IndiaDivine.org

A Troubling Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello, everyone (and please forgive me if this comes through twice)

Very recently, I have been going over a troubling question and would like to ask

what the members of the list think. Is Shiva - and, perhaps more importantly -

Hinduism (that is, all the religions and sects that fall under this catch-all

phrase) a God and religion that is available to all peoples of the Earth? Does a

white woman from Australia - whose ancestors came from Europe and probably had

no contact with India or its many great religions - have any right to say that

she began her path towards enlightenment because Shiva was a constant, almost

unbearable, presence in her life for six months until she accepted him and began

to worship him?

My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of many paths

- all paths are equally important - and of the many spiritual aspirants walking

them - that no one aspirant is more important than the next. Is my understanding

wrong?

(The white woman used as an example is, obviously, me. I literally had no rest

during those months - my thoughts revolved around Shiva and only Shiva to the

point that it distracted me from my daily activities. It was not until I began

to worship him in one of his many forms that this stopped.)

Sincerely

Casey

Guest guest

AumNamaste CaseyI empathize with you and would like to explain the following to youFirstly "Is Shiva - and, perhaps more importantly - Hinduism (that is, all the

religions and sects that fall under this catch-all phrase) a God and

religion that is available to all peoples of the Earth?Answer is yes, God does not discriminate about who can and cannot worship him, all are entitled - one being born of, sustained and maintained by God's energy !Hindus do not seek to actively convert anyone but respect all, if one wishes to follow what we teach then certainly you may do so, so long as one follows what is taught.However, there are laws and developed rules as to what is permissible or not for a variety of reasons.Does a white woman from Australia - whose ancestors came from Europe

and probably had no contact with India or its many great religions -

have any right to say that she began her path towards enlightenment

because Shiva was a constant, almost unbearable, presence in her life

for six months until she accepted him and began to worship him?

If this is how you feel then certainly you may express this ! You are not the first woman who has encountered this, I have seen a few others too.I wish to explain something for your comfort. Before ALL souls come to earth they are made to promise what they will do upon earth, if you were a devotee of Bhagavan Siva in previous lives, then this life would be an opportunity to continue your worship of him.When HE decided it was time then he informed you in a way that you would not forget. Please understand (if you follow Christianity - which originally taught about reincarnation but presently does not) that this is only a gentle reminder ! ( I am very sure you would not like an unpleasant one)My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of

many paths - all paths are equally important - and of the many

spiritual aspirants walking them - that no one aspirant is more

important than the next. Is my understanding wrong?Your understanding is "contextually wrong", what is presently called Hinduism is an amalgam of different religious/spiritual traditions. Hindus (from different traditions) co-exist and are respectful of one another ( this has not always been so either, due to hatred developed by over zealous people who wished to perpetuate their way as the ONLY way ).These different paths are for the purpose of reaching souls that are in different stages of evolution and development, therefore none is more important than the other ( because they all serve a purpose)However, within Hinduism there are distinct systems of worship of various God forms (Devis and Devatas) that serve the purpose of unfolding your consciousness - your path ( this is not something that you can turn on and off at your will )e.g Ganapatyam - worshippers of Lord

GaneshShaktas - Worshipers of DeviSauras - Worshippers of the SunVaishnavas - Worshippers of Lord VishnuShaivas - Worshippers of Lord SivaWhen you are required to perform your obligations, you need to complete this to move forward. Failure to do this will only lead to more misery until you come around. While this may be perceived as undemocratic and against your free will, Lord Siva has been with you for lifetimes and as he is immortal - he is not going anywhere either.Please understand this is not about emotion ( how you personally feel about this requires objective understanding ) but what is in your best interest.Namah SivayaPandit Devendra MaharajAum--- On Sat, 4/11/09, poisoned_innocences <zziegamp wrote:poisoned_innocences

<zziegamp A Troubling Question Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009, 6:17 AM

Hello, everyone (and please forgive me if this comes through twice)

Very recently, I have been going over a troubling question and would like to ask what the members of the list think. Is Shiva - and, perhaps more importantly - Hinduism (that is, all the religions and sects that fall under this catch-all phrase) a God and religion that is available to all peoples of the Earth? Does a white woman from Australia - whose ancestors came from Europe and probably had no contact with India or its many great religions - have any right to say that she began her path towards enlightenment because Shiva was a constant, almost unbearable, presence in her life for six months until she accepted him and began to worship him?

