Guest guest

KANSAI LIGHT FOR OCTOBER 2009 ISSUE NO.46----

KANSAI LIGHT , OCTOBER 2009. ISSUE NO 45

News letter of Sri Sathya Sai Organization Japan

address: I.S.S, 2nd Fl, 1-3, Kumochi 5-Chome, Chuo Ku Kobe

Tel: 078-222-1885, Email: rgcjp

--------

PLEASE PRINT COPY FOR YOUR EASY REFERENCE

THIS PAGE HAS LOTS OF GRAPHICS.ALLOW TIME FOR IMMAGES TO APPEAR.

--------

----------------

As written at PRASANTHI NILAYAM Today

Without the sanction of the Lord, man cannot achieve anything in the world.

The Divine is the basis for everything.

Man, however, is filled with conceit that he is the one who is doing everything.

This pride is the cause of his ruin. It is the cause of his frustration and disappointment.

Man today is basing his life on nature and is hence forgetting God.

This is a grievous mistake.

You must place your faith in God, the Creator of the universe,

and then enjoy what nature provides.

Faith in God is the primary requisite for man.

- Baba

---------

MUSINGS ON AVATARS PART 3 (Continued from the previous issue)

By Prof. G. Venkataraman

Dear Readers, for 40 previous issues – from October 2004 to February 2008 - we brought you a spiritual feast in the form of the "Gita for Children" in a serialized form. (To find all the issues of this series in one place, click here). Prior to that, we had started our first series entitled "Shirdi Sai – Parthi Sai" which is continuing till date. The "Gita for Children" series was taken from the book " Krishna - Arjuna Dialogue" authored by Prof. Venkataraman. As we concluded the final segment of this book in February 2008 issue, from March 2008, we started a new series on "Avatars" or Divine Incarnations. The articles in this series are actually

adaptations of talks delivered recently on Radio Sai by Prof. G. Venkataraman, and are based on the book "Message of the Lord" authored by him a few years earlier. We hope H2H readers will relish the spiritual insights this series offers.

Previous Articles In The Same Series

Part - 01

Part - 02

The Story of Rama (continued)

Loving Sai Ram and greetings from Prashanti Nilayam. We resume the story of the Rama Avatar. If you recall, last time, I brought you up to the point where Hanuman, when asked to search for Sita’s whereabouts, makes a big leap across the oceans to Lanka. Let us pick up the story from there.

Hanuman Reassures Sita

Once he landed in Lanka, Hanuman reverted to his normal small size and, after a lengthy search, located Sita who was held captive in a garden named Asokavanam. Hiding on a tree, he was contemplating his next move when he saw Ravana accompanied by his entourage approaching Sita and making advances to her. Spurning the demon king's overtures, Sita plucked a blade of grass and placing it between herself and Ravana said:

"You fool, go back to your own wives and covet not that of another. With the power of my chastity, I could reduce you to ashes in a trice, but I shall refrain from doing so because the credit for destroying you should really go to my Husband, Lord Rama.. You dare not cross the barrier represented by this blade of grass. Go back where you came from."

Ravana retreated, but not before warning Sita that she had just two more months to think it all over, and if after that she still refused to change her mind, well then she would end up as a meal for him!

Mother Sita in captivity

Ravana warns Sita to conform to his wishes

Sita was now in a turmoil. How long should she wait for Rama? Would He ever come? Had He forgotten her? Tormented by doubts of all sorts, Sita thought that the best course of action for her was to end her life by hanging. And even as she started making preparations for committing suicide, Hanuman, a silent witness thus far, decided that he must now intervene, and did so by gently singing the story and the glory of Rama. And when he had finished, he jumped from the branch to the ground with chants of "Jai Sri Ram, Jai Sita Ram" and prostrated before Sita.

Mother Sita bestows a jewel on Hanuman as proof of their meeting

Sita was perplexed - a monkey chanting the story of Rama? Was that possible? Was it another demonic trick like the golden deer? Is it Ravana himself in disguise trying another ploy? Torn with doubts she started cross examining Maruti (another name of Hanuman) and finally became convinced that he was indeed a messenger sent by Rama. In fact, Rama had quite thoughtfully sent through Hanuman a ring of His so that Sita would have no difficulty in identifying Him and accepting His credentials. (On one Ramanavami day or the birth anniversary of Rama, Swami who was then in Kodaikanal produced this ring to show it to the boys!)

Once Sita saw Rama's ring, all her doubts vanished and the bottled up emotions poured out in a torrent - all of which Hanuman gave a patient hearing. The question now was: "What next?" Hanuman offered to carry Sita on his back, hearing which Sita forgetting her worries laughed. "You are such a tiny fellow," she said, "How can you carry me?Mother," replied Hanuman, "I can assume a gigantic form if I wish to," and so saying he grew to enormous proportions.

Absolutely stunned, Sita agreed that Hanuman could indeed carry her and jump across the ocean but now she had a new point: "If I were to escape like this, it would be no credit to my Lord. The proper thing is for Him to come, kill Ravana and rescue me. Right now you should return and convey the news regarding my whereabouts." With this, Hanuman took leave of Sita, but not before accepting from her a jewel of hers as proof of having actually met her.

Hanuman Lights Up Lanka

Hanuman escapes and sets fire to Lanka

Mission accomplished, Hanuman was all set to return but a new thought occurred to him: "Now that I am here, why not probe the enemy's strength? That information could prove useful later." With this in mind he started destroying the beautiful garden in which Sita was being held. In the stir that followed, Hanuman allowed himself to be captured, and in this manner he found himself a prisoner tied hand and foot, being produced before Ravana in the latter's court. Once face to face with Ravana, Hanuman advised the demon king to follow the path of righteousness or Dharma and return Sita to Rama.

But, charged as he was with lust, Ravana was in no mood for sane advice; furious, he ordered that the monkey be killed. At this stage, Vibhishana, the younger brother of Ravana, intervened to say that in spite of all the havoc caused by him, Hanuman was an envoy and the canons of Dharma required that envoys should not be killed; they could however be punished. Accepting the suggestion, Ravana ordered that bandages be tied to the tail of Hanuman and then set on fire.

Hanuman allowed the fire to be lit. Breaking loose then, he leapt from building to building setting them all on fire. Soaring high up, he then saw with a smile that the whole of Lanka was burning. Normally when the body comes into contact with fire it gets burnt, but nothing happened to Hanuman because Agni, the deity associated with fire, withheld his burning power as far as Hanuman was concerned.

Rama Lovingly Receives His Servant

The Lord and His devotee embrace

After an event-free leap back to the mainland, Hanuman was able to report to Rama the success of his mission and also convey the message from Sita. Rama was overwhelmed. Stretching out His arms, He said, "O Hanuman there is so much I would like to give you, but at the moment all I can do is to embrace you. Come!" So saying He held Maruti in close embrace for a long time.

It is said that is how Hanuman himself became Divine. Incidentally, it is noteworthy that at the Hill View stadium in Prasanthi Nilayam where there are many statues - Jesus, Krishna, Buddha and so forth - the biggest statue is that of Hanuman; also, it is at the very top of the hill, a reminder to all of us to emulate this great servant of the Lord. The next item of business for Rama was the invasion of Lanka, for which purpose, Rama and Lakshmana, accompanied by Sugriva and his army of monkeys (Vanarasena) headed for the southern tip of the peninsula.

Ravana Ignores Wise Counsel

Meanwhile, back in Lanka, Ravana held a council of war in which the only sane voice to be heard was that of Vibhishana. While all others advised war, Vibhishana said: "My dear brother, please don't listen to the advice given by your ministers and others. It will harm you. They are your true enemies, and not Rama. You have no idea of Rama's might and capability. Prudence is the better part of valour. Quietly return Sita to Rama and make peace with Him. Then Lanka and all of us would survive. Otherwise we are all doomed."

This was hardly the kind of counsel that Ravana wanted to hear. Flying into a rage, he screamed: "Traitor! I am ashamed you are my brother. Indeed if you were not, I would have had you executed this very minute. You are lucky, and I shall restrain myself to merely banishing you. Now get out of my sight this very minute." For Vibhishana, this was no punishment but a great liberation. Delighted and relieved, he at once headed for Rama's camp, but the reception at the other end was far from what he would have liked! Taken by the guards to be a spy of Ravana, he was promptly apprehended; eventually after a lot of persuasion by him, he was brought before Rama. Many views were expressed about how Vibhishana should be dealt with and all except that of Hanuman were unfavourable; some even said that Vibhishana should straightaway be executed.

Vibhishana Saranagathi

Building the bridge of stones, chanting His name

This scene known as VibhishanaSaranagathi (Vibhishana's surrender) is one of the glorious episodes in the story of Rama, revealing as it does the towering magnanimity of the Lord. After listening to the diverse viewpoints, Rama smiles and says:

"I have heard all of you. I am aware that you all mean well. Now please listen to what I have to say. Vibhishana has surrendered to Me and it is My duty to offer him protection under all circumstances. It does not matter if he has feigned surrender; the very fact he said: 'I have surrendered to You', is enough for Me.

"He need not have come here physically; even if he had surrendered wherever he was, I would still be obliged to protect him. Indeed, even a mere thought of surrender on his part would put Me under obligation - there is no need to express the surrender in words."

Is it any wonder then that the Lord is described as Saranagathavatksala (One who loves those who surrender)? Thus, it was that Vibhishana was admitted to Rama's camp as a friend.

The Vibhishana affair having been settled, the question arose regarding how to cross the ocean. Clearly everyone could not leap across like Hanuman and some other solution was needed. Eventually it was decided to build a causeway by piling boulders and rocks. Everyone pitched in with great gusto, including a tiny squirrel, which, with great effort, rolled a small pebble to the site and pushed it into the general pile. Rama who was watching was deeply touched and in a loving gesture stroked its back - and that is how the squirrel won its stripes! As Swami repeatedly emphasises, the Lord never cares for quantity; all He is interested in is the quality.

Another touching causeway story is that Hanuman was in the process of lifting a hillock when the announcement was made that the causeway had been completed and that no more stones would be required. Hanuman then promptly placed the hillock down whereupon the hill burst into tears because it could not be of service to Rama. The Lord consoled the hill by saying, "Don't worry. In the next Yuga, I shall use you in an important mission and you will thereafter be remembered for ever." Indeed, in the DwaparaYuga, this very same hill achieved fame as Govardhanagiri lifted by Krishna to protect people from a torrential downpour (that story comes soon).

The Invasion of Lanka Begins

Once the causeway was completed, Rama and party crossed over to Lanka in a trice. Lanka, which Ravana always boasted was impenetrable, had now been actually invaded! At first, Ravana treated the matter lightly and sent his junior warriors to deal with the invaders. None of them returned and soon Ravana found that he was running out of soldiers as well as chiefs. The senior warriors and ministers were then pressed into battle, but they too were promptly annihilated. Ravana was getting increasingly worried and decided that his brother, the mighty Kumbhakarna, had now to be fielded to clinch the battle.

Sri Rama's army crosses the bridge

Ravana falls to Rama's arrows

But the great Kumbhakarna was, like always, in deep slumber, and it required a Herculean effort to first wake him up, and then get him worked up for battle. Eventually the mighty one did go to war, and as expected wrought much havoc, but in the end he fell to Rama's arrows. When the news of Kumbhakarna's death reached Ravana, he could not believe his ears. Was there a person alive who could kill his mighty brother? Ravana was now greatly worried and there was no alternative, but to send his favourite son, the invincible Indrajit. Alas, Indrajit too fell and finally Ravana was all alone. At last, it was his turn to face Rama and this was in a sense what the Lord had incarnated for. A fierce battle ensued and finally, Ravana was killed.

