Rate this topic

Guest guest

Note: forwarded message attached.

______________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Sai Vichaarwww.saibaba.org Thursday , February 14, 2008 :: Volume 10, Issue 40 (In its tenth year of publication.) Sai Vichaar is a Weekly newsletter distributed every Thursday and is devoted to the life, philosophy and teachings of Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi. Feel free to forward this newsletter to your interested associates in its original form.IN THIS ISSUE:FEATURE OF THE WEEKCONTRIBUTED ARTICLEDEVOTEES SAYPRAYER CLUBEXPERIENCE OF DEVOTEESQUOTATION OF THE WEEKQUESTION OF THE WEEKSAI ACTIVITIESFROM THE EDITORS KEYBOARDFEATURE OF THE WEEK: Is there a substitute for a Guru?The concept of Guru is unique. With careful observation, one might appreciate the existence of the concept of Guru in every way of life, in one form or the other. This includes all civilizations and cultures mankind has seen thus far. Could there be a substitute to Guru? If we can say that books can substitute teacher, we could probably say that one needs no Guru. Let us not forget that such a conviction should also precede an assumption that everyone can read! Could exercises such as meditation or performing a ritual compensate the benefits of having a Guru? Experiences can be felt or realized through several sources. However, pursuit of such an experience without the right objective does not constitute a spiritual experience. On the other hand, it may just be a temporary state of well being, without any permanent gains. Exercises such as meditation have been scientifically proven to exert a positive influence on the human mind and body. Several great men have practiced and preached different ways of such activities. However, temporary spurts of feeling good do not lead to any permanent transformations. This is evident from the rate with which such phenomenon have arrived and vanished. One reason for the failure to accomplish any thing major through these exercises may be the fact that enough importance is not placed on the importance of completely understanding the concept of Guru.Sri Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji during a discourse challenged, "Is it possible to meditate upon something unseen or unheard?" How many of us can truthfully do this? If this could be possible, then where is the necessity for Guru, for the objective of a meditation is the merger of meditator and the object meditated upon. Human intellect responds to attributes that it can easily relate to. Such an object makes the pursuit of the unknown easier. In fact, it becomes absolutely necessary for some, given the frivolous nature of the mind. The necessity for a Guru is well explained in scriptures. Guru(s) manifold functions, and the fact that Guru is the closest to God one can experience is also well illustrated. Realization that Guru is none other than God and He is nothing but the all-pervading conscious is truly a blissful experience. We find several examples for this phenomenon in Sri Sai Satcharitha including the episode of Madrasi Bhajani Mela and Dr. Pandit. Baba said always, "Allah Malik, God is Great!" and yes, He Himself has referred to His Guru many a times!CONTRIBUTED ARTICLE: How to achieve the grace of Sri Saibaba?Sai Baba's love, mercy, grace and kindness are like the life giving rain, which does not discriminate any one. However, the rain that falls on a rocky terrain is wasted as run-off. While the same rain falling on a fertile soil is absorbed into the deeper layers of the soil to sustain a beautiful crop. Therefore, it is for us to mould ourselves like fertile soil to imbibe and absorb His everlasting and continuous shower of love. Then we realize that He is always with us and whatever happens to us is due to His grace. That is "Living with Parmaguru Sainath."

What Baba expects from us are 'bhakti' or devotion, truthfulness and simplicity. His own life was a shining example of simplicity devoid of ego. He categorically said that He would always be with His devotees, who possess the above attributes. Hemadpant tells us in 'Sai sSatcharita', what Baba said for welfare of His devotees, "Those who are fortunate and whose demerits have vanished; take to My worship. If you always say 'Sai, Sai' I shall take you over the seven seas; believe in these words, and you will be certainly benefited. I do not need any paraphernalia of worship - either eight-fold or sixteen-fold. I rest there where there is devotion".