My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of many paths - all paths are equally important - and of the many spiritual aspirants walking them - that no one aspirant is more important than the next. Is my understanding wrong?

(The white woman used as an example is, obviously, me. I literally had no rest during those months - my thoughts revolved around Shiva and only Shiva to the point that it distracted me from my daily activities. It was not until I began to worship him in one of his many forms that this stopped.)

Sincerely

Casey

Guest guest

Hi Casey,

I live in London and have seen quiet a few people being interested in Hinduism and Lord Shiva.

One white Gentleman who interacts with me and exchanges spiritual information with me changed his name to Tanmai from Thomas.

Not only here, I have witnessed many westerners in Tiruvannamalai (a sacred place in south India) where exists Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi's Ashram and the sacred Arunchala hill. The hill is conidered as Lord Shiva himself.

Hinduism describes the path to attain salvation and self realisation. It is available to all the beings of the earth to follow with Devotion.

Regards

Sriram"Only in quiet waters things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."--- On Sat, 4/11/09, poisoned_innocences <zziegamp wrote:

poisoned_innocences <zziegamp A Troubling Question Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009, 6:47 PM

Hello, everyone (and please forgive me if this comes through twice)Very recently, I have been going over a troubling question and would like to ask what the members of the list think. Is Shiva - and, perhaps more importantly - Hinduism (that is, all the religions and sects that fall under this catch-all phrase) a God and religion that is available to all peoples of the Earth? Does a white woman from Australia - whose ancestors came from Europe and probably had no contact with India or its many great religions - have any right to say that she began her path towards enlightenment because Shiva was a constant, almost unbearable, presence in her life for six months until she accepted him and began to worship him?My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of many paths - all paths are equally important - and of the many spiritual aspirants walking them - that no one aspirant is more important than the next. Is my

understanding wrong?(The white woman used as an example is, obviously, me. I literally had no rest during those months - my thoughts revolved around Shiva and only Shiva to the point that it distracted me from my daily activities. It was not until I began to worship him in one of his many forms that this stopped.)SincerelyCasey

Guest guest

Panditji, thanks for sharing your perspective. Its great to have learned people

on this forum. Casey, I was reading of another white woman who would see Durga

ambal in her dreams. She never knew who that 'lady' was until she saw a photo at

an Indian friend's house.

You've clearly got a lot of 'prior' spiritual endeavour. As a Christian you may

feel uncomfortable about worshipping form. But Lord Shiva is formless and in all

forms. The 'holy spirit', if you strip it of all the 'tradition' seems to me

exactly like Lord Shiva.

Tomato / toemaeto. Shiva is in every name and every form. The fact that you're

drawn to a particular mode of worship (please see Panditji's comments below on

the Hindu 'context') implies that you will be really good at it. Its like

finding a life-partner or a career - only more Significant:).

When the in-dweller sings - the universe dances. Don't worry about who has the

right. All Devotees have a right. Knowledge is what is lacking. You are chosen,

spiritual experiences in this material world are not to be ignored. Please do

pick one method, one mantra or one process and don't change your path under any

circumstance.

Rgds

, Dev Maharaj <dev_maharaj

wrote:

>

> Aum

> Namaste Casey

>

> Namah Sivaya

> Pandit Devendra Maharaj

>

> Aum

>

> --- On Sat, 4/11/09, poisoned_innocences <zziegamp wrote:

>

> poisoned_innocences <zziegamp

> A Troubling Question

>

> Saturday, April 11, 2009, 6:17 AM

> Hello, everyone (and please forgive me if this comes through twice)

> Sincerely

>

> Casey

>

Guest guest

Namaste,

Panditji has already answered your question. I will add a few things.