Rama then advised Vibhishana the only surviving brother of Ravana to perform all the due last rites. He said, "When he was alive, he was your enemy. He is now dead and you must remember more than anything else that he was your brother. And your duty requires that you do what is due to the dead." Again that supreme magnanimity that only the Lord can show!

Sita’s Fiery Test

Ravana having been exterminated, Sita was released from captivity and brought to Rama. Instead of the thrilling and joyful reunion that all were looking forward to, all that Sita received was a cold reception from Rama. Curtly Rama told Sita: "I belong to a royal family, and your abduction was a slur cast on our noble family. I have now avenged that insult. As for you, you have lived for nearly a year in the territory of another man. I therefore cannot take you back as My wife. You may go wherever you wish."

Sita felt as if she had been struck by a thunderbolt. Was it for this that she was holding on to dear life in the face of atrocious behaviour by Ravana? Deeply hurt, she ordered Lakshmana to light a fire and when that was done she said: "It is unfortunate that even my Husband is not convinced about my purity. Under the circumstances, I see no reason to continue living." So saying, she entered the fire. But lo and behold, such was her purity that the fire refused to burn her and she emerged unscathed, much to the joy of all present, Rama included. Rama then remarked, "Not for a moment did I suspect Sita. I only wanted the world to know about her purity, which is why I had to subject her to this ordeal by fire.."

Mother SIta's trial by fire

The long awaited return to Ayodhya

The mission to Lanka having been successfully concluded, Rama now became anxious to return to Bharath. Vibhishana, the newly-crowned King of Lanka, placed at Rama's disposal the flying chariot that earlier belonged to Ravana. The entire party boarded the chariot and flew back to the mainland. On the way, Rama and Sita saw familiar places from the air and exchanged fond memories. Back in Bharath, the party landed at the Ashram of Sage Bharadwaja and were given a fitting welcome. Ever conscious of dear Bharatha pining in Nandigram for Rama's return, the Lord thoughtfully sent Hanuman as an advance messenger to alert Bharatha that Rama and party would soon be there. Hanuman arriving at Nandigram discovered that Bharatha was getting rather anxious, since Rama was almost overdue. Hanuman quickly conveyed the good tidings, much to the relief of Bharatha. Soon the long-awaited reunion between

Bharatha and Rama took place, and the entire party returned to Ayodhya for a tumultuous welcome by the citizens.

Rama Crowned Triumphant

Lord Rama now enthroned in all His Glory!

Shortly after this, on an auspicious day selected by Sage Vasishta, Rama was finally crowned the Emperor, a ceremony that had to wait fourteen years because the Lord had a play to stage. As Emperor, Rama reigned for a very long period. Rama's reign was synonymous with the reign of Dharma for Rama was none other than Dharma personified. There was unprecedented joy, happiness and prosperity in the kingdom, and even to this day people in India use the word Ramarajya to describe a regime where there is righteousness, perfect harmony and joy.

Rama was God, but He lived like man and showed man how he should really live. Never for a moment did Rama reveal His Divinity, nor did He make use of His Divine powers. There would no doubt be a time and place for that in later Avatars, but not in this one.

The above is but a brief narrative of the story of Rama. For a more detailed account, see Swami's Rama Katha Rasa Vahini and Summer Showers in Brindavan, 1996. As has been said, these are autobiographical accounts!

The Magnificent Story of the Krishna Avatar

The Krishna Avatar is a glorious finale to the sequence of incarnations made necessary (in part) by the indiscretions of Jayan and Vijayan. In the DwaparaYuga, these gatekeepers of the Lord were born as the demon cousins Sishupala and Dantavakra respectively, and when the time was ripe for their destruction, the Lord as usual descended down to earth.

Once again He came in a fully human form and with His Divinity in its entirety i.e., as a Poorna Avatar. Although the ostensible purpose of the incarnation was the extermination of the two Asuras, the Blessed Lord had a grander objective. Not only did Krishna reveal Himself as God personified, but He also told man that he (i.e., man) too was God and that in fact, man should endeavour to realise in full measure his Divine nature. As Swami says:

“The Gita is the real purpose for which the Avatar of Krishna was taken.â€

The Bhagavad Gita - the celestial song for all times

Skirting the banks of the River Yamuna (Jamuna these days), was the kingdom of Mathura. A famous king named Yadu once ruled the land, and from him descended many tribes, an important one being the Yadavas. One of the Yadava rulers of Mathura was Aahakura who had two sons named Ugrasena and Devaka. Ugrasena's eldest son was Kamsa while Devaka's youngest daughter was Devaki. As he had no sister of his own, Kamsa was very fond of his cousin Devaki. Apart from this streak of affection, Kamsa was otherwise very cruel.

Kamsa Tries to Kill the Infant Krishna

When Devaki came of age, she was duly married with pomp and fanfare to a Yadava named Vasudeva (who belonged to the sub-clan Vrishni). At the conclusion of the wedding ceremonies, an elaborate procession had been arranged to take the newly-married bride to her groom's house. Kamsa himself drove the gaily decorated chariot carrying Vasudeva and Devaki. All of a sudden, an ethereal voice sounded in the sky which said: "Kamsa, your days are numbered. This woman whom you are taking to her husband's place is going to be responsible for your death because her eighth-born son will kill you".

The ethereal voice alerts Kamsa about his ominous destiny

Kamsa was stunned to hear his death warrant being pronounced from heaven. Instantly his affection for Devaki evaporated, and dragging her down by her tresses, he drew his sword to cut her head off. Deeply agitated, Vasudeva fell on his knees and begged Kamsa: "O Kamsa, you belong to a noble race. How is it that your affection for Devaki has vanished in a flash? Devaki is not going to kill you; only her eighth son is supposed to. I promise to surrender to you all her children as soon as they are born. Please do not kill her." Kamsa accepted Vasudeva's offer and spared Devaki her life, but placed her and her husband under house arrest; thus what was to be their home became instead a fortified prison.

In due course, Devaki delivered a child and true to his promise, Vasudeva, though full of anguish, handed the infant over to Kamsa. For a moment, Kamsa was deeply touched and was about to spare the child (as his death was due to come only from the eighth-born) when Sage Narada appeared on the scene. To Kamsa he said: "Kamsa, how could you be so naive? True, the heavenly voice said that you would meet your end from the eighth child. But what does eighth mean? If you count backwards from the number eight, then number one becomes the eighth! If you count backwards from number seven, then number two becomes the eighth and so on. Don't be complacent and take chances!"

Kamsa is warned of the Lord's abilty to outwit him

Once the seeds of doubt were sown, Kamsa became his usual cruel self. Snatching the baby from Vasudeva's hand, he mercilessly smashed it to the ground. Devaki and Vasudeva both felt shattered, but were absolutely helpless. The senseless destruction of the new-born continued and in due course the count rose to six. Sensing that the time had come for Him to descend to earth, Lord Narayana summoned His Mayashakti and said: "Devi, Adisehsa, who is My Amsa (an aspect of Me) has just entered the womb of Devaki as her seventh child. Now Vasudeva has another wife named Rohini. She lives in Gokulam with her brother Nanda, a small chieftain there. Remove the child now in Devaki's womb and place it in the womb of Rohini.

The child born to Rohini would, because of his beauty be named Rama and called Balarama on account of his strength. Later, when it is realised that his birth was preceded by a womb-to-womb transfer, people would call him Sankarshana. Having completed the womb-to-womb transfer, you shall yourself enter the womb of Nanda's wife, Yasoda and be born to her as her daughter. Around the same time, I shall be born as the eighth son of Devaki. As soon as I take birth, I shall arrange for us to switch places, and you will end up near Devaki and I near Yasoda. Kamsa will try to kill you and you know what you should do then.." The wheel had been set in motion for the advent of the Krishna Avatar.

With six children gone, Kamsa was getting more and more jittery. Meanwhile, news reached him that Devaki had conceived for the seventh time and impatiently he waited for the child to be born so that he could kill it. But that was not to be and to his dismay he heard that amazingly and in a most mysterious manner, Devaki's womb had suddenly become empty! Kamsa suspected a trick but there was precious little he could do. Meanwhile, Devaki's seventh child grew safely in the womb of Rohini.

And then Devaki conceived for the eighth time. Kamsa's nervousness now knew no bounds and impatiently he waited for the delivery. Meanwhile, the prison fortifications were intensified. Finally, in the early hours of the morning of an auspicious day, Devaki delivered a beautiful male child - Krishna had arrived! A short while before that Rohini too delivered a baby boy. While Rohini's son was fair, Devaki's was dark.

Lord Krishna Takes Birth

Babies cry when they are born, but Krishna was born smiling. Immediately after birth, Krishna revealed to Devaki and Vasudeva His form as Narayana, complete with four arms, holding the conch, the Chakra and other paraphernalia, the jewel Kausthuba gleaming around His neck and the mark Srivatsa on His chest. To the one fortunate to be His mother, He said: "Devaki, twice before in your earlier births, I have been born as your Son. This is the last time. At the end of this birth you will gain Liberation." Turning to Vasudeva, He said: "Vasudeva, you will carry My infant form in a basket to Gokulam to the house of Nanda. There you will find a newly-born baby girl by the side of Yasoda. Place Me near Yasoda and bring the baby girl back with you to this prison cell. Do precisely as I say. Have no fear, for now I am here!" So saying, the Lord reverted to His baby

form.

Adisesha protects baby Krishna on His journey to Gokulam - the inscrutable play of the lord

Suddenly, miracles began to happen one after another. Firstly, the shackles keeping Vasudeva chained became loose of their own accord. Next a padded-basket appeared from nowhere and the massive prison doors silently swung open. Placing the baby in the basket, Vasudeva cautiously peeped outside but to his amazement, all the guards were deep in slumber! Carrying the basket on his head, Vasudeva carefully stepped out and swiftly moved towards the village of Gokulam. Meanwhile a fearsome storm broke out, perhaps with the intention of making everyone remain indoors and not be a privy to the secret mission ordered by the Lord. But what about the Lord Himself? Would He not get wet? No worry, for Adisesha silently came behind with his huge hood spread out to offer protection from both the wind and the rain (Vasudeva of course knew nothing about this!) En route, Vasudeva had to cross the Yamuna

River but due to the heavy rain, the river was in spate; however, for him the river miraculously gave way.

Vasudeva Exchanges the Divine Babies

Soon Vasudeva reached Gokulam with the Divine "load" on his head and entered Nanda's house where both Nanda and his wife Yasoda were deep in slumber. Next to Yasoda was a tiny girl, obviously just given birth to, but Yasoda was totally unaware of the event. Vasudeva quietly placed his son by the side of Yasoda, lifted the baby girl and, after putting her in the basket slowly retraced his steps to the prison. Once he reached there and placed the baby girl next to Devaki, the doors automatically snapped shut and the shackles came back on him just as before.

