IndiaDivine.org

Why Nine Days of Navaratri?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri Celebration, or

any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or symbolism of this

celebration for Hindus, and why is it " nine " days in duration, instead of some

other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this question.

Kamala

Guest guest

4navaratri x 9 days = 36 = 3+6 = 9?--- On Wed, 3/25/09, kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india wrote:kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india[www.ShreeMaa.org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri? Received: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:57 AM

Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it "nine" days in duration, instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this question.

Kamala

Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Guest guest

Namaste Kamalaji, Eric and Everybody,

Thanks for the question Kamalaji!

I know Swamiji has explained in the FAQs why we celebrate Navaratri at these

specific times of the year! The eager learners have to go find the answer in

shreemaa.org website (FAQs) :)

i heard that 9 is a sacred number -- remember 9 Durgas from Cosmic Puja and also

9 grahas (Planets).

i found an article from HinduismToday which talks more about numbers -- 108 and

9 :)

i am copying a part of it here if you are interested! :)

Did You Know The Significance of 108

It is said that the cosmos is mystically connected to the number 108, for

reasons yet to be comprehended. Many have wondered at the sacredness of 108.

Certainly, its application to nearly all things holy is in itself significant,

including the number of beads on a japa mala that are counted while repeating a

mantra and the number of names of a God or Goddess chanted during puja while

offering flowers. But what is the meaning behind its significance?

In numerology, 108 breaks down to 1 + 0 + 8 = 9. Nine is a mystically charged

number, and the sum of the digits resulting from any number multiplied by 9

always returns to 9.

Vedic astrology divides the heavens into 27 moon signs, called nakshatras, each

with 4 padas, making 108 padas in all, giving 108 basic kinds of human nature.

The pada occupied by the moon at the time of birth indicates the nature of one's

career, pleasures, family and path to liberation.

In astronomy, Vedic seers calculated that the distance between the Earth and

Moon is 108 times the diameter of the Moon, the distance between the Earth and

Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Sun, and the diameter of the Sun is 108

times the diameter of the Earth. These numbers are remarkably close to the

results of calculations based on modern scientific measurements using the

average distances between Earth and the Moon and Earth and the Sun.

Ayurveda tells us that there are 108 marmas, points in the body, where

consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being. Similarly,

the lines of the mystical, mesmerizing Sri Chakra Yantra intersect in 54 points,

each with a masculine and feminine quality, totalling 108.

In explaining the number of beads on a japa mala, some say that 108 are the

number of steps a soul takes to reach the Divine within himself. With this

sacred number appearing in so many intersections between the Divine and the

human, it is no wonder that Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs and Taoists find

that offerings of 108 help us remain in harmony with God's perfect universe.

Om! Jai Maa! :)

, Eric Cassils <Quanchula1 wrote:

>

> 4navaratri x 9 days = 36 = 3+6 = 9?

>

> --- On Wed, 3/25/09, kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india wrote:

>

> kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india

> [www.ShreeMaa.org] Why " Nine " Days of Navaratri?

>

> Received: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:57 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri

Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or

symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it " nine " days in duration,

instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this

question.

>

> Kamala

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new

Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta.messenger./

>

Guest guest

Namaste Kamalaji;

Thank you for the questions.

Mahishasura, the demon with the power to change into a buffalo obtained a boon from Lord Brahma that he could not be killed by any man in the world. Puffed up by the protection of the boon, he Mahishasura set out to conquer the three worlds and drove away Gods from their kingdom. To protect the world the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva united their powers to give birth to a female warrior-goddess Durga. Dazzled by the divine beauty, Mahishasura proposed the Goddess for marriage but was instead challenged to a duel that went on for nine days and nights, ending with the slaying of the demon. It is said that Asvin and Chaitra (Vaishak) are like the two jaws of Lord Yama. If one wants to escape the mouth of Yama, then one should celebrate Navaratri on these two occasions.