Nobody can think about Bhagavan Shiv without his will. Nobody can offer even a

drop of water to him without his will. Shiv in Sanskrit means auspicious. If you

read the English translation of Sri Rudram (a Vedic hymn), you will understand

that Shiv is the essence of everything - whether it is lightning or rain or dog

or water or mountain or river or forest or monk or robber or dacoit or Vedic

pandit .

So consider yourself blessed that Bhagavan Shiv wanted you to worship him - that

is a result of some past merits.

regards,

Shailendra

, Casey <zziegamp wrote:

>

> Hello, everyone

>

> Very recently, I have been going over a troubling question and would

> like to ask what the members of the list think. Is Shiva - and, perhaps

> more importantly - Hinduism (that is, all the religions and sects that

> fall under this catch-all phrase) a God and religion that is available

> to all peoples of the Earth? Does a white woman from Australia - whose

> ancestors came from Europe and probably had no contact with India or its

> many great religions - have any right to say that she began her path

> towards enlightenment because Shiva was a constant, almost unbearable,

> presence in her life for six months until she accepted him and began to

> worship him?

>

> My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of

> many paths - all paths are equally important - and of the many spiritual

> aspirants walking them - that no one aspirant is more important than the

> next. Is my understanding wrong?

>

> (The white woman used as an example is, obviously, me. I literally had

> no rest during those months - my thoughts revolved around Shiva and only

> Shiva to the point that it distracted me from my daily activities. It

> was not until I began to worship him in one of his many forms that this

> stopped.)

>

> Sincerely

> Casey

>

Guest guest

In one way All Beings in the Universe are EQUAL in all respects and what ever god they worship

all goes to same GOD. Just like the rain waters reach the SEA every worship of every GOD

goes to same GOD (KESAVA!!!)Hence no one needs to be converted to Hinduism as they are

born Hindus.and they can always come back to Hinduism from what ever religion they follow

hitherto.

But today religion has become a business proposition and one has to beware !!!!

TRC

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 7:12 AM, bhatnagar_shailendra <bhatnagar_shailendra wrote:

Namaste,Panditji has already answered your question. I will add a few things.Nobody can think about Bhagavan Shiv without his will. Nobody can offer even a drop of water to him without his will. Shiv in Sanskrit means auspicious. If you read the English translation of Sri Rudram (a Vedic hymn), you will understand that Shiv is the essence of everything - whether it is lightning or rain or dog or water or mountain or river or forest or monk or robber or dacoit or Vedic pandit .

So consider yourself blessed that Bhagavan Shiv wanted you to worship him - that is a result of some past merits.regards,Shailendra , Casey <zziegamp wrote:>> Hello, everyone>

> Very recently, I have been going over a troubling question and would > like to ask what the members of the list think. Is Shiva - and, perhaps > more importantly - Hinduism (that is, all the religions and sects that

> fall under this catch-all phrase) a God and religion that is available > to all peoples of the Earth? Does a white woman from Australia - whose > ancestors came from Europe and probably had no contact with India or its

> many great religions - have any right to say that she began her path > towards enlightenment because Shiva was a constant, almost unbearable, > presence in her life for six months until she accepted him and began to

> worship him?> > My understanding of Hinduism has always been that it is accepting of > many paths - all paths are equally important - and of the many spiritual > aspirants walking them - that no one aspirant is more important than the

> next. Is my understanding wrong?> > (The white woman used as an example is, obviously, me. I literally had > no rest during those months - my thoughts revolved around Shiva and only > Shiva to the point that it distracted me from my daily activities. It

> was not until I began to worship him in one of his many forms that this > stopped.)> > Sincerely> Casey>