IndiaDivine.org

From Puttaparthi... Stealer of Hearts

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Like many others, I have had the most rewarding opportunity, experience and privilege, to serve in the Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School, for more than 12 years. After completing my post graduation at the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, I joined the school as a teacher in the department of Physics.

Once a 12th class student very keenly wanted to continue his education at the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning. But in an interview, Bhagavan instructed him to join a Medical Course outside and not the B.Sc. (Bachelor of Sciences) Course at SSSIHL.

In spite of repeated pleading and prayers, Bhagavan did not permit him to join B.Sc. Swami even assured him that He would get him a medical seat.

This boy finally left and much to his dismay, he did not secure a medical seat that year!!! Of course, one reason was that he was not well prepared for the entrance exams. He therefore sat and prepared for 1 full year and wrote the medical entrance exams once again.

He was not confident of getting a seat and he felt that he should rejoin the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning for the B.Sc. Course.

He came for the B.Sc. entrance test and I happened to meet him. He told me the whole story and sought my advice. Coming to know of Swami's instruction, I told him not to lose heart and that he would certainly get a medical seat. However, since it was difficult to understand why exactly Swami had asked him to leave the pervious year, we felt that there was no harm in his trying for the B.Sc. Course at the Institute.

If Swami willed, He would take him into His Institute, or else he could go for the Course in medicine. I told him to tell the truth when asked in the interview.

Some time later, I learned that he could not get a seat in our Institute and he was disappointed. A month later, this boy suddenly came to meet me. The medical results had come and he had not got a seat there as well! The second list was also out and his name did not figure in it!!!

Very disappointed, his father decided to make him join a B.Sc. course in some other college. He would also prepare at the same time, for yet one last attempt at medicine, in the coming year. Just in case he failed again, he did not want to lose another year. He came to Puttaparthi and asked me what he should do.

As I prayed to Swami, I told him that by joining B.Sc., he would be going against Swami's assurance of a medical seat. With God there is no backup solution, for there is no failure! When one surrenders completely, God automatically helps. I told him to sit at it and prepare for the Medical entrance exams and to leave the B.Sc. course.

Finally, the debate settled and he surrendered to the Lord. No ifs, no buts. He went back to his parents and informed them of his firm resolve to stay in Puttaparthi itself and prepare for another year for the Medical entrance exams.

The boy suddenly disappeared from Puttaparthi and later he wrote a letter to me. These are its contents:

"Sir, 2 days after I decided to stay in Puttaparthi and prepare for my exams, my mother rang up and informed me that the University had again put up the first list of candidates selected for the Medical Course, and my name was on top of it! I had to leave urgently as the last date for enrolling to the course was fast approaching. Can anyone ever explain this Sir?"

Talking of explanation, I still remember that during a science exhibition held in the school, Swami was asked to put His hand into a Burglar alarm. Every time Swami put His hand inside the alarm, it failed to ring and we were disappointed!!!

Swami then asked someone else to try it out. It worked and the alarm rang!!! This happened a few times, in 2 different exhibitions!!! Swami chuckled, as all were surprised and said, "I am not a thief." Somebody added, "Swami is only a Chitta Chora – stealer of hearts!!!"

Dr. Shailesh Srivastava is a former student of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning and a lecturer in Swami's Higher Secondary School and in the Institute. See photos of SWAMI with HIS students.

http://media.radiosai.org/journals/vol_03/10OCT01/wind-beneath-wings.htm

VIBHUTHI has been sent to VIRGINIA, NEW DELHI, CHENNAI, ANUPURAM (TN), GLASGOW, BANGALORE, NEW JERSEY & SRI LANKA against fresh requests received.