IndiaDivine.org

to Manjushri about celebration

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Manjushri ~ Nowrooz is indeed a wonderful celebration. I so appreciate all your sharing about its origins, its purpose, and its celebration. That honoring and celebrating a new beginning is also representative of the triumph of good over evil, makes this day very significant. All the positive ways that this is done through the various actions would put everyone's heart and intent focused on these wonderful, well, I want to say ideas, but I know it is more than that, so I will say occurances. In my family most holidays were celebrated in a secular way predominantly. It must be so wonderful to grow up in a family and a culture where these kinds of traditions are retained. Oh, all my words sound so intellectual when your description was so marvelous. I agree ... celebrate the diversity! Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

~ Linda

Manjushri wrote:

Nowrooz is a Zorastrian tradition that still continues in Iran's post Islamic era. Nowrooz is to welcome Spring, which begins on 21st March every year. The Persian calender which is a solar calender does not rotate as compared to the calender which is normally used, whereas the Hindu and Arabic calenders do; therefore Nowruz falls on the same day year after year. It is celebrated in India, Afghanistan, Iraq, Turkey, Pakistan and Central Asia.The Haft Sin is an arrangement of seven items starting with the Persian alphabet 'Seen'- Seer (Garlic), Sirkeh (Vinegar), Samanu (a sweet made of sprouted wheat), Senjed (a berry), Sib (Apple), Sekkeh (Coin)and Sabzeh (sprouted wheat or pulses). Red fishes in a bowl, a mirror, coloured eggs and candles are also part of the arrangement.Nowruz is symbolic of new beginnings and a victory of good over evil. People clean their homes, make new clothes and sprout seeds symbolically welcoming new beginning.On the last wednesday of the previous year people light bonfires and jump over it asking the fire to take their paleness and to give them the pink of health. So the rituals are in a way similar to Holi, Lent & Easter and Spring Equinox celebrations in different parts of the world. ...Iranians really put their heart and souls into all the rituals described above. Nowrooz happens to be one of the few pre-islamic festivals retained lovingly by people after the onset of Islam in Iran.So while Maa and Kamalaji are preparing Durga Maa's murtis for Navratra, I have been cleaning the house and preparing the Haft Seen...., as many Christians have been celebrating lent, ash wednesday and easter... How I love the diversity!!!! A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!