IndiaDivine.org

...KANSAI LIGHT NEWS LETTER FOR APRIL ISSUE...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

KANSAI LIGHT APRIL , 2008. ISSUE News letter of Sri Sathya Sai Organization Japan address: I.S.S, 2nd Fl, 1-3, Kumochi 5-Chome, Chuo Ku Kobe Tel: 078-222-1885, Email: rgcjp (Please print this copy for your reference) ................................................................................................................................. And the two became One God is in youe heart, whreever you go and whatever you do, is is known to God even if you think none has noticed it. People start worrying about petty temporary things which are like passing clouds and sometimes falter in faith and devotion. This is not correct. You should never give up devotion. Your good work will get God'd grace without fail. Sin or

merit comes only from your own deeds, not outside. ------------------.... ACT XIII - SCENE 3 After this scorpion incident, there was a great change in Sathya. He seemed withdrawn and lost in spiritual contemplation. Sometimes, He would speak of places and pilgrim centres He had never visited and give graphic descriptions too! Though He had never been to Shirdi, He would speak about that place. Sathya continued to go to school but brother Seshama Raju was much worried about the change that had come in Him. Seshama wrote a letter to his parents about these changes. And then… The scene is Venkama Raju’s house in Puttaparthi. Kondama Raju is also present. VENKAMA RAJU: Our Seshama has written a letter. EASWARAMMA: Is that so? What has Seshama written?………. What does he say about Sathyam? VEKAMA RAJU:

Easwari, it seems Sathyam was stung by a scorpion. EASWARAMMA: What did you say? Sathyam bitten by a scorpion?! My God! What happened? How is He? VEKAMA RAJU: Don’t get excited Easwari, nothing will happen to Him. SISTER: Scorpion bite is itself very dangerous! Father, can there be a greater danger? VENKAMA RAJU: Don’t get worried, my dear. Snakes and scorpions are common in villages, and it is natural for them to bite. EASWARAMMA: Are you suggesting that being stung by a scorpion is a natural occurrence? How lightly you speak! If my child is bitten by a scorpion, will I not feel anguish? VENKAMA RAJU: Easwari, do I also not feel agony? But tell me, what can we do? He is there and we are here. EASWARAMMA: Has Seshama written anything about how Sathyam is now? VENKAMA RAJU: After herbal treatment by the doctor, Sathyam is moving about normally. But…… EASWARAMMA: But? What has happened? What does Seshama say? THE TWO SISTERS: Father, what happened? VENKAMA RAJU: There is a peculiar change in Sathyam’s behaviour. Apparently He speaks a lot to Himself, recites the Puranas, keeps waving His hands, and speaks generally in a philosophical manner. EASWARAMMA: Let’s go to Uravakonda immediately! I HAVE to see my Sathyam! It does not matter if He does not study further. It is enough if my child is with me! KONDAMA RAJU: My dear, there is no need to be so agitated. Scorpions and centipedes cannot do any harm to Him. Sathyam is born for a special purpose. He is beyond all these worldly disturbances. VENKAMA RAJU: Easwari, don’t you realise that right from the beginning, our Sathyam has always been different from the rest? That is His nature. EASWARAMMA: I don’t know about all that. I feel very frightened, and I have to go to Uravakonda immediately! I have to see my son, I have to see

Him! KONDAMA RAJU: Alright my dear, alright. Go and come back. Over there, they too must be scared; so, go and pay a visit………..Please go. SCENE 4 Seshama Raju’s house in Uravakonda. Sathya has regained consciousness. SATHYA: Poison entered and drove out illusion. Worldly bonds and attachments are obstacles to the higher worlds. The body is temporary, and the Atma alone is Eternal! SESHAMA: He is speaking in a most strange manner – must be the result of the poison. Although speaking queerly is not new to Him, today His speech is full of high philosophy. SUSEELA: You wrote to your mother and father but they have not come yet. So why don’t you write again and send the letter through someone? SESHAMA RAJU: I was thinking the same, and shall do so immediately. SATHYA: There is no need to write the letter; in half an hour, the lady of the house will be here. SESHAMA RAJU: The lady of the house? Whom are You referring to in that manner? SATHYA: The mother who gave birth to both of us is the lady of the house. SESHAMA RAJU: Our mother?……….. How do You know she is coming soon? SATHYA: Well, that’s the way it is! Venkama Raju and Easwaramma come to Seshama’s house. SUSEELA: [to Seshama] Mother and Father are coming, exactly as Sathyam said! SESHAMA: Mother! EASWARAMMA: Seshama! SESHAMA RAJU: Mother, come. He is over there. Father! VENKAMA RAJU: Sathyam, what happened? EASWARAMMA: Sathyam my boy, how are You feeling? Where did the scorpion sting You? Did it pain a lot? SATHYA: Mother, the pain is for the body and not the mind. For the mind, everything is an illusion; you too are an illusion! EASWARAMMA: My boy! SESHAMA RAJU: Sathyam, that is not an illusion; that is our mother! SATHYA: Mother and father, brother and sister, all are the children of God and all are same to

Me. EASWARAMMA: Sathyam! What are You saying! SATHYA: Sathya [Truth] is My Name, Dharma [Righteousness] is My Body, and Prema [Love] is My Form! SESHAMA RAJU: Mother, now you have heard all His great philosophy! This is the way He speaks. EASWARAMMA: Sathyam, unlike other people, I only thought that You were different from the rest. But what is this? You are speaking of things far beyond Your age! What has happened to You my boy?! Seshama, what’s all this? SESHAMA RAJU: That’s the effect of the poison, mother; but don’t worry, for it will all go away with the medicine. EASWARAMMA: No, no! I will take Sathyam with me to Puttaparthi, and have Him treated there. I will not leave Him here. I cannot leave my Sathyam here! SUSEELA

[to husband]: It is better to do as your mother says. Perhaps a change of place would do good. SESHAMA RAJU: Mother, what you say is true. Do as you wish. VENKAMA RAJU: Seshama, make arrangements immediately for our return journey. SESHAMA RAJU: Yes father. SCENE 5 Sathya is back in Puttaparthi in His parent’s place. The whole family is gathered there. Kondama Raju is also present. EASWARAMMA: Venkamma, Parvathamma, I have brought Sathyam home! KONDAMA RAJU: My dear, you have brought Sathyam with you? EASWARAMMA: Yes, father-in-law. VENKAMMA [sister]: Well brother, are You alright? SATHYA: I am OK, sister. VENKAMMA [sister]: Where did the scorpion sting? SATHYA: On the leg. PARVATHAMMA [sister]: Isit paining now? SATHYA: No, the pain went away long ago. VENKAMA RAJU: But there is a mysterious change in His behaviour – He is talking too much philosophy! KONDAMA RAJU: It was so right from the

beginning, wasn’t it? VENKAMA RAJU: Tomorrow, we must have Him examined by a good doctor. KONDAMA RAJU: Come here and take this fruit. It is Praasadam. SATHYA: Grandfather, do you know what this fruit symbolises? The outer skin represents Maya or illusion. The fruit inside represents the human body, and the sweet taste represents the Atma. Maya engulfs the body and eclipses the Atma! (To be continued) .... The Same Baba: Shirdi Sai and Sathya Sai Smt. Sharada Devi (affectionately called as 'Pedda Bottu' by Baba) is one of those few privileged souls who had the unique chance of being in the proximity of both Shirdi Sai and Sathya Sai. Here she narrates how Shirdi Baba had revealed to her about His

future Advent and how later Sathya Sai blessed her profusely: One day I requested Baba (Shirdi Sai) to give me Mantra Upadesh (spiritual initiation). Baba replied, "You are young yet. I will give you Upadesh when you grow older". I waited till I was 29 years old and prayed to Baba again. He shouted at me in anger: "You are always obsessed with Upadesh". With tears of dejection streaming down my face, I went out and lay beneath a tree. I must have slept after weeping for a long time. It must have been very late in the night when Baba came to wake me up. He asked me to follow him to Lendi Garden. When we reached the Garden, He said "My child, I could not sleep in Dwaraka Mayi (the dilapidated Masjid, and Baba's dwelling) when you were lying out there without food since morning. I have brought you here, for, I want to tell you something, but first you must eat." He stretched out

His right hand with palm up and said "Allah Malik hai". (God is the master). Two chapattis (wheat pancakes) and a lemon sized-kova (soft solid sweet made of milk) materialized in His palm. He gave them to me to eat. Again He stretched out His hand and this time a very small mud pot full of water materialized. When I ate and drank, he asked me: "Gori, is your anger gone?" (Baba used to affectionately call Sharada Devi, 'Gori') Baba then told me "I will tell you something, but before that you should hold My feet and promise Me not to tell this to anyone". With pounding heart and anticipating the much awaited Mantra-Upadesh, I did as he told me, "Gori, I will appear in Andhra with the same name of Sai Baba

but in another Avatar (divine manifestation). Then again you will come to me. I will keep you with me and will give you joy". This conversation between us took place in 1917 AD. SHIRDI SAI left the body in 1918. One day, many years later, I was invited to sing a 'Hari Katha' (a form of ballad popular in rural areas of Andhra Pradesh) in a village called Uravakonda. In the house where this event was arranged, I happened to see on the wall a photograph of a handsome lad. He had a large crown of hair. The face and eyes were most charming and magnetic. I asked the housewife whose photo it was. She told me "Don't you know? He is Puttaparthi Sai Baba. If you want to see him, I can take you to him tomorrow". The next day I was taken to the house of one Mr. Seshama Raju, the elder brother of Baba. I then saw the young 14-year-old Baba. It was in 1940; I was then fifty-two years old. The first words that Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba uttered were: "Gori, you owe me sixteen rupees from my Shirdi Incarnation". I replied that I had already paid up all my debts to Shirdi Baba. He said, "I know. I said it because you are not able to recognise me. All right. After completing all your tasks at the Poor Home you are running, go over to Puttaparthi. I shall retain you with me and shall bestow all the joy you want". For the next seventeen years, I used to visit Puttaparthi frequently and spend a few months every time in the divine presence of Baba. In 1958, when I was 70, I closed down the Poor Home and went over to Puttaparthi to spend the rest of my life there. If you wish

to / get previously sent experiences, you may send a mail. ---------------- .. Divine DiscoursePrashanti Nilayam, 6th March 2008Occasion: Maha Shivarathri (First Divine Discourse) ___________ A True and Real Life is One thatis Suffused with Love Bhagawan delivering His Divine Discourse on 6th March 2008 Right from the time from getting up till going to bed, people struggle to acquire wealth. They spend all their mental and physical energy on amassing wealth. They undergo many difficulties in the process. Their mind is confused, and Divinity is forgotten. It is an endless struggle. What kind of peace, pleasure, and comfort can one enjoy in this struggle for wealth? (Telugu poem) Embodiments of Love! Today, the entire world revolves around money. Right from a student to a vegetable vendor, everyone runs after money. Not withstanding their education and social strata, people consider pursuit of money as their be-all and end-all in life. Strangely, even a small proportion of struggle that people willingly undergo in acquiring wealth is not to be found in the pursuit of Divinity. God is the protector and saviour of all in this world. One may be a millionaire or a billionaire, yet one cannot live without God. There are very few individuals who recognize God as the source and

sustenance for all beings. Also, there are very few who contemplate on God. That is why the sadhana (spiritual practice) of community singing (bhajan) has been initiated. There may be a few among the group whose mind is distracted during the bhajan and who do not chant the divine name with proper bhava (feeling), raga (tune), and thala (rhythm). Still, by and large, people concentrate and contemplate on the divine name during the bhajan session. Waves are many but water is the same. Similarly, Divinity permeates all human beings irrespective of their thoughts and feelings. Beings may be many, yet the same Divinity permeates all living beings. "Ekatma sarvabhuthantharath ma" (one Atma dwells in all beings). Ekam sath viprah bahudha vadanti (truth is

