IndiaDivine.org

Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My Dear Kishore,

Is your quest genuine!!!! or do you pursue a path of dry intellectual pursuit!!!! Or further still..... are you seeking the most refined pleasure of seeing people debate the questions.... you already have answers for....

Kindly illumine us on the same

Warm Regards,

Abhishek--- On Fri, 6/3/09, Kishore <mydearindian wrote:

Kishore <mydearindian Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objects Date: Friday, 6 March, 2009, 2:34 AM

Hi Friends,Please clear this query.Is it must to have a Guru to get Upadesham or to recite a particular mantra? Or can we do it our self? If we have to choose Guru then are there any qualities we must see and then choose or is it happens by Divine order?I heard that if anyone wants to do Upasana of any deity then that person has to take Upadesham from Guru. However, how about then the mantras that we chant in our home daily without Guru's Upadesham? Do they work or not?Please advice.Thanks,M.Kishore

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Guest guest

Dear All,

The Greatest Mantra of Gayatri sristikartha was Sage Visvamitra. Please note nobody upadesh to Sage Viswamitra, he himself learn from Divine Voice from Heaven

Yours

Meenaakshi Sundharam --- On Fri, 6/3/09, Richard Shaw Brown <rsbj66 wrote:

Richard Shaw Brown <rsbj66 Re: Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objects Date: Friday, 6 March, 2009, 10:54 AM

Some shastra it is said, "Sampradaya vina ye mantraste viphala-matah" - the mantra not received from (a guru as passed down by) Sampradaya is considered to have no result. That is called Diksha or mantra receiving initiation. Upadesh means "advice". But it seems that mantras from any source have their power, with or without advice.Y/sRichardsacred-objects, "Kishore" <mydearindian@ ...> wrote:>> Hi Friends,> > Please clear this query.> > Is it must to have a Guru to get Upadesham or to recite a particular mantra? Or can we do it our self? If we have to choose Guru then are there any qualities we must see and then choose or is it happens by Divine order?> > I heard that if anyone wants to do Upasana of any deity then that person has to take Upadesham from Guru.

> > However, how about then the mantras that we chant in our home daily without Guru's Upadesham? Do they work or not?> > Please advice.> > Thanks,> M.Kishore>

Guest guest

LORD DATTATREYA :Who is regarded as an Incarnation of the Trinity.Dattatreya was absolutely free from intolerance or prejudice of any

kind. He learnt wisdom from whatever source it came. All seekers after

wisdom should follow the example of Dattatreya.Once,

while he was roaming happily in a forest, he met King Yadu, who, on

seeing Dattatreya so happy, asked him the secret of his happiness and

the name of his Guru.Dattatreya said, “The Self alone is my

Guru. Yet, I have learnt wisdom from twenty-four other individuals and

objects. So they, too, are also my Gurus.â€Dattatreya then mentioned the names of his twenty-four Gurus and spoke of the wisdom that he had learnt from each as follows:“The

names of my twenty-four Gurus are earth, water, fire, sky, moon, sun,

pigeon, python, ocean, moth, honey-gatherers (black bee), bees,

elephant, deer, fish, the dancing-girl Pingala, raven, child, maiden,

serpent, arrow-maker, spider and beetle.1. I learnt patience and doing good to others from the earth.2. From water, I learnt the quality of purity.3. I learnt from air to be without attachment though I move with many people in this world.4. From fire I learnt to glow with the splendour of Self-knowledge and austerity.5. I learnt from the sky that the Self is all-pervading and yet it has no contact with any object.6.

I learnt from the moon that the Self is always perfect and changeless

and it is only the limiting adjuncts that cast shadows over it.7.

Just as a sun reflected in various pots of water appears as so many

different reflections, so also Brahman appears different because of the

bodies caused by the reflection through the mind. This is the lesson I

have learnt from the sun.8. I once saw a pair of pigeons with

their young birds. A fowler spread a net and caught the young birds.

