IndiaDivine.org

From Puttaparthi... When Swami Got Stranded

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was once driving Swami to Madras from Puttaparthi. (1961- '62) In those days, whenever Swami wanted to make a long distance trip by car, He would send me advanced information.

SWAMI gave standard instructions: "Fill the tank with petrol and also carry some extra petrol in a few cans." I have driven Swami to many places like Hyderabad, Madras and so forth. On this occasion there was no advanced intimation sent to me before I left for Puttaparthi, so I did not bother about a full tank.

But as soon as I reached Puttaparthi Swami suddenly announced, "We are going to Madras," and got in the car. Even as He did so, He asked me, "Have you got the tank filled?" I replied, "Swami, when I asked you earlier, you told me you had no plans for long distance travel. So I did not fill the tank. But now you have changed your mind. What am I to do?"

Swami brushed this aside and replied, "Forget all that. Just tell me how far the car can go with the petrol inside." I said, "Swami, we possibly could go up to Chickballapur, but maybe we could fill the tank in Penukonda on the way or even in Bagepalli."

Swami got into the car and I started driving. The moment we left, Swami started ticking me off. He said, "You have made a big mistake. You should have filled the tank earlier. Don't you know that in life there could be a sudden change of plans? You must know how to anticipate. Events will not always happen with earlier announcements," and so on.

We reached Penukonda but the bunk there had no petrol. We drove on and reached Bagepalli; no luck there. With great trepidation, I then drove on to Chickballapur, and to my great horror, both the bunks there were dry! In those days traffic was quite light and bunks filled up only once in a while.

Swami then asked, "What route are you going to take? And how long do you think you can manage with the petrol you have?" I replied, "Swami, I think with careful managing we may be able to reach Kolar, where we can surely fill the tank."

Swami pondered that for a minute and then said, "You think so? In that case, go ahead but make sure you do not leave me stranded in the middle of the road!!!"

I said fine but then I was under such stress that I took a wrong turn and entered the road leading to Chintamani instead of Kolar. My head started spinning. Here I was on the wrong road and there was no bunk in Chintamani.

And exactly as I had feared, after some time the car did come to a stop. Swami asked, "What is the matter?" I knew the answer but stalling for time a bit, I replied, "Swami, let me see what the problem is." A moment or two later, I meekly said, "Swami, the petrol is exhausted."

Swami asked, "What? No petrol? Does that mean I am stuck here in this car in the middle of nowhere? What are you going to do now?"

When I got out of the car, Swami also got out. He then said to me, "Open the tank." I said in reply, "Swami, the fuel gauge shows the tank is empty. I can of course open the tank, but it is not easy to see inside." To that Swami said, "Does not matter; you just open the tank; I want to see for myself."

I removed the cap and opened the tank, after which Swami peered inside. His hands were on the car and He was "gently tapping" even as He looked deep inside. He then said, "No petrol inside, and also no prospects for getting petrol now, right?"

Swami then said, "Doesn't matter. You get in and just turn on the switch and look at the meter again. Maybe you did not read the gauge properly."

I obeyed and got into the car and turned on the switch. I saw the meter and it showed the tank was full!!! I was puzzled and said, "Swami, I think something is wrong with this meter." Swami rejected my analysis and said, "How can that be? This is a new car. I think the meter is right. You just turn the key and see what happens."

I did that, and wonder of wonders, the car started! Meanwhile, Swami started laughing, and that was when I realized that by tapping the tank from the outside, in a flash, he had actually filled the tank. Swami then said, "Let this not happen again. Always be prepared and be ready for all eventualities!!!"

The immensely fortunate person who was driving the car: Chidambaram Krishnan. (See photos)

http://media.radiosai.org/Journals/Vol_04/01MAY06/unforgettable.htm