Sainath advocated dedicated effort in the path of spirituality. He told V.H. Thakur, " In the spiritual path, you have to put in your best exertion as it is difficult. Mere reading of spiritual texts won't do. You have to think and carry out what you read. Otherwise, it is of no use." In other words, as Acharya Ekkiraala Bhardwaja puts it, "It is not adequate if you make saadhana a part of your life. Your entire life should be saadhana i.e., spiritual exercise." Let us see as to how we can reach Him and live with Him, practicing what He expects us to do.Sai 'naamasmarana', getting into sacred thoughts about Sai Baba, admiring His all pervasiveness, divinity and protection and Sai worship will take us one definite step towards living with Him. More importantly, I feel that living with Sai would mean leading a life, as He would expect us to do. I am of the opinion that the most important attribute of a Sai devotee should be ego less simplicity. Apparently, it looks simple to do so. However, I think that the first step in this direction should be to renounce jealousy and stop indulging in destructive criticism and denigrating conversation, slander or gossip about others. Baba said that jealousy is a manifestation of one's ego, but easy to get-over, as one does not gain in being jealous of others. Only when we cultivate the attitude of appreciating others, sympathizing with their difficulties and being happy at others' well being, Baba will be happy with us. Baba once admonished a devotee for indulging in denigrating gossip and slander about others and compared that attitude to that of a pig devouring filth.

Baba said explicitly to His devotee Raghuvir Purandare, "If you fight with others and abuse them, I become very unhappy. Control your anger. Don't give tit for tat. If some body takes up a destructive argument with you or tries to fight with you, reply calmly in one or two words. Don't get angry and take up the fight." This valuable instruction is for every one of Sai devotees. Let us get rid of the feeling of revenge and reprisal at the same time checking our baser instincts including anger in order to live with Sai. We can vividly see that Baba exhorted His devotees to be sincere, frank and truthful in their dealings with others. He also said, "Fulfill your commitments and obligations without fail."(Contributed by MV Ramaa Prasad)CONTRIBUTED ARTICLE: How to achieve the grace of Sri Saibaba? (continued......)To live with Sai, we should cultivate respect for all religions and faiths and more importantly universal brother-hood beyond the barriers of caste, creed, race and religion. 'Sai prema' knows no boundaries of nation, race, caste, creed and religion. He discouraged all the enquiries and questions about His birth, parentage and origin. Baba said, "Destroy the barriers separating one from the other. Consider that you are in me and I am in you!" He always used to say "Allah Malik!" exhorting us to acknowledge supremacy of Almighty and cultivate ego-less simplicity. Baba's value for humility is very evident from his response to the behavior of Nana-Vali and Jawahar Ali. I am convinced that He would expect His children to acquire humility. Another striking feature of 'Sai-tatva' or Sai philosophy is the realization by us that He is there in all beings and hence respect and compassion for all forms of life. Sai Baba is unique in establishing that He is present in all living beings. Living with Sai signifies seeing Him in all other forms of life. In other words, "Aatma vat sarva bhoothani". As explained by Him, fear or disgust for other beasts is the consequence of one-self developing the feeling of alienation from other forms of life.Baba expects His devotees to value 'Rinaanubandha' i.e., linkages or connections among persons and organisms due to their commitments or relationships in their previous births or lives. This may look queer to those influenced by the western thought. Baba, however, proved the point unequivocally as one can see from Sai 'Satcharita'. Hence, Sai advised us not to discourteously drive away any body including animals etc., which approach us, but treat them with sympathy and compassion. He said God would be certainly pleased, if you give water to the thirsty, bread to the hungry, cloths to the naked and your verandah to strangers for sitting and resting.

