IndiaDivine.org

Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaste All,I wish you all a Happy New Year!I am often expected to

often spend time with family, and in the name of "responsibility" and “harmony†, I give them

required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day – I start my evening

sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is

punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.I feel cheated and remorseful when I have not enjoyed good sadhana. What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?

I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problemBest Regards,Sivakumar Patibanda

That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the advice as well

Jai Maa!

Kumari--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

Siva Kumar <sufi116[www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana! Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 3:21 PM

Namaste All,I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I am often expected to often spend time with family, and in the name of "responsibility" and “harmony†, I give them required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day – I start my evening sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.

I feel cheated and remorseful when I have not enjoyed good sadhana.

What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problemBest Regards,Sivakumar Patibanda

It seems to me that Swamis have generally left their families and devote their entire time to sadhana.For me as a householder it has been helpful to start wherever I am, with whatever time I have. To be true to myself. I have carved out time for it that everyone knows is committed to sadhana, and my family is supportive of this. If there is a really compelling reason to shift my sadhana, I will do it gladly, knowing that I will still complete the practice, even if it must be in an abbreviated form for that one day. If I fall off the wagon, so to speak, for a few days, then I start again as if from scratch. It keeps me honest and humble.

jai MA kamesvari-kulasundariOn Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

Namaste All,I wish you all a Happy New Year!I am often expected to

often spend time with family, and in the name of " responsibility "   and “harmony” , I give them

required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day – I start my evening

sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is

punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.I feel cheated and remorseful when I have not enjoyed good sadhana.

What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?

I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problemBest Regards,Sivakumar Patibanda

I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment, with every breath and every action? :)I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space for it.

jai MA kamesvari-kulasundariOn Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005 wrote:

That is a very good question.  I suffer at this point from a lack of energy due to having been sick earlier in the fall.  I am gradually working my way back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can.  I would appreciate the advice as well

Jai Maa!

Kumari--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

Siva Kumar <sufi116[www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 3:21 PM

I am often expected to often spend time with family, and in the name of " responsibility "   and “harmony” , I give them required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day – I start my evening sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.

What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?

Namaste,

ive found that my goal is to mix "formal" and "informal" sadhana together as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life. blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is devoting to god in all action.

swamiji often says how all of the viddhis in the puja are modular and that they can be expanded upon. so whenever someone needs you make that part of the puja you already started.

sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something you begin the "take out the garbage" viddhi, followed by another viddhi which maybe you are sitting back down. followed by driving kids to work chanting mantra viddhi. i feel that this is the sadhana that is relevant and appropriate to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i find my whole day can become puja and i stay in the state i get when i do my sitting "by the book" puja.

i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need my "me" time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make sense. i seek peace through every action. i found that when i was able to internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja.

if i get stuck in the mentality of duality, that this is puja, and that is worldly living. then how can i possibly worship all day.

jai ma, jai swamiji. thanks to them for this insight.

god blesses us with every step.

also something ive been feeling so strongly is that we dont need to do spiritual practice, which is practice being spiritual. everything already is spiritual. let us do puja because we love god, not because we want to become spiritual.

Kulasundari Devi <sundari

Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment, with every breath and every action? :)

I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space for it.

jai MA kamesvari

-kulasundari

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005 > wrote:

That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the advice as well

Jai Maa!

Kumari

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:

Siva Kumar <sufi116 >

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

Monday, January 4, 2010, 3:21 PM

Namaste All,

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I am often expected to often spend time with family, and in the name of "responsibility" and “harmony†, I give them required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day – I start my evening sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.

I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problem

Best Regards,

Sivakumar Patibanda

Yes, that is true. I do pretty much what you do. I keep my practice up regularly. It may not be at the same time every day. But inevitably there will be a day or several where I cannot keep it up, so I start again and ask Maa to forgive me. But it does seem like I have more and more of a taste for doing worship and reciting Chandi as time goes on.

I do not know how to keep Ma and Shiva in my mind constantly. All I know to do is to keep practicing, perhaps some day it will be natural and they will be with me always.

Jai Maa!

Kumari from Kitchener--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Kulasundari Devi <sundari wrote:

Kulasundari Devi <sundariRe: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana! Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 5:49 PM

I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment, with every breath and every action? :)

I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space for it.

jai MA kamesvari

-kulasundari

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005@ > wrote:

Jai Maa!

