IndiaDivine.org

Walking the Path (Reply to Ann)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaste Ann,

Many thanks for your words of encouragement.

Regarding your question. I do not see the colour black as taboo though I personally prefer to wear lighter and brighter colours, it is a matter of choice. If however, you find yourself with too many black clothing it would be worthwhile to seek Beloved Maa or Swamiji's advice to see whether this is in your best interest.

Just as the sea appears blue from the distance but in reality is transparent just so the Beautiful Goddess Kali appears black (absent of colour) to the naked eye that sees Her from the distance and fear the unknown. Kali appears black because She takes all of our blackness away and replaces that darkness with light. As we come closer to Kali we recognize that She is the playful, compassionate One who walks and talks with us even carrying our loads as garland and girdle as we go through the many stages of life.

Kali is a feminine form of the Sanskrit word "kala," meaning "time". It also means "black". Kali has therefore been translated variously as "She who is time,She who devours time,She who is the Mother of time,She who is black," and "She who is black time". She is the Goddess who provides moksha or liberation to Her children.

The colour of the skin does not matter it is the energy that flows within. There is a singer India Arie (I think) who has a song with lyrics that goes like - I am not my hair, I am not my skin, I am the soul that lives within. People everywhere interpret things according to what knowledge is available to them or what they want to accept; here in the area where I live, the eastern way of worship is criticized by about 90% or more. It is all well and good to have an altar in the church but it is taboo to have one in your home or to burn incense or candles at home except for a romantic dinner or soaking in the tub. I once asked my older sister on the anniversary of our mom's passing to light a candle and pray for her soul, she asked what does lighting the candle signify and why can't she pray without lighting the candle.

My dear Ann, this is a bit longwinded – apologies - I hope that this will in some way help. and look forward to comments from the group.

"Is Kali, my Divine Mother, of a black complexion? She appears black because She is viewed from a distance; but when intimately known She is no longer so.The sky appears blue at a distance, but look at it close by and you will find that it has no colour. The water of the ocean looks blue at a distance,but when you go near and take it in your hand, you find that it is colourless."

.... Ramakrishna Paramhansa (1836-86)

Jai Maa Jai Swamiji Jai Kali

-

-- In , "Ann McQuaid" <laughinglife wrote:>> Namaste maadevi-> > I also very much look forward to your posts and thank you for sharing this> with us.> > I'd like to raise a question related to something you had mentioned.> > I am very curious as to why the wearing of Black clothes is taboo? I've> tried to ask people about it, but no one that I've asked seems to know> exactly why or been able to give me a straight answer. There probably isn't> just one answer... Is it associated with "Black magic" or something? And> what about people with a dark skin tone? Are they suppossed to be eternally> damned?? I'm just wondering because I think it is a BEAUTIFUL color and the> concept of it being EVERY color and the idea of "Black Consciousness" as a> resistance to oppression and suffering. Even, the Almighty Kali Maa is Black> then why do people shun the color? I've been wondering this for awhile.> > I'd be interested to hear people's perspectives.> > Chandi Maa Ki Jai!> > Ann> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM, maadevi55 maadevi55 wrote:> > > Namaste dear ones;> >> >> >> > My interested in the *Eastern teachings *started on hearing of Goddesses> > Kali. There was something in the description of this Beautiful Goddess> > that just could not leave this consciousness. I recall each month the group> > where I prayed would have a pleasance – this was a form of offering to the> > divine through dance, or skit - and I tried in every way this limited> > mind could think to depict Goddess Ka in my offerings, dressing in black and> > painting lipstick all the way down my chin to represent the outstretched> > tongue of the Goddess. It was this deep desire to learn more of Kali and> > the willing hand of Beloved Swamiji, that led me to the Beloved Lotus Feet> > of Shree Maa.> >> >> >> > Over the next few times I will like to share some of the changes that have> > occurred in my life because of the discipline taught by Beloved Maa and> > Swamiji. A discipline which has granted me a much better understanding> > of my purpose on this earth and the knowledge that I am not the doer.> >> >> >> > Jai Maa> >> >> >> > > >>

maadevi,

Thank you for your response. It appreciated hearing your point of view.

It seems as if the Grace flows right through your fingertips as you press away at the keys.....BEAUTIFULLY written.

