IndiaDivine.org

Gandhara

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all, We know that Gandhara was a powerful kingdom at the time of invasion of Alexander. It was famous for its elephants, which was why Alexander did not attack it. However, is there any name mentioned in Classic Greek literature as the king of Gandhara either at the time of Alexander or later?

I will be too obliged if one of you points out such mention and its implications. regards, Kishore patnaik

Dear Kishore Patnaikji,Once when I was abroad I saw a TV program, which showed how Alexander conquered Gandhar by traversing through the most unexpected and hazardous hilly route to surprise his enemies and defeat them. That is how he could conquer that difficult kingdom. But I do not remember the details of the program. May be some of our learned members would remember.Regards,Sunil K. bhatacharjya--- On Sun, 11/2/08, kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 wrote:kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 Gandhara"indiaarchaeology" <IndiaArchaeology >, Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 6:46

AM

Dear all, We know that Gandhara was a powerful kingdom at the time of invasion of Alexander. It was famous for its elephants, which was why Alexander did not attack it. However, is there any name mentioned in Classic Greek literature as the king of Gandhara either at the time of Alexander or later?

I will be too obliged if one of you points out such mention and its implications. regards, Kishore patnaik

Sir,

Was Gandhara a kingdom adjoining KAMBOJA.

In th Sanskrit literature KAMBOJA is depicted as a supplier of excellent horses.

Bhalchandra G. Thattey

On 11/5/08, Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09 wrote:

, Sunil Bhattacharjya<sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:

>> Dear Kishore Patnaikji,> > Once when I was abroad I saw a TV program, which showed howAlexander conquered Gandhar by traversing through the most unexpectedand hazardous hilly route to surprise his enemies and defeat them.

That is how he could conquer that difficult kingdom. But I do notremember the details of the program. May be some of our learnedmembers would remember.> > Regards,> > Sunil K. bhatacharjya

Sir, Namaskar. Kindly refer to the article " Alexander and the GangesAuthor(s): W. W. Tarn Source: The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol.43, Part 2 (1923), pp. 93-101 " which mentions a Gazatte issued by

Alexander just before his death. It talks of Gandhara. As per this article, Gandhara is a powerful country at the time ofAlexander and he did not attack it because of its elephants' force.regards,

Kishore patnaik -- Bhalchandra G. ThatteyShubham BhavatuSvalpasya Yogasya Trayate Mahato Bhayat

Kamboj of Vishnu Puran is not Cambodia but a territory between Afghanistan and Kashmir.

R T Somaiya--- On Fri, 7/11/08, venkata krishnan <bcvk71 wrote:

venkata krishnan <bcvk71Re: Re: Gandhara , kishorepatnaik09, "'Lila'" <ssmfusFriday, 7 November, 2008, 3:03 PM

Dear Mr.Bhalchandra Thattey,

Gandhara is modern Afganistan.Kamboja is modern Kambodia.And Paaraasica mentioned in Vishnu Purana is Persia (i.e.) modern Iran.And allthese kingdoms are part of BHARATAVARSHA which is mentioned in VISHNU PURANA.

Cordially,

B.C.VENKATAKRISHNAN .

Bhalchandra Thattey <tobhalgt (AT) grouply (DOT) com>Re: Re: Gandhara, kishorepatnaik09@ gmail.comWednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:10 PM

Sir,

In th Sanskrit literature KAMBOJA is depicted as a supplier of excellent horses.

Bhalchandra G. Thattey

On 11/5/08, Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09@ gmail.com> wrote:

, Sunil Bhattacharjya<sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:>> Dear Kishore Patnaikji,> > Once when I was abroad I saw a TV program, which showed howAlexander conquered Gandhar by traversing through the most unexpectedand hazardous hilly route to surprise his enemies and defeat them.That is how he could conquer that difficult kingdom. But I do notremember the details of the program. May be some of our learnedmembers would remember.> > Regards,> > Sunil K. bhatacharjya Sir, Namaskar. Kindly refer to the article " Alexander and the GangesAuthor(s): W. W. Tarn Source: The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol.43, Part 2 (1923), pp. 93-101" which mentions a Gazatte issued byAlexander just before his death. It

talks of Gandhara. As per this article, Gandhara is a powerful country at the time ofAlexander and he did not attack it because of its elephants' force.regards, Kishore patnaik -- Bhalchandra G. ThatteyShubham BhavatuSvalpasya Yogasya Trayate Mahato Bhayat

Be the first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta!

I have it, again from HASA, that Kambuja is Cambodia.Kamboja is SWAT, north of Gandhara, between Swat & Indus rivers.(p. 13 pl. a)

This is important specific information, along with what has been given by Prof Somaiya. Kamboja , if I am right, is more known for its horse strength and fought with Alexander.

I can verify this later and tell you whether this is right and if correct, the specific details.

On the other hand, I am worried about any name of the king of Gandhra that is mentioned in Greek litt.for a better understanding.

regards,

Kishore patnaik

The Kalingans who were primarily master mariners think Kamboja is modern Cambodia.

Thank you

db

-

venkata krishnan

; kishorepatnaik09 ; 'Lila'

Friday, November 07, 2008 3:03 PM

Re: Re: Gandhara

Dear Mr.Bhalchandra Thattey,

Gandhara is modern Afganistan.Kamboja is modern Kambodia.And Paaraasica mentioned in Vishnu Purana is Persia (i.e.) modern Iran.And allthese kingdoms are part of BHARATAVARSHA which is mentioned in VISHNU PURANA.

Cordially,

B.C.VENKATAKRISHNAN.

Bhalchandra Thattey <tobhalgt (AT) grouply (DOT) com>Re: Re: Gandhara , kishorepatnaik09 Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:10 PM

Sir,

Bhalchandra G. Thattey

On 11/5/08, Kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09@ gmail.com> wrote:

, Sunil Bhattacharjya<sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:>> Dear Kishore Patnaikji,> > Once when I was abroad I saw a TV program, which showed howAlexander conquered Gandhar by traversing through the most unexpectedand hazardous hilly route to surprise his enemies and defeat them.That is how he could conquer that difficult kingdom. But I do notremember the details of the program. May be some of our learnedmembers would remember.> > Regards,> > Sunil K. bhatacharjya Sir, Namaskar. Kindly refer to the article " Alexander and the GangesAuthor(s): W. W. Tarn Source: The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol.43, Part 2 (1923), pp. 93-101" which mentions a Gazatte issued byAlexander just before his death. It talks of Gandhara. As per this article, Gandhara is a powerful country at the time ofAlexander and he did not attack it because of its elephants' force.regards, Kishore patnaik -- Bhalchandra G. ThatteyShubham BhavatuSvalpasya Yogasya Trayate Mahato Bhayat