one, but the wise refer to it by various names). Those who struggle to uphold Truth are the real devotees. The essence of all Vedas lies in establishing this truth. Unfortunately, today, people who recognise such an eternal truth are not to be found anywhere. One should not forsake Truth. When sathya (truth) and dharma (righteousness) come together, there will be santhi (peace) and prema (love). In fact, sathya is the basis for all other human values, namely, dharma, santhi, prema, and ahimsa (nonviolence) . Embodiments of Love! Prema (love) does not descend from somewhere. It emerges from the hearts of people. A human being cannot live without love. Love assumes different forms in keeping with the relationship between two individuals — husband and wife, mother and child, between two friends, etc. But, basically, prema remains as the same undercurrent in all human beings. If a question is raised as to where God is, it can be said that God permeates all beings in the form of love. A true and real life is one that is suffused with love. Life devoid of love is not worth living. Love is the source of all virtues and all virtues merge in love. Brahman is only one and is all-pervasive. Whenever someone enquires about your name, you have to reply "Aham Brahmasi (I am Brahman). I have no other name." All worldly names are given to you for the purpose of identification. It is said, "Brahma Sathyam, jaganmithya" (Brahman alone is Truth, and the entire world is illusory). To realise the nature of Brahman, one must become Brahman. All names like Rama, Krishna, Govinda, Narayana, etc., merge in Brahman. If only you contemplate on Brahman, you will be able to realise the omnipresence of Brahman. You may call anyone by any name, for Brahman is present in all of them. Every human being has to contemplate on Brahman. The nature

of Divinity is described thus: Nityanandam, Parama Sukhadam, Kevalam Jnanamurtim, Dwandwateetam, Gagana Sadrisham, Tattwamasyadi Lakshyam, Ekam, Nityam, Vimalam, Achalam, Sarvadhee Sakshibhutam (God is the embodiment of eternal bliss, He is wisdom absolute, beyond the pair of opposites, expansive and pervasive like the sky, the goal indicated by the aphorismTattwamasi (I am That), One without a second, eternal, pure, unchanging, witness of all functions of the intellect). While coming into this hall, I saw Eswaramma and Pedda Venkama Raju (Swami's parents). Even at this moment, they are very much here. Pedda Venkama Raju wore a yellow coloured dhoti, while Eswaramma wore a yellow coloured sari. The reason

for this colour is that they now reside in Vaikunta, the Abode of Lord Vishnu. Everyone in Vaikunta wears a yellow colour dress. Not only Myself, even Satyajit, who sleeps in My room, has seen Easwaramma wearing a yellow coloured sari. Women who wear yellow saris are forever sumangalis (ever auspicious). The principle of Brahman is represented by the colour yellow. That is why Lord Vishnu is described as Pithambara dhari, or the Lord who wears a yellow robe. Today, I wanted to bring out a yellow lingam from My body. But all the students, staff, and devotees prayed

"Swami, You need not bring out a lingam from Your body. We cannot bear to witness the physical suffering You undergo while You bring out the lingam. Please accept our prayer and make us happy." Whatever I will, it will happen. Whereas human nature constantly undergoes change, My divine nature is changeless and eternal. No one can decipher such divine nature. The cosmic dance performed by Lord Siva in Kailas is described thus: "Lord Siva is lost in ecstasyParameswara, SambaSiva is lost in ecstasy,Dancing and dancing the thandava

danceWith the divine sage Narada accompanying on thampura and The Lord's matted locks shining brilliantly. Wielding the Trident, Siva is dancing Thadhim, Thadhim, Thadhim Thadhimthaka ||Lord Siva||With Goddess Saraswathi playing veena and Indra the flute,Lord Vishnu on Mridanga, Dhimi Dhimi Dhimi Dhimithaka ||Lord Siva||With Ganges in the matted locks, the third eye in the foreheadAnd crystal beads round the neck shining brilliantly Lord Siva is lost in ecstasy Dancing and dancing the cosmic

dance." ||Lord Siva|| Once, when Siva and Parvati were moving about in the sky, they saw a person cutting the branch of a tree on which he was sitting. As he was on the verge of falling, Parvati prayed to Siva to save him, "Oh Lord, Please save him when he falls on the ground." But Siva said to Parvati, "It is you who saw him first. It is you again who realised that he would die when he falls down. So it is your responsibility to save him." Parvati replied, "Dear Lord, when

someone falls on the ground, he will utter either amma(mother) or appa (father). If this man utters amma, then I will save him, but if he utters appa, you should save him." Easwara agreed to this proposal. As the branch broke, both Siva and Parvati came forward to save him. But while falling, this man did not utter either amma or appa; he said, ayyo! (alas!). Though both Siva and Parvati were waiting to save him, he did not call them. The moral of the story is that we should always remember our

parents. One who does not remember the parents even in times of difficulty is really a fool. Lord Easwara and Mother Parvati are the universal parents. If one constantly remembers them, one will not encounter any difficulty or suffering. Unfortunately, today, people do not remember their parents. That is why they are denied protection. Rama's Divinity blossomed under Kausalya's loving care;Because of the tender feelings and austerity of Sita,Lava and Kusha achieved name and fame;Fostered with the love of his mother, Putlibai, Gandhi became a Mahatma;The loving care of Jijabai made Sivaji a great warrior. (Telugu poem) First and foremost, one has to remember one's mother

always. Easwaramma represents the divine motherhood. She is the mother of Easwara. Similarly, Venkama means the Lord of the seven hills. Thus, Pedda Venkamaraju and Easwaramma together represent the Divine parents. Today, both of them reside in Vaikunta. There are three Sai Avatars. The first was Shirdi Sai, the second is Sathya Sai, and the third to come is Prema Sai. Prema Sai will be the most important Avatar, because He will unite the entire humanity. You all know that it is Prema (principle of love) that unites all! Unfortunately, today you do not find ekathwa (unity) anywhere. Wherever you see, there is only

bhinnathwa (differences and diversity). Where there is love, there will be unity. Then all people will be united, regardless of caste, culture, and country. Suppose someone asks where you come from; you will reply that you come from such and such state. But the truth is that all people belong to one country and one world. You should feel proud to proclaim that you belong to the country of Bharath. Bharath is the home of all people in the world. In fact, Prasanthi Nilayam has become the home of all people in the world. In the Ramayana story, King Dasaratha performed the Puthrakameshti Yajna with a desire to have sons. The God of

fire, rising from the homakunda (sacrificial pit), handed over to King Dasaratha a vessel filled with sacred pudding, and Dasaratha distributed it equally amongst his three wives. Kausalya and Kaikeyi took their share of pudding to their respective puja rooms. Each of them was happy, thinking that her son would be the future king of Ayodhya. But Sumitra had no such expectations. She carried her bowl of pudding to the terrace and placed it on the parapet wall, while drying her hair in the sun. Suddenly, an eagle swooped down and carried away the bowl of sacred pudding. She immediately ran down and informed Kausalya and Kaikeyi about what had happened. Kausalya and Kaikeyi came to Sumitra's rescue and shared their portion of pudding with her. Kaikeyi gave half of her share to Sumithra, and Kausalya did the same. In due course, Kausalya gave birth to Rama, Kaikeyi to Bharatha and Sumitra to Lakshmana and Satrughna. Sumitra was a paragon of virtues. Her name itself signifies that she was a good friend to one and all! One day, Sumitra was thinking to herself, "Rama deserves to be crowned King of Ayodhya, since He is the eldest among the sons. Or else, Bharatha should be crowned King as per the promise made by King Dasaratha to Kaikeyi. My two sons, Lakshmana and Sathrughna, should serve their elder brothers — Lakshmana to serve Rama and Sathrugna to serve Bharatha." Thus, all three wives of King Dasaratha, namely, Kausalya, Sumitra, and

Kaikeyi, and also their sons lived in unity and love. In keeping with the noble traditions and ideals set out in Ramayana, we should always maintain unity and brotherhood. If only we are able to cultivate these two, we can be good friends to one and all. In the Ramayana and Mahabharatha, unity and spirituality were projected as the ideal qualities to be emulated by all. A few years ago when I visited East Africa, I told them that I came from India. The then President of Uganda, Idi Amin, further queried as to which state I came from. I reiterated that I came from India. I emphatically told him that entire India represents only one country. If all people cultivate such noble principles, the country as well as the people living in it will prosper. Very soon, the entire country of Bharath will be united and all

differences will subside. It is of utmost importance that all the people be united and live like brothers and sisters. This principle of unity shall be propagated in every nook and corner of the country. The languages people speak, the individual vocation, and the education they pursue may be different. But all should practise the principle of one country, one caste, and one culture. It is only because these aspects are treated as different now that differences arise among people. The important message of this festival is that the country of Bharath shall be united. It should be the endeavour of people to treat it so. Embodiments of Love! Wherever you go, proudly proclaim that you belong to the country of Bharath, you speak the language of Bharath ,and you follow the culture of Bharath. Believe in the principle of unity. Develop faith in the principle of unity, and live accordingly. The country, caste, and culture — all the three must merge into one. Then only will the country progress. Bharath, the name of our country, signifies the message of Bha (meaning God) and rathi (meaning love). Therefore, Bharath is the country where people develop love for God. This Truth has always to be borne in mind. (Bhagawan sang the bhajan "Hari Bhajana Bina Sukha Santhi Nahi") Whoever wishes to have santhi (peace), must participate in bhajan. Bhajan is the only sadhana (spiritual exercise) that confers peace on an individual. Sivarathri, 6 March 2008Sai Kulwant Hall, Prasanthi Nilayam ---------------------.. Divine DiscoursePrashanti Nilayam, 7th March 2008Occasion: Maha Shivarathri (Second Divine Discourse) ___________ Cultivate Good Thoughts and NobleFeelings in your Heart Bhagawan granting His Divine Discourse on 7th March 2008 Karma is responsible for birth, existence, and death. It holds sway over all stages of life as the very deity of human existence. It is responsible for joy and sorrow.(Telugu