The baby girl now began to cry, as all new-borns do and hearing the cry, the prison guards woke up. They were aghast to discover that they had been sleeping all along in clear violation of Kamsa's strict orders and springing into action, hastened to the chamber where Devaki and her husband were being held captive. Seeing a new born baby, they then rushed to inform Kamsa of the event. Anxious to destroy his enemy, Kamsa hurried to the prison but when he arrived, he was astonished to see a girl rather than the boy which the ethereal voice had warned him to expect. Puzzled he was, but unwilling to take any chances, he promptly seized the girl and lifted her with a view to smash her. But lo and behold, the baby slipped out of his hands, soared into the sky, assumed the gigantic form of Devi and then said: "Kamsa, you fool, I am not the one who is to kill you. He, who will be your nemesis, is

already born and is elsewhere. There is no escape for you, no matter how much you try"; so saying, the form vanished. Kamsa stood petrified, and slowly it began to sink into him that his enemy had not only outwitted him but was secure elsewhere.

"There is no escape for you, no matter how much you try" - Mayadevi to Kamsa

Yashoda Becomes Krishna’s ‘Mother’

While this great drama was going on in the prison chambers, Nanda and Yasoda woke up. And when Yasoda saw the worlds most beautiful and charming baby, her joy knew no bounds. "What a wonderful gift the Lord has given me", she thought; little did she know that the "gift" was none other than the Lord Himself! The news that a son had been born to Nanda spread like wild fire and everyone in the village of Gokulam rejoiced.

Meanwhile, Kamsa continued to worry, wondering whatever happened to the son who was supposed to be born after the eighth conception of Devaki. He had been warned that his nemesis was growing up elsewhere; now where would that be? Panicking, he decided that he would forthwith kill all new-borns in his kingdom and for implementing this vile and demonic plan, he sought the help of a number of demons.

What happened next? That story next time! Till then all the best, and may God be with you always! Jai Sai Ram.

(To be Continued...)

Previous Articles In The Same Series

Part - 01

Part - 02

– Heart2Heart Team

--------

THE SOURCE OF ALL PROSPERITY

God is "Raso vai sah", Baba has often said, which means that God is the Divine Ambrosia. He is sweet, sustaining and strength-giving. The different forms of the Divine like Rama, Krishna or Jesus are but differently designed cups through which the ambrosia that is God can be imbibed, experienced and enjoyed. And among the various forms of the Divine, the elephant-headed Lord, Ganesha, is perhaps the most bewitching, the most charming and the most celebrated. Since ancient times, Ganesha has been worshipped as the Lord of all knowledge, intelligence and wisdom in India and many other parts of the world.

The Ganesha Principle

Elaborating on the Ganesha principle on the occasion of Ganesha Chaturthi (the Day celebrating Lord Ganesha’s advent) which fell on the 28th Aug in 1998, Baba said,

“Ganapathi (or Ganesha) is the embodiment of all potencies. He is the abode of every kind of intelligence. He represents no commonplace principle. He is the presiding deity for all auspicious functions, who can make even the inauspicious occasions auspicious. He is the river of prosperity and intelligence. With His grace, any desire can be realised. He occupies the position of one who is the source of all prosperity.â€

Appellations of Lord Ganesha

Fascinatingly, Lord Ganesha, the God of auspicious beginnings, has a number of appellations and each one chooses a name of his/her liking to invoke Him. He is described as -

Ganapathi - The Leader of all celestial beings,

Vighneshvara - The Lord of every form of Aiswarya i.e. wealth,

Vighanharta - The Annihilator of all obstacles,

Vinayaka - The Supreme Master with none above Him,

Gajanana - The God with an elephant face,

Lambodar - The God who is pot bellied,

Mooshika Vahana - The Lord with the rat as His vehicle,

Ekdanta - The God who is one tusked,

Gajadhipati - The Lord of elephants, etc.

In October, 1997, elaborating on the principle of Lord Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi Day, Swami said,

“Ganesha is Aprameya, meaning He is transcendent and all-encompassing. Hence, He can be worshipped in any manner. Your prayers will certainly reach Him if you affix the stamp of ‘faith’ and the address it with ‘love’ to Him. Infact, Ganapathi dwells in every human being in the form of intellect and wisdom. There is no need to seek for Him in the outside world. Realise and act on the basis that the living Divinity is ever-present within you.â€

The Significance of His Enchanting FormThe extraordinary figure of Lord Ganesha has been a source of joy to many devotees since the time man started worshipping His beautiful form.

With a big belly, beautiful tusk, baby-elephant head, penetrating eyes, four arms, handsome ears, and all these harmoniously balanced, Lord Ganesha’s form is most enchanting and blissful. Baba has explained that the elephantine head signifies intelligence and leadership qualities. The elephant in the jungle is a symbol of might and magnitude and when there is no path in the jungle, it is the elephant that walks through and creates a path and shows the way. It is the same with everybody’s lives, Swami says - the elephant-headed Lord Ganesha shows the ideal path for all to tread.

The elephant has great patience and forbearance. It is not only highly intelligent but is also known for its fidelity and gratitude. It is prepared to sacrifice its life, but it can never tolerate its master's suffering. Intelligence without gratitude is valueless, Swami explains.

On devotees’ reservations concerning how the rat can be the vehicle for Lord Ganesha, Baba clarified that the rat which likes to move in darkness represents ignorance. Ganesha is regarded as the one who subdues ignorance and dispels darkness. He symbolizes the triumph of wisdom over ignorance and of egolessness over desires.

The Importance of the Sacred Offerings

It has been the practice in India since ancient times to offer Lord Ganesha steam-cooked delicacies like kudumulu and vundrallu, especially on Ganesh Chaturthi Day. Explaining their significance, Swami says,

“These steam-cooked offerings with no oil are unique and special. Til seeds, rice flour and jaggery are mixed, made into balls, boiled in steam and offered to Lord Vinayaka. You should enquire into the purpose of making such an offering. These steam-cooked offerings (modaka) are good for the eyes, they free us from all defects of the eye like spots and cataracts and are beneficial to people suffering from asthma and eosinophilia. A combination of jaggery and til seeds prevents all defects and diseases caused due to bile (vatha), wind (pitha) and phlegm (cough). The rice flour preparation helps in digestion too.

These offerings are meant to improve health and confer happiness on man. They are not to be treated as mere ritualistic practices. All that is related to God has a sacred inner meaning.â€

Lord Ganesha – The Primordial One

It is a time-honoured tradition to offer worship first to Ganesha before embarking on any undertaking or learning music, the fine arts or any branch of knowledge. The popular belief is that Lord Ganesha instills purity in body and fearlessness in mind and removes all the obstacles coming in the way of any endeavour. It is for this reason that the first bhajan is always dedicated to Ganesha in all Sai Bhajan sessions. Worship of Lord Ganesha confers success at two levels, Pravritti (outward) and Nivritti (inward), spiritual as well as worldly.

On Ganesh Chaturthi Day, 1997, Swami said,

“The adoration of Ganapathi is not of recent origin. Ganapathi is lauded at several places in the Rig Veda which clearly shows that Ganapathi is as ancient as the Vedas. In several places Ganapathi is mentioned both in the Vedas and the Upanishads (most ancient Indian scriptures). There are many prayers addressed to Ganapathi in the Narayanopanishad. There are prayers to him in the Thaithiriya Upanishad also. The Ganapathi Gayathri Mantra also figures in the Upanishads.â€

Ganapati Gayatri

Ekdantaya Vidmahe

Vakratundaya Dhimahi Tanno Dantih Prachodayat

“ I meditate on the single tusked lord, the Lord with His curved trunk. May He grant knowledge and inspire me.â€

“If you want to lead a life of happiness, free from troubles and difficulties, you have to pray to Ganapathi, the remover of all obstacles,†Swami says.

How Should We Pray to Lord Ganesha?

Swami answered this beautifully on Aug 25, 1998 , saying,

“We should not ask for petty things like jobs and other worldly matters. We should pray: ‘Let there be no obstacles in our path’. We should ask for Ganesha Himself. Once you have Ganapathi on your side, you will become the master of all.â€

Further Swami says,

“There is no need to go to any temple. Vighneswara dwells in each one of you as your Buddhi (intelligence) and Vijnaana (wisdom). When you make proper use of your inherent intelligence and wisdom, you will be successful in life.â€

Ganesh Chaturthi falls on the 7th of September this year – the sacred day to celebrate the advent of Lord Ganesha. Let’s remind ourselves of the holy ideals set by our Lord, Sai Ganesha, on this day and tread the path to His Lotus Feet as joyfully as a river merges with the ocean.

- H2H Team.

SATHYA SAI SPEAKS

Education is for an Exemplary Life

Parents Should be United

Parents should lead an exemplary life if they want their children to be good and come up in life. Parents should enroll their children in Bal Vikas classes and impart them sacred teachings. As the parents, so are the children. Therefore, parents should tread the right path and set an ideal so that their children can emulate them.

The fault lies in the parents if the children do not behave properly. After a certain age, children do not obey their parents, because parents themselves do not follow the right path.

There should be no difference of opinion between the father and the mother. They should be united in whatever they tell their children. In some families, mother and father differ in their direction to the children. Such lack of unity and understanding between the parents is not a good sign.

Both of them must stand on one word and teach their children the right path.. First of all, they should teach their children to adhere to truth. It is enough if we follow the path of truth, because truth is the basis of everything.

Sathyannasti paro dharma (There is no dharma greater than adherence to truth). Peace originates from righteousness, and love manifests from peace. Where there is love, there is non-violence. If the nation has to attain peace and prosperity, we should follow the path of truth.

What is truth?

"Manasyekam vachasyekam karmanyekam mahatmanaam" (He is a noble soul whose thoughts, words, and deeds are in harmony). If your thought, word, and deed are at variance, it amounts to falsehood. Before we teach our children to adhere to truth, we should practise truth in our daily life. Only then can the children emulate us and become ideal.

"Manasyekam vachasyekam karmanyekam mahatmanaam" (He is a noble soul whose thoughts, words, and deeds are in harmony). If your thought, word, and deed are at variance, it amounts to falsehood. Before we teach our children to adhere to truth, we should practise truth in our daily life. Only then can the children emulate us and become ideal.

We should lead a "heartful life" but not an artificial life. Today, right from the system of education, everything has become artificial. People read a number of sacred texts, chant mantras, and undertake meditation. But all this is done in an artificial manner. Whatever may be the spiritual practice you undertake, do it wholeheartedly.

Turn Towards God to Control the Mind

In the name of meditation, people close their eyes and sit cross-legged, but they have no control over their mind. Their mind goes everywhere as per its whims and fancies. Therefore, we should control our mind in the first instance. Manah eva manushyanam karanam bandhamokshayo (mind is the cause of bondage and liberation of man). As the thought, so is the action. Hence, we should entertain only good thoughts, which lead to good actions and ultimately yield good results..

Mind is like a mad monkey. It goes everywhere without any restraint. But it becomes quiet and subdued when it is turned toward God. When the Sun rises, our shadow is very long. If we start walking toward the Sun, our shadow falls behind us. On the other hand, if we walk in the opposite direction with our back toward the Sun, we have to follow our shadow, which falls ahead of us. When the Sun is right on our head, the shadow falls under our feet. Maya (delusion) is like our shadow. In order to conquer maya, you have to turn your mind toward God. When your mind is directly focused on God, maya will be totally subdued like the shadow under your feet.

