IndiaDivine.org

Finding A Guru

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Shivbhakts,

recently one of the shivbhakts has requested the group about how to find a guru, I recently came across a book called "Sri Guru Charitra" by Acharya E.Bharadwaja, like all spiritual aspirants Acharya E.Bharadwaja was also searching for a sadguru who will guide him to self realization, below is an excerpt from his book where he clears his doubt and also I am providing a url to Acharya E.Bharadwaja's site which describes his experiences and also there are many books on Sri Shiridi Saibaba and Sri Dattatreya and also the famous book "Sri Guru Charitra" in English. I hope Acharya E Bharadwaja's life experience and his book "Sri Guru Charitra" will provide guidance on finding a guru. if any one in this group has more information on Acharya E.Bharadwaja please share with the group.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.

http://www.divyajanani.org/saibharadwaja/books/SreeGuruCharitra/Introduction.html

Excerpt from Guru Charitra

------

Once I visited Sri Ma Anandamayi at Naimisharanya (Uttar Pradesh) during the Bhagavat Saptah. At one of the daily expositions of the holy text, the revered speaker, Sri Akhandananda Saraswathi remarked that only a living Sadguru could lead his devotee to Self-realization and that a Sadguru who had cast off his body, however great he might be, can only fulfill prayers for one’s material good. He spoke in Hindi which I could only understand but cannot speak and so I could not discuss with him. As Sai Baba was no longer available to me in flesh and blood, I wondered what I could do, but I had no chance to get the clarification.

After a few months, I visited Shirdi on a proposed stay of seven days. I wished to obtain Sai Baba’s guidance and clarification in this matter. On the second day, I was very strongly impelled to visit my old student who was working in Pune. I was quite unusual, as I never visited anyone of my friends or kinsfolk. I had to yield to the impulse and I reached Pune. My friend was away at office. So I left my bag in his house and went out, wishing to spend the time in going round the city till my friend’s return. Quite accidentally, I enquired at a wayside florist whether there was any great saint worth visiting in Pune. The shop-keeper directed me to visit Sree Gulvani Maharaj, a direct disciple of Sree Vasudevananda Saraswathi.

As soon as I reached the muth, the aged saint greeted me saying, “Oh! The child of Sai Baba has come!†I at once realized that I could get a reliable clarification for my problem from him. He heard my question and said, “What that learned speaker said is true of only those who attained Enlightenment through their efforts. But Sai Baba of Shirdi is not such a one. He is the Avatar of Lord Dattatreya. He manifests himself to his worthy devotees even today in his physical form and guides them. You are on the right track. Go ahead.†When I took leave of him, I asked Gulvani Maharaj to give me any books that might help me in my quest. At his call, a devotee gave me a Sanskrit translation of Sree Guru Charitra and a book of Sanskrit verses in praise of Lord Dattatreya. “These are the only copies left with us. You are fortunate in getting them,†said the devotee. At once I realized that Sai Baba had blessed me with three things: the solution of

my doubt, a version of Sree Guru Charitra which I could read and for which I was longing; and the darshan and blessings of an eminent saint of the Datta tradition. I was all the happier to learn later that Sree Vasudevananda Saraswathi used to read the Sree Guru Charitra every day and that his, along with his other devotional practices, had won for him the darshan of Lord Dattatreya in a vision and his direct initiation with a mantra. The present work is a free English rendering of this work. I was more fully impressed by the value of the book when I learned that a large number of devotees were divinely directed to resort to Sree Akkalkot Maharaj as their Guru as a result of their devout study of Sree Guru Charitra.

Thanks for this kind of information,if I am not correct pls do correct me "Dattatrya" had 16 Gurus.It is some where in Vishnu puran.However Guru is not find by searching but if any one want Guru for starting something than don't wait for Guru to come for getting permission instead you pray Lord Shiva or Lord Vishnu or Shakti Maa for permission and say that you are my Guru.

Om Namah Shivay

Assaram--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Divakara Tanjore <div_tan wrote:

Divakara Tanjore <div_tan Finding A Guru , nsvnsvDate: Monday, December 7, 2009, 7:13 AM

Dear Shivbhakts,

recently one of the shivbhakts has requested the group about how to find a guru, I recently came across a book called "Sri Guru Charitra" by Acharya E.Bharadwaja, like all spiritual aspirants Acharya E.Bharadwaja was also searching for a sadguru who will guide him to self realization, below is an excerpt from his book where he clears his doubt and also I am providing a url to Acharya E.Bharadwaja' s site which describes his experiences and also there are many books on Sri Shiridi Saibaba and Sri Dattatreya and also the famous book "Sri Guru Charitra" in English. I hope Acharya E Bharadwaja's life experience and his book "Sri Guru Charitra" will provide guidance on finding a guru. if any one in this group has more information on Acharya E.Bharadwaja please share with the group.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.

http://www.divyajan ani.org/saibhara dwaja/books/ SreeGuruCharitra /Introduction. html

------------ --------- --------- ---------

Once I visited Sri Ma Anandamayi at Naimisharanya (Uttar Pradesh) during the Bhagavat Saptah. At one of the daily expositions of the holy text, the revered speaker, Sri Akhandananda Saraswathi remarked that only a living Sadguru could lead his devotee to Self-realization and that a Sadguru who had cast off his body, however great he might be, can only fulfill prayers for one’s material good. He spoke in Hindi which I could only understand but cannot speak and so I could not discuss with him. As Sai Baba was no longer available to me in flesh and blood, I wondered what I could do, but I had no chance to get the clarification.