Vaishak is signifies the start of "VIKRAM SAMBAT" or the Hindu New Year. In the Tattva Jnana by Swami Satyananda Saraswati, we learn of the Threes, they are everywhere and pervade everything. Nine is eternal, and nine days of Navartri gives us the opportunity to divide the time equally in adoring the main aspects of Supreme Goddess Mother in the forms of Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati. There are also the nine forms of Durga, the city of the nine gates. In the first three days we rid of any impurities. The next three days being consumed with the purity and love of the divine we get to experience the true wealth – love, calm, feeling of oneness and the final three days wrapped in the bhava of spiritual wealth and seated at Beloved Feet of Guruji we experience the wisdom and understanding of our true nature and purpose in life.

Jai Chandi Maa ki Jai

Kali , "kamalaji_india" <kamalaji_india wrote:>> Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it "nine" days in duration, instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this question.> Kamala>

Guest guest

Namaste Ramya, Kamalaji, Eric, and everybody!!

This is an interesting excerpt, Ramya.

While I know this listserv is devoted to Hinduism, I might also mention that the

number 108 (or, 18) is significant in Judaism as well.

In the Hebrew language, each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numerical

value (this study is called gematria). The word for 'life,' in Hebrew, is

'chai' (not pronounced like the tea, but rather with a gutteral, rolling sound

-- like chutzpah or challah).

If you add up the numerical value of the two letters in the word chai, it equals

18 (1 + 8 = 9; same as 108). The relationship to the number 9 and life does not

go unnoticed, for both traditional Jews and Kabbalists.

As the saying goes -- there are many paths to the same goal. And when you get

past the dogma, similarities appear. Something must be right!!!

:)

Jai Maa

ambika

, " n_ramya108 " <n_ramya108 wrote:

>

> Namaste Kamalaji, Eric and Everybody,

>

> Thanks for the question Kamalaji!

>

> I know Swamiji has explained in the FAQs why we celebrate Navaratri at these

specific times of the year! The eager learners have to go find the answer in

shreemaa.org website (FAQs) :)

>

> i heard that 9 is a sacred number -- remember 9 Durgas from Cosmic Puja and

also 9 grahas (Planets).

>

> i found an article from HinduismToday which talks more about numbers -- 108

and 9 :)

>

> i am copying a part of it here if you are interested! :)

>

> Did You Know The Significance of 108

>

> It is said that the cosmos is mystically connected to the number 108, for

reasons yet to be comprehended. Many have wondered at the sacredness of 108.

Certainly, its application to nearly all things holy is in itself significant,

including the number of beads on a japa mala that are counted while repeating a

mantra and the number of names of a God or Goddess chanted during puja while

offering flowers. But what is the meaning behind its significance?

>

> In numerology, 108 breaks down to 1 + 0 + 8 = 9. Nine is a mystically charged

number, and the sum of the digits resulting from any number multiplied by 9

always returns to 9.

>

> Vedic astrology divides the heavens into 27 moon signs, called nakshatras,

each with 4 padas, making 108 padas in all, giving 108 basic kinds of human

nature. The pada occupied by the moon at the time of birth indicates the nature

of one's career, pleasures, family and path to liberation.

>

> In astronomy, Vedic seers calculated that the distance between the Earth and

Moon is 108 times the diameter of the Moon, the distance between the Earth and

Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Sun, and the diameter of the Sun is 108

times the diameter of the Earth. These numbers are remarkably close to the

results of calculations based on modern scientific measurements using the

average distances between Earth and the Moon and Earth and the Sun.

>

> Ayurveda tells us that there are 108 marmas, points in the body, where

consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being. Similarly,

the lines of the mystical, mesmerizing Sri Chakra Yantra intersect in 54 points,

each with a masculine and feminine quality, totalling 108.