Kumari--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:

Siva Kumar <sufi116 >[www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problemBest Regards,Sivakumar Patibanda

Namaste All,Thank you (bmarley343) and the others for detailed reply.I agree with you about the need to lead a completely spiritual life rather than interspersing it with spiritual events like puja and japa.However, I find this to be a difficult practice to sustain because my old tendencies keep popping up at all "convenient" times with familiar solutions and I slide back to my old ways. I realize that in order to succeed with this practice I need a major revision of values at the core of myself instead of superficial value adjustments. It is only then that I can feel and seem authentic So,I need to strive constantly to change at the core. While I attempt to spiritualize my life thus, don't I need to continue to intersperse my life with

those spiritual

events. Isn't there a need to be

consistent and sincere for that brief moment of time?It is in this context that sweet sleep sometimes becomes such distraction in my sadhana.Thank you again for your prompt replies. May the Mother bless you with the unknowable.affectionately,Sivakumar Patibanda--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bmarley343 <bmarley343 wrote:bmarley343 <bmarley343Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!To:

Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 6:11 PM

Namaste,

ive found that my goal is to mix "formal" and "informal" sadhana together as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life. blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is devoting to god in all action.

swamiji often says how all of the viddhis in the puja are modular and that they can be expanded upon. so whenever someone needs you make that part of the puja you already started.

sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something you begin the "take out the garbage" viddhi, followed by another viddhi which maybe you are sitting back down. followed by driving kids to work chanting mantra viddhi. i feel that this is the sadhana that is relevant and appropriate to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i find my whole day can become puja and i stay in the state i get when i do my sitting "by the book" puja.

i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need my "me" time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make sense. i seek peace through every action. i found that when i was able to internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja.

if i get stuck in the mentality of duality, that this is puja, and that is worldly living. then how can i possibly worship all day.

jai ma, jai swamiji. thanks to them for this insight.

god blesses us with every step.

also something ive been feeling so strongly is that we dont need to do spiritual practice, which is practice being spiritual. everything already is spiritual. let us do puja because we love god, not because we want to become spiritual.

Kulasundari Devi <sundari@kamakhyaman dir.org>

Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

jai MA kamesvari

-kulasundari

Jai Maa!

Kumari

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:

Siva Kumar <sufi116 >

[www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

Namaste All,

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problem

Best Regards,

Sivakumar Patibanda

Hello Everyone, and peace and joy to you all in the New Year!

Thank you for this conversation, I hope I can jump in, as your thoughts and

words inspired me to share a few things.

I too experience a lack of sleep due to commitments and spiritual practices and

sometimes it helps me tremendously to pray before going to sleep, " Divine

Mother, please help this sleep to be restorative to my whole being so that I may

serve you well when I wake. " I also sometimes imagine myself sleeping in the

arms of Divine Mother as I am falling asleep, and when I wake (still tired after

not enough sleep) it helps to immediately begin thanking Mother for waking

consciousness and imagine offering Her my sleepiness and praying for Her clear

energy to enliven me and flow through me in joyful service to Her many forms for

the day.

(These are little, obvious things but have been really helpful to me many

times.)

And then sometimes I remind myself of how exuberantly joyful Swamiji is, even

when he has little sleep, and that always inspires me!!!! From him I learn that

prayer and worship can restore just as much or sometimes more than Her sweet

blessing of sleep, opening us as it does to Her inexhaustable energy.

Here's a prayer I love:

Oh Divine Mother,

May all my speech and idle talk be mantra

All actions of my hands be mudra

All eating and drinking be the offering of oblations unto thee

All lying down prostrations before thee

May all pleasures be as dedicating my entire self unto thee

May everything I do be taken as thy worship.

Jennifer

, bmarley343 wrote:

>

>

> Namaste,

>

> ive found that my goal is to mix " formal " and " informal " sadhana together

as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life.

blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is

devoting to god in all action.

>

> swamiji often says how all of the viddhis in the puja are modular and that

they can be expanded upon. so whenever someone needs you make that part of the

puja you already started.

