IndiaDivine.org

Types of Devotees

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Om Namah Sivaya

" As there are shades of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas in worldliness, so Bakti has its corresponding aspects. There is one type of Bakti that partakes of the humility of Sattva, another that characterised by the ostentation of Rajas, and a third that is marked by the brute force of Tamas.

The Sattvic devotee performs his devotions in secret. The care he bestows on the body is just his providing it with plain food - perhaps a little rice and vegetables. Of luxury he has none, either in food or in dress. There is no show of fittings and furniture in his house , and he never seeks to raise in the world through flattery.

The Rajastic devotee has perhaps distinctive sectarian marks on his body and a string of beads round his neck, with perhaps a few golden ones interspersed. He is particular about outward observances such as wearing silk at the time of worship and celebrating the worship of the Deity with pomp and splendour.

The Tamasic devotee has a fiery faith. He applies force to God like a robber seizing things by force. "What!" he says, " I have uttered His 'name' and yet I am to remain sinful! I am His son! I am duly entitled to the inheritance of His wealth!" Such is the vehemence in his ardour."

---Sri Ramakrishna

Sivaya Namah

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.