IndiaDivine.org

Significance of black colour of ShivaLinga

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear group members,Dhanyosmi, This is my first dialog with you all, In this six months of my membership to this group.I have a different view on this color black, which has its roots in vedantha, and more scientific, Its a known fact that Seven Color's together make White, When one removes these colors it turns black. Likewise White Represents Sarvaguna Sampanna, (Sa-Guna) With Attributes. And black represents Guna-rahita (Nirguna) (Attribute less).

Since Shiva / Vishnu are The Epitome of both (Nirguna and Saguna Swaroopam) they are worshiped in the form of Linga / Salagrama, which are Prominently black in color and round representing Purna-tatvam (Full) in a sense Nitya, Shuddha, Buddha, Muktha, Nirmal without a beginning and end.

In Sanskrit it is krishna means black, in niruktha it means " remover of troubles, and " the one Who can Confer the ultimate Bliss " . Good Day to one and all,Rajan.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

HI

Dr Jaya

Well thanks for the email. I am delighted to read shiva verses.

Well but there are many questions for his color and form.Well does

he resides in himalaya and wears snake and sits in ice.

well i think we made a picture of that as

Snake means : Control over passion

Ice means : Cool under torid time

and many more . Sometimes i feel that he is inside everyone. Dont

know that kailash exist inside all of us.

Please guide me on this

Shrikant

, " dr. jaya "

<pyari_h wrote:

>

> Om Namah Shivayah!

>

> The messenger Swan (Hamsa) said to Lord Krishna:

>

>

> " My friend (Radhika) has now surrendered herself fully

> to Shiva Whose body is the white color

> of the foam on the ocean of milk

> and Who is crowned by the moon.

>

> Since He is the subduer of Cupid,

> it is beyond the power of Eros

> to do her any harm.

>

> Only You, Hari, for some reason,

> continue to torment her --

> is it for Your own amusement that You do this? "

>

> - 'Hamsa Duta' by Sri Roopa Goswami. verse 90,

> (English version) Mystic Poetry, Jan Brzezinski

>

> Jaya Sri Radhe!

>

>

> , " dr. jaya "

> <pyari_h@> wrote:

> >

> > Namaste. I felt like sharing more with devotees of Lord Shiva

and

> > Krishna since we have found similar attributes in Both.

> >

> > , " srinivassan

> > soundarrajan " <rajansssu@> wrote:

> > >

> > > I have a different view on this color *black*, which has its

> roots

> > in

> > > vedantha,

> > > In Sanskrit it is *krishna *means black, in niruktha it

> > means " *remover

> > > of troubles*, and " *the one Who can Confer the ultimate

Bliss* " .

> >

>

Guest guest

A true seeker eventually reaches the abode of Ishwar faster than those live life like animals do, meaning just by eating, mating, sleeping and running after the temporary security of life (which is anithya)... You may download all the articles from www.ahwan.com (or www.ahwan.org) which progressively by asking logical question after question takes you to vedic principles, which answer all the queries one can have about the mysteries of life, creation and those created, universe, etc. vmshrik_india <no_reply > wrote: Hi,Dr Jaya Well thanks for sharing good information. Well now i would like to know the existance of Shiva in Physical form.Is he seen like shown in Pictures .Does himalays or Kailash is his abode . Does he carry ganga on his head. Tell me from Vedic Point of view . Few more questions are.1) If Muslims or Christians or any other Non hindu prays to the almighty then how does he after reaching sainthood or getting PEER status does not realise the existance of Lord SHIVA/VISHNU /BRAHMA or SHAKTI. 2) Are they incapable of finding them because they are non hindus and they have not studied vedas.3)As we see that there are 32lokas and we visit them after death according to our karmas then where does Non Hindus go. Is there separate heaven or hell for them .4) Jesus also in his GOSPEL of JUDAS said to his

