IndiaDivine.org

Valampuri, real and unreal.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Shri. Krishna ji,

As per Hindu mythology, the term 'Shank' or 'Shankh' is necessarily used only for the species Turbinella pyrum, whether dextral or sinistral. In English, it is mentioned as 'Chank'. Many of the people mention variety of seashells as; 'Ganesh Shank', 'Gomukh Shank', 'Moti Shank' etc,. as types of shanks, which is not correct. One can simply mention these as diiferent types of shells and not shanks. Unfortunately, there is no seperate word for seashells other than 'Shank' in Indian languages. The question therefore does not arise to call lightening Whelk as Valampuri Shank, though it is sinistral. Similar is the case of Heera Shank (?). It is also not a shank. It is a fossil species of a sinistral shell. One can not therefore call it as Valampuri Heera Shank though it is sinistral.

It is important to know that only Shank species i.e. Turbinella pyrum (dextral and sinistral)is treated as sacred object in Hindu and Buddhist religion. The so called Ganesh shell, Gomukh shell, Moti shell, Heera shell are not considered as sacred shells in our puranas. These are all recently introduced shells.

In brief, as Shri. Richard ji has rightly mentioned, the word 'Shank' or 'Chank' is necessarily the species Turbinella pyrum L. One can see the description of 'Shank' or 'Chank' under 'Wikipedia'.

Thanking you and with regards,

Chandrashekhar

--- On Tue, 9/6/09, paraman nair <paraman777 wrote:

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

Guest guest

Dear Chandrashekhar Prabhu,Thanks for this concise scientific explanation. I am compiling info from the group on this topic to send to the various senior members of the ISKCON math deity worship ministry. Can I use your text below to include in this info, this would be of enormous help! I am also looking for all the available puranic references which support the information. Can anyone help with this, please?Thanking you,YS, Ole"chphadke" <chphadkesacred-objects Sent: Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 11:50:44 Valampuri, real and unreal.

Dear Shri. Krishna ji,

As per Hindu mythology, the term 'Shank' or 'Shankh' is necessarily used only for the species Turbinella pyrum, whether dextral or sinistral. In English, it is mentioned as 'Chank'. Many of the people mention variety of seashells as; 'Ganesh Shank', 'Gomukh Shank', 'Moti Shank' etc,. as types of shanks, which is not correct. One can simply mention these as diiferent types of shells and not shanks. Unfortunately, there is no seperate word for seashells other than 'Shank' in Indian languages. The question therefore does not arise to call lightening Whelk as Valampuri Shank, though it is sinistral. Similar is the case of Heera Shank (?). It is also not a shank. It is a fossil species of a sinistral shell. One can not therefore call it as Valampuri Heera Shank though it is sinistral.

It is important to know that only Shank species i.e. Turbinella pyrum (dextral and sinistral)is treated as sacred object in Hindu and Buddhist religion. The so called Ganesh shell, Gomukh shell, Moti shell, Heera shell are not considered as sacred shells in our puranas. These are all recently introduced shells.

In brief, as Shri. Richard ji has rightly mentioned, the word 'Shank' or 'Chank' is necessarily the species Turbinella pyrum L. One can see the description of 'Shank' or 'Chank' under 'Wikipedia'.

Chandrashekhar

--- On Tue, 9/6/09, paraman nair <paraman777 > wrote:

Guest guest

----Sukriya!!!

> Dear Chandrashekhar Prabhu,

>

> Thanks for this concise scientific explanation. I am compiling info from the

group on this topic to send to the various senior members of the ISKCON math

deity worship ministry. Can I use your text below to include in this info, this

would be of enormous help! I am also looking for all the available puranic

references which support the information. Can anyone help with this, please?

>

> Thanking you,

>

> YS, Ole

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> " chphadke " <chphadke

> sacred-objects

> Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 11:50:44

> Valampuri, real and unreal.