Poem) Karma (action) is the very life breath of a human. Every human being has to undertake karma keeping in mind the possible result of the karmas. This is the most important duty of a human being. As the karma, so will be the result. One has to keep good health, not merely physical health but mental health too. His thoughts and resolutions should also be healthy. Good thoughts result in good karmas. When one undertakes karmas with evil thoughts, the result will also be bad. Who made the bats to hang from the branches of a tree with their heads downward? Has anyone tied them upside down out of hatred? No, it is their fate. Likewise, nobody can escape from the consequences of karma. A human being does bad karmas, entertains bad thoughts, and ultimately encounters bad results. On the other hand, one who entertains good thoughts and undertakes good karmas enjoys good results. It is not possible to get good results by doing bad deeds. A small example: when you write correct answers for the questions in an examination, you will get good marks, and vice versa. Undertaking bad deeds denotes animalistic tendency. One has to analyze at every stage whether one is behaving like a human being or an animal. When you indulge in

bad deeds, even your neighbours will restrain you, saying, "Being born as a human, why do you behave like an animal?" Thus, one is ridiculed and punished even by a fellow human being. When you resort to evil deeds, you need not have to wait for long till God decides to punish you. The result of your evil deeds accrues to you from yourself. "By doing a bad deed, a good result cannot be achieved;By doing a good deed, bad results will not accrue; Having planted a lime sapling, can you obtain a mango fruit?By planting a mango sapling, can you get a lime fruit?"(Telugu poem) Human beings have to realise that they is born to undertake good

deeds only. The word ‘manava' (human being) has profound meaning. It consists of three letters: ‘ma' (means ignorance), ‘na' (means without), ‘va' (means to conduct). Thus, one who conducts oneself without ignorance is a ‘manava' (human being). Having been born as a human being, one has to conduct oneself accordingly. When the crows caw, we chase them away by throwing a stone at them. On the other hand, when a parrot speaks small words sweetly, we hear them with joy. We are never tired of hearing a cuckoo bird singing. What does all this signify? By our sweet words and good behaviour, we make ourselves endearing to all. Human

beings have to help their fellow human beings. "Help ever; hurt never." Even though we are aware of this maxim, we do harm to others knowingly. That is the greatest mistake. Humans have been endowed with a reasoning faculty. The mind can be employed in both good and bad ways. That is why it is said, Manah eva manushyanam karanam bandhamokshayo (mind is the cause for bondage and liberation of man). The mind is a gift of God to a human being. It is not the real nature of a human being to abuse, make fun of, or hurt others. Even animals are helping human beings in ever so many ways. Thus, what greatness lies in a human being helping a fellow human being? Having been born as human beings, we must conduct ourselves accordingly and love all as our brothers and sisters. We must undertake such activities to

please to God. Then only will our human birth be sanctified. God resides in all. Daivam manusha rupena(God incarnates in the form of a human being). When God incarnates in human form, we should obey His divine command. It is said Jantunam nara janma durlabham (out of all living beings, human birth is the rarest). We should not waste such a precious human birth. We will be losing our humanness by speaking untruth, causing injustice to others and undertaking bad deeds. A human being has to behave as a human being by following the principle, "see good, do good, and be good." Some people appear to be good cast evil looks on others. That is not good. Manasyekamvachasyek am, karmanyekam

mahatmanam,Manasyanyath vachasyanyath, karmanyanyath duratmanam.(Those whose thoughts, words and deeds are in perfect harmony are noble ones; those who lack harmony of these are wicked.) There must be harmony between one's thoughts, words, and deeds. When there is unity between these three, there will be purity. Where there is purity, there is Divinity. Whatever others do to you, consider it as good for you. See that you do not lose your humanness under any circumstances. In fact, humanness is your most valuable property. "Love all and serve all". Then only you can lead a healthy and happy life. Do not eat junk food or

food that is prohibited. You have to partake good, sathwic food that is offered first to God. You don't offer all sorts of food to God, do you? Sathwic food that is prepared in a clean vessel with pure feelings is offered to God. The food so offered to God has to be partaken as prasadam (sanctified food). Good food brings good health, and from good health arises good thoughts. Unfortunately, today there is dichotomy between our thoughts, words, and deeds. We say something and do something else. Once, a person pretending to be an ascetic came to a house and begged for food. The housewife told him, "Please go to the river, finish your bath, and come back. In the meantime, I will prepare food for you". The ‘ascetic' was by nature a lazy fellow. He told her ,"Mother! For wandering

mendicants like us, ‘Govindethi sada snanam' (chanting of the divine name of Govinda is equivalent to having a bath)." The housewife was clever enough to teach him a lesson. She told him "Dear son! Govindethi sada bhojanam (The divine name of Govinda is verily food for you). You can go." Evil feelings may sometimes arise in our heart. They have to be corrected by participating in sathsanga (good company). It is said, "Tell me your company, I shall tell you what you are." If you are in good company, you will be a good person. On the other hand, if you move about in bad company, you will also become bad. Hence, always move in good company. If you partake of meat, indulge in smoking and drinking, and say that you are a good person, no one will agree with that statement. If you wish to be a

good person, undertake good and noble activities. As are your karmas, so shall be the results. Human birth is very sacred. It is the result of sathkarmas (good actions) performed over several past lives. A few thousand devotees are gathered in this hall. For what purpose? To sanctify their time in the divine presence of God, to hear the divine message, and contemplate on the same. The entire hall is permeated by divine vibrations. That is why saints and sages proclaim the importance of sathsanga. "Satsangatwe nissangatwam, Nissangatwe nirmohatwam, Nirmohatwe nischalatattwam,Nischalatattwe jivanmukti (Sanskrit Verse) Good company leads to detachment; Detachment makes one free from delusion; Freedom from delusion leads to steadiness of mind; Steadiness of mind confers liberation. We should move about in good company and cultivate good thoughts and feelings. Jealousy, anger, ego, and such other ill feelings must be shed. Gratitude is another good quality to be cultivated. A person with gratitude, wherever they are, will

prosper. Some people return evil for good. They are verily demons. We must show gratitude to all those who help us, irrespective of whether the help is small or great. We must serve all. We must greet with love even those who hate us. Then they will also respond with a loving greeting. If you address others with respect, saying, "Sir!", they will also treat you with respect. On the other hand, if you insult them, you will get the same in return. Our entire life is filled with reaction, resound, and reflection. See good, do good, and be good. Then your birth as a human being will be sanctified. Your own good nature will protect you. That is your real support. Lawyers, while arguing their cases in the courts, always rely upon witnesses. But we don't require someone else to testify to our good conduct. Our own mind is the witness to our good nature. If you want to earn money, do it —but by fair means and good conduct. First and foremost, your actions should be in accordance with your conscience. Self satisfaction should be the most important goal in whatever activity you undertake. Only when you achieve self satisfaction will you be able to go to the next step of self-sacrifice. Dear students! You must cultivate good and noble feelings right from this early age. That is true education. There is no use studying voluminous texts. I find several students always reading and reading books We are not sure what kind of books they are reading. Read good

books that will help develop your character. Do not read books that go against the basic tenets of humanness. You are all now students. Pursuit of education is your goal. What kind of education? Education that would confer Atma Jnana (knowledge of the Self). Some boys read big books, and their parents feel happy thinking that their children are reading the Ramayana or the Mahabharatha. But nobody knows for sure what exactly they are reading. Some may be reading trash novels, keeping them in between the pages of those voluminous books. Do not resort to such dubious actions, for if you do such things, your entire life will be spoiled. Society will not respect you. First and foremost, students must control their anger, cultivate patience, and lead a peaceful life. Only by developing a calm and serene mind can you understand your lessons well. This is the age when your hearts are pure. It may not be possible for you to make everyone happy. But conduct yourself in such a manner that your actions please to God. Every one in this world wishes to be happy. But where does the real happiness lie? "Hari bhajana bina sukha santhi nahi………" True peace and happiness lie in singing bhajans. That is why Guru Nanak had initiated the sadhana (spiritual exercises) of community bhajan singing. If a group of people come together and sing the glory of God, at least one person's heart will be tuned to

Divinity. We find people dozing during Sivarathri akhanda bhajan. Some others mechanically participate in the bhajan, while their mind is roaming elsewhere. In spite of these undesirable things, community singing is still a better sadhana. At least one in this group will have their mind fixed in God while singing the bhajan. Community singing is pleasing to God. Sivarathri means an auspicious night. Every day, there is a rathri (night). But all nights cannot equal Sivarathri. Real Sivarathri is only that where the divine name is contemplated upon and sung with devotion. That is the only auspicious night.

Hence, cultivate noble feelings in your heart at least on this auspicious night. Sivarathri, 7 March 2008Sai Kulwant Hall, Prasanthi Nilayam .. Captivated by His Compassion...(Late Prof Kasturi) In these five initial years of his acquaintance with the Avatar, the ever-inquisitive and enterprising Kasturi, who was mesmerized by His Miracles and Manifestations, even

tried to instigate Swami into performing these Divine Acts in his own ‘tactful’ way. When he heard that Swami had, for some reason, become very cold to the evening Chitravathi sessions (which were, invariably, breathtaking ‘Creation hours’ when the Lord would produce anything – idols, lockets, sweets, etc. - from the sands), eager to enjoy the fun again, he went near Him and pleaded, “Swami! It is Full Moon today. We shall have the gathering on the sands.” "Kasturi! Your very existenceis My Miracle" “Do you think I can transform only Chitravathi sands? Is there no sand around the Mandir under construction?” Stumped but still strong, Kasturi persisted, “Swami! We shall go to that site and sit on one heap and do bhajan.” “I know

it is not Bhajan you are interested. You desire that I entertain you with miracles. You think I must have sand for that,” the Lord laughed. Now that the cat was out of the bag, someone said, “Very well, Swami! We know you can create things right out of air…Let us gather in Mandir itself. A miracle can happen here, now if You are gracious.” At this point, Swami, who was till then pacing up and down, stopped and stared at the pleaders and said, “Miracle, miracle – you clamour! But you have no knowledge of one miracle – You, every one of you. Your very existence is My Miracle.” Recalling that lightning of Divine Disclosure, Mr. Kasturi writes, “Through that simple-looking statement, He revealed that He was far more phenomenal than anyone we had learnt about in human history!” But the inventive mind of Kasturi did not cease its schemes. On one occasion when he

learnt from a few people who had close encounters with Baba that if He saw a gem-set ring in the finger of the devotee, He would, more often than not, ask for it, blow His breath over it and transform it into a ring with His portrait embedded on it, he got a big gold-ring made for himself. But Baba made him suffer for two full years without asking for it even though he tried in every way to make it as conspicuous as possible whenever he was in His Presence. On the next day after his “Bukkapatnam speech” when he was inside the interview room, Baba held out His hand for the ring! Shaking with excitement, he placed it immediately in His palms. “Oh! You desire to have a big picture so that you can preen yourself as a big devotee! So everyone would envy you and it would make you famous…No! Have Me in your heart instead. That is My Home.” Next, the Divine blew His breath and lo! The ring disappeared! The poor Professor’s face

was like a punctured balloon, all air puffed out. Then Swami gave Kasturi Vibhuti packets as parting prasadam and opened the door for him to step out. With a heavy heart, the old head stepped out. But scarcely had he made a few steps, when the Compassionate Lord beckoned him near and looking sympathetically at him asked, “You want your ring back, no?” A charming smile crossed His lips, His Hand waved and weaved out of the thin air a ring extolled in the legends. It was a navaratna – a nine-gemmed beauty, three in each row, which, it is believed, could bestow one with boons from the nine planets. The gracious Lord slipped it onto his finger and then said, “Now, you will not be announcing Me, as yours, even before I acknowledge that you are Mine. This ring is worn by many who believe that the Navagrahas (the nine planets) have to be propitiated. By and by, you will discover

that My Anugraha (Grace) can overcome the sinister designs of the nine planets. Until then, have this.” “I will save you from every hurt” - Baba And how many times did the Ever-Guarding and Gracious Lord not rescue him? During a vacation month when he was at Bangalore, his office at Davangere sent him a cheque to be signed and returned in the official envelope that was enclosed. When Kasturi alighted from a city bus and arrived at the post office to send it, it was pouring cats and dogs. He was petrified, not because of the rain, but because of his wet pockets that were empty! He searched frantically for the cheque on all the roads he had crossed, but no avail. And worse, he had not noted the number of cheque anywhere to be able to inform the Treasury about mishap and save its misuse. In panic, he climbed the night train to Davangere, was at his

office at 8 am, and summoned his Accountant to explore ways to repair the damage. "I will follow you and save you from all difficulties" And in the next few minutes, he finds in his room the Postman with a bundle of covers. He inspects the just-arrived mail and voila! One of them is the same registered post, with the cheque safely inside, that he lost at Bangalore! Some kind soul (Baba?) had picked it up and dropped it in the post box, and as Kasturi narrates, “It had traveled with me by the night train and come to my office as soon as I reached there!” Who else, but his Sai, had saved him from embarrassment, ignominy and a blotch of inefficiency in his illustrious rein as the Principal. Again, during the University exam, when he opened and distributed the question papers for “History of India” while the Time Table had all the students come prepared for “History of Great Britain”, he did not know where to hide his face. He closed the door and cried in front of the portrait of Baba. It was a no ordinary blunder. The whole process of preparing a new question paper, printing and parceling it to fifteen centres has to be undertaken by the University head office in six days! It was impossible! Kasturi was devastated; with tears, he spelt out his gruesome fate in front of Baba’s photo, and then gathering courage boarded the night train to Mysore, the city of the University head office. He landed early morning and straight went to the house of the Registrar who was fortunately, a friend. He comforted Kasturi when he said that the other two members of the Board of Examiners for

