IndiaDivine.org

Sanathana Sarathi through the years

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Sanathana Sarathi, is therefore, a creation, an extension, a ‘manifested missionary’ of Sai. Just like the name and the form, the Lord and the message are inseparable. ‘Sanathana Sarathi’, verily, for all its readers, is Sai in black and white. And Swami personally took great care of its purity, sanctity, authenticity and affordability right from its inception. In fact, in the very first issue of the magazine itself it was declared, “Contribution of articles, especially from those of those who endeavour to put into practice what they speak and write out on spirituality, are welcome. And anything that smacks of ‘public news or comments on public news’ or personal attacks, rude phraseology or even non-devotional sentiments can find no place in here.” For many years Sanathana Sarathi had articles and experiences from devotees but every literary piece had to pass these strict stipulations. In the September 1960 issue, for example, there was a revealing story by Mr. P S Menon titled “Significant Words” which said: “Last Dasara (1959), on the day when the poor were fed, I and few others were holding back the thousands, beyond the gate of Prasanthi Nilayam for over two hours, when suddenly, in obedience to someone’s orders, they broke all barriers and rushed pell-mell to the pandal (stage), to the left of the Nilayam! I was very much annoyed that all our labour had gone waste; but, Baba called me towards the pandal saying ‘Menon! Go and see that all are seated in rows. I am coming.’ I went to the pandal and was surprised to see

all that motley mass arranged in perfect rows. Baba came there in a few minutes. He walked along the rows, and turning towards me, said, ‘Menon! Look at the wonderful variety of Creation!’ That was a revealing remark. Those words opened my eyes. Yes, there must have been present in that pandal, at that time many pious souls, sadhakas, saints, seekers, pretenders, penitents, idlers, idealists, castaways, misfits, and many other types besides, making up this vast multicoloured panorama of humanity. The scene was not something to be viewed with disgust, as I was prone to; it was something to be watched, and studied with sympathy and discrimination. “A few hours later when the Feeding had started and Baba had served with His Hand the

sweets to the poor, Himself to each and everyone, I was in the kitchen near the pile of the rice, straightening my back to relieve the strain. Suddenly, Baba appeared before us. He asked me, ‘Grand, isn’t it?’ I replied, ‘Yes, Swami. There must be at least three thousands.’ But Baba smiled and said, ‘Not that! The Shanti (peace) and the Ananda (bliss) here now… How is that?” Significant words those two! Yes, they revealed to me my error, in getting disgusted with the noise and confusion all around me. I must have concentrated, instead on the Ananda that the poor got and the consequent Shanti that prevailed in their minds. These were more real, than the noise and confusion, certainly. Thus does Baba, by a casual remark, a word or

two, reveal to the ignorant the significance of things and events. He is the Sadguru, the Great Teacher.” Such experiences were more frequent in the initial decade of the magazine. But as devotees’ stories started pouring in profusely and it was difficult to establish which was authentic and which was ‘augmented imagination’, articles from readers became occasional and rare in the magazine. But one salient feature remained, however, – bringing alive breathtaking happenings in Swami’s presence, whether He was in Puttaparthi or on tour to any other fortunate destination. For instance, the January 1959 issue described Swami’s visit to the holy state of Kerala of which a small excerpt goes like this: “…In the evening (of December 21, 1958), Baba arrived at Kovalam Beach, seven miles away from the City, accompanied by the members of His entourage, as well as many devotees from Trivandrum. At a quite spot on the seashore, far away from the noise and bustle of the Capital, Baba gave those around Him, the unique pleasure of hearing Him sing a number of songs. Everyone joined in the Bhajan that followed; during the Bhajan, Baba ‘took’ (created) from the sands a beautiful image of Murali Krishna and a Gold ring with the Radha-Krishna motif embossed charmingly on it. Being Vaikuntha Ekadasi Day, Baba also ‘took’ Amrita (nectar), this time