After a few months, I visited Shirdi on a proposed stay of seven days. I wished to obtain Sai Baba’s guidance and clarification in this matter. On the second day, I was very strongly impelled to visit my old student who was working in Pune. I was quite unusual, as I never visited anyone of my friends or kinsfolk. I had to yield to the impulse and I reached Pune. My friend was away at office. So I left my bag in his house and went out, wishing to spend the time in going round the city till my friend’s return. Quite accidentally, I enquired at a wayside florist whether there was any great saint worth visiting in Pune. The shop-keeper directed me to visit Sree Gulvani Maharaj, a direct disciple of Sree Vasudevananda Saraswathi.

As soon as I reached the muth, the aged saint greeted me saying, “Oh! The child of Sai Baba has come!†I at once realized that I could get a reliable clarification for my problem from him. He heard my question and said, “What that learned speaker said is true of only those who attained Enlightenment through their efforts. But Sai Baba of Shirdi is not such a one. He is the Avatar of Lord Dattatreya. He manifests himself to his worthy devotees even today in his physical form and guides them. You are on the right track. Go ahead.†When I took leave of him, I asked Gulvani Maharaj to give me any books that might help me in my quest. At his call, a devotee gave me a Sanskrit translation of Sree Guru Charitra and a book of Sanskrit verses in praise of Lord Dattatreya. “These are the only copies left with us. You are fortunate in getting them,†said the devotee. At once I realized that Sai Baba had blessed me with three things: the solution of

my doubt, a version of Sree Guru Charitra which I could read and for which I was longing; and the darshan and blessings of an eminent saint of the Datta tradition. I was all the happier to learn later that Sree Vasudevananda Saraswathi used to read the Sree Guru Charitra every day and that his, along with his other devotional practices, had won for him the darshan of Lord Dattatreya in a vision and his direct initiation with a mantra. The present work is a free English rendering of this work. I was more fully impressed by the value of the book when I learned that a large number of devotees were divinely directed to resort to Sree Akkalkot Maharaj as their Guru as a result of their devout study of Sree Guru Charitra.

I do not know much about sri Dattatreya...I am also learning... I shared about Acharya E.Bharadwaja because I felt he is very good and also heard highly about him, he is a very recent spirutual teacher and his experiences and book "Sri Guru Charitra" will be more relevent to out time.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.

--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993 wrote:

Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993Re: Finding A Guru Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks for this kind of information, if I am not correct pls do correct me "Dattatrya" had 16 Gurus.It is some where in Vishnu puran.However Guru is not find by searching but if any one want Guru for starting something than don't wait for Guru to come for getting permission instead you pray Lord Shiva or Lord Vishnu or Shakti Maa for permission and say that you are my Guru.

Om Namah Shivay

Assaram--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Divakara Tanjore <div_tan > wrote:

Divakara Tanjore <div_tan >[om_namah_shivaya_ group] Finding A Guruom_namah_shivaya_ group@ s.com, nsvnsv (AT) gmail (DOT) comMonday, December 7, 2009, 7:13 AM

Dear Shivbhakts,

recently one of the shivbhakts has requested the group about how to find a guru, I recently came across a book called "Sri Guru Charitra" by Acharya E.Bharadwaja, like all spiritual aspirants Acharya E.Bharadwaja was also searching for a sadguru who will guide him to self realization, below is an excerpt from his book where he clears his doubt and also I am providing a url to Acharya E.Bharadwaja' s site which describes his experiences and also there are many books on Sri Shiridi Saibaba and Sri Dattatreya and also the famous book "Sri Guru Charitra" in English. I hope Acharya E Bharadwaja's life experience and his book "Sri Guru Charitra" will provide guidance on finding a guru. if any one in this group has more information on Acharya E.Bharadwaja please share with the group.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.

http://www.divyajan ani.org/saibhara dwaja/books/ SreeGuruCharitra /Introduction. html

you are absolutely right Assaram ji, we dont have to find a guru... divine guidance will lead us through many gurus/teachers big and small... they are all needed and form the links in the big chain. In this information age we are living we have so many sources of knowledge which is not less than a teacher.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar. --- On Mon, 12/7/09, Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993 wrote:

Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993Re: Finding A Guru Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks for this kind of information, if I am not correct pls do correct me "Dattatrya" had 16 Gurus.It is some where in Vishnu puran.However Guru is not find by searching but if any one want Guru for starting something than don't wait for Guru to come for getting permission instead you pray Lord Shiva or Lord Vishnu or Shakti Maa for permission and say that you are my Guru.

Om Namah Shivay

Divakara Tanjore <div_tan >[om_namah_shivaya_ group] Finding A Guruom_namah_shivaya_ group@ s.com, nsvnsv (AT) gmail (DOT) comMonday, December 7, 2009, 7:13 AM

Dear Shivbhakts,

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.

here is more information on Swami Dattatreya and Dattatreya temple.http://gulbarga.nic.in/GANAGAPUR/GANAGAPUR_HOME.htm--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993 wrote:Assaram Alamchandani <aac6993Re: Finding A Guru Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Om Namah Shivay

Dear Shivbhakts,

Om Namah Shivaya,

Divakar.