Thank you also for your Courage to follow your path in a place that sounds, for the most part, to be averse to Eastern spirituality. What a Bright Light you must be to people around you who have just begun the journey.

Thank you so much for taking the time to repond.

Jai Maa Kali

Jai Chandi

Jai Devi Mandir Family

Ann

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM, maadevi55 <maadevi55 wrote:

Namaste Ann,

Many thanks for your words of encouragement.

Regarding your question. I do not see the colour black as taboo though I personally prefer to wear lighter and brighter colours, it is a matter of choice. If however, you find yourself with too many black clothing it would be worthwhile to seek Beloved Maa or Swamiji's advice to see whether this is in your best interest.

Just as the sea appears blue from the distance but in reality is transparent just so the Beautiful Goddess Kali appears black (absent of colour) to the naked eye that sees Her from the distance and fear the unknown. Kali appears black because She takes all of our blackness away and replaces that darkness with light. As we come closer to Kali we recognize that She is the playful, compassionate One who walks and talks with us even carrying our loads as garland and girdle as we go through the many stages of life.

Kali is a feminine form of the Sanskrit word " kala, " meaning " time " . It also means " black " . Kali has therefore been translated variously as " She who is time, " " She who devours time, " " She who is the Mother of time, " " She who is black, " and " She who is black time " . She is the Goddess who provides moksha or liberation to Her children.

The colour of the skin does not matter it is the energy that flows within. There is a singer India Arie (I think) who has a song with lyrics that goes like - I am not my hair, I am not my skin, I am the soul that lives within. People everywhere interpret things according to what knowledge is available to them or what they want to accept; here in the area where I live, the eastern way of worship is criticized by about 90% or more. It is all well and good to have an altar in the church but it is taboo to have one in your home or to burn incense or candles at home except for a romantic dinner or soaking in the tub. I once asked my older sister on the anniversary of our mom's passing to light a candle and pray for her soul, she asked what does lighting the candle signify and why can't she pray without lighting the candle.

My dear Ann, this is a bit longwinded – apologies - I hope that this will in some way help. and look forward to comments from the group.

" Is Kali, my Divine Mother, of a black complexion? She appears black because She is viewed from a distance; but when intimately known She is no longer so.

The sky appears blue at a distance, but look at it close by and you will find that it has no colour. The water of the ocean looks blue at a distance,but when you go near and take it in your hand, you find that it is colourless. "

.... Ramakrishna Paramhansa (1836-86)

Jai Maa Jai Swamiji Jai Kali

-

-- In , " Ann McQuaid " <laughinglife wrote:>> Namaste maadevi-> > I also very much look forward to your posts and thank you for sharing this

> with us.> > I'd like to raise a question related to something you had mentioned.> > I am very curious as to why the wearing of Black clothes is taboo? I've> tried to ask people about it, but no one that I've asked seems to know

> exactly why or been able to give me a straight answer. There probably isn't> just one answer... Is it associated with " Black magic " or something? And> what about people with a dark skin tone? Are they suppossed to be eternally

> damned?? I'm just wondering because I think it is a BEAUTIFUL color and the> concept of it being EVERY color and the idea of " Black Consciousness " as a> resistance to oppression and suffering. Even, the Almighty Kali Maa is Black

> then why do people shun the color? I've been wondering this for awhile.> > I'd be interested to hear people's perspectives.> > Chandi Maa Ki Jai!> > Ann>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM, maadevi55 maadevi55 wrote:> > > Namaste dear ones;> >> >> >> > My interested in the *Eastern teachings *started on hearing of Goddesses

> > Kali. There was something in the description of this Beautiful Goddess> > that just could not leave this consciousness. I recall each month the group> > where I prayed would have a pleasance – this was a form of offering to the

> > divine through dance, or skit - and I tried in every way this limited> > mind could think to depict Goddess Ka in my offerings, dressing in black and> > painting lipstick all the way down my chin to represent the outstretched

> > tongue of the Goddess. It was this deep desire to learn more of Kali and> > the willing hand of Beloved Swamiji, that led me to the Beloved Lotus Feet> > of Shree Maa.> >> >

> >> > Over the next few times I will like to share some of the changes that have> > occurred in my life because of the discipline taught by Beloved Maa and> > Swamiji. A discipline which has granted me a much better understanding

> > of my purpose on this earth and the knowledge that I am not the doer.> >> >> >> > Jai Maa> >> >> >> > > >>