Those who have imbibed Sai-tatva, would certainly follow His valuable piece of advice that help received from others in the form of labor should be adequately compensated. Their helplessness or need for money should not be taken advantage of or exploited to their disadvantage. (To be continued)(Contributed by MV Ramaa Prasad)DEVOTEES SAY: MohanKoti Koti Pranam, you are the most merciful. Thank you for getting my brother a job. Now also please give him good experience so that he gets a permanent job in a good company, again Baba tons of pranam. Give us all sadbuddhhi.KamalaI wish to thank Baba for the miracle he showered on us. My daughter was detected as having Kidney stone and the Doctor suggested to go in for surgery to remove the same. I prayed Baba that the stones should disappear and after 3 weeks we did an ultrasound again and the Doctor confirmed that there is no need for surgery.BhanuDoes puja requires a special dress? Usually I do puja with the dress I wear, as my opinion is that dress is for body and not for atma. But my sister differs in her opinion. She says puja requires a separate dress which should be worn before puja and remove it after puja. Why she is not able to answer. So I beg Sri Sainath maharaj to clear my doubt whether separate dress is needed for puja or atma is important for puja not dress? Kindly clear my doubt at the earliest so that I can concentrate on puja peacefully.RamaswamyI was really surprised and thrilled to receive Year 2008 calendar. As the month of February has dawned, I thought that I might not get the calendar. But, it was really Baba's blessing that I got the calendar today, on a Thursday, when my wife had just completed giving arati to Baba!! Thanks once again.SwathiBy Your grace my husband has been able to find a better job for which he was desperately waiting. Though he will have to relocate, I am sure You will take care of everything.GitanjaliToday (Thursday) we received Shirdi Sai Baba's wall calendar. It is indeed really good and that too my mother completed reading Sai Satcharita yesterday for the first time. It was like Baba had personally come to bless us. Thanks a lot.SrideviOm Sai Ram. Thank you very much baba for helping me through out the pregnancy. I have delivered a healthy baby boy and doing fine.AnitaFew months back I posted about my son's various problems at school. After my post, I saw continuous improvement in his behavior. He is more empathetic to his classmates and gives respect to the teacher. Thank you Sai for making this happen. Please continue to bless our family.PRAYER CLUB: LalithaI am a regular reader of Sai Vichaar. Sai blessed me several times in the past. How many I quote. But this time I lost all hopes in my life. Baba, please help me in disposing the property to come out of my troubles.SaiPlease show that your baby is doing healthy. Please take care of his job Baba. You know what's going on with him. Thanks for everything deva. Please cure ammas paralysis.SridharanI would request all Sai devotees to pray for the recovery of my friend's son Sriram who has been suffering from cancer since two years and undergoing untold suffering every day.SuganyaBaba please bless us and I am continually seeking Your blessing and guidance. Nothing goes right and I am constantly seeking Your help.KiranBaba please I humble request You to clear my year back and help me to clear all my subjects in this semester only.NamrataI have become lonely and I have deeply repented for my actions asking you to forgive me. Please bless me to be reunited with the one I love Baba. It means everything to me.VandanaBaba, please give me a chance to work in TV or Media line. I know You will listen me and fulfill my prayer.PremaWe both love each other too much and we just cannot think of living alone ever or separated. But this hindrance of job has left us totally gloomy. Please Baba shower Your blessings on us.EXPERIENCE OF DEVOTEES: RajeshI had this experience a couple of weeks ago wherein my wife was supposed to go and get a mammography done for a fibroid in her breast. I was very scared, as I had heard a few days ago that one of my friend's wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. However I prayed to Baba in my heart of hearts stating that if the report comes as normal that I would post about my experience in this site. The Mammography was done and the report was normal. Though the fibroid had grown a bit the radiologist had mentioned that it could be due to lactation and there was nothing to worry about. I should make a mention that till the result had come I was very tensed though I had faith in Baba but my faith was wavering and I was very scared. I had also promised that I would complete Guru charitra in one week, which I completed yesterday. I would like to thank Baba for making the report come normal. I also pray that the fibroid, which exists, now gets dissolved without any medicine and she gets back to normal. This was also the first time that I had taken a wow for someone else other than myself and am feeling proud and good about the same. It gives so much joy in thinking good and doing food for someone other than us. Baba please also forgive me for all my sins. Please always be with us and guide us in the right direction. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. May my faith in you grow by the day and let the same hold good for my family.JayasreeIn 1988 October, I lost my father when I was in two and a half. I was the only daughter and eldest, and have two younger brothers. All of us were so ignorant, especially my mom. We had to face the rough world on our own. That night an old man came into my dream and was talking about the birth and death cycle, the reason behind it and similar topics. Most of the things I was not able to digest. The next morning I prayed in the puja room leaving all my anger behind. Everybody was shocked. Then I never looked behind. I fought with life. Later I visited my uncle's house after a long gap, I saw this old man's photo hanging on the wall came to know he is Sai Baba, the one and realized He's the Guru guiding me all the time. Got a medical seat in 1990. Accidentally visited Shirdi with friends on a Gurupoornima day, I was crying unknowingly seeing Him for the first time. That was my life's