IndiaDivine.org

Fw: [Ind-Arch] Dates for the Buddha need revision -- Charles Prebish

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

--- On Tue, 3/24/09, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:

Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjyaRe: [ind-Arch] Re: Dates for the Buddha need revision -- Charles PrebishIndiaArchaeology Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 7:04 PM

Dear Yashwantji,

Namaste,

Sri Lankan scholars (Pachow included) distorted the date of Lord Buddha. As regards Nigantha Nathaputra he was a senior contemporary of Gautama Buddha and he died near Kushinagar in UP, whereas Lord Mahavira died in Pavapuri near Nalanda in Bihar. These two places are about 350 kilometres apart. But due to wrong dating of Lord Buddha people were confused and started thinking that Nigantha Nathaputra was Lord Mahavira.

Incidentally Lord Mahavira had a disciple named Gautama Indrabhuti, who tried to sort out with Kesi, a follower of Bhagavan Parsvanath regarding the differences between the teachings of Lord Mahavira and Bhagavan Parsvanth. Some jains think this Gautama Indrabhuti to be Gautama Buddha.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya--- On Tue, 3/24/09, ymalaiya <ymalaiya wrote:

ymalaiya <ymalaiya[ind-Arch] Re: Dates for the Buddha need revision -- Charles PrebishIndiaArchaeology Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 5:20 PM

In this context, I should mention that texts from both Jain traditions(Digambara and Swetambara) mention that the Nirvana of Lord Mahaviraoccurred 605 years and 5 months before the Saka king's era.It is mentioned for example in Harivamsha Purana of Jinasena (saka 705),Tiloyapannatti, Titthogali Painnaya, Dhavala, Trilokasara etc.There was a claim by A. Shantiraj Shasri published in 1941 thatsuggested the Saka ruler was the Vikramaraja, but this claim is thoughtto be in error.Gautama Buddha was a junior contemporary of Mahavira (NigganthaNataputta), according to Pali texts.YashwantIndiaArchaeology, "Francesco Brighenti"<frabrig > wrote:>>>>>>> IndiaArchaeology, "graecoindia"philostratus. the.elder@ wrote:>> > Wheeler did a great job is using finds of Roman coins to fix dates> > across cultural layers of Southern India. My attempts to examinesuch> > archaeology (e.g. finds of Roman coins in Gandharan sites) in> > Greco-India hit a wall of silence. If we are to await action from> > archaeologists in Pakistan, Afghanistan and India, I think we may> > have to wait a very long time - maybe after hell has frozen over.> >> > I am not going to wait, or sit quietly on this. There are ways and> > means. I have a project working on providing reliable dates and we> > will succeed.>> Dear Sir/Madam,>> Dis you simply forget to sign

off your post, or is the concealing ofyour identity intentional?>> Thanks and best regards,> Francesco Brighenti>