In order to conquer maya, you have to turn your mind toward God. When your mind is directly focused on God, maya will be totally subdued like the shadow under your feet.

There are three hands in the clock indicating seconds, minutes, and hours. The second hand is the longest and moves quicker than the other two. When the second hand completes sixty digits, the minute hand moves forward by one digit. Similarly, when the minute hand crosses sixty digits, the hour hand crosses one digit. However, the hour hand is most important. Thinking of God once in a while and spending the rest of the time in worldly pursuits is like the second hand, which has little significance. But constant contemplation of God at all times is like the hour hand, which is most important.

Love is truth and truth is love. Live in love. This is not physical and worldly love.. We should preserve spiritual love in our heart. Only then can we develop steadiness of mind. Worldly love will only make our mind fickle and unsteady. Therefore, keep your mind always focused on God. Only then can you experience peace. People think it is very difficult, but let Me tell you that there is no sadhana (spiritual discipline) easier than this.

When we develop love for God, the mind can be controlled very easily. On the other hand, if the mind is not turned toward God, it can never be controlled. Whatever you do, consider it as God's work.

Surrender to His Will

Everything happens as per the Will of God. Do not be under the delusion that your will alone can make things move. If that be the case, why are you not able to exercise any control over certain events that take place in your life? Understand that everything moves as per the Divine Will. If something good happens to you, consider it as the Will of God. If something unpleasant happens, accept that too as the Will of God.

There is certainly some purpose behind whatever He does, which you cannot comprehend. Whatever He does is for your own good. Hence, leave everything to His Will. Sukhadukhe samekruthwa labhalabhau jayajayau (one should remain equal minded in happiness and sorrow, gain and loss, victory and defeat). Whatever may happen, consider it as an act of divine love and welcome it wholeheartedly.

Everything happens as per the Will of God. Do not be under the delusion that your will alone can make things move. If that be the case, why are you not able to exercise any control over certain events that take place in your life?....

Sukhadukhe samekruthwa labhalabhau jayajayau (one should remain equal minded in happiness and sorrow, gain and loss, victory and defeat).

When you get immersed in divine love, you will be successful in all your endeavours. But today people are getting immersed only in worldly love. One who develops worldly love is a liar! Only divine love can be termed as true love.

Divine love will never betray you. Let people think what they like, let them criticise you in any manner, but always remain firmly established in divine love. Under any circumstances, do not deviate from the path of divine love. When you preserve divine love in your heart, your future as well as the future of your children will be safe and secure.

~ Divine Discourse delivered at the Sri Sathya Sai World Education Conference on 22 July, 2008

THE DIVINE STORY OF

SHIRDI SAI PARTHI SAI - Part III

(Continued from the previous issue)

[ This page has lots of Graphics. Allow time for the images to download. ]

The husband leaves home, constantly chanting the Name of the Lord, without looking back even once. He is determined to go to the forest, meditate, have the Lord’s Darshan, and merge in Him. The children are bewildered and start crying. Devagiri Amma is confused and torn between two minds. On the one hand she wants to follow her husband. On the other hand she is drawn towards her children. She decides that she will leave her children to the care of someone else and go behind her husband, despite the advanced stage of her pregnancy. She goes to the house of a neighbour and knocks on her door.

SCENE 5

D.AMMA:

Radhabai, Radhabai, … [to children] you wait here.

RADHABAI:

Devagiri Amma! What happened? Have you quarrelled with your husband? Are you going to your mother’s place?

D.AMMA: No. My husband is disappointed that he did not get the Darshan of Parvathi and Parameshwara. So he is going in search of God! My duty is to be by my husband’s side and serve him. I am therefore going with him.

RADHABAI: Devagiri Amma, think carefully. It is not good for you to go in your present state. At least for the sake of these young children here, please change your decision.

D.AMMA: God Himself has decided that I should go in this manner. No one can change His decision! Lady, help me please, and take my two children to my mother’s house.

RADHABAI: Alright, I shall do so.

D.AMMA: Please! Please do me this great favour!

The children cry as Devagiri Amma leaves them and goes behind her husband. He keeps on chanting Om Namah Sivayah! He does not look back even once, though Devagiri Amma repeatedly calls out to him. He enters a forest and his wife continues to trail him; but she finds it more and more difficult. Meanwhile she develops labour pains. At this juncture a fierce storm breaks out. The lady takes shelter under a tree. There a baby boy is born. The storm abates. Devagiri Amma carefully wraps up the baby, places it in a safe dry spot and leaves, going in search of her husband.

ACT II

SCENE 1

A horse drawn cart is going through the forest and approaches the spot where Devagiri Amma has abandoned her new-born baby. In the cart are travelling a man and a lady, Mr. And Mrs Patel. They hear the baby crying.

MRS PATEL: Please, let us stop for a moment. I hear a baby crying.

PATEL: [to the driver] Ismail, stop the cart. …….[to his wife] Yes, I also hear the crying. Come, let us go and see.

MRS PATEL: Somewhere here……….I heard the crying sound coming from somewhere here.

PATEL: Yes, me too.

MRS PATEL: Over there! The sound seems to be coming from there!

PATEL: Yes indeed!

RS PATEL: Look! The baby is here! It is a new-born!! ……Strange! There is no one around.

PATEL: Yes, no one seems to be around. Is it a boy or a girl?

MRS PATEL: What does it matter? Either way, it is a mother’s child!

PATEL: It is a boy!

MRS PATEL: This is a new-born baby. It must have been born just a short while ago. How did the mother have the heart to leave the baby like this and go?

PATEL: This baby is God’s gift to us, since we have no children of our own.

MRS. PATEL: If we had not come, this baby would have been in great danger! …… Shall we take this baby and bring it up?

PATEL: Yes. Our bad days are over; from today, this baby is our child.

The Patels are overjoyed. They pick up the baby, and take it to their home. Most affectionately, they bring the boy up. This is the young Shirdi Sai. A few years pass.

SCENE 2

Mrs. Patel is engaged in worship at home. She is looking for the lamp, as she wants to light it.

MRS. PATEL: I had kept it here but don’t see it now. Where could it have gone?

The lady sees that the boy has taken the lamp away and is trying to light it in some other place.

MRS. PATEL: Child, What are you trying to do? Is this the place to light the lamp?

YOUNG SAI: Why not?

MRS. PATEL: The lamp should be lit only in the altar, before God. You can’t do it where you want and when you want.

YOUNG SAI: Mother, God is everywhere, and all the time! Both the lamp and light are God, are they not? Where there is light, there is GOD!

MRS.PATEL: Child, how do you know all these things?

YOUNG SAI: I know! You should not ask how!!

PATEL: Did you hear? How nicely our son explains!! This is not just due to the merits of his earlier births; it is something much beyond. No one can explain in this manner at such a tender age! Come, …… come my dear!

The lady continues with her worship. Meanwhile, Young Sai is distributing Prasaadam to his friends.

YOUNG SAI: You,…… you too, …….hold out your hand,…....OK, now pray and then eat.

MRS.PATEL: Oh no! What is it that you are doing my child! Can one eat before offering to God? Is it not wrong? Will not God get angry?

YOUNG SAI: No mother, God won’t be angry. God is above anger, sorrow, love, attachment, revenge and such petty feelings. He is just a Witness!

MRS.PATEL: Great, you and your high-flown philosophy!

YOUNG SAI: No mother, this is not high philosophy. It is the Truth. Don’t they say that God is everywhere? He IS everywhere! He is in us too. When we eat this

Prasaadam or when some other being eats it, it is really God who eats! Mother, what I am doing is not wrong.

MRS.PATEL (to husband): Did you hear what he said?

PATEL: What he is saying are not just words but the very essence of the scriptures! Only the Wise can understand the meaning of those words.

MRS PATEL: This boy baffles me. Shouldn’t one go by tradition, rituals, and culture? (Slips and is about to fall; but recovers, assisted by husband.)

PATEL: What happened?

MRS PATEL: God saved me! Otherwise, I would have been badly injured.

YOUNG SAI: Mother, do you now follow? You said that God saved you. But it was father who held you and prevented you from falling down. That means God is in father also. That is why they say God is everywhere!

MRS PATEL: Only now am I able to understand what you said. Tiny fingers may light the lamp but the lamp can illumine a whole mountain! How nicely a small one like you could explain a Truth as vast as the very ocean! Come on, have this; take this Prasaadam! All of you also have

Prasaadam. When you eat, I shall take it that the Lord Himself has partaken of the offering ……….. Oh God, what else can I say?!

TO BE CONTINUED... ...

CONVERSATIONS WITH SAI

Satyopanishad - part 19:Direct Directions from the Divine

Dear Reader,In response to your positive feedback to this section where we have a conversation with the Divine, we continue with Prof. Anil Kumar’s ‘Satyopanishad’ following Dr. John Hislop’s series ‘Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba’ that ended in January 2008.This series is also in the question-answer format that many devotees prefer, and has answers from Bhagavan on topics as wide ranging as the origin of evil, the goals of human life, and aspects of God – embodied and formless, to price hikes, women’s liberation, vegetarianism, and the generation gap among people of the present times.Published in two parts by the author, these volumes have 270 questions in all, which are neatly grouped under separate chapters.. In this issue, we continue the sixth chapter, ‘Parallels and

Polarities’.

Chapter 6: Parallels and Polarities(Continued from the previous issue)

Prof. Anil Kumar: Out of the two, faith and love, which precedes the other? Is it true that we love if only we have faith, or is it the other way round? Kindly tell us about it.

Bhagavan: You should definitely have faith first in order to love. Do not doubt this. Unless you have full faith that so and so is your father, mother, son, wife or husband, you will not be able to love any one of them. If you have no faith, and if you are not sure of the dear ones how can you love them? Is it possible for you to love the one you doubt? So, faith comes first and love next.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! We meet many persons who say that they can believe only after going through an intimation of divinity; that is they can develop faith only after they experience. But, many also feel that only strong faith gives us that experience. So, which of the two precedes the other? Please tell us, Swami.Bhagavan: Faith, which comes first, gives you experience. You must have unwavering faith in order to experience. Faith is the foundation. For example, to

swim, you should jump into water. You cannot say that you will jump into water only after learning swimming. You cannot learn it on tar roads or cement roads. You can learn it only in water. Here water is faith and the art of swimming is experience. So, faith precedes experience.

Faith, which comes first, gives you experience. You must have unwavering faith in order to experience. Faith is the foundation.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Is it proper to say that 'I am in God'? Or should I say that 'God is in me'? Which of the two is appropriate?

Bhagavan: Our scripture says, sarvam vishnu mayam jagat, God is all pervasive. He encompasses the entire Universe. Vasudevas sarvamiti, isavasyam idam sarvam are our scriptural dicta. They make it very clear that the entire cosmos is in Him.It is correct to say that you are in God. It is not correct to say that God is in you. Of course, when the whole universe is in Him, naturally you are in Him. How? A small example: You are holding in your hand a rose flower. It means that the rose flower is small and you are big. Since God is infinite, the world is in Him. But, if you put it in the reverse order by saying that God is in you, you become bigger than God. This is not a proper feeling. You are a spark of that divine. mamaivamso jivaloke jivabhutah sanatanah, says the Gita.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! How is it possible not to be attached to the family and to rise above the feeling of 'mine' and 'thine'?Bhagavan: A small example here. A rich man who resides in a big bungalow has an Alsatian dog. This dog is always vigilant and will not permit anyone to enter the house. Now what can be done to get into that house? You are left with two ways. Either you should tame the dog and get in or call for the rich man to escort you. Otherwise, the dog will not permit you to move forward even an inch.

