IndiaDivine.org

Tulsi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Manish,

To my knowledge the story eminates from Siva purana.

Tripurasura is a great demon and devotee of Bramha.

He performs penance on Bramha and pleased with him Bramha asks him boons. Since devas and demons are cousins and don't like each other, They hate and fight themselves.

So naturally with an ulterior motive to destroy Devas, he seeks a boon which is extraordinary.

He asks" Give me three flying cities. I can be killed only by a person who is a great tapasvi (Meditator) who has the power of joining the three flying cities. only when these cities are together I can be killed"

Bramha gives the boon.

Ultimately, Siva who has all these qualities comes to the war with Tripurasura. Earth is his chariot, Sun and Moon are its wheels, Bramha himself is his charioteer, He use Narayana as arrow and strikes Tripurasura. Although all the conditions are met. He will not be killed. The reason is, His wife is a great chaste woman. Her good deeds protects the demon. So, Vishnu goes to her in the disguise of her husband. For a moment she trusts him, by which time Siva kills Tripurasura. Having realized the folly of Vishnu, she curse him, You fooled a chaste woman. You will be born as a stone in the earthly world. Vishnu therefore is born as Venkateswara. Of Tirupathi Pleased with her, Vishnu tells her that here onwards; you will be called as Vishnu Tulsi and adored by people as a sacred plant.

Any corrections /suggestions are welcome

With Love,

ChandruManish Solanki <shree_manish wrote:

NamasteTulsi is considered a holy plant and is found in many hindu homes, why Tulsi plant is so sacred? What is itsimportance and significance? Also some trees are alsoconsidered holy? Why?thanks in advance.ManishSwami Vivekananda: They only live, who live forothers, the rest are more dead than alive. _________ ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.Sri Ramakrishnaya NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk

• 5 years later...

Namaste Falguna,

Yes you can order a tulasi mala from Rudra Centre and wear it just like that.

All holy items are blessed by priests before they are sent out. Its ok to wear

before you are proficient in puja with tulasi.

Best wishes.

, falguna108 <no_reply

wrote:

>

> Namaste Narasimhaye Sir,

>

> Thanks for your inputs. I had another question - can I order one of the tulasi

malas from RC and start to wear it just like that - before I can become

proficient in the puja with tulsi.

>

> Please guide.

>

> Thanks

> Falguna

>