IndiaDivine.org

namaste all, Paan questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

There is camphor in Buckley's, which is a popular cough medicine in Canada, so I don't think it is bad to ingest it in small amounts. I have seen inscriptions on packages of camphor that came from India saying it was imitation camphor, so there may be a difference of some kind between camphor that is imitation and natural camphor, if there is such a thing. Overall, I think if it is allowed in otc medications, it should be fairly harmless.

Om Jai Kali Ma! Om namah Shivaya!

Kumari--- On Sun, 4/12/09, bmarley343 <bmarley343 wrote:

bmarley343 <bmarley343[www.ShreeMaa.org] namaste all, Paan questions Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

does anyone know if traditional paan uses camphor? i hear its really bad to ingest camphor, being that it is an extract from turpentine. most supari on the market contains camphor. i am wondering if someone can help demystify this. thank you all!dan

Guest guest

There are so many varieties of paan. I do know for a fact that there are a lot of varieties that don't use camphor. But there may also be some varieties that do use a small amount. Camphor is used in small amounts as a flavoring in some sweets.

Camphor is a natural tree resin, and any imitation camphor would be a chemical substitution - you can't guarantee its safety. Camphor is a neurotoxin in large amounts, but has been used medicinally and for culinary purposes in very small amounts for centuries.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Joan Fisher <mjfisher2005 wrote:

There is camphor in Buckley's, which is a popular cough medicine in Canada, so I don't think it is bad to ingest it in small amounts.  I have seen inscriptions on packages of camphor that came from India saying it was imitation camphor, so there may be a difference of some kind between camphor that is imitation and natural camphor, if there is such a thing.  Overall, I think if it is allowed in otc medications, it should be fairly harmless.

Om Jai Kali Ma!  Om namah Shivaya!

Kumari--- On Sun, 4/12/09, bmarley343 <bmarley343 wrote:

bmarley343 <bmarley343

[www.ShreeMaa.org] namaste all, Paan questions Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

does anyone know if traditional paan uses camphor? i hear its really bad to ingest camphor, being that it is an extract from turpentine. most supari on the market contains camphor. i am wondering if someone

can help demystify this. thank you all!dan

-- ***You'll find Mother in any house. Do I dare say it in public? She is Bhairavi with Shiva, Durga with Her children, Sita with Lakshmana.

She's mother, daughter, wife, sister - Every woman close to you.What more can Ramprasad say? You work the rest out from these hints. - Ramprasad Sen (1720-1781)

Guest guest

the camphor used for cooking is different, milder, it is not the same as the camphor which we burn.

From: sundarikaliDate: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:49:19 -0700Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] namaste all, Paan questions

There are so many varieties of paan. I do know for a fact that there are a lot of varieties that don't use camphor. But there may also be some varieties that do use a small amount. Camphor is used in small amounts as a flavoring in some sweets.

Camphor is a natural tree resin, and any imitation camphor would be a chemical substitution - you can't guarantee its safety.

Camphor is a neurotoxin in large amounts, but has been used medicinally and for culinary purposes in very small amounts for centuries.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Joan Fisher <mjfisher2005 > wrote:

There is camphor in Buckley's, which is a popular cough medicine in Canada, so I don't think it is bad to ingest it in small amounts. I have seen inscriptions on packages of camphor that came from India saying it was imitation camphor, so there may be a difference of some kind between camphor that is imitation and natural camphor, if there is such a thing. Overall, I think if it is allowed in otc medications, it should be fairly harmless.

Om Jai Kali Ma! Om namah Shivaya!

Kumari--- On Sun, 4/12/09, bmarley343 (AT) aim (DOT) com <bmarley343 (AT) aim (DOT) com> wrote:

bmarley343 (AT) aim (DOT) com <bmarley343 (AT) aim (DOT) com>[www.ShreeMaa.org] namaste all, Paan questions Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 8:18 PM

does anyone know if traditional paan uses camphor? i hear its really bad to ingest camphor, being that it is an extract from turpentine. most supari on the market contains camphor. i am wondering if someone can help demystify this. thank you all!dan

-- ***You'll find Mother in any house. Do I dare say it in public? She is Bhairavi with Shiva, Durga with Her children, Sita with Lakshmana. She's mother, daughter, wife, sister - Every woman close to you.What more can Ramprasad say? You work the rest out from these hints. - Ramprasad Sen (1720-1781)

Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!