Similarly, to pass through the main gate of attachment, you have to tame possessiveness, like a dog. This is karma marga, the path of action. Alternatively, you can call for the help of God and get in. This is bhakti marga, the path of devotion. Hence, karma, selfless action and bhakti, devotion, are the two alternatives for developing detachment and giving up possessive instincts.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! We come across certain terms used in philosophy and get very much confused. For instance, 'conscience' and 'consciousness'. Are they not synonyms? If not, what is the difference between the two? Scholars, when consulted, add to the confusion. I am at a loss to know what these two terms 'conscience’ and ‘consciousness' mean.

Bhagavan: There is difference between the two. They are not definitely synonyms. You should know here three terms: 'subconscious’, ‘conscience’, and ‘consciousness'. That which works below the senses is the subconscious. But, 'conscience' is above the senses. 'Consciousness' is all pervasive.

A small example: You have air all around. You fill a balloon with air. It gets inflated. Now, there is air in the balloon and also outside it. If you pump in more air into the balloon it bursts with the result that the air in the balloon gets merged with the air around. You can equate the air within the balloon with subconscious and the air all around with conscience. The divinity within the individual is conscience while divinity in everyone, which is all pervasive, collective, and universal is consciousness. Spirituality refers to many subtle things. You must understand them very carefully.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Almost all of us claim to have immense faith in and intense love for Bhagavan. But, we also notice at the same time a lot of ego and pride in our words and deeds. What is to be done

then?

Bhagavan: It is impossible for an egotistic person to know and experience God. This is very certain. Just as water flows always downwards, so also a proud man is sure to fall. You may say that you love God. But, God also must acknowledge your love. Should He not? Suppose you send a registered letter to your friend, should you not get the acknowledgement? Similarly, God also should be touched and moved by your devotion to Him in order to respond to your love. This will never happen so long as there is ego in you.

One day Krishna and Arjuna noticed a Brahmin who was holding a sword and eating a dry blade of grass. They were very surprised to see such a peculiar Brahmin. Slowly, they approached him and softly asked him why he was carrying a sword as he was a Brahmin. The Brahmin said, "I am in search of four persons, whom I have decided to kill". Krishna asked, “Who are they?" In reply, the Brahmin said, “The first person I want to kill is Narada, the celestial singer. He sings continuously the glory of Narayana all the time and everywhere he moves making Narayana, my God, restless. So, I must kill him.“The second person I am going to kill is that boy Prahlada. His father put him to suffering of all kinds. My Lord had to rush every time to save him. When Prahlada was given poison, my Lord had to be there in the poison to save him. When he was thrown from the

mountaintop, my God had to stretch His hands to hold and save him. When he was thrown into the sea, my Lord had to rescue him. When he was thrown into the fire, my Lord had to be there too in the fire to save him. He was trampled under the feet of an elephant and Narayana had to be there for his protection. Every time he prayed to God, He, out of compassion, responded to his prayers. In a way, Prahlada made my God constantly wait to save him so that nothing untoward might happen to him at any time. So I plan to kill him.

Intuition is beyond both mind and intellect; it is direct perception of truth and hence it stands for conviction.

“The third person in my hit list is Draupadi. She prayed to my Lord Krishna as the only refuge of the forlorn when she was being disrobed in the open court by Dussasana. My God Krishna had to rush to help her out of a most humiliating situation leaving all His consorts behind Him and without saying anything to anyone. And last but not the least, the person whom I want to kill is Arjuna, He made my Lord his charioteer during the Kurukshetra war and gave Him a great deal of trouble.â€Arjuna standing by the side of Krishna heard the entire conversation. He bent his head in full recognition of the Brahmin's devotion to God, a kind of devotion which excelled even his own.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! How can we differentiate thought from intuition?

Bhagavan: Thought is the outcome of the mind, and hence it is dual while intuition is non-dual. A thought may arise according to your convenience. But, intuition is beyond both mind and intellect; it is the direct perception of truth and hence it stands for conviction. So, intuition is said to be buddhi which is transcendental, buddhi grahyamati indriyam.A thought may be right or wrong, but the prompting of an intuition is nothing but truth. Thoughts are mostly of a sensual and worldly nature. But, intuition is the inner voice or the voice of conscience and is divine. Your intelligence may sometimes lead you to a situation when you begin to doubt or suspect even your wife. Sometimes you may also turn mad. But, conscience or intuition awakens your inner awareness.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! We are influenced by social, ethical, scientific, economic and political factors in life. I have one question to ask You. If I am wrong, kindly pardon me. We hear people speaking about equality and equanimity. How can we achieve them? Some groups in society claim to work towards these ideals. How are we to accomplish them?

Bhagavan: There is nothing wrong if one is a seeker of truth. You understand clearly that the two words you now mentioned samanatva equality, and samatva equanimity, are not synonymous. They have different meanings.

Samatva, equanimity, is to be achieved at the individual level, while samanatva, equality, applies to a society. Equanimity has to be achieved by everyone. It is the state of mind unruffled by 'bumps and jumps' in life, not tossed about by defeats and failures. A state of mind that remains the same in the time of both fortune and misfortune is said to be equanimous.

Samatva, equanimity, is to be achieved at the individual level, while samanatva, equality, applies to a society. It is impossible to realise and establish samatva anywhere and at any time. Your body is not equal to it. It has ups and downs. While your nose and stomach project outwards, your neck dips downwards. Are you like a pillar? Then, how about the earth? Is it level? No. It is full of ups and downs with mountains, valleys, hills, oceans, etc. Isn't it? Are all of you of the same height, weight and complexion? Are your ideas, aspirations, ambitions equal? No. Where is equality then?A small illustration: One person has seven acres of land. Another person has five acres. Supposing you divide the land equally between them, the first person loses one acre and naturally feels sad, while the other person gains one more acre and feels

happy. The feelings of the two are not the same. Then, where is equality?

A small story to illustrate the same meaning: A certain king went round his kingdom in disguise and noticed the sufferings and difficulties of some of his people. He decided to alleviate their sufferings. He went to a forest and there he prayed to God. God manifested before him and granted him the life span of a hundred years to realise his dream of establishing equality in his kingdom, when all people would be happy and equal.On hearing this, the queen went and prayed to God. "Oh God! May the people also be granted a hundred year span of life! What is the use if only the king lives for a hundred years?" God granted a hundred years to each one of the people also. Then a few elders did penance and pleased God who responded to their prayers by granting a hundred years to the queen, Rajyalakshmi. After some time the king returned to his kingdom, and with great

difficulty, he could find out his palace because God had made all equal and hence he noticed palaces all over.The king asked the queen, “Why the streets are dirty?" She said, “Oh! We have no sweepers now, all being equalâ€. Then the king asked the queen to get some water ready for him to take his bath. The queen said, “Oh King! We have no servants as all are equal nowâ€. The king realised his mistake, as he found the entire social order greatly disturbed. He immediately prayed to God for the return of the old order.This is how the so-called equality operates. But, equanimity is different. It has to be achieved by everyone. It is the state of mind unruffled by 'bumps and jumps' in life, not tossed about by defeats and failures. A state of mind that remains the same in the time of both fortune and misfortune is said to be equanimous.

You should not be elated by praise or depressed by blame but maintain equanimity in both times. Spiritually, ekovasi sarvabhutantaratma, the same God is in everyone. Feelings of thirst and hunger are identical for all. Desires differ, views vary. As you know, 'tastes differ'. Equality is impossible but equanimity is desirable and one has to work for it.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Excuse me for putting this question. We speak of 'God' and 'demigod'. Are both the same? Please clarify.

There are two types of telephone calls. One is the number call and the other the personal call. When I dial your number to find out if you are at home, anyone at home can respond. But, if I make a 'personal call' only you will reply. Similarly, all prayers to demigods are like 'number calls'. But, a prayer to God is the 'personal call.'

Bhagavan: I often say, 'You are God'. In the ancient days our population was much less, say about three crores. So people said there were three crores of demigods or devatas. Remember that the human body is the moving temple of God. But, it should be realised in your experience. This you don't get out of worldly or secular knowledge. You don't get it in the realm of your mind with sugyana. But, it is experienced through atmagyana, knowledge of the Self. If God is the Prime Minister, demigods, devatas are Cabinet Ministers, each one of them being in charge of a particular department, like Finance, Education, Home, etc.During earlier times, they considered the five elements demigods, such as agnideva, Fire God, vayudeva, Wind God, bhumata, Mother Earth, varunadeva, Rain God, Lakshmi, Goddess of

Wealth, Sarasvati, Goddess of knowledge, Durga, Goddess of Energy, and so on. If you write a letter addressed to the Prime Minister, it will go to him, so also your prayers to God. But, if you write to the Cabinet Ministers separately, the letters go to them respectively. Our yajnas and yagas are the sacred rituals that appease demigods.Another example: There are two types of telephone calls. One is the number call and the other the personal call. When I dial your number to find out if you are at home, anyone at home can respond. But, if I make a 'personal call' only you will reply. Similarly, all prayers to demigods are like 'number calls'.. But, a prayer to God is the 'personal call.'During namasankirtan, congregational singing, all can sing mentioning various names, attributes and qualities of God. However, in meditation you have to concentrate on a name and form of your choice.

(To be continued...)

----------------------

HOW I HANDLED MY TEMPER

By Dr. Ben Carson

I was in the ninth grade when the unthinkable happened. I lost control and tried to knife a friend. Bob and I were listening to a transistor radio when he flipped the dial to another station. "You call that music?" he demanded. "It's better than what you like,†I yelled back, grabbing for the dial.

"Come on, Carson. You always…" In that instant blind anger - pathological anger – took possession of me. Grabbing the camping knife I carried in my back pocket, I snapped it open and lunged for the boy who had been my friend. With all the power of my young muscles, I thrust the knife toward his belly. The knife hit his big, heavy belt buckle with such force that the blade snapped and dropped to the ground. I stared at the broken blade and went weak. I had almost killed him. I had almost killed my friend. If the buckle hadn't protected him, Bob would have been lying at my feet, dying or severely wounded. He didn't say anything, just looked at me, unbelieving. "I-I'm sorry," I muttered, dropping the handle. I couldn't look him in the eye.

Without a word, I turned and ran home. Thankfully the house was empty, for I couldn't bear to see anyone. I raced to the bathroom where I could be alone, and locked the door. Then I sank down on the edge of the tub, my long legs stretching across the linoleum, bumping against the sink. I tried to kill Bob. I tried to kill my friend. No matter how tightly I squeezed my eyes shut, I couldn't escape the image - my hand, my knife, the belt buckle, the broken knife. And Bob's face!

"This is crazy," I finally mumbled. "I must be crazy. Sane people don't try to kill their friends." The rim of the tub felt cool under my hands. I put my hands on my hot face. "I'm doing so well at school, and then I do this." I'd dreamed of being a doctor since I was 8 years old. But how could I fulfill the dream with such a terrible temper? When angry, I went out of control and had no idea how to stop. I'd never make anything of myself if I didn't control my temper. If only I could do something about the rage that burned inside me.

