IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Harappan era sites near Pune and Calcutta?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

[i was criticized for talking of Vikramkhol inscriptions, as there are

no Harappan sites in Eastern India. While I have replied the critics

citing the references, this piece by Carlos (a member here) is a

fitting reply, thanks you Carlos - kishore patnaik]

IndiaArchaeology , " Carlos Aramayo "

<carlosaramayotigres wrote:

IndiaArchaeology , " Dean Anderson "

<eastwestcultural@> wrote:

>

> I've heard that there may be Harappan era sites near Pune and also

> near Dum Dum airport in Calcutta.

>

> Is this correct? Does anyone have any more information about these?

>

> Thanks,

>

> Dean

>

> Dr. Dean Anderson

> East West Cultural Institute

>

Dear Dean,

I could not find information on recent Harappan sites near Pune and

Dum Dum, but time ago I found news from Hazaribagh district of

Jharkhand , which is near West Bengal at the banks of Damodar river,

which flows from Jharkhand state to join the Ganges at a very near

place of Calcutta.

I was able to get the e-mail of Prashant Das from Tata Consultancy

Services Limited, Malad, Mumbai, who was working in the area,

and in January 2006 I had the following reply about harappan pottery

found there:

" Hi Carlos, We were requested by Mr. Bulu Imam, the convener of the

local chapter of INTACH(Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural

Heritage) to utilize our architectural expertise in studying the

architectural pattern of the region.

Mr. Imam, a noted environmentalist and recipient of several national

and international honours has since long been reseraching various

socio-environmental aspects of the region.

He and his organization have discovered certain sites in the jungles

that point towards a civilization which might be even older than the

Harappan. There are sufficient evidences that prove the existence of

Pre-historic civilizations specially paleolithic. While surveying

the jungles and rural areas we could witness certain sites which

have terracotta urns burried underground with ash contained in them

(very similar to Harappan civilization). There are sites which have

paleolithic stone-henges and stone-tools. Carbon dating of the same

were done at Dresden(Germany). There are sites which have ancient

rockart.

It has yet not been established that the civilization (Damodar

Valley civilization, as named by Mr. Imam) has close relationship

with the Harappan, most of his arguements sound convincing.

We restricted ourselves within architectural/planning realms and the

impacts of coal-mining on the age-long culture. However, the study

of the architectural-section of the rural houses being built in the

region today do carry similarities with Harappan houses.

you can know more about Bulu at http://www.geocities.com/buluimam

and

http://www.geocities.com/hazintach "

On the other hand in the state of Orissa there are gigantic

inscriptions very similar to Harappan ones at the caves of

Vikramkhol:

http://urltea.com/nbe

I hope this helps. Although there is much to be known.

Best regards

Carlos Aramayo

Historian

La Paz

Bolivia

--- End forwarded message ---

Jharkhand is also famous for Monoliths.

Dr. Deepak Bhattacharya.

==============================

-

Kishore patnaik

Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:02 AM

Fwd: Re: Harappan era sites near Pune and Calcutta?

[i was criticized for talking of Vikramkhol inscriptions, as there areno Harappan sites in Eastern India. While I have replied the criticsciting the references, this piece by Carlos (a member here) is afitting reply, thanks you Carlos - kishore patnaik]IndiaArchaeology , "Carlos Aramayo"<carlosaramayotigres wrote:IndiaArchaeology , "Dean Anderson" <eastwestcultural@> wrote:>> I've heard that there may be Harappan era sites near Pune and also > near Dum Dum airport in Calcutta.> > Is this correct? Does anyone have any more information about these?> > Thanks,> > Dean> > Dr. Dean Anderson> East West Cultural Institute>Dear Dean,I could not find information on recent Harappan sites near Pune and Dum Dum, but time ago I found news from Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand , which is near West Bengal at the banks of Damodar river, which flows from Jharkhand state to join the Ganges at a very near place of Calcutta.I was able to get the e-mail of Prashant Das from Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Malad, Mumbai, who was working in the area,and in January 2006 I had the following reply about harappan pottery found there:"Hi Carlos, We were requested by Mr. Bulu Imam, the convener of the local chapter of INTACH(Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage) to utilize our architectural expertise in studying the architectural pattern of the region. Mr. Imam, a noted environmentalist and recipient of several national and international honours has since long been reseraching various socio-environmental aspects of the region. He and his organization have discovered certain sites in the jungles that point towards a civilization which might be even older than the Harappan. There are sufficient evidences that prove the existence of Pre-historic civilizations specially paleolithic. While surveying the jungles and rural areas we could witness certain sites which have terracotta urns burried underground with ash contained in them (very similar to Harappan civilization). There are sites which have paleolithic stone-henges and stone-tools. Carbon dating of the same were done at Dresden(Germany). There are sites which have ancient rockart. It has yet not been established that the civilization (Damodar Valley civilization, as named by Mr. Imam) has close relationship with the Harappan, most of his arguements sound convincing. We restricted ourselves within architectural/planning realms and the impacts of coal-mining on the age-long culture. However, the study of the architectural-section of the rural houses being built in the region today do carry similarities with Harappan houses. you can know more about Bulu at http://www.geocities.com/buluimam and http://www.geocities.com/hazintach "On the other hand in the state of Orissa there are gigantic inscriptions very similar to Harappan ones at the caves of Vikramkhol:http://urltea.com/nbeI hope this helps. Although there is much to be known.Best regardsCarlos AramayoHistorianLa PazBolivia--- End forwarded message ---