>

> In explaining the number of beads on a japa mala, some say that 108 are the

number of steps a soul takes to reach the Divine within himself. With this

sacred number appearing in so many intersections between the Divine and the

human, it is no wonder that Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs and Taoists find

that offerings of 108 help us remain in harmony with God's perfect universe.

>

> Om! Jai Maa! :)

>

> , Eric Cassils <Quanchula1@> wrote:

> >

> > 4navaratri x 9 days = 36 = 3+6 = 9?

> >

> > --- On Wed, 3/25/09, kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@> wrote:

> >

> > kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@>

> > [www.ShreeMaa.org] Why " Nine " Days of Navaratri?

> >

> > Received: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:57 AM

> > Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri

Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or

symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it " nine " days in duration,

instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this

question.

> >

> > Kamala

>

Guest guest

CHAI IS LIFE...especially around Saints and during non-sleeping/heavy sadhana periods ;)

Sanskrit also assign numerical values to each akshara (letter). It is my personal belief, and Swamiji told me the same, that Hebrew came out of Sanskrit. If you look at the particular niche of the words in the Spiritual/Mystic genre, you will see so many very close similarities.

JAI MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Surya

-

way131

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:10 AM

Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri?

Namaste Ramya, Kamalaji, Eric, and everybody!!This is an interesting excerpt, Ramya. While I know this listserv is devoted to Hinduism, I might also mention that the number 108 (or, 18) is significant in Judaism as well. In the Hebrew language, each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numerical value (this study is called gematria). The word for 'life,' in Hebrew, is 'chai' (not pronounced like the tea, but rather with a gutteral, rolling sound -- like chutzpah or challah).If you add up the numerical value of the two letters in the word chai, it equals 18 (1 + 8 = 9; same as 108). The relationship to the number 9 and life does not go unnoticed, for both traditional Jews and Kabbalists.As the saying goes -- there are many paths to the same goal. And when you get past the dogma, similarities appear. Something must be right!!! :)Jai Maaambika , "n_ramya108" <n_ramya108 wrote:>> Namaste Kamalaji, Eric and Everybody,> > Thanks for the question Kamalaji!> > I know Swamiji has explained in the FAQs why we celebrate Navaratri at these specific times of the year! The eager learners have to go find the answer in shreemaa.org website (FAQs) :)> > i heard that 9 is a sacred number -- remember 9 Durgas from Cosmic Puja and also 9 grahas (Planets).> > i found an article from HinduismToday which talks more about numbers -- 108 and 9 :)> > i am copying a part of it here if you are interested! :)> > Did You Know The Significance of 108> > It is said that the cosmos is mystically connected to the number 108, for reasons yet to be comprehended. Many have wondered at the sacredness of 108. Certainly, its application to nearly all things holy is in itself significant, including the number of beads on a japa mala that are counted while repeating a mantra and the number of names of a God or Goddess chanted during puja while offering flowers. But what is the meaning behind its significance?> > In numerology, 108 breaks down to 1 + 0 + 8 = 9. Nine is a mystically charged number, and the sum of the digits resulting from any number multiplied by 9 always returns to 9.> > Vedic astrology divides the heavens into 27 moon signs, called nakshatras, each with 4 padas, making 108 padas in all, giving 108 basic kinds of human nature. The pada occupied by the moon at the time of birth indicates the nature of one's career, pleasures, family and path to liberation.> > In astronomy, Vedic seers calculated that the distance between the Earth and Moon is 108 times the diameter of the Moon, the distance between the Earth and Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Sun, and the diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. These numbers are remarkably close to the results of calculations based on modern scientific measurements using the average distances between Earth and the Moon and Earth and the Sun.> > Ayurveda tells us that there are 108 marmas, points in the body, where consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being. Similarly, the lines of the mystical, mesmerizing Sri Chakra Yantra intersect in 54 points, each with a masculine and feminine quality, totalling 108.> > In explaining the number of beads on a japa mala, some say that 108 are the number of steps a soul takes to reach the Divine within himself. With this sacred number appearing in so many intersections between the Divine and the human, it is no wonder that Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs and Taoists find that offerings of 108 help us remain in harmony with God's perfect universe.> > Om! Jai Maa! :)> > , Eric Cassils <Quanchula1@> wrote:> >> > 4navaratri x 9 days = 36 = 3+6 = 9?> > > > --- On Wed, 3/25/09, kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@> wrote:> > > > kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@>> > [www.ShreeMaa.org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri?> > > > Received: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:57 AM> > Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it "nine" days in duration, instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this question.> > > > Kamala >