The mother pigeon was very much attached to her children. She fell into

the net and was caught. From this I have learnt that attachment is the

root cause of earthly bondage.9. The python does not move about

for its food. It remains contented with whatever it gets, lying in one

place. From this I learnt to be unmindful of food and to be contented

with whatever I get to eat.10. Just as the ocean remains

unmoved, even though hundreds of rivers flow into it, so also the wise

man should remain unmoved among all the various sorts of temptations,

difficulties and troubles.11. To control the sense of sight and to fix the mind on the Self, is the lesson I learnt from the moth.12.

I take a little food from one house and a little from another house and

thus appease my hunger. I am not a burden on the householder. This I

learnt from the black bee which gathers honey from various flowers.13.

Bees collect honey with great trouble, but a hunter comes along and

takes the honey away easily. From this I learnt that it is useless to

hoard things.14. The male elephant, blinded by lust, falls into

a pit covered with grass, even at the sight of a female elephant.

Therefore, one should destroy lust.15. The deer is enticed and trapped by the hunter through its love of music. Therefore, one should never listen to lewd songs.16.

Just as a fish that is covetous of food falls an easy victim to the

bait, so also the man who is greedy for food loses his independence and

easily gets ruined.17. There was a dancing girl named Pingala.

Being tired of looking for customers, one night she became hopeless.

She had to be contented with what traffic she had that day and retired

to a sound sleep. I learnt from this fallen woman the lesson that the

abandonment of hope leads to contentment.18. A raven picked up a

piece of flesh. It was pursued and beaten by other birds. It dropped

the piece of flesh and attained peace and rest. From this I learnt that

a man in the world undergoes all sorts of troubles and miseries when he

runs after sensual pleasures and that he becomes as happy as the bird

when he abandons them.19. The child who sucks milk is free from

all cares, worries and anxieties, and is always cheerful. I learnt the

virtue of cheerfulness from the child.20. The maiden was husking

paddy. Her bangles made much noise and there were visitors from her

husband’s house. To silence the bangles, she removed them, one by one.

Even when there were just two, they produced some noise. When she had

only one, it did not make any noise, and she was happy. I learnt from

the maiden that living among many would create discord, disturbance,

dispute and quarrel. Even among two there might be unnecessary words or

strife. The ascetic or the Sannyasin should remain alone in solitude.21.

A serpent does not build its own hole. It dwells in the holes dug out

by others. Even so, an ascetic should not build a home for himself. He

should live in a temple or a cave built by others.22. I learnt from the arrow-maker the quality of intense concentration of mind.23.

The spider pours out of its mouth long threads and weaves them into

cobwebs. Then it gets itself entangled in the net of its own making.

Even so, man makes a net of his own ideas and gets entangled in it. The

wise man should, therefore, abandon all worldly thoughts and think of

Brahman only.24. The beetle catches hold of a worm, puts it in

its nest and gives it a sting. The poor worm, always fearing the return

of the beetle and sting, and thinking constantly of the beetle, becomes

a beetle itself. I learnt from the beetle and the worm to turn myself

into the Self by contemplating constantly on It; thus I gave up all

attachment to the body and attained liberation.â€In the West people have a tendency to think they don’t need a guru. But there are many types of gurus in everyone’s lives: parents, teachers, grandparents, mentors. Just as it helps to learn various skills from different kinds of teachers, it also helps to learn spirituality from the appropriate teacher. Indeed this is especially important for spirituality, because of its intrinsically subtle and elusive nature. Hence the need for the highest and most capable guru.--- On Fri, 6/3/09, Kishore <mydearindian wrote:Kishore <mydearindian Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objects Date: Friday, 6 March, 2009, 2:34 AMHi Friends,Please clear this query.Is it must to have a Guru to get Upadesham or to recite a particular mantra? Or can we do it our self? If we have to choose Guru then are there any qualities we must see and then choose or is it happens by Divine order?I heard that if anyone wants to do Upasana of any deity then that person has to take Upadesham from Guru. However, how about then the mantras that we chant in our home daily without Guru's Upadesham? Do

they work or not?Please advice.Thanks,M.Kishore---

Guest guest

Dear Abhishek,

I apologize if I disturbed you. I am not trying to create any debates. And don’t think I am intended to put people in confusion. You all are elders. I am seeking knowledge about God.