History were in the city at that time and if he can get the new question paper by 2 pm, he could arrange to get it printed in the Government Press and have dispatched it by the night. But before anything can be done, Kasturi had to first meet the Vice chancellor, who will be available only at 10.30 am after a historic meeting on Education being attended by the Chief Minister of the state. That meeting was punctuated with unruly scenes with a few students at the back of the Hall creating a ruckus. When Kasturi caught him at his office after the session ended, he saw him crestfallen. Expecting more bad news from another student population at Davangere, the Vice-Chancellor asked coldly, “What is the news?” And then Kasturi presented his plight. The University Vice-Chancellor was glad. Kasturi was actually pleasantly shocked. “During all these years you have kept Davangere students quiet. Look at the students here! Don’t

worry, Kasturi! Such mistakes do happen even in the best regulated institutions…” and next, he summoned the Registrar in. Once the new question paper was set, signed by required authorities and sent for dispatch, the Vice Chancellor even gave a friendly pat on his back and said, “Carry on Mr. Kasturi! Do not loose your sense of humour.” The next day Kasturi was in Puttaparthi and when Baba called him in, he pleaded, “Swami! I do not want to continue as the head of the college. It is too much of a …” Swami cut in with “What did happen, really? I know you opened one packet instead of another. You wept before Me. And, that in the Office Room…. Well, your boss sent you with a pat on your back, don’t I know? This is not the first time…Go on stumbling! I will follow, saving you from the hurt”. And exactly as He said, the Benevolent Baba,

cared, comforted and virtually carried him in His arms for all the rest of the thirty years of his life that He spent in His close proximity. When he retired in 1954 with a full year’s pension, Swami suggested that he go on a spiritual pilgrimage to North India taking his mother and wife along, and added, “Purchase three railway tickets for the journey. We four can travel on those.” The Perfect Instrument... ...The Playful Lord

When their hostess in Delhi sent a phonogram to the Ramakrishna ashram in Brindavan informing them of Kasturi’s arrival, at the receiver’s end, the decoded message had, instead of ‘Kasturi’, ‘Baba’ in it. The whole trip, similarly, was a series of visible and invisible manifestations of His Love and Presence, and after reaching Bangalore when Kasturi wrote a letter to Swami, who was in Kodai Kanal then, describing all the thrilling tales of His Grace, Baba replied, “I am happy you returned full of joy…How can delay, disappointment or danger cross your plans when Swami is ever with you? My Name is not distinct from My Form…” In Joyous Company as

His Neighbour Such a Loving Lord, whom Kasturi calls, the “Embodiment of Inexhaustible Compassion”, blessed him with the opportunity of being an inmate of His hallowed heaven with a tiny tenement to the right of the Prasanthi Nilayam Mandir in 1954. His was one among the eight which stood in a row. In his autobiography, Kasturi shares many accounts of how Swami used to play and pun with them through His plethora of pranks, and at the same time prick and purify their habits and attitudes, which explains why Swami had aptly named their block “Brindavan”, reminiscent of where Lord Krishna spent His charming childhood, playing with his peers. One day, when Kasturi and his family were looking towards the northern direction waiting for Him to Grace their house, as He was in there already in their neighbour’s house and could step out any moment, the Sweet Lord managed to

tactfully get through their backdoor, tip-toe silently from behind and quickly place His palms on Kasturi’s eyes and ask, “Tell, who?” That was how much He loved the company of this sixty year old dear devotee. It was a fantastic period of “spiritual honeymoon” for Kasturi and his family when Sai would suddenly walk into their house any day and regale them with His melodious voice singing great Carnatic music classics, or drown them with laughter with His on-the-spot constructed rib-ticklers. . THE LITTLE BOY!!! A few years ago at the time when preparations were being made to the construction of the Super-Specialties Hospital, Bhagawan seemingly had less time to devote to the students. Day and night, He was busy with matters relating to the new hospital. Every evening immediately after Darshan, Bhagawan would call a group of doctors for an interview and He would discuss with them the matters relating to the new hospital, even the minutest details, as this was to be a model hospital. "Milestone" discourse 1968 Birthday 1991 Talk to Westerners Bhagawan would come out of the interview room only after the evening Bhajans had commenced and so the students did not have much of an opportunity to interact with Bhagawan

during this period. Usually, Bhagawan would come out, speak to the students, and guide them. But this was not possible at that time, as Bhagawan was extremely busy. One very young student of Bhagawan could no longer bear the pangs of separation from his Mother Sai. He wrote a letter to Bhagawan one day and took it during evening Darshan. However, unfortunately, he was sitting a few rows back. When Bhagawan came to his side, this boy got up and offered his letter. Bhagawan stopped, leaned over and made a special effort to take this young boy's letter. To say the least, this boy was ecstatic. Then the Darshan continued and as usual, Bhagawan called a group of doctors for an interview.

All the students were depressed as they felt they had been deprived of the love of their Mother Sai, yet another day. Then, after about five minutes, to everyone's utter amazement, the interview door flew open and Bhagawan emerged in all His glory, holding a small letter in His hand, the letter of the young boy. Bhagawan called that young boy to come near and asked him, 'Boy! Should I read aloud what you have written to me so that everyone may listen ?'. The innocent boy replied, 'Whatever you wish, Bhagawan'. Bhagawan Himself read the letter aloud so that all could hear. That letter was as follows: "Dear Bhagawan! You have given so much to me and to everyone here. You have provided free education for all my brothers and I and now I hear that you are constructing a BIG hospital that will provide the most modern healthcare facilities to every section of the society, totally free of cost. Bhagawan! I also want to be part of your glorious Mission, but I am just a small boy and I do not know how

I can contribute. Bhagawan! My parents are extremely poor. In spite of that, they send me a little extra pocket money every month. I know it is due to their love and concern for me. Bhagawan! For the last three months, I have not given my clothes to the dhobi (washerman). After all the other boys had gone to bed in the night, I washed my clothes and thus managed to save a little money. Bhagawan! I have also resisted the temptation of toffees, chocolates and all other things and thus managed to save a little money. Bhagawan! I offer this hundred-rupee note to you. I feel so ashamed and small to give you so little. However, even if this money can be used to buy a small brick for the

foundation of the new hospital, I will be the happiest child in the world." Your Loving Son Bhagawan's eye had that twinkle of a mother, when her little son does something that makes her feel extremely proud. Holding the 100-rupee-note in His hand, Bhagawan said to that young boy, "My dear son! This is not hundred rupees for me. This note is worth millions and millions of rupees for me." When you see a plane flying in the sky, would you refuse to believe that it is flown by a pilot, just because you do not see him from where you are? You must go into the plane to see the pilot; you cannot deny his existence, standing on the ground below. You have to guess that the plane must have a pilot. So too seeing the Universe, you have to guess the existence of God, not deny Him because you are not able to see him. – SWAMY ------------------ LOVE FROM PUTTAPARTHI...SWAMYS' SWAMY !!! Swami Amrithananda's penance This is the experience of Swami Amrithananda, a very senior disciple of Sri Ramana Maharshi.As soon as Swami Amrithananda reached Prasanthi Nilayam, Baba accosted him, "Amritham," and, he was genuinely astonished at the familiarity and even the affection with which that call was saturated, for, he said, "Only Ramana Maharshi with whom I spent 17 years used to accost me thus and

the voice and manner were exactly the voice and manner of the Maharshi!" This is a miracle, indeed.Later, Baba asked the 85-year-old Swami, about a Ganapathi Homam (ritual worship of Lord Ganesha) that he had performed for 41 days as a seven year old boy! He told the swami all the details of that Homam, including the long involved Mantra with which the offerings were placed each time in the fire. Baba told him that he had repeated this Manthra a thousand times a day, for forty-one days and made as many coconut offerings in the Fire of the sacred Homa. "What is the reward promised in the Sastras?" Baba then asked the old ascetic. He answered that the Sastras declare that if the Homa is done with scrupulous regard for ritual, Ganapathi Himself will appear in the Homakunda as the golden-coloured effulgent elephant-headed God and with His trunk. He will receive the final and concluding offerings and He will grant everlasting Bliss by means of the

Darshan. Baba asked Him whether he had the Darshan. Amrithananda replied that it was not so easy for a seven-year-old boy to get the Darshan of the Lord, by the mere number and quantity of offerings and Mantras. But, Baba interrupted him and said, "No, no. It is due to all that Japa and all that Homa that you have come to me now. You will today, after an interval of seventy eight years get the reward, mentioned in the Sastras." Then, He asked the Swami to look at Him and, lo, Amrithananda saw the golden colored Elephant, the Ganapathi as described in ancient texts! He was beside himself for about four days after this Darshan in the Bliss which he derived therefrom."Swami Purushottamananda is granted the Divine Vision…"On the way back near the GANGES, Baba stopped the bus at a place, where a thin little iron rod carried a half-distinct nameplate, "Vasishta Guha." He proceeded to descend the rather precipitous incline to the river

bank, as if He had been there often before and as if He had become aware of an engagement with the occupant of the cave. The Vasishta Guha bears a hallowed name; it has been sanctified by the austerities performed therein by many great recluses and monks in the past. Swami Purushottamananda, a disciple of Swami Brahmananda of the Ramakrishna order, initiated into Sanyas by Mahapurushji, another direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, had been living in the cave since 30 years and welcomed Baba as if he too was expecting Him! More than seventy years old, he had spent the major part of his life in asceticism of a most rigorous kind and in the study of scriptures. His face has the genuine glow of spiritual joy and the slightest mention of the glory of Godhead would send him into Samadhi (spiritual ecstasy). When he was still a young man, Swami Brahmananda had read his palm at Kanyakumari and predicted that he would enter a cave and go on

meditating and meditating! Baba reminded him of the travails he endured when he first came into the cave, leopards and cobras and the three-day trek to Rishikesh and the desperate struggle for salt and matchboxes! He spoke of the succor that came to him through sheer Divine intervention! Baba himself sang a number of songs that day in the Vasishta Guha and when one of the Swamis attending on Swami Purushottamananda requested Him to sing a song of Thyagaraja, He very graciously asked him which of Thyagaraja's Krithis (compositions) he most liked to hear. Swami Kalikananda said that he was longing to hear "Sri Raghuvara Sugunalaya"!Baba sang it, just to make him happy.. Hearing that Swami Kalikananda was suffering from chronic stomachache since many years, He took some 'candy' from nowhere and gave it to him, with instruction about diet etc. He also gave Purushottamananda, a Japamala of shining Sphatika beads, which 'manifested' itself in His

Hand.But, more mysterious and significant was the Vision that He vouchsafed to Swami Purushottamananda that evening. After sending every one outside the Cave, Baba and the Sage went into the inner room.Sri Subbaramiah, President of the Divine Life Society, Venkatagiri, describes what he was able to see from outside the cave, thus: "Even now that picture is imprinted in my memory. I was standing near the entrance of the cave. I could see what was happening. Baba placed His Head on the lap of Swami Purushottamananda and, laid Himself down! Suddenly, His entire body was bathed in divine brilliance. His Head and Face appeared to me to have increased very much in size. Rays of splendor emanated from His face. I was overwhelmed with a strange inexplicable Joy. The time was about 10 p.m." When pressed later to divulge the vision, Baba informed us that it was a Vision of Jyothir-Padmanabha! (Lord Vishnu as the Flame of Love-Wisdom) Swami

