IndiaDivine.org

Gayathri Mantra-Query-Part 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Shreeram Anna,

Can u please tell me the importance of doing sandhya vandanam andgayatri japa regularly?

I have read the benefits online in many websites.it motivates me tostart doing sandhi regularly. but it doesn't last more than a few days.

-Varun

Dear Varun,

Importance and duties should not be mized up. When you do Sandhyavandana because you are a Brahmin rather than inspite of being a Brahmin!, then problems start.The duty becomes a drudgery and how many ever sites you read about Gayathri mantra, your unconscious mind beneath the surface consciousness is not convinced.

I do not reel out eloquent words, not that I cannot but that I do not want to, because people do not change merely by eloquent words.As you said supra, "it doesn't last more than a few days". Many a time my messages or postings are typo-ridden,grammatically incorrect,etc.Im well aware of it, yet I just type very fast and do not care to even do a spell-check on my message and whatever my unconscious mind(call it the uncarved block) emits from the core of my divinity, I scribe.People vibe with that scribe, not with the words.

Consequently, the websites you see are nothing but regurgitations of lines from texts and books, nothing from that 'uncarved block', which results in your uninspired state.

I might start out by saying in this e-mail..."Dear Varun, Practice of the Tri-pada Gayathri or Chathushpada Gayathri confers this benefit according to this...Blah Blah Blah..."

You might be inspired for a few days, do a couple of rounds of the mantra, then again the ennui starts.I do not do any justice to you.

The ennui starts because, the mantra is the same, almost everyone into Hinduism might be knowing it! It is no longer a big secret.The mind gets bored and starts searching for something new about the mantra to keep it inspired.This then becomes again a log into the firewood and when the log completely burns to cinders, it seeks yet another log.

And then there is also the problem of better and more powerful mantras.Why not do the Mahashodasi?, why not Bagalamukhi?,etcThe more mantras you know the more of a headache it is for you as your mind starts comparing and is never at peace and also there is the question of Guruparampara,Deeksha,niyamas and yamas to be followed.

This is not the way to Gayathri Sadhana, infact for any sadhana.

Ennui is part of any sadhana.Your mind or rather the pain-body inside you or the sin-body inside you might resist a restraint to its evil and lethargy in the form of mantraical incantations.

Your first step is to understand yourself, then half the battle is won. No use reading inspiring stuff or 'enlightening' websites unless one starts internally.

Once, you are prepared to embrace ennui and the resultant boredom, then you are ready to hear the merits of doing the sadhana to further fortify and give a mental direction to your sadhana.

How do you embrace ennui? By staying in the present moment.In other words in the moment of the sadhana.When you enter meditation, you have to die internally to everything, then your spiritual self is born.It is easier said than done.

You have to concentrate on just the mantra and maybe the deity initially as you mentally repeat the mantra.Your left hemisphere stills, your recurring thoughts subside, your right hemisphere starts to visualize,show lights,visions,etc. Maintain the peace and stability and proceed.

There is no goal here, this is a 'goal-less goal path'.The moment you start fixing goals as in: I have to see Gayathri Matha, I have to get this siddhi, I have to get varchas,etc, the whole point is lost.The point is: There is no point!

The very mirth of doing the sadhana in the present moment should inspire you.I repeat the very mirth of doing the sadhana as you and the sadhana are not different.(Dhyanam,Dheyyi,Dhyatha union), you enter into what the Tamil Siddhars call "Kudigaaran bodhai"(drunkard's tipped state) of doing the sadhana with the mantra, then something can be said to be achieved.

First understand this part of the series of three parts which I will give(which I hope will benefit all members) to do this Sadhana.Then next part I will concentrate on the merits of Sandhya Vandana and Gayathri,then final part how to do the sadhana of Gayathri.

But first things first!

Yours yogically,

Shreeram Balijepalli

Hreem Rajarajeshwari Paradevatha!

Purity, Powers, Parabrahmam...

Click to join Rajarajeshwari_Kalpataru