>

> sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something

you begin the " take out the garbage " viddhi, followed by another viddhi which

maybe you are sitting back down. followed by driving kids to work chanting

mantra viddhi. i feel that this is the sadhana that is relevant and appropriate

to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i

find my whole day can become puja and i stay in the state i get when i do my

sitting " by the book " puja.

>

> i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need

my " me " time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make

sense. i seek peace through every action. i found that when i was able to

internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja.

>

> if i get stuck in the mentality of duality, that this is puja, and that is

worldly living. then how can i possibly worship all day.

>

> jai ma, jai swamiji. thanks to them for this insight.

>

> god blesses us with every step.

>

> also something ive been feeling so strongly is that we dont need to do

spiritual practice, which is practice being spiritual. everything already is

spiritual. let us do puja because we love god, not because we want to become

spiritual.

> Kulasundari Devi <sundari

>

> Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:49 pm

> Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

> I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment,

with every breath and every action? :)

>

>

> I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then

formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space

for it.

>

>

> jai MA kamesvari

> -kulasundari

>

>

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005 wrote:

That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy

due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way

back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable

to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the

advice as well

>

> Jai Maa!

> Kumari

>

> --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

>

>

> Siva Kumar <sufi116

> [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

> Monday, January 4, 2010, 3:21 PM

>

Namaste All,

>

> I wish you all a Happy New Year!

>

>

> I am often expected to often spend time with family, and in the name of

" responsibility " and “harmony†, I give them required time and attention

and then when everyone has retired for the day †" I start my evening sadhana.

This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by

my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor

quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did

they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I

can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?

>

> I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this

problem

>

> Best Regards,

>

> Sivakumar Patibanda

>

Namaste Shivakumar,

thank you for bringing up this interesting point of discussion.

You mention old tendencies keep popping up at 'convenient times', so that you

slide back in old ways. I am very familiar with the pattern, I am sorry to say,

and have slid back many times. Making us slide back to familiar terrain is what

old tendencies tend to do best:)

However, in my view, it is by means of our efforts at puja and japa that we have

also developed a tendency to want to sit with God, and this tendency is becoming

stronger through practice, no matter how inadequate we may feel our efforts to

be.

I don't mean to say that a person cannot lead a spiritual life without these

practices, some people can and do. But for others, establishing a regular

practice of puja and japa helps them to grow 'spiritual muscles'.

If I may speak for myself, I have found that the ego tends to react strongly to

this development. It says that if your spiritual muscles are not strong enough

to build a practice where you are on your asan at exactly the same time every

day, with 100 % devotion, you might as well leave off and go watch tv or

something. It says that if you can't do this perfectly, you may as well not do

it at all. I have found out he is lying, as always. Every time, no matter when

or how, we sit down to be with God, we get a blessing. Swamiji has said that the

times when our practice is the hardest, we gain the most, because those are the

times that we demonstrate the sincerity of our devotion.

I agree with you that there is great value in a consistent practice. It is how

we send a very clear message to the ego that we are not interested in what he

has to offer. And if the message is clear enough, he and his army of tendencies

will leave us alone, albeit for a short time, and that is where we begin to get

a taste of what life is like without catering to the ego all the time. That is

where real change begins, from the inside out. So I feel we need to make the

message as clear as possible. This may mean we have to speak to our loved ones

about our need for a time set apart for spiritual practice. Perhaps, in your

case, together you could find a time which would not make it necessary for you

to start so late at night.

But, about sleep: in a video class I watched recently, Swamiji said that if you

feel sleepy during japa or puja, it helps to just move a little, for example

adjust the position of your knees slightly. This will straighten your spine and

make you pay attention again.

Also, if you feel sleepy, I feel you could ask Mother to come and wake you up!

She can give you all the energy you need and more!

thank you for asking the question which has made me rethink the value of

consistent practice and strengthened my resolve to keep trying,

with love,

Henny

In , Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

>

> Namaste All,

>

> Thank you (bmarley343) and the others for detailed reply.

>

> I agree with you about the need to lead a completely spiritual life rather

than interspersing it with spiritual events like puja and japa.

