IndiaDivine.org

to Devi Mandir Family: Learning from Chapter 8

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Devi Mandir Family ~ what I learned from Chapter 8

1. You can never rest on your laurels, for, just when you think you've weeded that last tricky thought more

thoughts will be waiting in the wings to at attack. It may be a direct assault, or it may be an obsequious fawning, but nevertheless there they will be.

2. Thoughts give rise to more thoughts. I never thought of it this way, until reading Chapter 8 of the Chandi Path. But after I read it, I began to peek in on my thoughts, and I saw how very true that was, at least for me.

One Example: how could she treat me like that --> I never thought she was that kind of person --> now she'll never pay back the money she owes me --> she must know how badly I need it for my medical bills --> how could I ever believe she was my best friend --> she's terrible (or I'm terrible or I'm an idiot) --> I can't stand it

--> Then sooner or later thoughts give rise to action; in the example above crying for the loss of my friend and my money (see, I told you I was like the king and the businessman) or storming around in anger (until I knock into something and wake myself up).

Actually, the above was a very interesting exercise of just taking one thought and seeing the trail it made as it moved forward into action. That's why I need to be ever alert. The way is to stop the process by remembering the Supreme Goddess and focusing on Her instead. One way would be the tratak (as srini suggested ... the moment I take my awareness away from the thought and "see" Durga in my mind, in that moment, the thought "dies." Another way would be to chant a mantra, for me, usually the Durga mantra. A thought still might "knock at my door," but if I let it go, and keep to the image or the mantra, it gives up and goes away.

3. If I remember the Goddess, I will have peace.

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

Ch. 8

1. When the Ego is threatened, the thoughts start raining down

2. When Desire is attacked, it begins to loose it's power

3. Even the Great Goddess received Help!

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:59 AM, <nierika wrote:

Dear Devi Mandir Family ~ what I learned from Chapter 8

1. You can never rest on your laurels, for, just when you think you've weeded that last tricky thought more

thoughts will be waiting in the wings to at attack. It may be a direct assault, or it may be an obsequious fawning, but nevertheless there they will be.

2. Thoughts give rise to more thoughts. I never thought of it this way, until reading Chapter 8 of the Chandi Path. But after I read it, I began to peek in on my thoughts, and I saw how very true that was, at least for me.

One Example: how could she treat me like that --> I never thought she was that kind of person --> now she'll never pay back the money she owes me --> she must know how badly I need it for my medical bills --> how could I ever believe she was my best friend --> she's terrible (or I'm terrible or I'm an idiot) --> I can't stand it

--> Then sooner or later thoughts give rise to action; in the example above crying for the loss of my friend and my money (see, I told you I was like the king and the businessman) or storming around in anger (until I knock into something and wake myself up).

Actually, the above was a very interesting exercise of just taking one thought and seeing the trail it made as it moved forward into action. That's why I need to be ever alert. The way is to stop the process by remembering the Supreme Goddess and focusing on Her instead. One way would be the tratak (as srini suggested ... the moment I take my awareness away from the thought and " see " Durga in my mind, in that moment, the thought " dies. " Another way would be to chant a mantra, for me, usually the Durga mantra. A thought still might " knock at my door, " but if I let it go, and keep to the image or the mantra, it gives up and goes away.

3. If I remember the Goddess, I will have peace.

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!