best experience. Till now in every step of my life, every moment, I feel Him so strongly. Recently, my younger son, 4 year old was fishing in the lake in our backyard and got hooked in his chin, we ran to the emergency, kept praying Baba's name, my son was holding Baba's picture all the time, three doctors failed to take it off, then like a miracle a lady anesthetist removed it safely, Later the wound heeled without leaving scar, just I applied udhi. Everyday till today, I'm undergoing several hurdles, but the thing is I always feel safe and secure as He is taking care of everything.VinodIn this article I just want to say my experience. My wife and me had a clash on January 22nd, 2008 and she went to her parents, the next day I tried to call her but she ignored me saying I don't need you. I was depressed and I told my feelings to my close friend who told me to keep faith in Sai Baba, and he told me go to Sai Baba temple on Thursdays within 3 weeks she will be back. I just prayed Saibaba. On Tuesday, February 5th 2008 I just placed my feelings in Saibaba.org Prayer Club and requested Baba that I need to see her today, and I downloaded Sai Satcharitra and started reading. By the end of the day it was a miracle my wife came back to me. Thanks Baba. Keep faith in Baba. Thanks to Saibaba.org for the beautiful website.KapildevThe other day I was reading one of the devotees experience that how she was blessed with a New Year calendar of Sai Baba, I felt a bit dejected, as I also through the web site www.saibaba.org had requested for Sai Baba New Year calendar in December. But some how till February it did not reach me. In fact I had even forgotten that I had requested the calendar. Now see the miracle. As I reached home the same day in the evening, the first thing my mother told me that you have received a calendar of Sai Baba. I couldn't believe it. I was overjoyed and told this wonderful experience to everybody around. I know that Sai Babaji is with me, to guide me and bless me. What is required from our side is faith and patience. Om Sai Ram.QUOTATION OF THE WEEK: "If you spread your palms with devotion before Me, I am immediately with you, day and night. Though, I am here bodily, still I know what you do; beyond the seven seas. Go wherever you will, over the wide world, I am with you. My abode is in your heart and I am within you. Always worship Me, Who is seated in your heart, as well as, in the hearts of all beings, blessed and fortunate, indeed, is he who knows Me thus."-Sai Satcharita - Chapter 15QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Q. Question of the week is given below....A. by .Q. In Sai Satcharita, Sri Saibaba says to a devotee that their relationship was for the past 72 births. Is there any significance to 72 births?SAI ACTIVITIES: Shirdi Sai Temple of Chicago and Suburbs, Illinois, USAShirdi Sai temple is open daily from 8:00 a.m to 9:00 p.m.(Winter hours). Daily program includes Kakad Arathi at 8 a.m. followed by Abhisek. Madhayana Arathi at 12 noon, Dhoop Arathi at 6 p.m. and Shej Arathi at 9 p.m. Archana, Homams, Sahasranama and sponsored poojas continue in between the Arathis. To request a pooja for yourselves, your friends and family, please call. Devotees can request water (Abhishek Jal) from the Holy bathing of Baba by sending us an email or by phone. Temple is located 25 minutes drive west of Schaumburg on intersection of IL Route 47 and Plank Road in Hampshire, IL. For more information please call 847-931-4058 or send email to maildrop.Sri Saibaba Mandir, Minneapolis, MNSri Saibaba Mandir is located in Minneapolis, MN at 1835 Polk St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418. The mandir is open 7 days a week in the evenings from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm and during morning hours from 9 am to 12:30 pm, except Mondays. Satsangs are conducted every Sunday mornings, 9 am to 12:30 pm. Please visit the mandir website www.hamaresai.org or call 612-789-7729 for more information on mandir activities, events and other information.Sri Shirdi Sai Baba Temple of Dallas/Fort Worth, TexasSri Shirdi Sai Baba Temple of DFW Metroplex is located at 2109 West Parker (Parker Plaza), Suite 212, Plano, TX 75023. For temple hours and activities please call the temple office at 469-467-3388 or visit the website www.shirdisaidallas.org.Shirdi Sai Temple of New England, Boston AreaSri Shirdi Sai Baba Temple of New England is now operational. It is located at 1827 Bridge St # 8, Dracut, MA 01824. The temple is open every Thursday from 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm and Saturday's from 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm. For temple hours and activities please visit the website www.nessp.org or send mail to maildrop.Shirdi Sai Center in Bay Area, CAShirdi Sai Center is located 897-B East Kifer Rd, Sunnyvale, CA 94086. For more information please call 408-705-7904 or 408-564-6704 or send email to saibandhu. You can also visit our website is www.Shirdisaiparivaar.org.Shirdi Saibaba temple, Los Angeles, CADevotees in Los Angeles area are informed about Sri Shirdi Saibaba temple in Los Angeles area. The temple is located at - 144 South 4th Street, Montebello, CA 90640. For more information please call Krishna Samantula at 949-679-9938 or visit www.shirdisaila.org.Saibaba Temple, Columbus, OhioDevotees in Columbus and surrounding Ohio locations area are informed about Sri Shirdi Saibaba temple in Metro Columbus area. The temple is located in a leasing space at 7674 Sawmill Rd, Dublin, OH 43016. Please attend daily Aaratis and Thursday bhajans. For more information please call Panditjee at 614-799-8411 or visit www.saibaba.cc.Shirdi Sai bhajans every Thursday at Maitland, FloridaDevotees are invited to participate in Sai study and bhajans on Thursdays between 7-8 pm at Meditation Gallery, 219 E Horatio Ave, Maitland, FL 32715. For more details please contact Bonnie at 407-830-1276.FROM THE EDITORS KEYBOARD: Sai Vichaar wishes its readers a Happy Valentine's Day. Let this day be a day of sharing our love with everyone with fond remembrance of Sri Sai and His boundless love to each and everyone of us. As Sri Sai said, let all be seekers of the truth and cultivate loving devotion and attain stability and peace of mind.