>

> However, I find this to be a difficult practice to sustain because  my old

tendencies keep popping up at all " convenient " times with familiar solutions and

I slide back to my old ways. I realize that in order to succeed with this

practice I need a major revision of values at the core of myself instead of

superficial value adjustments. It is only then that I can feel and seem

authentic

>

> So,I need to strive constantly to change at the core.

>

> While I attempt to spiritualize my life thus, don't I need to continue to

intersperse my life with those spiritual

> events. Isn't there a need to be

> consistent and sincere for that brief moment of time?

>

> It is in this context that sweet sleep sometimes becomes such distraction in

my sadhana.

>

> Thank you again for your prompt replies.  May the Mother bless you with the

unknowable.

>

> affectionately,

>

> Sivakumar Patibanda

>

>

>

>

> --- On Mon, 1/4/10, bmarley343 <bmarley343 wrote:

>

> bmarley343 <bmarley343

> To:

>

> Monday, January 4, 2010, 6:11 PM

>

>

>

>

>

Namaste,

>

>

>  

>

>

>     ive found that my goal is to mix " formal " and " informal " sadhana

together as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a

spiritual life. blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true

sadhaka. one who is devoting to god in all action.

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

> sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something

to our time and circumstance.  if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i

>

>

>  

>

>

> i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need

my " me " time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make

internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja.

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

spiritual.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Kulasundari Devi <sundari@kamakhyaman dir.org>

>

>

>

>

> Re: [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment,

I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then

for it.

>

jai MA kamesvari

>

>

> -kulasundari

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

That is a very good question.  I suffer at this point from a lack of energy

due to having been sick earlier in the fall.  I am gradually working my way

to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can.  I would appreciate the

advice as well

>

>

>  

>

>

> Jai Maa!

>

>

> Kumari

>

>

>

> --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

> Siva Kumar <sufi116 >

>

> [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Namaste All,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

" responsibility "   and “harmony†, I give them required time and attention

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did

>

>

>

problem

>

>

>

> Best Regards,

>

>

>

> Sivakumar Patibanda

>

From the advaitic viewpoint I am already connected with God. I am the Self!

There is nothing for me to " do " . I have nothing to accomplish, it is already

true. I am able to hold onto this only in brief flashes, however. Most of the

time I think of myself as the Bhakta, someone different from Deity. Since that

is true, I must make efforts to make spiritual practice, even if that seems

artificial. I am not at that lofty plane where I can totally let them go. When

I am able to make sankalpa and follow it through consistantly, then perhaps I

will be ready for letting go of formal worship. Even then, though, Great

Spiritual teachers, like Ramakrishna (and Swamiji I am sure) hold on to a

semblance of formal worship for the good of others.

When I think of Shree Maa the picture that comes to my mind is of her setting up

shrines and altars in people's houses. What a lovely action! It touches my

heart. She established God within these households and gave them the blessing

of worship and meditation. Swamiji too, in giving out the keys to ritual

worship has done the same. All I ask is that Maa sets up the shrine within my

heart so She will be there always.

Jai Maa!

Kumari from Kitchener

, bmarley343 wrote:

>

>

> Namaste,

>

> ive found that my goal is to mix " formal " and " informal " sadhana together

as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life.

blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is

devoting to god in all action.

>

>

to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i

>

> i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need

>

>

>

>

spiritual.

> Kulasundari Devi <sundari

>

>

>

>

>

> I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment,

>

>

> I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then

for it.

>

>

> jai MA kamesvari

> -kulasundari

>

>

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005 wrote:

That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy

due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way

to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the

advice as well

>

> Jai Maa!

> Kumari

>

> --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 wrote:

>

>

> Siva Kumar <sufi116

> [www.ShreeMaa.org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

Namaste All,

>

>

>

" responsibility " and “harmony†, I give them required time and attention

>

>

>

>

>

>

> What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did

>

problem

>

> Best Regards,

>

> Sivakumar Patibanda

>

The waking up prayer is a great idea. I am having a lot of difficulty waking up in the morning due to not getting good sleep at night. I really need Maa's energy badly. But my body needs to be in good enough shape to receive it, which is something I am working on. Give me that spark, Maa to get the body moving!

Jai Maa!

