IndiaDivine.org

to vish and all about aarti at the Mandir, questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear vish and all ~ as I mentioned in my welcome home note, I was able for the first time to tune in to and watch and experience the evening aarti. Now I have a bunch of questions that I hope you or someone can answer. This is what I wrote last night, to send to the Digest and Devi Mandir Family.

NOTE AND QUESTIONS: Last night, for the first time, I was able to be present at my computer for the arti and satsang that started at about 9:05 my time (EST). I wished the webcam would occasionally show Shree Maa since Her beautiful voice was so prominent and beautiful in the chanting. Perhaps there is a reason for keeping the webcam on the altar. But now I have some questions about what is happening and I hope that someone, or several, may be able to help me out.

At first, before the chanting, there was violin music, and then a devotee came out and waved a number of items to pass around all the deities on the altar, and aside from the light, which I recognized, I could not tell what some of these things were, or if I could tell, I didn't know what their purpose was. For example, there was an umbrella. Is that a reference to Ganesha? And there was something that looked like a frond of some type of grass. If anyone could let me know what the items are that are waved before the deierties are and for what purpose, it would enhance my watching, listening, and hopefully my participation at the altar I see through my computer.

I would also very much like to know what it was that was chanted. The only two words I could really understand were the swaha at the end, and occasionally the word, "Durgai." And is this same verse chanted each time, or does it change from time to time. Is there one of the books that it's in so that I could read and recite along with everyone? (I think it would take me awhile to get up to speed, so to speak, for the chanting went very quickly.)

And, finally, once again, is it possible to turn the webcame towards Shree Maa and the devotees who are conversing? I wanted so much to see her and them.

In a message dated 12/3/2008 12:44:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, writes:

Shree Maa and iSwami arrived home safe and soundSunday to the Devi Mandir. They were in good spirits and happy to behome. Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.