Purushottamananda passed away on Shivarathri Night, 1961, four years later, during the Lingodbhava Muhurtham – the time Baba manifested the Lingam that Shivaratri." FROM PUTTAPARTHI...GENERAL CARIAPPA & DR. PADMANABAN... ------------------- round even in the inner portico. Then after a short break into the interview room, He came

and sat on the stage. High Drama at High Tea I remember General Cariappa who was the First General of the Indian Army after we gained independence. Swami used to be very fond of General Cariappa. He was a very tall man - tall of course for us Indians - he was about 6' 3" or 6' 4"! And he would look down at Swami whenever Swami spoke to him, and Swami would always have to look up. So being a very well mannered person General Cariappa would kneel down and come down to Swami's

height, so that Swami wouldn't have to look up at him! One day, Swami was coming to my parents' house for dinner and General Cariappa said: "Swami, You must come to high tea to our house on the way to Dr. Padmanaban's house." So Swami said: "Surely! I will come. What time is high tea?" So General Cariappa, in all our presence said: "Swami, exactly at five o clock, not one minute before, not one minute after." So Swami said: "Oh! Okay!" My father Dr Padmanaban, who used to drive Swami around at that time, was deputed to take Swami to General Cariappa's house and from General Cariappa's house he was to take Swami to our house for dinner. And my father is terrible at finding any place. You take him to the nearest place which is two minutes away and he will still manage to get lost! So my father was having a complete nervous breakdown at the thought of having to drive Swami from Brindavan (WHITEFIELD) to General Cariappa's house and then, to our house. Brindavan to our house was not a problem; he knew the way because he has done that a

million times, but he was really worried to take the deviation to General Cariappa's house. So he said: "I am going to do a trial run on the previous day; I will go to Brindavan and from Brindavan to General Cariappa's house and then to our house; so I know the way correctly." In the meantime, Swami told my father: "Make sure you are here on time because we have to be at high tea - not one minute before, not one minute after five o'clock." My father was even more petrified! So the previous evening my father and I go to Brindavan, we drive to Carriappa's house, and drive back and everything is absolutely timed so that we are not late. The following day, we arrive in Brindavan. Swami gets into the car and asks him: "Do you

know the way Padmanaban?"- Because Swami knows my father - "Yes Swami, I have the directions, we have done a trial run yesterday, and I know the way." "Very good!" He says and gets into the car. My father starts off from Bangalore and drives and he knows the road so well; he is there ten minutes early! So Swami of course, who never wears a watch, says: "Padmanab, you have come ten minutes early! Remember, he said not a minute before or after?' Then He says: "Go around the block a couple of times so that we are there exactly at five." Oh! You should have seen my father's face! He went around the block - but he didn't know how to come back! Because that was not a

part of the trial round! So he goes around and of course the ego doesn't let you say: "Swami I am lost!" How do you say that to Swami? & Swami is sitting in the back seat . Swami bends down and says: "Don't worry, I know the way." So Swami very sweetly directs my father and we come back exactly one minute before. And at five o'clock we are at the door-step of General Carriapa's house!!! And we walk in and General Cariappa, who is very well mannered, says: "Come in Swami!" !!! -------------------- "Bhajan Singing is Part of One's Life" – Dr. Devanathan Dr.Devanathan, Ph. D from IIT, Madras ,a very senior member of the Bhajan group has been associated with Sundaram Bhajans almost since its inception "I have had no formal training in music except that I had

inherited a genetic characteristic of an affinity for music from my parents. But then, thanks to BABA's grace, I did get a chance to get myself tested at Brindavan during the Summer Course Programme in May 1978. I was surprised and also a little nervous when I was asked to sit on the stage of the huge auditorium that was just inaugurated by Swami in the Brindavan campus. There were a lot of judges sitting and I was asked to sing. I was really nervous. It was a pleasant surprise for me when I heard that I was the only person who was selected in the very first round and was even given a clean chit to go and sing in Swami's presence every evening during bhajans!" "In the year 1979 when Swami was talking to a group of people, He waved his Hand and materialized Vibuthi. While He was giving Vibhuti to

everybody present, when He came near me He took a small quantity and rubbed it on my throat. I was thrilled! I feel that was the beginning of a long stint in bhajans. Bhajan singing is not a special talent or career. It's part of one's life.You Sing, I Will Listen" – Swami Truly, for the Bhajan singers and other artists of Sundaram, Swami is their life and Sai bhajans their life-breadth. Every member of the Bhajan group has moving anecdotes of how Swami has touched their lives and motivated them to dedicate their lives for this noble endeavour. "I remember the first bhajan session when I sang in front of Swami," says Mr. A K Kumar, "Actually, I was frustrated. I was waiting for the bhajans to start but everything else was happening except bhajans. There was a lot of activity going on and I was thinking my coming here has become totally pointless. A waste of time. And just then Swami came in. I did not know that. I realised it only when I turned around after feeling a tap on my back and saw Swami there! And most wonderfully, like a small child, He said in Tamil, "Yenna innum bhajan aaramikkalaya" meaning, "You have not started bhajan yet?" At that very instant I knew he knows what is going on in everybody's heart. The merciful Lord, then came near and very sweetly said,

"Ni paadu na kekkaren", that is, "You sing, I will listen". I was obviously overjoyed. And after I finished singing Swami refused to move. I did not know what to do! Swami's plan, I guess, was to stay only for 5 minutes. But He was there for about 40 minutes! Later, people came and thanked me for making Swami stay for so long. But we know it was all His divine plan and play!" Singing Under His Loving Care and Guidance Swami has not only encouraged the singers at every step, but also corrected, guided and given very clear instructions on the procedure and conduct of

the bhajans to the members on numerous occasions. "There are several instances that I can recall with nostalgia" says, Dr. Devanathan, "when Swami spent a lot of time with the bhajan group at Sundaram. There were occasions when He made corrections to our singing and perfected the way we rendered a particular bhajan. To quote an instance, "It was the year 1985. Swami was seated on the chair in Shanti Vedika and it so happened that I had commenced singing the bhajan Brahmanda Nayaka Baba. It is a Hindi bhajan and one of the lines in this bhajan goes "Ayodhya

nagari tumne banaye, dwaraka nagari tumne banaye, shirdi parti tumne banaye". This apparently was not the correct version of the song. I had sung it as "banaye" in every phrase. Swami took cognizance of this and while I was singing He was making gestures to me, nodding His head and pointing out a finger and trying to tell me something. I just could not get what He was trying to tell me. That night after

making a visit to one of His devotee's residences, on his way back, Swami drove into Sundaram. Swami got out of the car and came straight to me. In fact, He was looking for me in the crowd. He then called me and said, "Can you sing the song again?" I started singing the whole bhajan and He said, "It is not that way, it is 'Ayodhya nagari tumne banaye, dwaraka nagari tumne baithaye, Shirdi parti tumne basaye." It is banaye, baithaye and basaye.' Just to demonstrate how much interest Swami used to take in His earlier visits in correcting and guiding the singers, Dr. Devanathan recalls another experience and

says, "It was in the year 1990. I was rendering the bhajan, "Sai Hamara Hum Sai ke, yisa prem hamara" in Abbortsbury, Chennai. Swami was moving among the huge crowds that had gathered that morning and I thought the bhajan was really getting lost in the din. But at the end of the bhajan, after Swami took the arathi while He was walking down, He again beckoned the bhajan group to come. When we went near, He asked me to render the whole bhajan again. He listened to it very patiently and then said 'You are cutting of the hamara too quickly. It should be "Sai hamara hum sai ke yisa prem hamaraaaaa'. 'We are yours, we belong to you', that was the meaning of the line and Swami wanted the stress at the appropriate place. But the whole exercise did not stop at that. The next morning when Swami came out and He was about to leave for Bangalore, bhajans had just begun. Swami came straight to me and asked me to begin the bhajan once again! He stood beside me again, watched me sing the entire song and finally said 'Yes, correct' and only then He walked away with a gentle smile on His face." How The Beatific Sai Bewitched Me Interview with Dr. Jayalakshmi Gopinath, Part-2 (Continued from the Previous issue) This is the second part of a Radio Sai

interview, recorded in May 2003, with Prof. Jayalakshmi Gopinath, the Warden and Head of the Department of English, Sri Sathya Sai University, Anantapur Campus [To read the first part again, click here]. Prof. Gopinath’s association with Bhagavan goes back to as early as 1948 when she was a little girl! An epitome of dedication, service and love at His Lotus Feet for more than half a century, in this interview, Jayamma (this is how Bhagavan calls her) shares some of her cherished memories and fascinating experiences with Dr. Rajeshwari Patel, an alumna and currently faculty member of Sri Sathya Sai University, Anantapur Campus. Dr. Rajeshwari Patel (RP): Madam, did Swami ever reveal to you during this interview or at any other time, that He is an Incarnation of Shirdi Baba? Jayamma: I could take this back to about 1954. In the New Mandir, Baba then was not giving public speeches. He would call people in small circles and just give them the special jewels of spiritual truths. And I would be one amongst them in that crowd. “I am the Vedas!” That was a resonant echo throughout the walls of Prashanthi Nilayam. “I am the Scriptures. I am God. Take this opportunity. If you can understand what I am, well make best your chances here. Do not carp, criticize and lose this opportunity.” There was one

Brahmin elderly lady whose husband was a famous scientist. She started believing in Baba so much and we could see that transparent love she had for Swami. They came to Puttaparthi and at that time there were no rooms in the New Mandir also. Devotees had to get bamboo thattis, that is, bamboo strands made into a sort of slim wall, which could be used to make temporary shelters. Many people would help making this. That is how we used to construct places to stay in those days. There was nothing whatsoever, except the plain Mandir. The Brahmin lady was very orthodox. And people were making fun of her. But she loved Swami a lot. She used to cook everyday and would be very fond of giving whatever she cooked to Swami. And she would do this observing Madi Acharam, that is, strict rituals. Swami resided on the right side of the Mandir. Only some people who were given permission could take the food up and His sisters would serve Him. After the lady cooked the food, she would walk up the steps and place it for His sisters to serve it to Him. Swami played with her. He endearingly would come near her. He would put out His feet and say “Chesko” (offer salutations). She would say, “Ledhu Swami (no Swami).” She wouldn’t touch Swami’s Feet because of the Madi Acharam. Swami would laugh and indulge her! People thought: “How silly she is! Imagine not

