IndiaDivine.org

Vedas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Namaste Shyam, I used to go to the website called sacred texts (type this in Google) for free reading or downloads of the Vedas and Upanishads. Somehow nowadays, the site doesn't seem to work well when I tried clicking on the links. In the past I printed out some pages but forgot to put them in folders. Someone borrowed them to read and messed up all the pages and texts. You can imagine my frustration..... When I came across hardcopies of the Vedas on Rudra Centre's website, I decided to buy them. They are truly good with both English, Sanskrit wording and notes. Have a look at the Vedas :

Rigveda Samhita - 4 volume set

The Rigveda is the result of the efforts of 414 Rishis (saints). All these Rishis contributed their Mantras on wide range of topics, popularly knows as Devatas. All the other Vedas are based upon it. It is built around a science of sound which comprehends the meaning and power of each letter. Most aspects of Vedic science like the practice of yoga, meditation, mantra and Ayurveda can be found in the Rig Veda and still use many terms that come from it.The book contains Sanskrit text with English translation and notes for easy reading.

The Samaveda

The Samaveda is the word of God revealed in the beginning of creation for the moral, spiritual, economic and uplift of humanity. The Samveda contains hymns chanted by Udgatri priests during the performance of important sacrifices connected with the preparation of Soma juice. These hymns are invocation addressed to Soma, Agni and Indra.

Yajurveda Samhita

Yajurveda is a collection of Yajusas. The purpose of the ritual is to put together and recreate within ourselves the Cosmic Man or Indra. The ritual is to recreate the universe within our own psyche and thereby unite the individual with the universal. Its series of sacrifices culminate in the Atmayajna or the self-sacrifice wherein the ego is offered up to the Divine.

Atharvaveda Samhita - 3 volume set

The Atharva Veda is the last of the Vedas. It gives a better idea of the life of common people in Vedic times. It has popular magic spells which are outside of the strictly ritual-knowledge orientation of the other Vedas. Rudra-Shiva assumes a more visible role in this Veda.

/dispCategory.php?catId=5 & spcKewd=Vedas%20and%20Puranas

, Shyam Prasad S <shyam_pras wrote:>> Dear Narasimha,> > I know its like trying to find something amidst an ocean of knowledge! However> thought I will run this past you.> > Which is a good modern English translation(or transliteration with> meaning)book(s) to read the :> > 1. Vedas> > 2. Upanishads and> > 3. Srimad Bhagavatam.> > I did try and google and searched amazon. There seems to be many authors on> this subject ( authors who have translated and tranliterated)> > Need some help here !!> > Regards> Shyam>