Dear Shri Carlosji and Shri Kishore Patnaikji,

I feel that it is only logical to look for traces of Harappan civilization in areas like the places where the Santhals reside as they have been found to be using the Proto-Brahmi Harappan symbols still today to decorate the outside walls of their houses. It is reasonable to believe that the the scholarly section of the Harappan migrants, who dissipated in different directions, after their cities of Harappa and Mohenjodaro were devastated by repeated floods due to diversion of Shatadru to Indus and also due to the gradual desertification of the Indus valley due to drying up of the river Saraswati for the same raeson, had since transcribed their writings from the proto-Brahmi script to the latter much-mproved Brahmi-script. This also explains why any manuscript on the proto-Brahmi script has not been discovered till today. On the other hand in certain pockets such as in those Santhal areas the old Proto-Brahmi script

remained preserved.. That the Proto-Brahmi script is also adequate for a language was shown in 1925 CE when the first book on that script appeared. For similar reason it is no wonder if one finds remnants of the Proto-Brahmi script in Vikramkhol caves.

I will like to receive your comments on this from the learned readers of this forum..

Regards,

Sunil K. bhattacharjya

--- On Fri, 10/31/08, Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 wrote:

Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 Fwd: Re: Harappan era sites near Pune and Calcutta? Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 10:32 PM

[i was criticized for talking of Vikramkhol inscriptions, as there areno Harappan sites in Eastern India. While I have replied the criticsciting the references, this piece by Carlos (a member here) is afitting reply, thanks you Carlos - kishore patnaik]IndiaArchaeology, "Carlos Aramayo"<carlosaramayotigre s wrote:IndiaArchaeology, "Dean Anderson" <eastwestcultural@ > wrote:>> I've heard that there may be Harappan era sites near Pune and also > near Dum Dum airport in Calcutta.> > Is this correct? Does anyone have any more information about these?> > Thanks,> > Dean> > Dr. Dean Anderson> East

West

Cultural Institute>Dear Dean,I could not find information on recent Harappan sites near Pune and Dum Dum, but time ago I found news from Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand , which is near West Bengal at the banks of Damodar river, which flows from Jharkhand state to join the Ganges at a very near place of Calcutta.I was able to get the e-mail of Prashant Das from Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Malad, Mumbai, who was working in the area,and in January 2006 I had the following reply about harappan pottery found there:"Hi Carlos, We were requested by Mr. Bulu Imam, the convener of the local chapter of INTACH(Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage) to utilize our architectural expertise in studying the architectural pattern of the region. Mr. Imam, a noted environmentalist and recipient of several national and international honours has since long been

reseraching various socio-environmental aspects of the region. He and his organization have discovered certain sites in the jungles that point towards a civilization which might be even older than the Harappan. There are sufficient evidences that prove the existence of Pre-historic civilizations specially paleolithic. While surveying the jungles and rural areas we could witness certain sites which have terracotta urns burried underground with ash contained in them (very similar to Harappan civilization) . There are sites which have paleolithic stone-henges and stone-tools. Carbon dating of the same were done at Dresden(Germany) . There are sites which have ancient rockart. It has yet not been established that the civilization (Damodar Valley civilization, as named by Mr. Imam) has close relationship with the Harappan, most of his arguements sound convincing. We restricted ourselves within

architectural/ planning realms and the impacts of coal-mining on the age-long culture. However, the study of the architectural- section of the rural houses being built in the region today do carry similarities with Harappan houses. you can know more about Bulu at http://www.geocitie s.com/buluimam and http://www.geocitie s.com/hazintach "On the other hand in the state of Orissa there are gigantic inscriptions very similar to Harappan ones at the caves of Vikramkhol:http://urltea. com/nbeI hope this helps. Although there is much to be known.Best regardsCarlos AramayoHistorianLa PazBolivia--- End forwarded message

---

Good view point. Well articulated.