from His Hands! The Bhaktas (devotees) who sat around Him could sense the captivating fragrance, long before the actual materialisation, and even as Baba was singing a song, He pointed His joint palms at a silver vessel and the ambrosial Amrita gurgled into it from His fingers! Baba then distributed the Nectar, Himself, to everyone present, including a few fortunate fisher folk from the hamlet nearby.” Apart from these scintillating stories, there was also a special section called “Healing Touch” which carried medical miracles that are so common in Swami’s hospitals. Dr. V Brahmam serving in the Sri Sathya Sai General Hospital (the only hospital then) in the October 1960 issue writes, “Sai Prabha (age 8 years) had typhoid fever which ran through full three weeks; after touching normal for a week, she had a relapse. The temperature was 104 steady for four days and thereafter it wavered from 101 to 103. So, she was admitted to the Sathya Sai Hospital . On September 24, her condition caused anxiety; she was talking deliriously from 10:00 PM. But, at 3 PM she called out, in her usual voice, ‘Grandma, grandma! See, Baba has come! Get up Baba is giving me Vibhuti He has applied to my brow.’ We rose and went to the bedside. Yes! There was a big patch of white Vibhuti on her brow! Baba had come in His subtle form and blessed the child. The thermometer showed that the temperature had come down to normal! When I went to Him, Baba made fun of me, saying, ‘Well! What shall I say of your bandobust (security arrangements)? You do not know who comes and goes!’ It was the fifth day of the Dasara Festival; so, hundreds of devotees came to the ward and saw the mark of Baba’s Grace on the face of the sick child.” The magazine, therefore, has been a treat for devotees and spiritual seekers alike right from day one. One very important characteristic which distinguishes it from other similar publications, apart from its crystalline message in candid words, is its complete absence of any commercial intent whatsoever. ‘No sort of commercial advertisements is allowed to be published in this magazine’ - the announcement was emphatic and loud in the very first issue; and it has been this way for five decades now. In fact, the magazine was mailed and distributed to all the rs free in the first five months. Only from July 1958, did rs pay a very nominal amount. The message from the editor then read: ‘We had at first no intention to fix a price for our Sanathana Sarathi. But, on account of postal regulations and other circumstances, we have now to decide that it’s annual, nominal subscription shall be three rupees.’ “Baba did not favour campaigns to enlist rs, donors, patrons, etc. or even acceptance of subscription fees for more years than one,” Prof. Kasturi writes in

his biography about the initial years of the magazine. “He wanted readers to decide for themselves whether they wished to continue the diet which was placed before them. Baba negatived a proposal to post letters to rs cautioning them that if they do not pay for another year, the Sarathi would not be sent to their address. ‘Leave it to them. The hunger that hurts is caution enough,’ He said. ‘The Sarathi should be awaited, accepted, treasured and studied with avidity. Missing it must be as saddening as missing a companion on the journey through a strange land,’ He said.” And that was exactly how it was felt especially in those days when, leave aside the internet revolution, even telecom penetration was poor in India . “The

Sanathana Sarathi was a lifeline, reaching all the way back to Prasanthi Nilayam, which helped build a sturdy foundation of faith,” recalls Chris Parnell from Australia. “In the days of being a new devotee, it was anxiously awaited in the mails and every issue was studied from cover to cover – the pictures of Swami, the divine discourses. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning and some words, a paragraph, would come to mind and form the focus of the day's meditation and reflection. It was our life raft, our assurance, that monthly beacon of love.” And this perennial source of strength, support and spiritual light was sustained by the Sai Sadguru Himself because the cleansing cascade of divine wisdom from Swami’s heart flowed,

uninterrupted. It was Dhyana Vahini (the stream of Meditation) and Prasanthi Vahini (the Stream of Supreme Peace) from Jan 1959 to February 1961. Later, followed Jnana Vahini, Dharma Vahini and Upanishad Vahini – Streams of Knowledge, Righteousness and Supreme Philosophy, offering wisdom, and widening minds for thirty four consecutive months. The quill and the smile - Sai on a mission unparalleled Prasanthi Vahini - The gateway to perennial peace