But still I apologize you from my bottom of my heart because this group formed to discuss about “â€Sacred-Objectsâ€â€ but not to clear my queries. Yes i might have done a mistake here in this group.

I thank everyone who gave answers..

Have a nice & productive day,

With Best wishes, M.kishore.

If you don't like to read this E-mail then please mention in subject line "REMOVE".--- On Fri, 6/3/09, Abhishek Dutta <benarsibabu wrote:

Abhishek Dutta <benarsibabuRe: Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objects Date: Friday, 6 March, 2009, 11:33 AM

My Dear Kishore,

Is your quest genuine!!!! or do you pursue a path of dry intellectual pursuit!!!! Or further still..... are you seeking the most refined pleasure of seeing people debate the questions... . you already have answers for....

Kindly illumine us on the same

Warm Regards,

Abhishek--- On Fri, 6/3/09, Kishore <mydearindian@ > wrote:

Kishore <mydearindian@ > Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objectsFriday, 6 March, 2009, 2:34 AM

Hi Friends,Please clear this query.Is it must to have a Guru to get Upadesham or to recite a particular mantra? Or can we do it our self? If we have to choose Guru then are there any qualities we must see and then choose or is it happens by Divine order?I heard that if anyone wants to do Upasana of any deity then that person has to take Upadesham from Guru. However, how about then the mantras that we chant in our home daily without Guru's Upadesham? Do they work or not?Please advice.Thanks,M.Kishore

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Dear Brothers/Sisters,

I thank you all for giving me your valuable answers. This is Godly. It is one of the God’s gifts to me in the quest for God.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi says that his Guru is "Self".

Grace and Guru:

I have not said that a Guru is not necessary. But a Guru need not always be in human form. First a person thinks that he is an inferior and that there is a superior, all-knowing, all powerful God who controls his own and the world's destiny and worships him or does Bhakti. When he reaches a certain stage and becomes fit for enlightenment, the same God whom he was worshipping comes as Guru and leads him on. That Guru comes only to tell him that ‘God is within yourself. Dive within and realize.’ God, Guru and the Self are the same

- Sri Ramana Maharshi

Have a nice & productive day,

With Best wishes, M.kishore.

If you don't like to read this E-mail then please mention in subject line "REMOVE".--- On Fri, 6/3/09, himanshu gupte <hrgupte wrote:

himanshu gupte <hrgupteRe: Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objects Date: Friday, 6 March, 2009, 11:02 PM

LORD DATTATREYA :Who is regarded as an Incarnation of the Trinity.

Dattatreya was absolutely free from intolerance or prejudice of any kind. He learnt wisdom from whatever source it came. All seekers after wisdom should follow the example of Dattatreya.

Once, while he was roaming happily in a forest, he met King Yadu, who, on seeing Dattatreya so happy, asked him the secret of his happiness and the name of his Guru.

Dattatreya said, “The Self alone is my Guru. Yet, I have learnt wisdom from twenty-four other individuals and objects. So they, too, are also my Gurus.â€

Dattatreya then mentioned the names of his twenty-four Gurus and spoke of the wisdom that he had learnt from each as follows:

“The names of my twenty-four Gurus are earth, water, fire, sky, moon, sun, pigeon, python, ocean, moth, honey-gatherers (black bee), bees, elephant, deer, fish, the dancing-girl Pingala, raven, child, maiden, serpent, arrow-maker, spider and beetle.

1. I learnt patience and doing good to others from the earth.

2. From water, I learnt the quality of purity.

3. I learnt from air to be without attachment though I move with many people in this world.

4. From fire I learnt to glow with the splendour of Self-knowledge and austerity.

5. I learnt from the sky that the Self is all-pervading and yet it has no contact with any object.

6. I learnt from the moon that the Self is always perfect and changeless and it is only the limiting adjuncts that cast shadows over it.

7. Just as a sun reflected in various pots of water appears as so many different reflections, so also Brahman appears different because of the bodies caused by the reflection through the mind. This is the lesson I have learnt from the sun.

8. I once saw a pair of pigeons with their young birds. A fowler spread a net and caught the young birds. The mother pigeon was very much attached to her children. She fell into the net and was caught. From this I have learnt that attachment is the root cause of earthly bondage.

