IndiaDivine.org

My journal: From suffering to peace

Rate this topic

Guest guest

2 Feb 08

Mental worry, guilt, impatience, an uneasy conscience – these are what drew me back closer to Swami. Even though I still suffer from them, I thank God for suffering – Buddha had said that life is suffering – physical or mental. Suffering is what brings one closer to thoughts of God.

Suffering and stress are inherent in places where we don’t see it, or where we don’t want to see it. The point of suffering is to not run away from it, but to stand still and face up to it. To examine it carefully. To take the suffering, and transform it into the path of love. The more I understand suffering, its roots and causes, the more I can find ways to handle it, and get out of it.

Unable to fight this suffering any longer, I eventually gave in. I didn’t know how easy it was to give in! I stopped wishing for a certain future. Instead, I’m trying to live in the present. I realize it’s a waste of time thinking or worrying about the past – I want to live in the now.

As part of my meditation, the only prayer I ask of Swami is this now – take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home. Give me a direction in life – a direction that you want to lead me in, not a direction I’ve been trying so hard to head toward. I closed my eyes and prayed until tears streamed down my face. And then I read a little from the book I’m currently reading – Spirit and Mind, by Samuel Sandweiss – and found my answer – as if it was written to me –

My Dears! The time will come when the whole of this dream will vanish. To every one of us there must come a time when the whole universe will be found to have been a mere dream, when we shall find that the soul is infinitely better than its surroundings. In this struggle through what we call environments, there will come a time when we shall find that these environments were almost zero in comparison with the power of the soul. It is only a question of time, and time is nothing in the infinite. It is a drop in the ocean. We can afford to wait and be calm.

With Blessings

Sri Sathya Sai Baba (Baba)