Two hours passed. The green and brown squiggly snakelike design on the linoleum swam before my eyes. I felt sick to my stomach, disgusted with myself, and ashamed. "Unless I get rid of this temper," I said aloud, "I'm not going to make it. If Bob hadn't worn that big buckle he'd probably be dead, and I'd be on my way to jail or reform school."

Misery washed over me. My sweaty shirt stuck to my back. Sweat trickled down my armpits and my sides. I hated myself, but I couldn't help myself, and so I hated myself even more. From somewhere deep inside my mind came a strong impression. Pray. My mother had taught me to pray. My teachers at the religious school in Boston often told us that God would help us if we only asked Him. For weeks, for months, I had been trying to control my temper, figuring I could handle it myself. Now, in that small hot bathroom I knew the truth. I could not handle my temper alone.

I felt as though I could never face anyone again. How could I look my mother in the eye? Would she know? How could I ever see Bob again? How could he help but hate me? How could he ever trust me again? "Lord," I whispered, "You have to take this temper from me. If You don't, I'll never be free from it. I'll end up doing things a lot worse than trying to stab one of my best friends.†Already heavily into psychology (I had been reading "Psychology Todayâ€for a year), I knew that temper was a personality trait. Standard thinking in the field pointed out the difficulty, if not the impossibility, of modifying personality traits. Even today some experts believe that the best we can do is accept our limitations and adjust to them…

Tears streamed between my fingers. "Lord, despite, what all the experts tell me, You can change me. You can free me forever from this destructive personality trait." I wiped my nose on a piece of toilet paper and let it drop to the floor. "You've promised that if we come to You and ask something in faith, that You'll do it. I believe that You can change this in me." I stood up, looking at the narrow window, still pleading for God's help. I couldn't go on hating myself forever for all the terrible things I'd done.

I sank down on the toilet, sharp mental pictures of other temper fits filling my mind. I saw my anger, clenched my fists against my rage. I wouldn't be any good for anything if I couldn't change. “My poor motherâ€,I thought. “She believes in me. Not even she knows how bad I amâ€. Misery engulfed me in darkness. "If you don't do this for me, God, I've got no place else to go."

At one point I'd slipped out of the bathroom long enough to grab a Bible. Now I opened it and began to read in the book of Proverbs. Immediately I saw a string of verses about angry people and how they get themselves into trouble. Proverbs 16:32 impressed me the most: “He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.â€My lips moved wordlessly as I continued to read. I felt as though the verses had been written just for me. The words of Proverbs condemned me, but they also gave me hope. After a while peace begin to fill my mind. My hands stopped shaking. The tears stopped. During those hours alone in the bathroom, something happened to me. God heard my deep cries of anguish. A feeling of lightness flowed over me, and I knew a change of heart had taken place. I felt different. I was different.

At last I stood up, placed the Bible on the edge of the tub, and went to the sink. I washed my face and hands and straightened my clothes. Then, I walked out of the bathroom a changed young man. "My temper will never control me I again," I told myself. "Never again. I'm free."

And since that day, since those long hours wrestling with myself and crying to God for help, I have never had a problem with my temper. That same afternoon I decided I would read the Bible every day. I've kept that practice as a daily habit and especially enjoy the book of Proverbs. Even now, whenever possible, I pick up my Bible and read the first thing every morning.

The miracle that took place was incredible when I stop to think about it. Some of my psychologically oriented friends insist that I still have the potential for anger. Maybe they're right, but I've lived more than twenty years since that experience, and have never had another flare-up, or even had a serious problem of needing to control my temper.

I can tolerate amazing amounts of stress and ridicule. By God's grace, it still doesn't require any effort to shake off unpleasant, irritating things. God has helped me to conquer my terrible temper, once and forever.

During those hours in the bathroom I also came to realize that if people could make me angry they could control me. Why should I give someone else such power over my life?

- From the book “Gifted Handsâ€, by Dr. Ben Carson

Illustrations: Mrs. Lyn, New Zealand

Dr. Benjamin Carson is known around the world for breakthroughs in neurosurgery that has brought hope where no hope existed. In “Gifted Handsâ€, he tells of his inspiring odyssey from his childhood in inner-city, Detroit, to his position of Director of Paediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions at age 33.

Dr. Carson was instrumental in that 17 hour epic surgery in which his 70-member team separated 7-month old Siamese twins at the Johns Hopkins. His strong faith in God and faith in the essential goodness of humanity, his passion for perfection and his love for his patients which created medical miracles in his illustrious career project him as more than a surgeon.

Dear Reader, did this article inspire you in any way? Do you have a similar story to share? Please tell us your reflections about this article by writing to h2h mentioning your name and country. Thank you for your time.

- Heart2Heart Team

-------

ALL ABOUT KARMA – Part-1

Loving Sai Ram and greetings from Prashanti Nilayam. This is, I believe, the tenth talk in the Q and A series. Thus far, I have been dealing with questions that largely centred on the purpose of life, that is, why has God given life to humans, and what does God expect humans to do with this most precious gift? I do hope you have gained something out of the talks on that theme. Even if you have not understood all that you heard, do not worry.

In Spirituality, clarity often comes slowly, when we constantly reflect on the same matter. So, let us now continue, to the next instalment of questions, all of which deal with the question of doer-ship,

Karma and so on. What these mean would become clear right away, when the two questions would be presented. The first two questions that came out of our question bag were as follows:

QUESTION 1: Do we have free will or are we under the illusion that we have one? Is life simply mapped out in front of us, or do we create our own destiny by our choices?

QUESTION 2: If God is the only doer and not even a blade of grass moves without His will, then how does the Law of Karma operate in terms of responsibility for actions and their consequences?

Both questions are very important and deal with the same topic; and they are also frequently asked. So maybe we should concentrate a bit and try to understand what this so-called freewill is all about.

Let me begin with the remark that this word freewill is often heard amongst intellectuals, especially in the Western world. Vedantists, on the other hand, swear by the idea that man is never the doer and that God alone is. This immediately starts a debate between the freewill camp and the Vedantist’s camp, and the questions you heard essentially reflect the spirit of this debate.

Reduced to simple terms, the questions become: “Are we in charge or are we not? If we are not and everything is pre-determined by God, then why on earth are we held accountable for things we do, which anyway God has determined we shall do? This is like passing the buck and is not fair!†Maybe I have made the contrast between the two points of view rather sharp but that roughly is what bothers many seekers. Clearly, the question is a complex one, and needs to be analysed slowly and carefully, step by step; and that precisely is what we shall now try to do.

Let me start with the first question, which, to remind you once more, is:

Do we have free will or are we under the illusion that we have free will? Is life simply mapped out in front of us, or do we create our own destiny by our choices?

I hope that in the light of the comments I made earlier, at least the question is clear. There are three concepts embedded in this question and let me take the first one, namely freewill. Before I deal with this and the second question in detail, I must mention that perception – which is what these questions really reduce to – depends largely on one’s point of view. The issue of perception is very important, and maybe I should spend a few minutes to give a major example from Physics, by way of setting the stage.

Theory of Relativity in Spirituality

Sir Albert Einstein

In the year 1905, Einstein, who was then an obscure clerk in the Swiss Patent Office in Zurich, wondered a lot about how a particular event would appear to two observers, as he called them. Observer A, said Einstein, was stationary, that is, he was not moving at all, while Observe B was moving with a constant velocity. Both A and B are looking at the same event; the question is, how do A and B see or perceive this event? You and I would perhaps say, “What a question! Both are looking at the same event and therefore both would see the same thing!†Mr. Einstein says, “Not so fast, my dear sir, it all depends on how fast Observer B is moving. If he is moving close to or at the speed of light, then he would see the same event very differently!†Einstein did not merely throw a curve ball as they say, but actually wrote down several equations to substantiate his statement and from this

was born the famous Special Theory of Relativity.

OK, all that is fine, and we congratulate Einstein for his epoch-making discovery, which, by the way, has been confirmed experimentally beyond any shadow of doubt. However, what has all that got to do with the question we are now considering? Well, I brought that up so that we appreciate that the answer we get depends upon the point of view we take before we enter into the debate. I should, to complete the short narrative about Einstein, add that Einstein, while analysing the perceptions of the two Observers A and B, also gave a set of equations that enable one to transit from one viewpoint to the other – these are the celebrated

Lorentz transformations. This business of the stationary and the moving observers having different perceptions is not a made up thing. In fact, you might have actually experienced this; I have and let me describe what I mean.

Imagine sitting in a train that is stationary and standing at the platform of a station. By the side of your train is standing on the adjacent track another train that is headed somewhere else. This other track is barely a meter or two away, and the two trains are quite close. Looking out of the window, you are able to see the other train and some of the passengers riding that, even as they would be able to your train, etc.

Now suddenly, you see the other train slowly moving, and you think, “When will our train take off and how long do we have to hang around this station?†But in reality, it might be your train that is moving and not the other one, and that becomes clear to you only later when your train begins to pick up speed by accelerating!

I do not want to go into all that in detail, but the point I am making is that perception depends very much on the point of view. I hope you keep that point in mind all the time, while reading the rest of what follows.

Free Will – Freedom of Choice or Freedom from Consequence?

Now that I have provided some sort of a preamble and background, let me turn to the question proper. The first point is whether we really have an entitlement called freewill, or is that belief a mere illusion. In dealing with this question, I would like to make a clear distinction between what I would call Freewill and what might be referred to as freedom of choice, as opposed to True Freewill. Just to assure you, let me affirm that the remarks I am making are all based on what Swami has said earlier – that goes without saying. To get back to what I was saying, let me start with some mundane examples and remarks.

Take a thing like spitting on the road. In many countries, for example Singapore, this is not only illegal but if there is a violation, the violator is punished by the law enforcement agencies. On the other hand, in many countries [india is an example] there is no explicit law against spitting in public places; in such cases, a person might spit on the road or he might not; he can do as he pleases without any legal consequences. I hope you get the point.. The issue can be narrowed down to the question: Is there or is there not a consequence to one’s action, that is, is there a price to pay if one does something?

Mahatma Gandhi

Keeping all that in mind, let us now focus on actions that do not attract any legal consequences. While a particular act might not be in violation of the law of the land, the question still remains whether it is in violation of Moral Law. The Spiritual question I started with is really connected with this kind of issue. Gandhi once said,

“There is a Moral Law governing the Universe.†Very true but many do not accept that, atheists in particular. They go ahead and do what they want, all in the name of freewill. The question is whether in the end, there is any price to pay? We can get some clarity in the matter by considering an example.

Consider heavy smoking, chain-smoking in particular. As far as I know, no country has a law totally banning smoking, although these days, there are lots of restrictions concerning smoking in public spaces, etc. Suppose a person does not violate city or state laws; yet, he smokes a lot, especially at home. He is not violating any man-made law, but is he getting away without paying any price? Hardly; there is a very good chance this person who believes he is exercising his freewill would end up with a serious heart problem or lung cancer; no dispute about that.

I shall come back a bit later to whether any violation of Moral Law is involved in heavy smoking but meanwhile please note that the message we are getting is: “One might claim one is acting according to one’s freewill, but in the end there IS a price that one has to pay.â€

The Invisible Fabric of Moral Law

Let me now focus a bit more on moral violations. A person may indulge in actions that violate a fundamental moral code, arguing that there is no prohibition in law. But there still is a basic point here which is that while the law of the land might not bother the person concerned, the violation of the Moral Law which, being intrinsic to Creation, would subject the person to a Karmic debt.

