IndiaDivine.org

to Sergio about scorching experience

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sergio ~ I understand the feeling of non-acceptance, though I have been fortunate not to encounter it from any of Indian/Hindu culture or faith. Both of the temples I've visited (the Shri Shiva Vishnu Temple in Maryland ... very large temple ... and a smaller one here in Lowell, Massachusetts), I went, left my shoes in the opening lobby. Sometimes I had gifts of food to bring, sometimes not. Both temples had small altars to different deities placed around the main large worship room. I loved to go and visit each one, to bow down, to honor, to love and appreciate ... even the ones I did not know. I guess there are some who would be horrified by me doing this, but fortunately the people who were there took it in stride, and some even came and greeted me. At the Shri Shiva Vishnu Temple, after I had circumambulated the room, my sister (she took me there) and I went over to where a bramachara was offering worship to Hanuman. Even though I couldn't understand the words, the bhav of the worship caught me up. I almost cry, just from the re-telling of it. Then at the end, the bramachara (not sure if this word is the right one), the "priest," gave us prasad. I can still remember how I felt because the feeling was so good. I have gone up to Indians I have not known , but because of how they are dressed and just said hello, Namaste. I have been very privileged that none looked askance at me or were offended. I was saying I love and appreciate your land, your culture, your spiritual traditions.

I loved to go to a wonderful store in Boise, Idaho, owned and operated by Indians, This was when I lived nearby in Oregon. Their store was amazing. Some of what they were selling was just "stuff," clothes and beads and other things, but they also had murtis, incense, a lot of devotional items. At the checkout, the young women seemed embarrassed at my interest in the murtis. But then I said "Namaste," and told her how I loved the many Gods and Goddesses. She looked at me with sheep eyes and said, "But we know there is only One God," as if she thought I would still be offended. I smiled at her broadly and said, but in many forms. She smiled back and said, "yes," then invited me to come again. Anyhow, I guess I have been very fortunate not to have a scorched feeling from any interactions.

Jai Maa , Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Sergio wrote:

One thing I cannot stand is & #8216;Hindutva & #8217; and the idea that Sanatana Dharma somehow onlyapplies to ethnic Indians. This is an annoying attitude I have often comeacross. A problem with the ashram I visited, I guess, is that they do notemphasise bhakti in particular & #8211; which is what I am after, really. Ifeel more at ease with Devi Mandir, because its concern appears to be verymuch on devotion (after the example of Sri Ramakrishna).One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!