IndiaDivine.org

Why these post graduates are hawking for living!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Why these post graduates are hawking for living!!

Despite fighting their disabilities to achieve the highest level in academics, several physically challenged persons, struggling to get dignified jobs, are forced to settle for less, some even hawking wares on trains. 

This is really shame for us who call ourselves modern and developing...

Physically challenged students, fighting all odds to get into professional courses, either have to leave their studies midway or remain jobless even after passing out with good grades, due to few job provisions for them. In spite of being postgraduates, many visually impaired youths are forced to hawk goods on trains or railway platforms, while other professionally qualified disabled are left to fend for themselves.

Mumbai University rejected me for a job

Nitin Kedare, 28, another blind student of Mumbai University, was shocked when he was rejected for a telephone operator's job at the university. " I can understand the plight of the disabled who take up hawking or begging. Last year, Mumbai University had a vacancy for the post of telephone operator. I applied, thinking that I would be able to support my studies. But an official rejected me because I am blind. If I get such treatment at the university, what can I expect from others? " said Kedare, who is pursuing an M. Phil degree at the university.

I cannot take money from my parents

Jogeshwari resident Rajendra Chavan and Ambarnath resident Suresh Pawar, 27, both hundred per cent blind, have completed their MA, BEd and have even cleared the NET-SET for lecturer jobs (conducted by the University Grants Commission). Even then, they are jobless. They now sell air pillows, pens, chain locks, screwdrivers etc on trains, and earn barely Rs 50 a day. " I never accepted that I lacked something. I wanted to grow in life, despite my disability. So, I studied hard, thinking I would be financially independent one day. Even after looking for a job for years, I remained unemployed. At my age, I cannot take money from my parents. So, I became a hawker. This is at least better than begging, " Pawar sighs.

No jobs for the blind, so I am a hawker Gajendra Pagare, 30 from Badlapur is also a hawker on Mumbai locals. " I was not born blind. I became blind at four, due to wrong medication. After completing my MA, I applied for several jobs for the post of clerks or telephone operators. I also tried my luck at many colleges for an Assistant Lecturer's job, but no one even bothered to reply. I learnt computers, yet nothing changed. I went into depression for a few years and almost lost hope. The three per cent quota for the disabled in government jobs is in name only. Now, I have become a hawker, forgetting all my degrees. People employ partially blind candidates, but the 100 per cent blind never hear from employers. "

College said study would    be a waste of time, money

Twenty-four-year-old Sagar Patil from Dadar, who is 100 per cent deaf and mute, was refused admission to the BE course at VJTI. Sagar's father Pravin, who always encouraged him to study in a mainstream college and lead a normal life, was disillusioned. " I took Sagar to watch movies, never treated him differently. He stood second in the handicapped category merit list, scoring 84 per cent in SSC. He wanted to pursue electronics engineering, and so I took him to VJTI where he completed his diploma, scoring 86 per cent. He was determined to study for a BE degree, but the list closed at 91 per cent. Sagar was denied admission even as a special case. The college authorities told us that making him study further would be a waste of time and money, " Pravin said. A determined Sagar then was admitted at Father Conceicao Rodrigues College of Engineering, Bandra and completed his BE with distinction. However, many companies rejected him for his disability. " Sagar applied to many companies during campus placement, but was rejected on account of his hearing aid. He lost hope, but later decided to fight back by applying to other companies, " said Pravin.

I studied so hard...I will not give up easily

Anil Sable, a blind student of Mumbai University, has not lost hope. He continues to look for a lecturer's job. " I have seen disabled people becoming beggars or hawkers, but I will keep trying. I'm fighting the system and am sure I'll get a job. I cleared my NET-SET exam in 2006 in the first attempt and had applied to many colleges under the blind quota, but twice the posts were given to people with perfect eyesight. Recently, I applied to Siddharth College and am awaiting their reply. I completed my studies with great difficulty. I will not give up easily, " said Sable, who is currently doing his PhD in Marathi Literature from Mumbai University.

-- " O Shirdi Sai Nath, Give me the guidance to know when to hold on and when to let go and the Grace to make right decision with dignity "

" The Future Belongs To Those Who Believe In The Beauty Of Their Dreams " Om Sai Ram~ anil - chandrot ~