touching Swami's Feet? Could there be greater blasphemy?” She never bothered. She just observed her rituals most sincerely. In the morning we had bhajans those days. Some of us would sit in the front and to my utter discomfiture, sometimes, Swami would make me sing. One day, this incident happened. It was Ekadashi. The Brahmin lady would fast the whole day and not take a drop of water. Observing “Madi” (ritualistic procedure), she sat apart. Swami came and saw this lady sitting at a distance from others. He told the devotees, “Make place for her!” Though people were, sort of, mocking at her and belittling her as being extremely foolish, this is what Swami did! He is Sathya, Dharma, Shanthi, Prema! He is an Embodiment of all these. How true He is! He told them, “Make way for her.” He asked her to come forward and sit near His Throne on the ladies side. The First Divine Declaration: “I am God” And then, He continued, “Janakamma (the Brahmin lady’s name), on Ekadashi Day, in the evenings, what were you doing earlier?” Then she said, “Swami, on Ekadashi day, I would go to the temples and there would be Puranas (scriptures) being narrated by some Pundits; I would go there and listen to it and return home once it is over.” “You don’t eat anything on Ekadashi Day?” Swami asked. “No Swami.” “Not even a drop of water?” “No Swami.” “Alright,” He said. “Today, I will tell you a Purana!” That was the first time He was speaking to a large crowd. The table was brought and a mike was kept. He thumped the table, “I am the Vedas!” That was a resonant echo throughout the walls of Prashanthi Nilayam. “I am the Scriptures. I am God. Take this opportunity. If you can understand what I am, well make best your chances here. Do not carp, criticize and lose this opportunity.” He said it in such a solemn Voice. Of course, we knew it within ourselves. But Baba had not declared it in public till that day. I can’t forget it even today. “I am God Himself” that was another declaration! RP: It was not at all a common feature at that time. Jayamma: No, this was the first time He was speaking to a large crowd and He made the thumping declaration. If you and I stand on a platform, and say “I am the scriptures, I am the Vedas”, we will be pelted with stones. We were all dumbfounded and spellbound. We sat there looking at Him, not with full understanding of what He was, but absolutely stupefied of the tremendous Divinity that was there in front of us. We couldn’t believe it! Future Untold He would say, “Seize this golden opportunity. A time will come when huge crowds will come to Prashanthi Nilayam and you will not have access to Me!” “And still, more and more as time passes, you can only see the heads of humanity - you can hardly see Me! You may just be able to see a little of My Hair.” And then He said “Still as time passes on, I may have to fly in the sky to give you all Darshan.” RP: Did He reveal to you all about the future of what you are witnessing unfolding before you? I have heard that Swami used to tell the old devotees about events that are actually happening today. Jayamma: Yes, He has told us, sometimes, jocularly; sometimes seriously. He

would say, “Seize this golden opportunity. A time will come when huge crowds will come to Prashanthi Nilayam and you will not have access to Me!” “And still, more and more as time passes, you can only see the heads of humanity - you can hardly see Me! You may just be able to see a little of My Hair.” And then He said “Still as time passes on, I may have to fly in the sky to give you all Darshan.” Bala Gopala: The Divine with His Mother RP: What are some of your memories of Mother Easwaramma and her relationship with her Divine Son? The Divine's Parents Jayamma: I had a very close relationship with her; I am fortunate for the bond that I had with her. I consider it a Divine Blessing. Swami had given her a room in Prashanthi Nilayam and she was the only one, not even His Father, who could just walk up to Swami’s room at any time. He would indulge her; it was so wonderful to see it. Swami was always very troublesome as regards eating. He was such a poor eater. So, sometimes the

sisters, whenever Swami would let them, would cook and bring it from the village. Swami would simply dodge them. He would not eat the food that was served! He would not come and sit at the plate. And even if He came and sat for a few seconds, He would eat so little, push this aside and that to another side, and sometimes, when the sisters got tired of coaxing Him, they would bring His Mother. The Mother would say, “Swami, Thinnu Swami. Enthuku Swami neevu thinnavu?” She would cajole Him so sweetly for not eating, with all her Motherly Love and then He would eat a little. Swami would go on indulging her. He would get lovely sarees and then all of them would be spread in the room. He would invite her and say “Ra, emi kavali theesko (Come, take whatever you want).” She could take whatever she liked. He would get her some

jewels also. He would do everything to make her very happy. In my opinion, Divinity was indebted to the Mother for giving Him this Divine Body. He has said, “My Life is My Message”. Maybe, He was teaching us to revere our mothers in the same way. Humble and Loving Father Jayamma: He revered His Father also. The Father was a wonderful person, and I knew him. And of course, he could speak Telugu, but no other language. He had a provisions shop and he would diligently supply to the devotees the coconut and other puja items. Though my father didn’t know much of Telugu, he took to him very much; somehow they used to communicate. When we touched his feet, with such humility he would say, “Why do you touch my feet?” “You are the Father of the

Avatar,” we would reply. Then he used to say, “I do not know. He is great. He is for everybody. He is no more my son.” This is the way he would speak, like a very simple person. Celebrating the Divine RP: You must have been present during the anointing ceremony. Can you share with us the experience?

The Annointing Ceremony Jayamma: Yes, I have had a chance to celebrate Bhagavan on His Birthdays by anointing Him. In the past, on the birthday, we used to gather in the Old Mandir. It was a tradition where some elderly sumangali devotees (married couples) would come with plates of kumkum (vermillion), haldi (turmeric), flowers, fruits and clothes for the parents and go with a silver container which we call in Kannada Chombu. The Mother would draw the water from the well and arrange the Poorna Kumbha (sacred coconut on a sacred vessel filled with water). In the procession, after the Mother and the Father, the elder brother and his wife would follow, and then would be the two

sisters. After that came Janakiramaiah (Swami’s younger brother) who was still a young bachelor. This was the hierarchical procession. They would have to be brought by the devotees with reverence along with the village band and the nadaswaram (music). They would be ushered in to the auditorium. First, of course, would be the Nadaswaram and the band, followed by the lady devotees carrying plates of all sacred things and holy items. Behind them, Swami’s Family would come and He would be sitting on the dais. And at that time all of us could garland Him. All the devotees would be waiting with garlands in their hands. First the Mother would get onto the steps of the dais, along with the Father. There would be one elderly sumangali (married lady), holding a silver vessel of oil which had been boiled with various types of perfumed herbs. It

was a sight to see! Swami would bend down His head from the throne. First the Mother would take a flower, dip it in the oil and thrice she would place it on His head. Some devotees also could go and do this. My parents were called to do so as well. I had a longing to do it, but I didn’t have the courage. But He called me “Ra (come)” and gave me a chance to anoint Him. And the devotees one by one would go and garland Him, and each time He would remove the garland and throw it to the side. He Makes Us Laugh RP: I know from my contacts with you that you have a very fine sense of humour. Could you tell us some amusing incidents from your interactions with Bhagavan, His love for humour ? Jayamma: My father had a wonderful sense of humour, which we inherited. Bhagavan has a very fine and tremendous sense of humour. Let me share with you an amusing incident! This is something that happened at home. In those days, in the early 1950s, Swami would come and stay with us when He came to Bangalore. We had a cook, a lady who was very good. She would cook the food with

some help from mother. Swami used to eat it with so much of love, whether He liked it or not, we do not know. She was a Brahmin virgin widow. She came to us when she was 60 years old. Her situation was none too pleasant. Her hair was shaven off and she had to wear a red nine yards saree without a blouse. This was the custom and it was belittling to her. As soon as she saw Swami, all the privations she had suffered in her life – humiliation and frustration - just melted and she sobbed. Swami consoled her. When He came, He would go to her and would talk to her. And she would, sort of, have these dry sobs. He said, “Emi Neelu Leni tankilo? (What happened? Is there no water in the tank?)”, because she had dry sobs. Everyone laughed! Challenges and Solutions RP: Coming from a

traditional background, did you have challenges when your family came to accept Swami. How did you overcome them? Jayamma: As a child, being brought up by parents who are pious and religious, we listened to many stories of the Gods. Our own mutt Guru, would come for Bhiksha (alms), we would host them and they would do the puja, in a lovely aesthetic way, though ritualistic. From childhood to adolescence, this had seeped into me. Mother would get up early, light the lamp, make the puja ready for father who would do all that was required. My father had a mind and a heart of gold. I remember him with so much love and gratitude. It was firmly registered in our minds, that God is a Supreme One. Everything goes on according to His Will. When we came to

Sai Baba, there were very die-hard opinions which got challenged from within our family. The question came from my uncles. “Can a Brahmin go to somebody who is of a different caste and where such Brahminic rituals and rites are not performed? How can they go and worship Him?” My father had eight brothers. Ours was not very rigid, but it was a truly brahminical house. So that was the question asked of my father. And father of course, did not bother about it. Once, our mutt jeer (head of the mutt) sent word through the diwans (emissaries) to see if the house is comfortable. Typically they come with a lot of entourage (many disciples). The house should have everything, including a well. At that time, in our sitting room, we had a big photo of Bhagavan Baba. The diwan came, and he saw this large photograph of Bhagavan in the hall. In the hall they needed the place to keep a

huge golden Mandir like object which had wonderful decoration. The hall was needed for the hosting. He looked at the photograph and said in Kannada “Rayare, Ee photo yarudu? “Sir, whose photo is this?” My father said, “It is the photo of Sri Sathya Sai Baba.” “Rayare, Swamigalu barthare, idhanu thegithubedi” meaning, “Swamiji is coming, remove it.” Father said, “Nimigi yaku yathu. Aa tharuvalla nimma nanne kelubarudhu – Nodu kollu (Don’t ask me these unnecessary questions).” He returned quietly. The Swamiji came. He had to perforce keep the photo right under Bhagavan’s picture and made a lovely puja with much devotion and in the Madhwa way where they keep a Jhoola (swing) for God. Then they sing these songs, which are very enchanting. They tie the bells around their legs for boy disciples and keep the thal in

their hands, they jump in ecstasy and sing. It is a very wonderful sight. After a number of days, before he was about to leave, he called my father closer to have a personal word with him. I was there then, my mother was busy elsewhere. As soon as father went near him, he continued, ”You are the son of Bedi Srinivasa Rao, a staunch Brahmin of the Madhwa cult. How is it you are going to a Dhaithya?” (Dhaithya meant a demonic individual). My father listened to him and then asked him a question. “Swamiji, could you tell me to what caste Sri Rama belonged? To which caste did Lord Krishna belong? And who was Sabari who offered to Sri Rama the fruits she had tasted? Can you give me answers to these?” “You are talking too much,” the Swamiji said. My father replied, “Alright, you are the head of the mutt. I will listen to you. But give me just one formula wherein I can distinguish a dhaithya from Divinity.” He was non-plussed and said, “Don’t ask me unnecessary questions.” Swamiji was floored. To all of us, Bhagavan was God Incarnate. I am proud that I am the daughter of such a father! RP: One last question. What is your message to newcomers of

the Sai Fold? Jayamma: Have faith, unswerving faith! Stop the vagaries of the mind which goes into unnecessary analysis because our minds are very limited. Stop the mind from unnecessary reasoning. Have faith; believe, accept and you shall see from day to day what bliss and happiness we derive, and how our character develops, where-in nothing bad can ever affect us. We can just crossover on to the shore of Divine Bliss. RP: Madam, thank you very much for sharing your very rich experiences with Bhagavan. It was a privilege having you here. Jayamma: Thank you Rajeshwari, Sai Ram. verandah at Prashanti Nilayam. LOVE FROM PARTHI...PROF ANIL KUMAR'S EXPERIENCES Prof. Anil Kumar is best known for translating Swami's discourses into English. He also gives very popular talks on Sunday mornings in Prashanti Nilayam and

visits many Sai centers for the same purpose. He has been Principal of the Brindavan campus and has authored many books on Swami. He is currently a faculty member of the Biosciences Dept. at SSSIHL, Prashanti Nilayam. He was interviewed by David and Ann Jevons from the UK.1. Back in the year 1970, I had some family problems, and so I went to Prasanthi Nilayam to ask Sai Baba for help. I can tell you that I didn't get an opportunity to talk to Him, I didn't get to touch His Feet and, as a result, I experienced five very unsuccessful days of togetherness. He spoke to almost every person there but me, yet when I returned home I discovered that the family problem had been solved!!!The health of my wife had become very bad and when I was at Prasanthi Nilayam I prayed within myself saying, "If you really are God, then please give her back to me in good health." Well, without talking to Him, without any padanamaskara or anything of that sort, she regained perfect

health. 2. I went to see Sai Baba on many occasions, but He ignored me, year after year, and not just me, but the whole row in which I was seated. I used to tell my friends that they could sit by me in the canteen and the hotel but never, never sit by me in Darshan, because Sai Baba would certainly never look at them! Well, in 1977, after eight years of exile, I was travelling to Prasanthi Nilayam when Sai Baba's car passed me by on the road going to Anantapur, so I turned around and followed Him to Anantapur. There I discovered that Sai Baba was busy with some trust committee in the Girl's College. Now, in the Girl's College, as you well know, even male mosquitoes are not permitted to enter! Then Swami suddenly appeared at a door, surrounded by several important people, and Suddenly Swami shouted "Anil Kumar, come here" and I started running towards Him, at the same time thinking, "How does He know my name? Why has He ignored me all these eight

years? Why did He not look at me? Does He not know my problems?" whilst at the same time feeling totally blissful. Swami said, "Oh, last night you gave a lecture about me and everyone liked it" and then He said, "How is your wife?" I replied "Swami, it was she who brought me to you.""I know", He said, and then He materialized some vibhuthi for me and told me to come and see Him in Puttaparthi. 3. Several years ago I was waiting for the results of my son's engineering entrance examination, but on the very morning when the results were to be published the President of India, the first citizen of this country, was to visit Prashanti Nilayam. Sai Baba slowly, softly, smilingly came walking up to me in Darshan and standing in front of me he lifted up both of His arms and He enquired, "How are you, Sir?" I replied, "Swami, I am very fine." Sai Baba then said to me "How about your son?" and I replied, "Waiting for the results, Swami." Sai

