IndiaDivine.org

Dr Sunil Gavaskar wanted to be a medico

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Light and Love

Another article about Sunil Gavaskar, who is blessed by Swami and has a deep faith to Swami. Enjoy.

Namaste - Reet

Dr Sunil Gavaskar wanted to be a medico

"The Times of India" Cricet 4 Feb 2009,

Pradeep Vijayakar, TNN

Mumbai: The other day film icon Shah Rukh Khan told us he would have preferred a career as a footballer to one he is savouring. On Wednesday cricket icon Sunil Gavaskar said he wanted to be a doctor but didn't have the "kidneys"(pointing to his brain) for that.

Gavaskar was speaking after being conferred with an Honorary doctorate (doctor of science) by the Dr D Y Patil University in Navi Mumbai on Wednesday. It is his fourth honoris causa after the ones from Andhra, Annamalai and Indore varsities.

Gavaskar donned the chimere (convocation robe) along with some 500 students of the university from various fields like medical, engineering, architecture and the other dignitaries.

India's greatest run accumulator, the first man to complete 10,000 runs in Test cricket, said after receiving the honour from Chancellor of the University and Maharashtra Governor S C Jamir, that it was his childhood wish to become a physician in the footsteps of his aunt Dr Sunder Kenkre.

"My aunt is a doctor. She practises as a GP at the age of 80 at Tardeo even today. Since childhood I wanted to be a doctor."

Replying to a remark by Vijay Patil that he was a statistician's delight, Gavaskar gave the example of how statisticians like to be challenged on cricket facts.

"A couple of years ago, after Ricky Ponting scored a century in each innings of a Test match for the third time, a statistician called me and told me that now all your records are broken. But statisticians always like to be challenged. I told him I still hold one record that I am the only batsman to have been out on the first ball of a Test thrice. He said, no Sunil, there is a Bangladeshi player who has been out first ball five times and now he bats number nine," he said.

Seeing an image of his guru Satya Saibaba alongside that of Gajanana Maharaj at the backdrop, he said,"Satya Saibaba alongside that of Gajanana Maharaj at the backdrop, he said,"Satya Saibaba is with me at this juncture, without him this would not have happened."

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/News/Dr_Sunil_Gavaskar_wanted_to_be_

a_medico/articleshow/4077441.cmsNo virus found in this outgoing messageChecked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.1.1 - 10.100.088).http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/