Guest guest

It also seems that there is something special about the number nine, nine to any power when added reduces back to 9. 9 is self-contained and self-recursive, within any multiplication of itself, and thus it is a fractal net of unity in diversity and wholeness. --- On Fri, 3/27/09, Surya <mahamuni wrote:Surya <mahamuniRe: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri? Received: Friday, March 27, 2009, 2:20 PM

CHAI IS LIFE...especially around Saints and during non-sleeping/ heavy sadhana periods ;)

Sanskrit also assign numerical values to each akshara (letter). It is my personal belief, and Swamiji told me the same, that Hebrew came out of Sanskrit. If you look at the particular niche of the words in the Spiritual/Mystic genre, you will see so many very close similarities.

JAI MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! !!

Surya

-

way131

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:10 AM

Re: [www.ShreeMaa. org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri?

Namaste Ramya, Kamalaji, Eric, and everybody!!This is an interesting excerpt, Ramya. While I know this listserv is devoted to Hinduism, I might also mention that the number 108 (or, 18) is significant in Judaism as well. In the Hebrew language, each letter of the alphabet is assigned a numerical value (this study is called gematria). The word for 'life,' in Hebrew, is 'chai' (not pronounced like the tea, but rather with a gutteral, rolling sound -- like chutzpah or challah).If you add up the numerical value of the two letters in the word chai, it equals 18 (1 + 8 = 9; same as 108). The relationship to the number 9 and life does not go unnoticed, for both traditional Jews and Kabbalists.As the saying goes -- there are many paths to the same goal. And when you get past the dogma, similarities appear. Something must be right!!! :)Jai Maaambika, "n_ramya108" <n_ramya108@ ...> wrote:>> Namaste Kamalaji, Eric and Everybody,> > Thanks for the question Kamalaji!> > I know Swamiji has explained in the FAQs why we celebrate Navaratri at these specific times of the year! The eager learners have to go find the answer in shreemaa.org website (FAQs) :)> > i heard that 9 is a sacred number -- remember 9 Durgas from Cosmic Puja and also 9 grahas (Planets).> > i found an article from HinduismToday which talks more about numbers -- 108 and 9 :)> > i am copying a part of it here if you are interested! :)> > Did You Know The Significance of 108> > It is said that the cosmos is mystically connected to the number 108, for reasons yet to be comprehended. Many have wondered at the sacredness of 108. Certainly, its application to nearly all things holy is in itself significant, including the number of beads on a japa mala that are counted while repeating a mantra and the number of names of a God or Goddess chanted during puja while offering flowers. But what is the meaning behind its significance?> > In numerology, 108 breaks down to 1 + 0 + 8 = 9. Nine is a mystically charged number, and the sum of the digits resulting from any number multiplied by 9 always returns to 9.> > Vedic astrology divides the heavens into 27 moon signs, called nakshatras, each with 4 padas, making 108 padas in all, giving 108 basic kinds of human nature. The pada occupied by the moon at the time of birth indicates the nature of one's career, pleasures, family and path to liberation.> > In astronomy, Vedic seers calculated that the distance between the Earth and Moon is 108 times the diameter of the Moon, the distance between the Earth and Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Sun, and the diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. These numbers are remarkably close to the results of calculations based on modern scientific measurements using the average distances between Earth and the Moon and Earth and the Sun.> > Ayurveda tells us that there are 108 marmas, points in the body, where consciousness and flesh intersect to give life to the living being. Similarly, the lines of the mystical, mesmerizing Sri Chakra Yantra intersect in 54 points, each with a masculine and feminine quality, totalling 108.> > In explaining the number of beads on a japa mala, some say that 108 are the number of steps a soul takes to reach the Divine within himself. With this sacred number appearing in so many intersections between the Divine and the human, it is no wonder that Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs and Taoists find that offerings of 108 help us remain in harmony with God's perfect universe.> > Om! Jai Maa! :)> > , Eric Cassils <Quanchula1@ > wrote:> >> > 4navaratri x 9 days = 36 = 3+6 = 9?> > > > --- On Wed, 3/25/09, kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@ > wrote:> > > > kamalaji_india <kamalaji_india@ >> > [www.ShreeMaa. org] Why "Nine" Days of Navaratri?> > > > Received: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:57 AM> > Does anyone know the origin of this upcoming Vaishak Navaratri Celebration, or any of the four Navaratri periods? What is the meaning or symbolism of this celebration for Hindus, and why is it "nine" days in duration, instead of some other length of time? Thanks for your consideration of this question.> > > > Kamala >

Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Guest guest

From this discussion about 9s,, 54s and 108s, it seems that there is something special about the number nine in that the

product of nine to any exponent at limits of 0 to infinity when added

reduces back to 9. 9 is self-contained and self-recursive, within any

multiplication of itself, and thus it is a fractal net of unity in

diversity and suggests a signature of divine wholeness. 36 days of

Navaratri is approximately 1/10th of a sidereal year (about 366 days),

leaving 9/10ths of the year which is not navaratri, a ratio of 9:1 in

time, thus the Kalendar is divided to reflect the number of Her Forms

in ratios of time within units of nine upon the wheel of the yearly

cycle. Yet She is described as being Beyond Time and there is

something eternal about the number 9 in that it is omnipresent in the

sum of any of its multiples, one navatri multiplies the next and so on,

and yet the intrinsic nature of 9 self-existently pervades, do the Nine

Durgas provide gateway through linear time into eternity?

Daniel Tammet a man with Savant Syndrome can do fantastic calculations

in his head and has claimed to relate better with numbers than people.

He perceives each number as a distinct shape, personality and identity.

To him the number nine appears as a towering, intimidating pillar of

shining blue glass and interestingly in the Chandi She is compared to a

shining blue gem.

Guest guest

Hi Eric,

Thanks. That was great to know.

~Lalita

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 Eric Cassils wrote :

> From this discussion about 9s,, 54s and 108s, it seems that there is something special about the number nine in that the

>product of nine to any exponent at limits of 0 to infinity when added

>reduces back to 9. 9 is self-contained and self-recursive, within any

>multiplication of itself, and thus it is a fractal net of unity in

>diversity and suggests a signature of divine wholeness. 36 days of

>Navaratri is approximately 1/10th of a sidereal year (about 366 days),

>leaving 9/10ths of the year which is not navaratri, a ratio of 9:1 in

>time, thus the Kalendar is divided to reflect the number of Her Forms

>in ratios of time within units of nine upon the wheel of the yearly

>cycle. Yet She is described as being Beyond Time and there is

>something eternal about the number 9 in that it is omnipresent in the

>sum of any of its multiples, one navatri multiplies the next and so on,

>and yet the intrinsic nature of 9 self-existently pervades, do the Nine

>Durgas provide gateway through linear time into eternity?

>

>

>Daniel Tammet a man with Savant Syndrome can do fantastic calculations

>in his head and has claimed to relate better with numbers than people.

>He perceives each number as a distinct shape, personality and identity.

>To him the number nine appears as a towering, intimidating pillar of

>shining blue glass and interestingly in the Chandi She is compared to a

>shining blue gem.

>

>

> ________________

>Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger./webmessengerpromo.php