Baba responded " He is going to be selected, he is going to be an engineer, he is going to pass with distinction, don't worry, Anil Kumar."I immediately fell at His Feet and I thought to myself "Oh God, when the President of India and all the VIPs are waiting at the door, you still manage to show concern for this little, unimportant fellow, Anil Kumar.4. The greatest physical materialization that I have seen Him create!!!Once Sai Baba's hand described three circles in the air, there was a buzzing sound like that of a honeybee and to the shock and astonishment of those present He materialized an article that was the size of a jug. Well, let me describe that article. It was an arch studded with diamonds, four rows of four, and there must have been around 200 diamonds in the arch. The frame of the arch was made up of gold with again diamonds in rows of four. There was a platform of gold, and in the centre an ornamental swan hung by a golden

chain with diamond eyes, and in the centre the stomach of the swan was like a glass, it was transparent. Everybody started looking at it in sheer amazement. I looked at the stomach and what did I find there, nothing less than the figure of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba in a reclining posture. Now that is manifestation. I don't think that I will ever see another manifestation like that in the years to come. 5. One day, in Darshan, Sai Baba was talking to the children from the primary school. He asked one young boy, just six or seven years old, "Where do you come from, boy?" The boy replied, "Swami, I come from you." Sai Baba then turned around and said to all the VIP's sitting on the verandah "See, if I was to ask you that question, you would say "I come from Bombay" or "I come from Madras" or "I come from England", but this little boy says "I come from you", now that is divine. Children are divine. Then Sai Baba put a second question

to the boy, "How many brothers do you have?" Back comes the reply "Swami, all are my brothers," Sai Baba then said "See how broad minded children are. This little boy considers all are his brothers, but if I were to ask you that question, you would say 'Two brothers, Swami' or 'Three brothers, Swami', you are so narrow minded." Then Sai Baba put a third question to the boy, "How many sisters do you have?" Back comes the reply "Swami, all are my sisters.No, no, no" said Sai Baba, "All are your sisters excepting one, your wife." Well, everybody laughed and then Sai Baba asked the boy "How many wives do you have?" to which the boy replied, "Swami, all are my wives.""Oh no, no, no, you are wrong," said Sai Baba, adding, "That boy thinks that he is smart enough to give a reply to Bhagavan." 6. Once he looked at me and said, "You have cataracts." I said, "Swami, I have glasses, I don't have cataracts", to which Swami replied "I can see

you have glasses, but you have cataracts in both your eyes.One eye is suffering from the cataract of attachment, the other eye is suffering from the cataract of ego" to which I replied, "Well, if that is so, Swami, then it is time for an operation. You are the divine doctor, so why don't you operate right now." Everybody laughed. Sai Baba replied "Oh, no, if you don't come to Me what can I do. If you come to Me, then, I will operate, but you have not yet come to Me, so what can I do?" I then said to Swami "Swami, when am I not with You? Am I not serving in your college for the ninth successive year?""Ah" said Sai Baba "You are physically here, but mentally you are somewhere else, so unless you are mentally and physically here and totally surrender to me, how can I operate." Game, set and match to Swami!7. I was once reading a letter my daughter had sent. She is a doctor in Minneapolis, USA & when she was doing her internship one day,

while returning home from the hospital, she missed a turning and got lost. She could not find the way back to the hostel where she was staying. Even though she felt like crying, she began singing some of Swami's bhajans instead and prayed to Swami for help. Immediately an American stopped his car and said, "May I help you? Where do you want to go?" She gave him her address and he dropped her off at her hostel. Suddenly I realized that Swami was standing in front of me. Swami said to me "Where is the letter?" I replied "Letter, Swami?" not wanting Him to know about my daughter's letter. "Yes, the letter," said Swami "the one that is there in your pocket, give it to me."I said, "Swami, it is a letter from my daughter." Sai Baba then said "Your daughter in America constantly thinks of me, whilst you, who are here close to me, think only of your daughter in America! That is the difference."

-- What would you do if you were caught up or trapped in an uncanny situation in a secluded place where no human help was expected? A sincere prayer with total surrender is the lone way out. How would God react to such a prayer that comes with ‘Other than you, refuge there is none” attitude. Here is an incident narrated by a former civil servant of India, as reported in the January 1975 issue of Sanathana Sarathi. I was on a trekking expedition in the Himalayas to Gangotri. On the return journey, the petrol tank of the car sprung a leak, at a desolate place, between Harsil and Jhala.

The precious liquid drained away into the ravines. It was late in the evening; not a soul was found anywhere. Petrol could be obtained only from Uttarakashi, 60 miles away. And, 60 miles in the Himalayan Region is equal to at least 200 miles in the plains! Even if petrol could be obtained, the problem remained as to how to store and use it; for, the gaping hole in the tank was as big as a saucer. Hence, first, the hole had to be closed by welding. Where could that welding be done? It looked as if we had to persuade the ladies and children to walk to safety towards some village near by in the fast enveloping darkness; then we had to remove the petrol tank and carry it for a distance of 60 miles to Uttarakashi and get it welded there and bring it back and fit it to the car; then, we could fill up with petrol, provided we get some quantity. All this had to be done, before the car could move an inch out

of that vast wilderness. Certainly, we were in for three or four days of suffering, in the shivering snows. For, we had no other person who can act as mechanic or driver. And, lo! What cannot a prayer do? This is when Sai came to help! His presence was felt by me in the midst of that desolate despair. I announced, immediately, that relief was at hand and will soon be arriving. I told the family that Baba would tell us latter at Puttaparthi how we had suffered and prayed and how he had helped us. No sooner I said so, a jeep came round and gave us five litres of petrol in a tin; they gave us also a big cake of soap, so that we might stop the leak by plugging the hole with it. The car started without trouble; we proceeded a few miles and reached Jhala, at the bottom of a mountain at least 10,000 feet high. We could get no food or accommodation at that place. We also discovered that the cake of soap had

fallen off, and the tank had gone dry! We prayed again and again, Baba answered our prayers. The same vehicle appeared before us, and the mysterious helper suggested this time that the petrol tin be fitted near the engine itself; he advised us to provide a direct connection with a length of rubber tubing. This was done and, lo, the car started and mounted up the perilous ascent of the Sukhi Himalayas, 10,000 feet high. The entire population of Jhala had come to cheer us, when we ventured to move into the Heights, with Sai and the Stars, as our sole Guide and Companions. That quantity of petrol too was consumed that night to the last drop; Baba sent us succour in the same mysterious manner. Petrol was provided and we reached Ganganani late at midnight, safe and sound. We got both food and accommodation there and felt relieved and happy. The next day, by about noon, we reached Uttarakashi, with the least discomfort. The tank

too was welded there. Further journey was smooth and uneventful. When we met Baba at Puttaparthi, on our return from the mountaineering adventure; He welcomed us, with a twinkle in his eyes. He recounted the story of our travels, and told us all the detail's of the succour He gave us, before we got a chance to open our mouth. He knew. He had helped us. He had answered our prayers A paradoxical situtation wherein one gets into decide between two odd ends. Many of us get into these kind of situations often failing to handle the issue diplomatically. What would God do if he got into such a situation? Veteran devotees Dr. Vinayak Krishna Gokak and Dr. John Hislop had a unique experience of one such situation happened way back in 1974 just before Dr. Gokak’s return to India after his triumphant tour as Bhagawan’s ambassador to the Sathya Sai Centres of America. Read on the story as narrated by Dr. John Hislop in the January, 1975 issue of Sanathana

Sarathi. After a triumphant tour as Bhagawan’s ambassador to the Sathya Sai Centres of America. Dr. V. K. Gokak's return flight to India was scheduled by his California hostess, Mrs. Elsie Cowan for an 8:30 a.m. departure on Oct. 7, 1974. But, for the first time in his life he was late and the plane departed minus one distinguished Indian passenger, namely Dr. Gokak. How could this be? Could not Baba have delayed the plane for three minutes? Or, could He not have prodded Hislop, the driver of Dr. Gokak's car to speed up a bit and thus gain a few minutes on the drive from Mrs. Cowan's home to the airport? Or, on the other hand, could it be possible that Baba made obstacles in the way of the driver so as to make him slow and late? Some would say that missing the plane was just an accident. But what is an accident and why does an accident happen? Although it is true that Hislop resisted Mrs. Cowan's proposal to depart Santa Ana at 5:30 a.m. with the argument that it was far too early for a short drive of 35 miles, nevertheless there still should have been plenty of time. Even though Hislop and Dr. Gokak did not wake up when they should have, Mrs. Cowan and Mrs. Hislop were up bright and early with coffee ready, and the party did get away by 6 a.m. The trip started out fine and for the first 15 minutes the car sped along fast and easy. But then the trouble started. First, the traffic got thick as glue and the highway became almost like a huge parking lot filled with cars that were either stationary or inching along only a few feet at a time. The minutes and half hours passed by, but the car made little progress and every time the watch was consulted the temperature of the passengers rose another few degrees. The driver berated himself for not heeding Mrs. Cowan's 5:30 a.m. starting schedule and although the passengers were polite it was easy to see that they had the same thought as the driver! The slow pace became intolerable, and it was decided to leave the 8 lane highway and; take a chance on unknown side streets. What a relief it was to get off the highway! The first side street was almost empty and the spirits of the passengers rose along with the higher speed of the car.

