IndiaDivine.org

Buddha's Gospel of the Good Life (Budha's Teachings)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Buddha's Gospel of the Good LifeIn Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba's own words Compiled by Rameesh & Ananda Kasturi Offered with lots of love and happiness at the Lotus feet of our beloved Swami, on the occassion of Buddhapoornima on 30.05.1999 Contents I. CHILDHOOD II. BUDDHA'S TEACHINGS III. UNDER THE BODHI TREE IV. THE NOBLE TRUTH TAUGHT BY BUDDHA V. LAST MOMENTS OF THE ENLIGHTENED ONE VI. THE DHAMMAPADA, THE VEDAS AND SATHYA SAI BABA VII. THE BRAHMIN - A POEM VIII. THE FIVE HUMAN VALUES IX. SATHYA SAI ABOUT SATHYA SAI AND 'SANATHANA DHARMA' X. USEFUL INFORMATIONS XI. BIBLIOGRAPHY XII. INDEX OF QUOTATIONS II. BUDDHA'S TEACHINGS Contents "Buddha said: "When I left the palace, my father (the king) was told that I was doing a great wrong in renouncing the family. My parents, kinsmen

and others tried to put pressure on me to return to the ties of family life. These wrong efforts on their side made me more determined to pursue the spiritual path. In the quest for spiritual peace several ordeals have to be overcome. Today I have found the Truth about life. What is it? The sanctification of the five senses is the way to Truth. If the senses are polluted, of what avail are spiritual exercises? When the water in a tank is polluted, all taps will only give polluted water. Your heart is the tank. When it is filled with good thoughts and feelings, all that comes out of the senses - your speech, your vision, your actions - will be pure." 2 S.S.B. "Buddha undertook various enquiries to discover the Divine and came to the conclusion that only through mastery over his senses he can achieve Divinity. Hence, Buddha declared that the first requisite is Samyag-darsanam (Having the

right vision). The implication of this statement is that, having been bestowed with the great gift of eyes, man should use them for seeing sacred objects and holy beings. What one sees influences the feelings in the heart. The state of the heart determines the nature of one's thoughts. The thoughts influence one's speech and one's life. This was the first lesson Buddha taught." 3 S.S.B. "Buddha wandered all over the country in search of spiritual peace and liberation. After many years of enquiry he came to the conclusion that the secret of spiritual wisdom was not to be attained from scholars or by study. He realised that spiritual understanding could only come by mastering the senses. From developing sacred vision, man has to proceed to Samyag-vachanam (Sacred Speech). Buddha declared that only sacred

thoughts can lead to sacred speech and that the tongue should not be used recklessly to utter whatever one thinks. The tongue has been given to speak the Truth, to expatiate on what is sacred and pure. The tongue has not been given to man to pamper the palate with delicious sweets. It is not given for talking as one likes. It is not to be used for causing displeasure to others. Nor is it to be used for indulging in falsehood. The tongue has been given to man to speak the Truth, to be sweet to others, to praise the Divine and enjoy the bliss derived from such sacred speech." 4 S.S.B. "Never speak harsh words; Let not bitter words Escape thy lips any time; Keep them far away." Yajur Veda, 5.8 "Buddha emphasised goodness in action (Samyag-Karma). The mark of good action is harmony in thought, word and deed. He also declared that good action is conducive to good spiritual progress, which is called Samyag-Saadhana. Good deeds constitute genuine spirituality. When spiritual striving of this nature has been completed, Samyag-Jivanam (leading a pure life) is achieved. This is how the five organs of perception, the Panchendriyas, should be used to reach the supreme goal of life. Good vision, good thoughts, good speech, good deeds and good spiritual endeavour are the pre-requisites for a good life, which is called Samyag-Jivanam." 6 S.S.B. Sri Sathya Sai Baba explains to His

devotees: "In spite of many efforts and spiritual Sadhana, one is not able to attain realisation of divinity because the vision is not good. Buddha investigated into this very deeply and found out in the end that the mind is the stumbling block for progress towards realisation. He became 'Amanaska', that is, he eliminated the obstacles of the mind and attained Nirvana or Liberation. He realised the Atma. How to get rid of this mind? You can do this only by directing your attention to the intellect and start discriminating as to what is eternal and what is ephemeral." 7 S.S.B. In the same speech Sri Sathya Sai Baba said: "You should be hollow inside, that is beyond feelings and desires. You have to proceed beyond the mind. Buddha contemplated for six years before he could achieve this: 'Buddhigrahyam Atheendriyam'. He went beyond the body, mind and intellect to realise the Atma." 8

S.S.B. and on another occasion He explained: "When you ignore the body and the mind, you will understand your true nature, the Atmic Principle in you. When you have realised this basic truth, you can carry on all your daily activities and do your duties in a spirit of edication." 9 S.S.B. SaiSewak, Bear all and do nothing;Hear all and say nothing;Give all and take

nothing;Serve all and be nothing.

Love shopping? Click here to find the best shops in every city.