Sai devotees posting prayer request are requested to state their needs briefly and be specific about their prayer needs. This will help with good use of space and allows more requests to be posted every week.

A Sai devotee suggested the "Question of the week" for this week as follows: Q. In Sai Satcharita Sri Saibaba says to a devotee that their relationship was for the past 72 births. Is there any significance to 72 births?Humbly Yours,The EditorABOUT THIS EMAIL:This newsletter is not sent unsolicited. This newsletter is e-mailed to you because of at least one of the following reasons:1. You have d through our on-line page, 2. You have visited our web site and shown interest in the Sai topics and asked for information, or 3. You have been gifted a subscription by a friend or a relative.To Subscribe Sai Vichaar for receipt by Email please visit the URL http://www.saibaba.org/newsletter.html and select the option from the menu. If you are subscribing the newsletter for your friend or a relative, we request that the person concerned may be notified about receiving the newsletter and the willingness to receive the newsletter be confirmed. To Un-Subscribe receipt of Sai Vichaar, please visit the URL http://www.saibaba.org/newsletter.html and select the option from the menu. If you have problems accessing the web page due to network problems, please send an e-mail to support with the words "Un Sai Vichaar" in the subject line. To make a contribution to any of the sections of Sai Vichaar, please visit the URL http://www.saibaba.org/newsletter.html and select the Submit Articles to Sai Vichaar option from the menu. Back copies of HTML version of Sai Vichaar can be accessed by visting the URL http://www.saibaba.org/whatsnew.html. For any questions or more information regarding this e-mail or our web site, please send an e-mail to maildrop and your inquiries will be attended to promptly.Thank you,The webmasterFrom and Editor:Shirdi Sai Baba Web SiteShirdi Sai Baba Sanstha(A non-profit organization)Mail:12N950 State Route 47 Hampshire, IL 60140, USAEmailmaildropPhone847-931-4058Fax847-931-4066© Copyright 1998-2006 saibaba.org, Shirdi Sai Baba Sanstha - Sai Vichaar Weekly may only be redistributed in its unedited form. Written permission must be obtained to reprint or cite the information contained within this newsletter. Sai Vichaar is devoted to the philosophy and teachings of Shri Sadguru Sai Baba of Shirdi, and will take every measure to avoid topics or themes contradicting the same. Sai Vichaar team or the Shirdi Sai Baba web site is not responsible for the opinions expressed by individual contributors.