Surely now the airport would be gained in time to get Dr. Gokak on his plane. But no sooner the sigh of relief than a new, never imagined obstacle arose. First, earth bound highway vehicles had stopped all progress. And now the heavens themselves moved swiftly to maintain the level of resistance to the car's progress. Southern California is a desert—dry, dry, dry. September October is the dry brush fire season. Yet, despite the season, it suddenly started to rain, not just rain—it poured down in torrents from a canopy of thunder and myriad lightening flashes. The roads quickly became dangerously slippery and the opportunity to drive fast was immediately lost. Still, at least the car was moving—but not for long! Now the inner

city was reached and with it came the inner city traffic light system. One block of driving and then a red stop signal. Another block and another stop signal. Two minutes lost at each stop signal; miles still to go and only twenty minutes to plane departure. By now even the calm Dr. Gokak was urging. "Speed up! Speed up!" And Mrs. Cowan urged, "Make the signals, I'll pay the fine if a policeman stops you." The fifth passenger, a delegate from Hawaii warned, "Talking to a policeman will take longer than the traffic signal." But the driver, throwing caution to the wind, did step on the gas and the last few miles of driving behaviour was surely no model for a law abiding citizen to copy! At last the airport was reached. Dr. Gokak and Hislop, leaving the parking of the car to the others, took

..the luggage and ran. Porters at the outer doors said, "Stop. You cannot make it." The ticket officer, however, shouted encouragement, "Run! You may make it—even though I doubt it." As soon as the boarding ramp was sighted, the runners shouted, "Wait! We are here!" But the officers at the gate shook their heads, "Too late. The plane moved away from its mooring three minutes ago." Well, that was that; Dr. Gokak turned to the information office beside the ramp and asked the time of the next departure. Armed with this information, he and Hislop made their way towards the passenger lounge to sit down and wait for the others of the party to arrive and ask, "What happened?" At this moment, a man came running up and, somewhat out of breath from hurry, said, "Oh, Dr. Gokak, you are here. Thank goodness I caught you before you got on your plane. I have a letter from me to Baba and I prayed to Him that I

would be able to make it to the airport in time to give you my letter to give to Baba. Baba helped me. The highway traffic was terrible, but Baba must have cleared the way because I have got to you in time!" Dr. Gokak and Hislop looked at each other and then broke into laughter. Dr Gokak said, "Well, here is the reason we missed the plane; here is the man responsible for it!" The newly arrived devotee started to ask questions. By this time the other three members of the party arrived after having parked the car and were told the story. One person said, "What Baba will not do in order to please a devotee." And someone else responded, "Yes, Baba will go to any length for a devotee, even to the extent of delaying other devotees!" This remark caused another round of laughter. Then everyone went to the airport cafe for breakfast and had a very pleasant and enjoyable time talking of the glories of Baba and of His Leelas. At 10

a.m. the next plane was ready for departure and Dr. Gokak was wished an easy flight for his homeward trip to distant India. -------- Om Sai Ram. Kobe Center's activities ------------ Veda club has been held at 5:30PM of the fourth Sunday in every month. Every time, it attends by about ten to 15 people or more. The practice schedule in April is Narayana suktam. On the specially program more than 100 people come

to learn and participate in this program. Photos: Scan and Save to

Computer KOBEC_VEDA1. Scan and Save to Computer KOBEC_VEDA2.jpg (576k) [View] -------------------------- 23.3.2008 Study circle by Sister Mohini and Sister Dodanuki...Sunday. ------------ About 40/50 devotees came on Sunday for bhajans and later for study circle. The topics were, How to practice silence.Swami says : If we look deep, one can easily recognize the galloping of the mind behind the wordily happening. While sitting in this study class, sometimes our mind takes for a ride and our constrains breaks. So we have to seriously study, how to calm down its moments. Baba advise us turn your mind inside into the calm lakes of bliss, that lies deeper in the heart. Get over fear by

establishing your mind in the ONE. Sai Ram. .................................................................................................................................... Kobe Centers monthly Seva program. Here are some photos of Narayana Seva on March 23rd 2008. This was 4th Sunday Narayana Seva. It started at 10:00am

after preparation. 200 people had come to our Narayana Seva.A lot of curry and rice were prepared by our ladies groups and served. A bag contains bananas and bread also.. Homeless people were very happy and we can see their faces shines and we too are very happy. Swami's has directed us to help the people who are in need and share your love who are helpless and needy. Thank you all for your support... We pray to Swami to give us strength to serve and love. See photographs below: Sai Ram Sathya Sai Center Kobe Photes on Seva day.. --------- If You want to be perfect...A Little story... --------- One day little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Then Jesus placed his hands on them and blessed them. Wow! We may ask: what is this quality that gives the child automatic ticket to the gate of the Kingdom of God? Take some time and watch the little child lost in the fun of life. What do you see? Total selflessness! With no sense of “I” and “mine” the little child is rapt in the bliss of Being. Totally unattached to life, the child lives in the fullness of Life. Then a certain rich young man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One

who is good.” Surprising, isn’t it? But that is the Truth. Only God is Good! And we can be good only when we realize this Oneness with the One. Then Jesus said to the young man: “If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, "Do not kill” (the Vedic law of Ahimsa) “Do not commit adultery” (the Vedic command of Brahmacharia) “Do not steal” (the Vedic law of aparigraha) “Do not give false testimony” (the Vedic command: speak the truth, follow righteousness) “Honor your father and mother” (the Vedic admonition: Mother is Divine, Father is Divine) and “Love your neighbor as yourself ” (the Vedic injunction: Do to others what you would like done unto you) "All these I have kept since I was a child" the young man said. "What do I still

lack?" Hmnn! Let us wait a minute. How many of us can honestly say this to our Beloved Swami! “I have kept all the Vedic or Bible or Sathya Sai Code of conducts, etc, (they are all the same) from my childhood?” This simply means that this rich young man is no ordinary person. He is indeed a great Soul. Jesus was deeply pleased with this young man. He looked at him with love and he wished God would bestow on him still greater blessings. And He saw in him one lack. In spite of his great wealth and despite his strict adherence to the path of righteousness, he still had no Peace: that undisturbed stillness of bliss which the world and its objects cannot give. Jesus then gave him the great invitation: a call to Divinity, a ticket to ‘Prashanthi Nilayam’, the Abode of Supreme peace. Jesus said to the man, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." My Jesus! The man was shocked. His mind reeled round his bank accounts, his numerous estates and companies, his wife and children, his honor and social status… all the comfort and pleasures… to give up all these and come and follow this wondering homeless recluse? His face bowed down with the burden of decision. His heart was beating fast. It was a moment with

momentum – a divine opportunity not different from the critical choices which made the Buddha and St. Francis of Assisi forsake their Kingly Estates in search for perfection. Meanwhile Jesus stood patiently looking at him…waiting… for his “yes”. But he walked away sadly. What a life time opportunity that was missed! How many people today are able to accept these same commands from the Avatar of the age: “Go… sell all you have… give them to the poor… come … follow me.” When Swami calls us for interview He always says: “Go”. What is “go”? To go is to let go! How can we ‘go’ when we can’t ‘let go’? This is the first step in the path of self surrender: to let go! When we let go, then we can sell all, then we can give all, then we can come and take refuge at the Divine lotus feet, (Manasa bajare Guru charanam), then we can surrender to that lotus feet who will take us

across the ocean of samsara – circle of birth and death. When the man had left, Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." This was another shocker for the disciples. “In that case” they asked, "Who then can be saved?" The Jews looked upon wealth as a blessing from God, a reward for being good, a sign for His special favour. If the rich - those who from the disciple’s point of view seemed to be first in the line for salvation - cannot be saved, then who in the world can be saved? Jesus looked at them intently and said, “From the human point of view, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” In reality, it is not just the rich who have difficulty, for perfection is not possible for any one from a human point of view. But from God’s View Point, everything is possible! So perfection is all about the optical medium with which we see Reality. When we see with the human binoculars we see ‘I’ and ‘mine’, ‘you’ and ‘him’, ‘male’ and ‘female’, ‘rich’ and ‘poor’, etc. This sense of duality is the illusion that creates the tangles of attachment. Like this rich young man we have lots of attachments. This young man probably did not know that he was deeply

attached to his wealth. This is also true of many of our attachments. You cannot tell what you are attached to until it is disturbed. Swami often shakes our attachments in order that we may not only become aware of them, but also to let go of them. But we do not need to wait for this shaking. We must adopt an attitude of mind whereby we are always ready to let go! What is this attitude? It is the sense of “I” and “mine”. It is this sense that we have to let go. Some feel that detachment means letting go of material possessions. But this is not detachment. In any case it is not possible to let go of the objects of the world. This is because objects have no independent existence apart from us. Where can we run away from them? Be it in the forest or in the city, they are there. Come to Prashanthi Nilayam and they are there too. Can we go anywhere to escape them? No! What has to be let go are not the

objects but this sense of possession, this attitude that things belong to us, this feeling that make things happen for us… When the clothing of “I” and “Mine” is stripped away, then we will see Perfection because we will see from the Divine View Point: All is One! There is no other, no owner and owned, no you and me! All is One, be alike to everyone! This is salvation. Jesus is telling us today: It is not the doing… It is the sense “I am the doer”; Let go the doer-ship. It is not the wealth… It is the sense “I am the owner”; Let go the ownership. It is not the objects…It is the sense “it is mine”; Let go the “I” and “mine”. This is the only way to perfection. Dear Reader, did this article inspire you in any way? Would you

-- KOBE CENTER PROGRAMS Kobe Center Place : l.S.S. 2nd Fl. 1-3, Kumochi 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe (Tel: 078-222-1885) Home Page MAP Bhajans Bhajan Practice Study Circle every Sun 4:00-5:00pmevery Thur 7:30-830pm 1st,5th Sun 2:00-3:40pm 2nd Sun 2:00-3:20pm3rd,4th Sun 2:30-3:40pm every Thur 7:00-7:20pm 2nd Sun 5:30-6:30pm (English)4th Sun 5:30-6:30 (Japanese) 2nd Sun 3:40-3:55 (Gayatri Chanting) Ladies Programme 3rd,5th Sun 5:30-6:30pm Youth Programme 3rd Sun 0:30-2:20pm 2nd Sun in odd months 5:30-6:15pm(Study Circle)1st Sun in even months 0:30-1:50 Seva Aisei-en (Orphanage home): 3rd Sun 9:30-11:30amNarayana Seva: 2nd,4th Sun 10:00-11:30am, 1st, 3rd Thur 9:00-10:00pm Veda Club Veda clup is held on every 4th Sunday after Bhajans. Study Circle in (Japanese) is held on every 2nd Sunday on 1st fl. Subscribe/Un information: (Free copy) To , please send your request to rgcjp To , please type “REMOVE” on the subject line and send to

rgcjp ----------------------- SAI CENTERS: KOBE, YOKOHAMA, OSAKA, SAPPORE,HAMAMATSU OKINAWA, CHIBA, NAGOYA, TOKYO & KYOTO.' SAI BHAJAN GROUPS.: OBIHIRO, SAITAMA, SHIZUOKA, KITAKYUSHU, MORIOKA TAMA, NARA, FUKUOKA, TOHOKU, NAGANO, IWAKUNI, HIROSHIMA, KAGOSHIMA, GUNMA, KANAZAWA, KAGAWA. Note: Sometimes schedules is subject to change. Please contact respective centers and groups for

information. ..................................................................................................... In side This issue... =========================================================== 1.Swami's Quotatiom. 2. Baba's Story 3. Shirdi Baba's Dtory 4. Divine Discourse Shiva Ratri Part.1 5. Divine Discourse Shiva Ratri Part.2 6. Captived by His Compassion 7. Little Boy...Milestone discourse. 8. Swami Amritthanand Penance. 9. Genral Carippa & Dr,Padmanban. 10.Bhajab Singging Dr. Devanathan. 11.Dr.JayaLakshimi Gopinath. 12.Prof Anil Kumar's experiences. 13.Helping Hand at Himalaya Heights. 14.Veda Club in Kobe center. 15.Study Circle in Kobe center 16. Narayana

Seva for Homeless in Kobe. 17.Chinna Katha...Jesus story. 18.Kobe Centers Programs....225KL Ram ChuganiKobe, Japanrgcjp

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.