IndiaDivine.org

Paying homage to a holy man

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Paying homage to a holy man

By Ann Tan, The Star, 15 Dec 2008 Some 1,000 devotees, many of whom were attired in white and saffron clothes, turned up at Dewan Sri Pinang in Penang to celebrate Sathya Sai Baba’s 83rd birthday in grand style recently.

Various activities were held to mark the occasion, including vedic chanting and bhajans, blood donation and the presentation of donations to six charitable organisations.

State executive councillor Phee Boon Poh, who wore a white kurta, spoke of his family’s association with Sai Baba and the guidance he received from the holy man in carrying out his duties to the state and the people.

“I did not believe in other religions apart from Buddhism until my father, the late Phee Joo Teik who was an ardent Sai Baba devotee, told me that all religions have the same aim which is to help people,” he said.

Phee, who is state Health, Welfare and Caring Society Committee chairman, later presented RM10,000 from a well-wisher to a representative of the Ramakrishna Ashrama.

He said the well-wisher had given him two cheques of RM10,000 each for charitable organisations.

Sri Sathya Sai Baba Centre Penang chairman V. V. Sarachandran said Phee’s family had, in their possession, a robe worn by Sai Baba.

He said the robe was presented by Sai Baba to Joo Teik in the early 1990s.

“His family has loaned this robe for display at the main altar during this celebration,” he said.

The highlight of the evening was a musical presentation of Smaranam comprising an ensemble of talented musicians and singers.

The evening concluded with an hour of bhajan (devotional congregational singing) by devotees.

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/12/15/north/2633650 & sec=northNo virus found in this outgoing messageChecked by PC Tools AntiVirus (4.0.0.26 - 10.100.068).http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/