IndiaDivine.org

Divine Experience - Sunil Gavaskar

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Shammi Paranjape, a close relative of Sunil Gavaskar shares this amazing episode that happened miles away down under in Australia: "One of the very first experiences Sunil Gavaskar had was during the Indian tour of Australia in 1977, when Bishen Singh Bedi was captain of the Indian cricket team.During the three-day match against Victoria, Sunil slipped on the ground while fielding and tore a muscle in his thigh. It turned out to be a severe injury. In those days, the Indian team did not have a physiotherapist traveling with them, so Sunil's injury was shown to the home team's physiotherapist. After he was examined, Sunil was informed that it was a severely torn muscle and he would be out of the game for the next six weeks. This was a big blow as the next Test match was starting within a week's time. Sunil was in

excruciating pain and unable to stand or put any pressure on the right leg.. He phoned Pammi (his wife) in India and informed her about this development. Pammi immediately told him, 'Apply Baba's Vibhuti'. 'I'll send you some right away. Apply it in the affected area, I'm sure it will work', she replied.The prospect of Sunil being fit enough to play for the next Test, which was four days away, seemed a total impossibility, so he was not picked for that particular match in the Test squad. In the meanwhile, Sushil Doshi, one of the Hindi commentators of All India Radio happened to be leaving for Australia. Pammi arranged to send Baba's Vibhuti through him. Sushil Doshi arrived two days prior to the Test match in Brisbane and handed over the Vibhuti packet to Sunil. Sunil, who was still hobbling around with that painful leg immediately applied almost half of the Vibhuti packet on the affected area hoping for a miracle."For what

happened next, let Sunil Gavaskar himself relate:"After I started applying Vibhuti, there was marked improvement and on the eve of the Test Match, I requested the team management not to rule me out but to have a fitness test on the morning of the Test Match. From barely being able to put weight on my leg, I was able to walk comfortably in just two days. But there was a stiff soreness that was worrying.On the morning of the match, I applied Vibhuti to the leg and went to the ground. That was going to be my first attempt to try and run after a gap of eight days!!!Even as I stepped on to the ground to give my fitness trial, I realized that the stiffness was almost gone. At the Queensland Cricket Ground in those days, you had to descend a few steps to the ground and it was these few steps which were painful previously, and I had to walk down gingerly. But on this day, I felt confident enough getting down these steps

normally.I took a light jog around the ground and with every stride I could feel the soreness going away. Though I did not do anything silly as a quick dash or sprint, I felt confident enough to play in the Test and so informed the management who accepted it and included me in the playing eleven. It was unbelievable."Incidentally, Sunil went on to score his eleventh Test century in that match!!!Swami's Vision to my MotherSince the day my mother got the vision of Bhagavan, my family has been a Sai devotee. In 1970, My mother was in the kitchen and there she saw a vision of Swami on the wall. She was restless and wanted a picture of the vision, and so she immediately rushed out of the house and went to the newspaper vendor at the corner of the street who also kept pictures of various Hindu gods. She looked at the pictures one by one but could not find the picture of the vision that had appeared in front of her. She went

further down to see if any other shop had the picture she was looking for. There was none, so she came back to the first one and requested him to have a look again, and lo and behold, there was a picture of Bhagavan with His hand raised in blessing exactly as she had the vision of. The newspaper vendor refused to take any payment saying that since he had not ordered the picture and had no idea how it got there, he would not accept any payment. That photograph was put up in my bedroom, so that every morning when I woke up, my first glimpse was of Bhagavan. That photo could also be seen by any visitor to the house particularly if the bedroom door was open and I do believe that it was after seeing that picture of Bhagavan that my late father-in-law decided that his daughter's hand could be entrusted in mine!!!

Om Sai Ram

Explore your hobbies and interests. Click here to begin.