During field works, I have been seeing tribal hutments having near identical art work, as those on the Harappan Gylptics..

Regards

Dr. Deepak Bhattacharya

==========================

-

Sunil Bhattacharjya

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:59 PM

Re: Fwd: Re: Harappan era sites near Pune and Calcutta?

Dear Shri Carlosji and Shri Kishore Patnaikji,

I feel that it is only logical to look for traces of Harappan civilization in areas like the places where the Santhals reside as they have been found to be using the Proto-Brahmi Harappan symbols still today to decorate the outside walls of their houses. It is reasonable to believe that the the scholarly section of the Harappan migrants, who dissipated in different directions, after their cities of Harappa and Mohenjodaro were devastated by repeated floods due to diversion of Shatadru to Indus and also due to the gradual desertification of the Indus valley due to drying up of the river Saraswati for the same raeson, had since transcribed their writings from the proto-Brahmi script to the latter much-mproved Brahmi-script. This also explains why any manuscript on the proto-Brahmi script has not been discovered till today. On the other hand in certain pockets such as in those Santhal areas the old Proto-Brahmi script remained preserved.. That the Proto-Brahmi script is also adequate for a language was shown in 1925 CE when the first book on that script appeared. For similar reason it is no wonder if one finds remnants of the Proto-Brahmi script in Vikramkhol caves.

I will like to receive your comments on this from the learned readers of this forum..

Regards,

Sunil K. bhattacharjya

--- On Fri, 10/31/08, Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 > wrote:

Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 > Fwd: Re: Harappan era sites near Pune and Calcutta? Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 10:32 PM

[i was criticized for talking of Vikramkhol inscriptions, as there areno Harappan sites in Eastern India. While I have replied the criticsciting the references, this piece by Carlos (a member here) is afitting reply, thanks you Carlos - kishore patnaik]IndiaArchaeology, "Carlos Aramayo"<carlosaramayotigre s wrote:IndiaArchaeology, "Dean Anderson" <eastwestcultural@ > wrote:>> I've heard that there may be Harappan era sites near Pune and also > near Dum Dum airport in Calcutta.> > Is this correct? Does anyone have any more information about these?> > Thanks,> > Dean> > Dr. Dean Anderson> East West Cultural Institute>Dear Dean,I could not find information on recent Harappan sites near Pune and Dum Dum, but time ago I found news from Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand , which is near West Bengal at the banks of Damodar river, which flows from Jharkhand state to join the Ganges at a very near place of Calcutta.I was able to get the e-mail of Prashant Das from Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Malad, Mumbai, who was working in the area,and in January 2006 I had the following reply about harappan pottery found there:"Hi Carlos, We were requested by Mr. Bulu Imam, the convener of the local chapter of INTACH(Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage) to utilize our architectural expertise in studying the architectural pattern of the region. Mr. Imam, a noted environmentalist and recipient of several national and international honours has since long been reseraching various socio-environmental aspects of the region. He and his organization have discovered certain sites in the jungles that point towards a civilization which might be even older than the Harappan. There are sufficient evidences that prove the existence of Pre-historic civilizations specially paleolithic. While surveying the jungles and rural areas we could witness certain sites which have terracotta urns burried underground with ash contained in them (very similar to Harappan civilization) . There are sites which have paleolithic stone-henges and stone-tools. Carbon dating of the same were done at Dresden(Germany) . There are sites which have ancient rockart. It has yet not been established that the civilization (Damodar Valley civilization, as named by Mr. Imam) has close relationship with the Harappan, most of his arguements sound convincing. We restricted ourselves within architectural/ planning realms and the impacts of coal-mining on the age-long culture. However, the study of the architectural- section of the rural houses being built in the region today do carry similarities with Harappan houses. you can know more about Bulu at http://www.geocitie s.com/buluimam and http://www.geocitie s.com/hazintach "On the other hand in the state of Orissa there are gigantic inscriptions very similar to Harappan ones at the caves of Vikramkhol:http://urltea. com/nbeI hope this helps. Although there is much to be known.Best regardsCarlos AramayoHistorianLa PazBolivia--- End forwarded message ---

During field works, I have been seeing tribal hutments having near identical art work, as those on the Harappan Gylptics..

Regards Dr. Deepak Bhattacharya

sir,

Do you have any articles or organized work in this connection>?

It is good to see that scholars agree with my assertion that Brahmi and Indus are in fact related. However, my arguement that Vikramkhol, Ushakothi and Dwaraka must be the intermediatiary stages between Indus and Brahmi scripts is yet to attract the scholars' attention in a serious way.

best regards,

Kishore patnaik