IndiaDivine.org

THE KARMA YOGI !!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

" All of you know him as Colonel Joga Rao, but I know him as Karma Yogi Joga Rao! " These were the words with which Swami decorated Col. Joga Rao after presenting him ceremonial gold bracelets and a silver salver.

An eminent and vastly experienced engineer, Col. Joga Rao, was also instrumental in the establishment of the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust.

He enjoyed a successful tenure as Chief Engineer of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) & also served in the armed forces where he rose to the rank of Colonel. Later he started a Civil Engineering and Consultancy Company.

The divine call came in 1969 when Bhagavan visited the house of Sri Ramaswamy, Col. Joga Rao's neighbor who was associated with service activities in Brindavan, Bangalore. Joga Rao, though a devotee of Lord Krishna from his childhood, had his reservations about men in ochre robes!

So, although his wife and he received an invitation to Sri Ramaswamy's house to have Darshan of Bhagavan he was reluctant to go. He had already been annoyed when a few days prior to this, he found a photo of Bhagavan Baba in the altar of his house, which his wife had received from Smt. Ramaswamy. But, his wife persisted and so he went there.

Bhagavan spoke very lovingly to him and invited him to Brindavan. Baba's gentle and warm demeanor touched Joga Rao's heart and he was drawn to Brindavan soon after that.

During the conversation, SWAMI casually mentioned to Joga Rao to associate himself with the construction work of the college building at Anantapur (AP). The passionate engineering professional in Joga Rao responded positively and that marked the beginning of a new chapter in his life.

Col. Joga Rao once said to Swami, " I do not know how to do meditation or sing bhajans or do penance, but I can only do selfless service. "

Swami promptly told him, " That is why you are so dear to me; whereas everyone chants 'Sai Ram' 'Sai Ram', I call 'Joga Rao', 'Joga Rao' so often. "

It was this selfless service and uncompromising zeal for excellence in work that earned him the confidence of Bhagavan. With Swami's guidance, he set about improving the amenities for devotees in Prasanti Nilayam and Brindavan. He plunged with enthusiasm into the task of planning and constructing the campuses of the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning at Prasanti Nilayam, Anantapur and Whitefield.

At the age of 85, Joga Rao dedicated himself to fulfilling Bhagavan's declaration made during His 70th birthday discourse in November 1990 that in 1 year's time a massive hospital would be constructed near Prasanthi Nilayam that would bring top notch medical care to the poorest of the poor.

Dr. Safaya, Director of the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences since its inception, recalls:

" I remember when in April 1991, he showed me the stretch of land, which the Trust had acquired for building the hospital and its campus, I felt utterly frustrated because before me was a completely desolate, uneven and even a bit hilly, semi-arid land of nearly100 acres. To clear this area and to flatten it would take several years! We had very little time and Bhagavan had declared that the Hospital would be built and be functional by 22nd November 1991!!!

I had a strong urge to run away and go back to Delhi. It was Col. Joga Rao, who convinced me that all would be done on schedule and he did it. Bang on schedule. " (See photos)

http://media.radiosai.org/journals/vol_03/10OCT01/jogarao.htm

PS: You can also do the HIGHLY NOBLE HOSPITAL SEVA at SWAMI's SUPER SPECIALITY HOSPITAL at WHITEFIELD, BANGALORE, either for 6 consecutive days or 3 from Mon. to Sat...Volunteers come here through out the year. In addition to food & stay at the premises, you would get SWAMI's abundant blessings. Please call any of the following people for details & registration: You can also write to us for any queries.

· V.N.VAIDYANATHAN – 98860-76070

· MANI KRISHNAMURTHY – 99457-03010

· C.P.PRASHANTH – 94481-19693

· T.R.SRIKANTA – 98454-07300

· MADHAVA SWAMI – 98456-67953

· MS VIMALA NAIR – 080-26711906 (LADIES ONLY)

· MS BASANTI DAS – 99453-12853 (LADIES ONLY)

Ø Hospital no: 080-28411500 – extn: 487 (RAMA DOSS / MURTHY)