In other words, the person concerned has to face the consequences of his Karma, consequences, which would get imposed on him by Destiny. You may or may not believe in it, but that is what Swami also says, and so we have to accept facts and not waste time disputing them.

What it all boils down to is that bound as we all are by Eternal Moral Laws, we can never claim to have any freewill; to believe that we do have it is pure self-delusion.

Getting back to the question of smoking, one might argue: “Show me one statement in the Bible or the Vedas or the Quoran that forbids smoking. There is none. So how can you call it a violation of the Moral Law?†My answer is simple. Historically, tobacco smoking came into existence only after the British discovered tobacco in North America – that was somewhere in the sixteenth century I believe. In other words, smoking came into existence long after the

Vedas, the Bible and the Quoran were written down. That is why there is no explicit prohibition against smoking in the scriptures. But look at smoking in the Spirit of say the

Vedas and the Gita. Ancient wisdom tells us not to go after sensual pleasures; and what is smoking but a form of sensual pleasure? Thus, there is an implicit Moral objection to smoking even in the scriptures [if that is what one wants],

though not written down in black and white. And when this unwritten Moral code is violated, we get the bill some day or the other! What it all boils down to is that bound as we all are by Eternal Moral Laws, we can never claim to have any freewill; to believe that we do have it is pure self-delusion.

Karmic Influence – The Long and Short of it

Let me now move on to the second part of the question, which is whether everything is completely pre-determined right down to the micro or even the nano-level, or do we have some control over Destiny? I would say it all depends on how far down the road one is looking.

Certainly, the current momentum of one’s life would be determined by one’s past track record; in other words, if one is looking at short-term and maybe the entire span of the current life, it might be influenced by Karmic debt associated with one’s past lives.

But if one looks at the long-term, that is to say over many future lives, then one can say that would certainly be influenced by present actions.

In other words, we can certainly shape our Destiny over the long-term, by the choices we now make. The questioner wants to know something about the choices we should make, and I hope that what I have just said clarifies matters.

Let me now move on to the second question, which, to remind you, is:

If God is the only doer and not even a blade of grass moves without His will, then how does the Law of Karma operate in terms of responsibility for actions and their consequences?

This question is a very interesting one, and is frequently asked. People want to know clearly: “Are we in charge or is God in charge? Everyone says God is in charge, in which case, why is a buck called

Karma passed on to us? This is unfair!†This precisely is where the question of the point of view, etc., enters the picture. Remember all that I said earlier about Observer A, Observer B, Einstein’s theory of Special Relativity and all that? I now have to lean on that analogy.

The Tug Between ‘My will’ and ‘Thy will’

The two points of view associated with this question are basically related to what the individual feels about the issue of doer-ship. Those whose personality is dominated by ego invariably feel that they are the doer and the achiever – that is of course when they succeed, especially hugely. Come failure, everyone looks for a scapegoat! Strange as it might sound, there are also people who are not dominated entirely by ego or body-consciousness. With due humility, such people attribute everything, both successes and failures to Destiny. They humbly say, “I am not the decider or the doer; it is His will, which is always done.â€

Seen this way, the issue of whether or not God is the real doer really boils down to whom you are talking to. If you ask a person who takes great pride in his or her achievement – and the world is full of such people – then clearly these people cannot claim credit for all the success that comes to them and then, when the going becomes rough, pass the buck to God and blame Him for all the problems! Obviously, one cannot have it both ways, have the cake and eat it too! I hope that is clear.

The whole thing is like a two-seater car with two people riding it. Clearly, one person alone can drive the car; in the case of life, the two parties are God and the individual concerned. If the individual is ego-dominated, then he gets into the driving seat and hence, as far as he is concerned, God just sits in the adjacent seat and comes along for the ride!

OK, what about the people who have sublimated their ego and surrendered to God? In their case, who is the doer? If one has totally surrendered to God, and I mean totally – not an easy thing I might add – if one has done that, then God takes over. The whole thing is like a two-seater car with two people riding it. Clearly, one person alone can drive the car; in the case of life, the two parties are God and the individual concerned. If the individual is ego-dominated, then he gets into the driving seat and hence, as far as he is concerned, God just sits in the adjacent seat and comes along for the ride!

In Vedanta this is described by saying that God acts as the Witness. If, on the other hand, the person surrenders to God leaving everything to Him, then it is like handing over the steering wheel to God and taking the co-passenger seat, leaving the driving to Him. I remember that

back in the old days, the Greyhound bus service in America used to have a slogan that went like: “Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us.†In the

Gita, Krishna says pretty much the same thing, twice, once in Chapter 9, in Sloka 22 and once again in Chapter 18, in Slokas 65 and 66.

In summary, if we have the feeling of doer-ship – this shows up when people congratulate us for success, etc., – then we become accountable for our actions under the Law of

Karma. In this case, God acts purely as a Witness. However, if we surrender totally, and this by the way is not at all easy, then God becomes the driver, and we can escape Karma! Thus, ego-dominated people a priori rule out the doer-ship of God because they claim the doer-ship for many things; for them, God is a mere Witness.

But for those who have surrendered and merged their personality into God, who always say with most humility no matter what they experience in life, both what we say is good and what we describe as unpleasant, happens according to His will – for such people, God sure is the doer, always. In short, God operates both ways, as a DOER and also a WITNESS. For some He is the former, while for the others He is the latter.

In modern logic, we often adopt a yes or no, this or that, black or white, approach. In Vedanta, however, it is not often the case of black and white, this and that, yes and no! That tends to confuse most people who are used to straight and linear logic. Thus, this is not a simple matter and needs some serious thinking-through. I trust I have given you enough food for thought; with that hope, let me bring this deliberation to a close.

Of Divinity and Destiny, and Our Role

For the benefit of those who are familiar with Science, I might add the following remarks. If one peers into a beaker of water and is able to watch the individual molecules, one would find that they move randomly; there is plenty of experimental evidence for this, and a botanist named Robert Brown, nearly two centuries ago first discovered this random motion. In those days, one did not have microscope powerful enough to see individual atoms, but Brown saw that a pollen grain suspended in the beaker was doing random walk.

There is a Divinely-ordained Operating System called the Law of Karma that runs the system; it is rather like a computer running on an OS. And just as there is a designer for the Operator System used in the computer, so also the OS of life, namely the Law of Karma, has a Creator who of course is God.

Brown did not know why this happened and for many decades there were all kinds of theories, until Einstein in 1905, explained the random motion of the pollen grain in terms of random impacts made by atoms that collided with the pollen grain. Shortly after this, Perrin in France completely verified all the predictions made by Einstein, and in fact Perrin’s work gave the first proof that atoms actually existed; till then, not all physicists accepted the existence of atoms, although chemists had no problems with atoms being around. By the way, Perrin was honoured with the Nobel Prize.

Following the confirmation that Perrin provided, it is now a well-accepted fact that individual atoms, especially in liquids and gases, move randomly all the time, of course colliding with each other, if they come in each other’s way.

Now why am I mentioning all this? For a simple reason. Consider say a stream of water flowing fast down a slope.. Clearly, at the macro level, water is flowing in one direction, down the slope. However, at the level of atoms, individual atoms perform random walks. So we have here a fascinating situation; at the macro level, the motion is directed – no question about that. Yet, at the level of the atoms, there is no question that the motion is random. If we put the two together, we get the result that superposed on the random motion of the atom, there is a directed motion which is the result of flow due to the effect of gravity.

To me, life appears to be like that. Yes, God, via Destiny, does ordain the macro direction of our lives. At the same time, by giving our Mind the power of freedom of choice, at the micro level, He allows us to control our Destiny to some extent. I should clarify that when I say that God via Destiny ordains the macro direction of our lives, what I mean is God has ordained the Law of Karma, which takes over and does the job. Thus, in practice, God does not sit at a keyboard and press keys to direct our lives from second to second, keeping accounts of our good deeds and bad deeds. There is a Divinely-ordained Operating System called the Law of Karma that runs the system; it is rather like a computer running on an OS. And just as there is a designer for the Operator System used in the computer, so also the OS of life, namely the Law of Karma, has a Creator who of

course is God.

I am sure you would be bursting with comments to offer, and supplementary questions to ask. Send them all h2h, and we shall do our best to deal with them. Meanwhile, all the best. God bless. Jai Sai Ram.

(To be Continued...)

------

THE PRESENCE OF THE GREATEST POWER

By late Mr. Charles Penn

Born in Australia, Mr. Charles Penn traveled to the USA as a young boy and had a distinguished professional career as a writer, editor and publisher in America, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. He is an honoured biographee in “Who’s Who in Californiaâ€. In 1964 he was drawn to Bhagavan Baba quite amazingly and had the rare opportunity of proximity with His Divine Master, both physically and metaphysically. Later, he along with his wife, Faith Penn, traveled throughout the USA and other countries disseminating the Love and Message of Bhagavan Baba and also authored many sterling Sai literature such as “Sai Ramâ€, “My Beloved†and “Finding Godâ€.

This article appeared in the ‘Homage Volume’ offered to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba by the Sri Sathya Sai University on the auspicious occasion of His 65th birthday celebration on November 23, 1990 at Prasanthi Nilayam.

Ethereal Contact with the Eternal One

Many years ago when I had seldom experienced deep feelings that I could relate to the divine, it was far less likely for me to conceive my ability to see or understand God. Furthermore, for a student seeking divine understanding, as myself, I found it improbable to believe that I might find and have the exceptional privilege to be taught by a supreme power such as the Sai Avatar, Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. Once the initial relationship began there was no hesitation in proclaiming to myself the evident and truthful statement, "I believe!"

The knowledge that a world teacher, Supreme Being, was in a land on the opposite side of the world and who spoke Telugu, a language I did not understand, was never considered an unrealistic obstacle to my becoming His student. However, to be given lessons in English for my spiritual upliftment, at times on a moment to moment basis, and often including long question and answer sessions, became an unexpected and extraordinary practice.

To have time and space cast aside and to have given to me the first four of twenty-five years' tuition on a divine scholarship basis without actually coming into personal contact has been a remarkable and priceless experience for me from Baba, my divine teacher, the "chancellor of a celestial university of higher learning".

What is, is! I discovered that the higher elements are used by Sai Baba. For example, to me His

teachings incorporate full colour scenes played out to the end in heavenly vision form.

Such “vision teachings†remain inscribed in my mind for years and years. An entire play or moving scene may be recalled at a moment's notice and expressed in minute detail so that His teachings can be drawn upon for the upliftment of myself and others. At times, etherealized methods of communication are used, and viewed as a procedure within the higher realm.

A Beautiful Beginning

Mr. Charles Penn

All this came about as a result of my life’s turn-around culminating unexpectedly. It was June 1965, I reached for a small book on a table in the sitting room of my wife to be, Faith, and her mother Althea, at their home in Westwood, California.

Touching that book which was "Sathyam Sivam Sundaram," written by Prof. N. Kasturi, was for me like touching the fingers of God's outstretched hand. That momentary action changed my entire future. A glance at the photographs of Sai Baba as a boy, and looking at pictures of His mother and father, started to weave a web about me, a web I found shortly afterwards so beautifully powerful.