"Meditation is nothing else but rising above desires" Greatest of truths in simplest of expressions In 1964-65, amidst touring the length and breadth of Andhra Pradesh and establishing the ashram in Brindavan, Bangalore , Bhagavan continued to take the pen and out came the glorious Stream of Divine Gospel – the Geetha Vahini. “The Geetha is as a boat, which takes man across from the self-imposed state of bondage to the freedom which is his nature. He is taken from darkness to light, from lustrelessness to splendour,” Swami said and explained, “The way it begins and the way it ends, that

gives the clue to the subject which it expounds. The very first verse (of Gita) starts with the words, Dharmakshethre, Kurukshethre..., the word Dharma being the leading word. The last verse of the final eighteenth chapter speaks of Yatha Yogeswarah Krishna and this word, ‘Yogeswarah’ sums up the Dharma that is taught. Thus, it is clear that the objective of the teaching in the Geetha is just this: ‘Remember Dharma; practise Dharma.’ Simultaneously with Geetha Vahini in February 1964, Bhagavan also started Prasnottara Vahini which was a stream of answers to questions on duties of man in various stages of life (who is superior – renunciant or a householder?), clarifications on procedures and principles of social and spiritual practices (Is caste system relevant today? Is the man of action wiser or is the man of devotion? Can women aspire for the

highest? etc.) – all in the form of short and crisp dialogues. It was now mid way through the sixties and Prasanthi Nilayam Ashram was separated from Puttaparthi to form a separate township which Swami inaugurated on August 1966. In April next year was held the First All India Conference of Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations. In November 1967, Swami laid the foundation for Dharmakshetra in Mumbai and after six months returned to inaugurate the building. Four days after this, in May 16, 1968 was held the First World Conference of Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations. Hardly eight weeks and Swami was on the plane on His first and only trip overseas. He returned from East Africa in the same month and inaugurated the Sri Sathya Sai Arts

and Science College for Women in Anantapur. It was now July 1968. Palpably, Swami’s schedule was busy, but, in spite of so many engagements and emergence of new projects, Swami never deprived the readers of Sanathana Sarathi their monthly share of ambrosia. As the Avatar’s mission in the present era was unfolding at break-neck pace, in the Sarathi Bhagavan was thrilling the hearts of the devotees with the sweet and syrupy story of His previous Incarnations, especially the Krishnavatar. The Bhagavatha Vahini, replete with the scintillating divine sport of Lord Krishna, was as liberating as it was enthralling. And even though the Sri Sathya Sai Arts and Science College for Men was opened in Brindavan, Bangalore in June 1969 and thousands gathered for the third All India Conference of Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations in the November of the same year,

Swami’s ‘Stream of the Lord’s Story’ continued ceaselessly. The complete series which was later compiled into a book of 338 pages, says, Prof. Kasturi, “is not just a book; it is a tonic, a balm, a pilgrimage, a hallelujah, a clarion call, a beacon light.” The Language of Love in Many Tongues What started as a tiny brook had now become a roaring river, with many tributaries too! Many states in India started their own vernacular versions of the magazine – Hindi, Marathi, Oriya, Tamil, Malayalam, Sindhi, Assamese, etc. On the cover page, the 32-page magazine always had a simple drawing of spiritual significance.

But this was until 1970 when during the Shivarathi festival of that year, Swami drew with a pen of the back of a used envelope, a figure with the holy symbols of the five-major religions of the world, with the Lotus Pillar in the centre, indicating the spiritual aspirant climbing through any one of these paths and achieving success. Since then, this became the ‘poster symbol’ illustrating the universality of Swami’s message and disseminating the mantra - “There is only one religion – the religion of love” from the front covers of Sanathana Sarathi. The Sarathi grew at a gigantic pace in early 70s with new wings added to it from every state of India . This was heartening, but at the same time there was a hidden danger too. Because of its sudden expansion with editions in different dialects located in distant destinations, there was a certain element of

disharmony creeping in between various vernacular versions. Bhagavan nipped this incongruity in the bud in His benedictory message to all members of the organization assembled for the Fourth All India Conference of Sai Organizations in November 1971, when He said, “In almost all the languages of India and in English, we have a number of periodicals, under different names - Shanthi, Prashanthi, Sudha, Sanathana Saarathi, etc. - causing confusion and complications. So, we shall have only a single monthly magazine in each language called everywhere, Sanathana Sarathi. Source : http://www.saiomni.homestead.com/Devotion/HistoryofSanathanaSarathi.html

Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Answers