Kumari from Kitchener--- On Thu, 1/7/10, jrholm1007 <jrholm1007 wrote:

jrholm1007 <jrholm1007[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: Sleep! Conflict with sadhana! Date: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:24 AM

Hello Everyone, and peace and joy to you all in the New Year!Thank you for this conversation, I hope I can jump in, as your thoughts and words inspired me to share a few things.I too experience a lack of sleep due to commitments and spiritual practices and sometimes it helps me tremendously to pray before going to sleep, "Divine Mother, please help this sleep to be restorative to my whole being so that I may serve you well when I wake." I also sometimes imagine myself sleeping in the arms of Divine Mother as I am falling asleep, and when I wake (still tired after not enough sleep) it helps to immediately begin thanking Mother for waking consciousness and imagine offering Her my sleepiness and praying for Her clear energy to enliven me and flow through me in joyful service to Her many forms for the day. (These are little, obvious things but have been really helpful to me many times.)And then sometimes I remind myself

of how exuberantly joyful Swamiji is, even when he has little sleep, and that always inspires me!!!! From him I learn that prayer and worship can restore just as much or sometimes more than Her sweet blessing of sleep, opening us as it does to Her inexhaustable energy.Here's a prayer I love:Oh Divine Mother,May all my speech and idle talk be mantraAll actions of my hands be mudraAll eating and drinking be the offering of oblations unto theeAll lying down prostrations before theeMay all pleasures be as dedicating my entire self unto theeMay everything I do be taken as thy worship.Jennifer, bmarley343@. .. wrote:>> > Namaste, > > ive found that my goal is to mix

"formal" and "informal" sadhana together as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life. blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is devoting to god in all action. > > swamiji often says how all of the viddhis in the puja are modular and that they can be expanded upon. so whenever someone needs you make that part of the puja you already started. > > sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something you begin the "take out the garbage" viddhi, followed by another viddhi which maybe you are sitting back down. followed by driving kids to work chanting mantra viddhi. i feel that this is the sadhana that is relevant and appropriate to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i find my whole day can become puja and i stay in the state i get when i do my sitting "by the book" puja. > > i found

that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need my "me" time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make sense. i seek peace through every action. i found that when i was able to internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja. > > if i get stuck in the mentality of duality, that this is puja, and that is worldly living. then how can i possibly worship all day. > > jai ma, jai swamiji. thanks to them for this insight. > > god blesses us with every step.> > also something ive been feeling so strongly is that we dont need to do spiritual practice, which is practice being spiritual. everything already is spiritual. let us do puja because we love god, not because we want to become spiritual. > > > > > > > > Kulasundari Devi <sundari

>> > Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:49 pm> Re: [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!> > > > > I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment, with every breath and every action? :)> > > I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space for it.> > > jai MA kamesvari> -kulasundari> > > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005@ ...> wrote:> > > > > > > That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy

due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the advice as well> > Jai Maa!> Kumari> > --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:> > > Siva Kumar <sufi116 >> [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!> > > > Monday, January 4, 2010, 3:21 PM> > > > > > > > Namaste All,> > I wish you all a Happy New Year!> > > I am often expected to often spend time

with family, and in the name of "responsibility" and ���harmony��� , I give them required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day ��" I start my evening sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.> > > > > > > > I feel cheated and remorseful when I have not enjoyed good sadhana. > > > > > > What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?> > I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problem> > Best

Regards,> > Sivakumar Patibanda>

There is a great quote i am thinking of

god if you need me in the morning wake me up.

i feel that we must be careful to not obligate ourselves that the only way to be heard, aligned with, or in tune with god is through doing something. we are spirit in essence. it is simple. all else is extra credit.

Love

EmJayCee <mjfisher2005

Thu, Jan 7, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: [www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

The waking up prayer is a great idea. I am having a lot of difficulty waking up in the morning due to not getting good sleep at night. I really need Maa's energy badly. But my body needs to be in good enough shape to receive it, which is something I am working on. Give me that spark, Maa to get the body moving!

Jai Maa!

Kumari from Kitchener

--- On Thu, 1/7/10, jrholm1007 <jrholm1007 > wrote:

jrholm1007 <jrholm1007 >

[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:24 AM

Hello Everyone, and peace and joy to you all in the New Year!

Thank you for this conversation, I hope I can jump in, as your thoughts and words inspired me to share a few things.