disciple that he has seen different world and he is not the absolute. But he also did not say anything of SAWRGLOKA or INDRA LOKA or BRAHMA LOKA 5) Or is it just existance of thought that lives in ecstasic trance when we leave this world and like sleep when we awake we find this physical world.6) This means according to Buddism there is no atma they call it desire and insipte of our past karmas and during death if we think of DOG being happy and good we get to the dog yoni and after dogs death then we gain count our past karmas and return to our destination.(I dont know i might me confised here)There are many more queries and please dont tell me to mediate to find the answers as lots and lots are doing meditation.Kindly mail me backOM NAMAH SHIVAYA ,SHUBHAM SHUBHAM KURU KURU SHIVAYA NAMA OM !Shrikant , "dr. jaya" <pyari_h wrote:>> ....> ... Note, in this regard, a prayer in the Rig Veda (Book 1: hymn > 94.3), "O Agni, may we have power to kindle thee," implying the need > for a healthy person to ignite a ritual fire. To overcome these > difficulties in igniting the fire and make their life easy while > worshipping, people started making use of an image of flame > (called 'ling' or 'linga') in place of the actual live fire. This > was carried out by choosing a linga drawn or sculptured roughly in > the shape of a live flame symbolizing the fire in a yajna. > > > Agni (the terrestrial manifestation of Brahman) in the male aspect > is known as Shiva (the auspicious, signifying perhaps the beneficial > side of Agni) and as female Shakti.

Shiva is sometimes also > identified with Agni-jwala (flame). The long and stubby lings (solid > symbols) representing the fire of Agni usually depict Shiva and > Shakti, respectively. Shiva and Shakti also generally appear > together, perhaps due to their common association with Agni. Agni, > in addition to being the giver or enhancer of life, is probably also > the biggest destroyer. Thus Shiva and Shakti are considered the life-> givers as well as the life-destroyers. Furthermore, Shankra is known > as the fiercest among Rudras (destroyers). Thus Shiva (through his > association with Agni as the great destroyer) is also sometimes > considered (at least in his destructiveness) as Shankra (the > greatest Rudra). Note that Agni, in addition to being the basis for > Shiva and Shakti, probably is also the cause of a number of other > dark colored gods, where

their darkness symbolizes the black ash in > the yajna. > > > Thus the solid ling or linga (symbol, image) representing > sacrificial fire during the worship of Agni was created originally > as a duplicate of yajna flame. The ling or Shiv-ling made the > worship of Agni (Shiv or Shiva) possible anywhere anytime by using > it in place of live fire and pouring oblations over it. The > tradition of smearing the Shiv-ling with ash indicates that it has > close ties to fire (Agni) worship. When the Shiv-ling is placed > under a pitcher (containing libation) from which the liquid slowly > and continuously drips over it, there is a semblance of celebration > of an uninterrupted yajna even when there is no worshipper present. > Solid ling (or Shiv-ling) in that case represents the live fire (in > yajna) and the pitcher (with dripping libation) symbolizes the

> worshipper pouring oblations into the fire. It is a simulation of > the Vedic yajna even without lighting a fire; and it involves > basically the worship of a ling (Shiv-ling) representing the deity > Agni (as related to a yajna). This substitution of the solid image > (ling) for a real flame long ago transformed various rituals and > worships making them quite simple and easy. Moreover, it is clear > that fire -- in actual form (as a flame) or symbolically (as a ling > or image of flame) -- has been an integral part of Vedic (Hindu) > yajnas (worships) for a long time whether or not the service is > dedicated to Agni. > > > Note that Agni (the nourisher and the destroyer) is Isvara (Brahman > manifested) and it is represented by Shiva in the form of a Linga or > Shiv-ling. The Sanskrit word Linga can be split as Lin + ga, where > Lin (or its

equivalent nasal lim) corresponds to the second (object) > case singular form of Li (meaning breakage, loss or destruction) and > ga means 'to go'. Thus Linga implies the remover of loss and > signifies Shiva (the auspicious or propitious) as the benevolent > aspect of Agni. This leads Shiva (or Shiv-linga) to be that aspect > of Brahman which restores the broken (or dridra) to their original > and complete form. Perhaps this quality of Shiva indicates the > ability of Agni (fire) to fuse together and restore the cracked or > broken objects. Note, Shiva (as the restorer) and Visnu (as the > preserver) complement each other and with these analogous attributes > even appear interchangeable. ....> > from:> > Shiv-ling and Agni worship (yajna)> http://www.geocities.com/lamberdar/agni.html> > > > , shrik_india > <no_reply@> wrote:> >> > > > > > HI > > > > Dr Jaya > > > > Well thanks for the email. I am delighted to read shiva verses.>