A simple action such as the one I took can vastly change a life. Something to marvel at indeed! If I were to predict the future and were asked what I envisioned for a seeker taking a similar singular action, I feel I would say that from that moment on his or her life could become most wondrous in a way never before contemplated.

As Prof. Kasturi's book unfolded in my mind, I had a desire to prepare a similar book omitting the Sanskrit but incorporating his translations of the Sanskrit. This would provide an American edition of the life of Sai Baba through His fortieth year which could be more easily understood and enjoyed in the West and by all English speaking people.

I wrote to Sai Baba. Can you imagine my writing to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba in India and receiving a letter from Him granting permission to produce the book, with His blessings, and in addition conveying in the letter a wealth of great knowledge?

He endeared Himself with each word: "I am as near you as you are near Me." And, "When the name is remembered, the Form is evoked; when the Form is recollected, the Name is evoked. The name and the Form are inseparable. That is the meaning of Presence…."

Heavenly Wisdom Descends

I lengthened the periods of my meditation to hours and hours a week, and my meditations deepened. I grasped every chance to draw to me the Presence. From around the whole world I was near Him. Geographically, He wrote, there was no barrier. After a while I actually started to feel I was coming nearer and nearer to Him. Whenever I had the courage I would tell Him I was listening. First, ever so silently, I heard words about things I had never thought of in my life.

On a subsequent occasion, in order to remedy a foot problem I had, Sai Baba conveyed to me the instruction to grasp my foot firmly with my hands and, while doing so, to count to a hundred. I was to say His name with each number (one-Sai Baba, two-Sai Baba), I counted. I called it my "Sai Baba Count." In this way I was evoking the name. His Name was on my lips.

His teachings flowed and flowed. So entrenched He became in me, and I in Him. The time arrived when I felt I was "One with Him."

Turning my thoughts back to those glorious spiritual "young" days, I recall a lesson Sai Baba gave me with the inspiring words, "Every time the hand is lifted, lift it for Him." That teaching so infused me that I again wrote to Him and asked for further deeper guidance. He responded in a letter in August 1965: "If you lift the hand to serve, to help, to console, to encourage another man, you are lifting it for God, because in every man is God."

The wisdom of the heavens was surely ascending upon me. "Every man is God!" That was a great revelation to me. "Every man," yes, "every man." Then I knew, for the first time - God has to be everywhere in everything and in everyone.

Now a few months had gone by and I was continuing to be saturated with the Love of Sai Baba. Discourses were undiminishing from wherever He was. I asked Him many questions about many things that might help my spiritual progress.

I asked Him how one should be dressed and prepared for Brahmamarga, the path or way of life adopted by aspiring seekers who set their sights high to realize the Self in their quest for God. Eventually the gaze has to be turned inward to the true Self and the aspirants ascend the pathway to the state of lasting consciousness of God, the Infinite (Brahman).

Sai Baba explained to me that "Before starting on Brahmamarga and commencing your sadhana (spiritual practice), undress, disrobe. But not in the usual manner. The 'clothes' you cast off may vary in number. Some people may be more heavily garmented. Some may have already discarded unwanted 'apparel.' In whatever order you choose, cast off the 'clothing' of jealousy, hate, anger, pride, greed, desire... You know all the others. But you shall not be cold, for there is one 'garment' you leave on. That is the raiment of love. This one piece has many thicknesses to keep you warm and protect you on the coldest of nights. It will survive the greatest of storms, for what is this clothing of love? It is the love of joy, the love of giving, the love of survival, the love of living. Yes, My bhaktha (devotee), this one raiment is all you need when you come to Me in the

quietude and stillness of your meditation, although you do not have to wait until then to come to Me, for I am always near."

Speaking from the Heart

A divine high point was reached when an official invitation was received by mail to attend the First World Conference of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba Seva Organizations, to be held in Mumbai in May 1968. On the midnight of May 9, 1968, I had the great joy to meet my Lord in Human Form, in India. The incredible realization filled me - in four years the Sai Avatar and I had become ever so close. Our love was the same love, and God within God was the same God.

Fortunate to be at His Lotus Feet

The knowledge that two people could inwardly communicate from one side of the world to the other was now less overwhelming - God unto God without physically traversing the world. Many other devotees know that this is possible and are able to rest in the knowledge that they can become One with the Lord. When the Sai Avatar makes it known that the divine contact is intact, devotees have the capability to rise to this higher realization. Achieving this goal overcomes many doubts and misgivings previously generated in the mind.

In appreciation for being given this boon, I have thanked Sai Baba for it on numerous occasions, including those when speaking from time to time to devotees attending Sai centers, conferences, retreats, and special occasions here and abroad.

He has shown me the folly of reading from notes or from a prepared script. In my experience, everything spoken which one wishes to be efficacious must first be fully entrenched in the heart. How better can it be said than when it emanates from one's heart?

Sai Baba has taught me to speak in this manner. When invited by Sai Baba to speak, and after basking in the joy of performing padanamaskar, I look up to Him and whisper, "I'll need your help, Swami." By this time inner joy has taken hold of the glorious moment as I hear Him say, "Yes, yes!"

There was the occasion of His fifty-seventh Birthday when, after the honor of garlanding Him, He whispered, "Char less (as he calls me), you would like to say a few words?Yes, yes, Swami," I replied. Rather slowly I approached the microphone at the podium. This brought me to a moment of great exhilaration. I faced the crowded Poornachandra Auditorium overwhelmed by His faith in me and my own inner feeling of His assurance. Simultaneously I was also fully aware that I had no preplanned speech, no great salient point I wanted to stress. The freedom from all this made the joy of the moment ever so precious. I looked at the vast audience, glanced lovingly at Swami, and His smile filled the moment. It is at times such as these that I know the seemingly long and precious moments serve their full purpose. I received a flashed inner direction

from Him. "Seek the 'thread'." Just a small starting thread is needed to begin.

Baba - The Most Enigmatic Teacher

One requires deep insight to believe that our divine teacher, actually and ethereally, has thousands of students. I am astounded when I attempt to comprehend that the Avatar is simultaneously teaching students in all languages the world over.

In this regard, during one of our visits to Prasanthi Nilayam, Sai Baba was granting interviews to a number of devotees in the Mandir, as is His practice almost every day. From our floor vantage point, just feet away and behind a curtain Sai Baba was talking to a young man from Spain.

Sai Baba's stream of words flowed at an extremely fast pace. Later, outside, I met the man and mentioned to him, "How amazing it is that Swami can talk to devotees in any language.

His talk to you, in Spanish, flowed incessantly, and you undoubtedly clung intently to each word." (We speak some Spanish and can recognize it.) The man looked at me in amazement and said, "He spoke to me in English!"

Reflecting, I say, "How Great Thou Art!" Here is a teacher who astounds and uplifts His students worldwide, assisting and blessing them in multitudinous ways. I look momentarily at myself, and with deep gratitude I see myself being transformed by Him, writing about the world's greatest power - the Sai Avatar.

Dear Reader, did this article inspire you in any way? Would you like more such stories from devotees who have been touched by His Love?

---------------

CHINNA KATHA

THE POTENT POWER OF DEVOTION

Once in Calcutta (now Kolkata), in the Kali temple constructed by Queen Rasmani, an idol of Lord Krishna fell down and the foot of the Lord was broken a little.

Since many elders declared that according to the scriptures a broken image should not be worshipped, the Queen made arrangements to get a new one made by sculptors.

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa heard of this and he reproached the Queen, saying: "Maharani (Your Highness, the Queen), if your son-in-law breaks his leg, what will you do? What is the correct thing to do? Bandaging the foot and setting it right, or discarding the son-in-law and getting another instead?" The elders and pundits were dumb-founded; the broken foot of Lord Krishna was set right and the image was installed and worshipped as before. When devotion is purified and is ascendant, the Lord will be patent even in a broken idol. This too is the dharma (right conduct) declared in the scriptures.

- Baba

Illustrations: Mrs. Vidya, Kuwait--------

KOBE CENTERS PROGRAM SCHEDULE

Place : l.S.S. 2nd Fl. 1-3, Kumochi 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe

(Tel: 078-222-1885) Home Page

MAP

Bhajans

Bhajan Practice

Study Circle

every Sun 4:00-5:00pmevery Thur 7:30-830pm

1st,5th Sun 2:00-3:40pm 2nd Sun 2:00-3:20pm3rd,4th Sun 2:30-3:40pm every Thur 7:00-7:20pm

2nd Sun 5:30-6:30pm (English)4th Sun 5:30-6:30 (Japanese) 2nd Sun 3:40-3:55 (Gayatri Chanting)

Ladies Programme

3rd,5th Sun 5:30-6:30pm

Youth Programme

3rd Sun 0:30-2:20pm 2nd Sun in odd months 5:30-6:15pm(Study Circle)1st Sun in even months 0:30-1:50

Seva

Aisei-en (Orphanage home): 3rd Sun 9:30-11:30amNarayana Seva: 2nd,4th Sun 10:00-11:30am, 1st, 3rd Thur 9:00-10:00pm

Veda Club

Veda clup is held on every 4th Sunday after Bhajans.

Study Circle in (Japanese) is held on every 2nd Sunday on 1st fl.

Subscribe/Un information: (Free copy)

To , please send your request to

rgcjp

To , please type “REMOVE†on the subject line and send to

rgcjp

-----------------------

SAI CENTERS: KOBE, YOKOHAMA, OSAKA, SAPPORE,HAMAMATSU

OKINAWA, CHIBA, NAGOYA, TOKYO & KYOTO.'

SAI BHAJAN GROUPS.: OBIHIRO, SAITAMA, SHIZUOKA, KITAKYUSHU, MORIOKA

TAMA, NARA, FUKUOKA, TOHOKU, NAGANO, IWAKUNI,

HIROSHIMA, KAGOSHIMA, GUNMA, KANAZAWA, KAGAWA..

Note: Some schedules are subject to change.

Please contact respective centers and groups for information.

......................................................................................................

In this issue

1. Swami's Message

2. Mushing on Avatars Part-3 Prof G.V

3. The Source of all Prosperity Divine discourse

4. Sathya Sai Speaks...Education for Examplari Life

5. The Divine Story of Shirdi Baba

6. Conversation With Sai Prof A.K

7.How I handelded my temper by Bencarson

8.All about Karma

9.The Presence of Greatest Power by Charles

10. Chinna Katha The Potent Power of devotion.----------------

Sairam Sir Your article was interesting and it was encourging to note about the

hospital. A wonderful this tops was eye opening as doctors are helping.

Your Kan.Sai Light is a full of swami's love.

Regards,

Sai Devotee J.R

-----------

Dear Ram

Thanks for the ejournal...interesting and inspiring.

I am leaving for HagueConference on private International Law in 10 days

will be back

Our desination is the same for all Sai devotees, but we are engaged on

differnt routes ti reach the same God.

Loves

Anita

Sai Ram Saeen Chugani Saheb,

Thanks so much for Baba,s darshans early in the morning through your

Kansa.Light sept issue.

Appreciate your service at the feet of Baba

Prem Sadani

----------------------------

Sai Ram Brother

I wanted to thank you for your divine mails which we all enjoy reading

Kansai.Light and feel very close to Swami. Thank you and Swami,s blessings to you always.

Sister Sunanda AnandAmbika

-----------------------

Please write us @

rgcjp mentioning your name and country

Thank you for your time.

Sai Ram

-----------------

Ram ChuganiKobe, Japan