I too experience a lack of sleep due to commitments and spiritual practices and sometimes it helps me tremendously to pray before going to sleep, "Divine Mother, please help this sleep to be restorative to my whole being so that I may serve you well when I wake." I also sometimes imagine myself sleeping in the arms of Divine Mother as I am falling asleep, and when I wake (still tired after not enough sleep) it helps to immediately begin thanking Mother for waking consciousness and imagine offering Her my sleepiness and praying for Her clear energy to enliven me and flow through me in joyful service to Her many forms for the day.

(These are little, obvious things but have been really helpful to me many times.)

And then sometimes I remind myself of how exuberantly joyful Swamiji is, even when he has little sleep, and that always inspires me!!!! From him I learn that prayer and worship can restore just as much or sometimes more than Her sweet blessing of sleep, opening us as it does to Her inexhaustable energy.

Here's a prayer I love:

Oh Divine Mother,

May all my speech and idle talk be mantra

All actions of my hands be mudra

All eating and drinking be the offering of oblations unto thee

All lying down prostrations before thee

May all pleasures be as dedicating my entire self unto thee

May everything I do be taken as thy worship.

Jennifer

, bmarley343@. .. wrote:

>

>

> Namaste,

>

> ive found that my goal is to mix "formal" and "informal" sadhana together as one. my goal is not to have spiritual practice. but live a spiritual life. blurring that line between formal and informal makes a true sadhaka. one who is devoting to god in all action.

>

> swamiji often says how all of the viddhis in the puja are modular and that they can be expanded upon. so whenever someone needs you make that part of the puja you already started.

>

> sit down, begin. and then when someone knocks on the door asking for something you begin the "take out the garbage" viddhi, followed by another viddhi which maybe you are sitting back down. followed by driving kids to work chanting mantra viddhi. i feel that this is the sadhana that is relevant and appropriate to our time and circumstance. if we allow this flow and dont fight it then i find my whole day can become puja and i stay in the state i get when i do my sitting "by the book" puja.

>

> i found that when i got rigid with formal puja time i became selfish. i need my "me" time to feel at peace. but this is something of duality and doesnt make sense. i seek peace through every action. i found that when i was able to internalize the puja by memorization i had a much better time remaining in puja.

>

> if i get stuck in the mentality of duality, that this is puja, and that is worldly living. then how can i possibly worship all day.

>

>

>

> also something ive been feeling so strongly is that we dont need to do spiritual practice, which is practice being spiritual. everything already is spiritual. let us do puja because we love god, not because we want to become spiritual.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Kulasundari Devi <sundari >

>

> Re: [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

> I would ask, how can you simply worship Devi and Mahesvara in every moment, with every breath and every action? :)

>

>

> I have found that when I am constantly worshipping the Divine Mother, then formal practice comes naturally as I make more and more time, energy and space for it.

>

>

> jai MA kamesvari

> -kulasundari

>

>

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM, EmJayCee <mjfisher2005@ ...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

>

> That is a very good question. I suffer at this point from a lack of energy due to having been sick earlier in the fall. I am gradually working my way back, but I have other responsibilities as well and I feel bad that I am unable to worship the Goddess and Maheswara as well as I can. I would appreciate the advice as well

>

> Jai Maa!

> Kumari

>

> --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Siva Kumar <sufi116 > wrote:

>

>

> Siva Kumar <sufi116 >

> [www.ShreeMaa. org] Sleep! Conflict with sadhana!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Namaste All,

>

>

>

> I am often expected to often spend time with family, and in the name of "responsibility" and ���harmony��� , I give them required time and attention and then when everyone has retired for the day ��" I start my evening sadhana. This is often late in the night. My sadhana at this late hour is punctuated by my nodding off to sleep.My sadhana of the next morning is therefor also of poor quality because of inadequate sleep the previous night.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I feel cheated and remorseful when I have not enjoyed good sadhana.

>

>

>

>

>

> What do the Swami's do to manage sleep. What sleep management techniques did they employ? Is 8 hours of sleep a proven standard? Is there a technique that I can use that will lead the body to believe that it has enough sleep?

>

> I also request response from Shree Maa and Shree Swamiji in solving this problem

>

> Best Regards,

>

> Sivakumar Patibanda

>