IndiaDivine.org

to Sankar about sharing Banares

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sankar ~ thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed account about Banares and what you were able to do with Maa and Swamiji and the Devi Mandir Family. For those of us who are unable to go, these accounts are like gems for they shine into our hearts and add to our understanding. And thanks also for the links to the pictures ... wow! ... The historical information was great too ... to put it all in context. I thought that ghats had something to do with the cremation grounds, and, unless I misread your account, that seems to be true. But also interesting that they are steps to the Ghanga. How blessed, to have the opportunity to see the Ghanga, to ride her in a boat, to celebrate puja at her banks. This will add food to my soul for a long time. Jai Maa , Jai Swamiji ~ Linda

P.S. I second the question about the songs, and also to anyone in the group who may know of what happened to the Devi Mandir songbook. For awhile it was in the Bookstore, but now it is gone, and I would so love to have a copy.

Sankar wrote:

....Now something about Banares. Banares aka Kasi and Varanasi is theholiest city for the Hindus. In the words of M.A. Sherring who wroteabout the city in 1868, "It is acknowledged throughout the world as acore of the Hindu tradition and a seat of ancient learning. It is acity where where infinity, continuity, the past and present livetogether. There are few cities in the world of greater antiquity, andnone that have so uninterruptedly maintained their ancient celebrityand distinction."...One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!