IndiaDivine.org

THE INNER MEANING OF DATTA- A LITTLE INTERESTING STORY

Rate this topic

Guest guest

GURU MAHIMA| GURU MAHIMA| APAARA MAHIMA - GURU MAHIMA|| Dear divine members, Now, we will try to know the inner meaning of "DATTA" in the name of Jagadguru Dattatreya. Dattatreya is a deity that could be visualized even today. The incarnations like Rama and Krishna had an end. Ofcourse, they may reappear in some different form. Sir! but there is a speciality in the form of Dattatreya. Dattatreya continues to be the same. The story about the birth of Lord

Datattreya is very interesting. Shri Rangavadhootha Maharaj who is a famous disciple of Sri Vasudevananda saraswathy swamy Maharaj was explained this story to his devotees. Pls read it Sir/Madam................ God wanted the poeple to be happy. People need many things. So God once opened up al lthe treasures and asked everyone to take away whatever they desired. Then everyone rushed and soon the treasures were empty. So the door keepers were going to shut the doors.In the mean while, in the hot mid-day, an old brahmin who is thin through penance, came there supporting himself with a stick. He was perspiring. The door-keepers said, "treasures are gone! nothing is left.What are you doing till this moment?". The old man was not disappointed. He said quietly, 'please go to the Lord and tell

him about my arrival". The door keepers said 'what should we say? we know nothing is left out. There is nothing worthy to be given". The brahmin again pleaded " is there nothing for me in the Lord's treasure? Is it your reply or the Lord's?". The door keepers argued "What is there to be said? nothing remains here. what else is even the Lord going to reply?" Then the brahmin urged with a pitibale face, 'have mercy on me and just ask the Lord on my behalf. If he gives the reply, I won't stay in hope". Finding the brahmin speaking seriously, the door-keepers smiled but went to the Lord and told what the brahmin said. The Lord said ' is there nothing in our treasure for the brahmin? just go back and have a keen look and tell him as such". The door keeper searched everywhere but didn't find anything to be given. They

went to the brahmin and told him about it. The brahmin wanted to know whether it was their reply or of the Lord. "I don't understand what the Lord has to say. Please go to him and get his reply". The door keepers vexed but they had goto the Lord. They began to narrate how stubborn the brahmin was and how he is behaving like a senseless man. Then the Lord said, "O foolish ones, what do you say? Is there nothing in our treasure for the brahmin? May be all the treasures are empty but am I not there who produced them? The brahmin does not want temporary pleasures and comforts. He wants what is eternal and so I shall offer my own self to him. So saying, the Lord approached the brahmin and said " DATTO AYAM TE MAYATMETI".'HERE IS MY OWN SELF GIVEN TO YOU. Thus the Lord gave himself to the

brahmin and was known as DATT. INNER MEANING:What is the inner meaning? The old brahmin was Sage Atri. Atri means one who is beyond the three attributes of Satv,Rajas and Tamas. These threee attributes cause birth and death and condition a soul. One who is above the Trinity of attributes, he can be the real devotee fo the almighty. Then Lord offers his own self to such a devotee."DATT" is one who has given everything to this world and so is the greatest donor! In order to increase one's devotion, there is an easy way of saadhana. KARTHAVYAM YACHCHIGHRA MEVANUDEHI SVAASE | SVAASE| DATTA NAAMA SMARAATMAN|| Whatever is to be done, be done immediately.

O soul, remember and repeat the name of Datta with every breth. A devotee of shree datta should consider the other fellow as a divine soul and behave as such.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.