9. The python does not move about for its food. It remains contented with whatever it gets, lying in one place. From this I learnt to be unmindful of food and to be contented with whatever I get to eat.

10. Just as the ocean remains unmoved, even though hundreds of rivers flow into it, so also the wise man should remain unmoved among all the various sorts of temptations, difficulties and troubles.

11. To control the sense of sight and to fix the mind on the Self, is the lesson I learnt from the moth.

12. I take a little food from one house and a little from another house and thus appease my hunger. I am not a burden on the householder. This I learnt from the black bee which gathers honey from various flowers.

13. Bees collect honey with great trouble, but a hunter comes along and takes the honey away easily. From this I learnt that it is useless to hoard things.

14. The male elephant, blinded by lust, falls into a pit covered with grass, even at the sight of a female elephant. Therefore, one should destroy lust.

15. The deer is enticed and trapped by the hunter through its love of music. Therefore, one should never listen to lewd songs.

16. Just as a fish that is covetous of food falls an easy victim to the bait, so also the man who is greedy for food loses his independence and easily gets ruined.

17. There was a dancing girl named Pingala. Being tired of looking for customers, one night she became hopeless. She had to be contented with what traffic she had that day and retired to a sound sleep. I learnt from this fallen woman the lesson that the abandonment of hope leads to contentment.

18. A raven picked up a piece of flesh. It was pursued and beaten by other birds. It dropped the piece of flesh and attained peace and rest. From this I learnt that a man in the world undergoes all sorts of troubles and miseries when he runs after sensual pleasures and that he becomes as happy as the bird when he abandons them.

19. The child who sucks milk is free from all cares, worries and anxieties, and is always cheerful. I learnt the virtue of cheerfulness from the child.

20. The maiden was husking paddy. Her bangles made much noise and there were visitors from her husband’s house. To silence the bangles, she removed them, one by one. Even when there were just two, they produced some noise. When she had only one, it did not make any noise, and she was happy. I learnt from the maiden that living among many would create discord, disturbance, dispute and quarrel. Even among two there might be unnecessary words or strife. The ascetic or the Sannyasin should remain alone in solitude.

21. A serpent does not build its own hole. It dwells in the holes dug out by others. Even so, an ascetic should not build a home for himself. He should live in a temple or a cave built by others.

22. I learnt from the arrow-maker the quality of intense concentration of mind.

23. The spider pours out of its mouth long threads and weaves them into cobwebs. Then it gets itself entangled in the net of its own making. Even so, man makes a net of his own ideas and gets entangled in it. The wise man should, therefore, abandon all worldly thoughts and think of Brahman only..

24. The beetle catches hold of a worm, puts it in its nest and gives it a sting. The poor worm, always fearing the return of the beetle and sting, and thinking constantly of the beetle, becomes a beetle itself. I learnt from the beetle and the worm to turn myself into the Self by contemplating constantly on It; thus I gave up all attachment to the body and attained liberation.â€

In the West people have a tendency to think they don’t need a guru. But there are many types of gurus in everyone’s lives: parents, teachers, grandparents, mentors. Just as it helps to learn various skills from different kinds of teachers, it also helps to learn spirituality from the appropriate teacher. Indeed this is especially important for spirituality, because of its intrinsically subtle and elusive nature.. Hence the need for the highest and most capable guru.--- On Fri, 6/3/09, Kishore <mydearindian@ > wrote:

Kishore <mydearindian@ > Without Guru’s Upadesham does any Deity’s mantra works or not?sacred-objectsFriday, 6 March, 2009, 2:34 AM

Hi Friends,Please clear this query.Is it must to have a Guru to get Upadesham or to recite a particular mantra? Or can we do it our self? If we have to choose Guru then are there any qualities we must see and then choose or is it happens by Divine order?I heard that if anyone wants to do Upasana of any deity then that person has to take Upadesham from Guru. However, how about then the mantras that we chant in our home daily without Guru's Upadesham? Do they work or not?Please advice.Thanks,M.Kishore------------ --------- --------- ------