>

>

>

>

>

> Dear Shri. Krishna ji,

>

> As per Hindu mythology, the term 'Shank' or 'Shankh' is necessarily used only

for the species Turbinella pyrum, whether dextral or sinistral. In English, it

is mentioned as 'Chank'. Many of the people mention variety of seashells as;

'Ganesh Shank', 'Gomukh Shank', 'Moti Shank' etc,. as types of shanks, which is

not correct. One can simply mention these as diiferent types of shells and not

shanks. Unfortunately, there is no seperate word for seashells other than

'Shank' in Indian languages. The question therefore does not arise to call

lightening Whelk as Valampuri Shank, though it is sinistral. Similar is the

case of Heera Shank (?). It is also not a shank. It is a fossil species of a

sinistral shell. One can not therefore call it as Valampuri Heera Shank though

it is sinistral.

>

> It is important to know that only Shank species i.e. Turbinella pyrum (dextral

and sinistral)is treated as sacred object in Hindu and Buddhist religion. The

so called Ganesh shell, Gomukh shell, Moti shell, Heera shell are not considered

as sacred shells in our puranas. These are all recently introduced shells.

>

> In brief, as Shri. Richard ji has rightly mentioned, the word 'Shank' or

'Chank' is necessarily the species Turbinella pyrum L. One can see the

description of 'Shank' or 'Chank' under 'Wikipedia'.

>

> Thanking you and with regards,

>

> Chandrashekhar

>

>

>

> --- On Tue, 9/6/09, paraman nair <paraman777 > wrote:

>

>

> >

>

> ________________________________

> Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

>

Guest guest

dear chandrasekharjithanks for the good informationsas you rightly said shank is used for sea shells and really all shells those which turned right direction,is called valampiri valam means dakshina direcion and edam means left or vaama directionso we can though call it valampiri,it may not come as you said ,under the sacred itemsa doubt is that,,,, in indian ocean those shanks available in old days, were the thick shell variety and it was indians and buddhists,who adored all thesethe florida whelks are and might have been only available and found in ocean near USAwhich were left un noticedif any specific quotings from puranas are available regarding shell thickness,we can rely more on thati think only left turned and right turned shanks are referred to and thos shells which are right turned was adored

as sacredas you are aware in Hindu poojas, there is a procedure in which first the shank is energised with some mantras and then the sacred Ganga Devi is summonned to the water in it,which is then turned to thirtha the ssacred waterall these require handling the shanks for some time,hence they took only the thick variety of shells for stability in handling,,,,this has also no authority,i am asking a doubtbut due to the rarity of florida whelks or sinistrals compared to the dextrals available commonly we have to think this way also,as almost all sacred things are rare in naturehowever your informations are validthankskrisna--- On Wed, 10/6/09, chphadke <chphadke wrote:chphadke <chphadke

Valampuri, real and unreal.sacred-objects Date: Wednesday, 10 June, 2009, 3:20 PM

Dear Shri. Krishna ji,

Chandrashekhar

New Email addresses available on

Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.

Hurry before someone else does!

Guest guest

Dear Ole,

Thank you very much for your mail. The information provided by me in my posting is a general information available. If required, you can use it to write to 'Iskon' authorities. The information is to clear any doubts and to educate group members.

Chandrashekhar--- On Wed, 10/6/09, Ole Alstrup <alstrup wrote:

Ole Alstrup <alstrupRe: Valampuri, real and unreal.sacred-objects Date: Wednesday, 10 June, 2009, 6:05 PM

Dear Chandrashekhar Prabhu,

Thanks for this concise scientific explanation. I am compiling info from the group on this topic to send to the various senior members of the ISKCON math deity worship ministry. Can I use your text below to include in this info, this would be of enormous help! I am also looking for all the available puranic references which support the information. Can anyone help with this, please?

Thanking you,

YS, Ole

"chphadke (AT) (DOT) co.in" <chphadke (AT) (DOT) co.in>sacred-objectsWednesday, 10 June, 2009 11:50:44 Valampuri, real and unreal.

Dear Shri. Krishna ji,

Chandrashekhar

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with India Travel Click here!