IndiaDivine.org

Rudram Learning - Namakam - 5

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Friends,

Pranams to louts feet of beloved bhagawan for giving me this oppurtunity to present this wonderful text as his instrument and I pray him to bless me for good thought to compile and present this email.

Shri rudram has many verses which give us inherent meaning of rudra. Shri rudra or shiva is also known as tryambaka.

Thrayambakam Yajamahe Sugadhim pusti vardhnam |Urvaruka miva bandhananm – rmru kshiya mamrutat || Thryambaka means one who has three eyes. We all know that Lord Siva is supposed to have three eyes. Various significances or interpretations are given for this. When Lord Siva is considered in the vishwaroopa (universal) form, the three eyes are the sun, moon and fire. These three are chosen because they are the illuminators of the world. During daytime the sun is the illuminator, during nighttime the moon is the illuminator and in the olden days, during new moon days, fire was used for illumination in the night.

In the second interpretation, two eyes are material eyes through which we experience the material world. The third eye represents atma gnana (knowledge of the atma or self) through which we can 'see' the higher reality. In a well-known story in the Puranas, Lord Siva burns Manmatha with His third eye. Manmatha or Kamadeva is the god of desire. The significance of the story is we have to burn all our desires through gnana. Knowledge alone can destroy our desires. Manmatha churns the mind and makes it restless. If we worship Siva, he will bless us with the third eye meaning we will progress spiritually.

A third interpretation may be found in a story, a traditional story of the battle of wits between the devas and the asuras. The asuras built three cities. These cities were designed by Maya, the architect of the asuras and were built out of gold, silver and iron respectively. The asuras became very powerful and started harassing the devas. The devas prayed to Lord Siva for help. Thinking that Siva could not single-handedly destroy the asuras, the devas offered to contribute their mite and built a chariot.

The earth itself became the body of the chariot. The sun and moon became the wheels of the chariot. The Himalayas became the bow, Vasuki the snake was used as the bow string and Lord Vishnu offered himself as the arrow. Lord Brahma took on the role of the charioteer. The entire ocean was used as the quiver to hold the arrows and the four Vedas became the horses to draw the chariot. The call for battle was given. Siva simply opened His third eye and even before the show could begin, it was over.

The three cities represent sharirathryam (the three bodies - gross body, subtle body and casual body), prapanchathryam (the three worlds - gross world, subtle world and casual world), gunathryam (the three gunas - satva, rajas and tamas), avasthathryam (the three states of experience - waking, dream and deep sleep), etc. So to become trigunaatita (to go beyond the three gunas) we must worship Siva.

Siva gives moksha purushaartha. Many people are afraid of moksha because moksha means freedom. We want to hold on to our near and dear ones because of strong attachment. So we must pray to Lord Siva to make us a ripe fruit so that we can get detached from Worldly attachments. We must grow like the 'vellaripazham' fruit (cucumber). This fruit grows on a creeper and being heavy, grows on the ground itself. When it becomes ripe, it detaches itself from the creeper; rather the creeper comes off.

The difference between a vellaripazham fruit and an ordinary fruit is the latter, upon becoming ripe, seperates itself from the tree by falling to the ground whereas in the case of the former, the creeper falls off the fruit. The creeper represents family and other worldly attachments and we are akin to the fruit. As we progress spiritually, worldly attachments will drop off on their own. There is no need for us to ask 'When will they drop off'? Thus we see that the Mrithyunjaya mantra gives all the four purushaartas of the dharma, artha, kama and moksha.

What a beauty Shri Rudra has. It is firmly believed that every deity is pleased withRudra japam, also that by chanting it whatever be the genuine prayers of one, the same will be granted. Rudra japa is spoken of as a great purifier and the most effective expiation (pariharam) for even the worst sins. In summary Rudra japam is the best sadhana for attaining both material and spiritual benefits from Almighty.

If you recite each of the sloka of rudram, each one will bestow its own phala on you. I request you all to carefully understand the inherent meaning of each sloka before trying to learn the sloka and it is very much important why we are reciting it.

Some basic rules while chanting rudram :

1. Understand the meaning of the intonations. I have stressed on the anudhatam and udhatam and swaritam in my first two articles. Those who are new to these, please refer to the first two - three articles.

2. We are praying and praising lord shiva. It needs certain posture to chant veda

a. Do not sit on bare floor. The vibrations of your chanting will be absorbed by the bhoomi or mother earth.

b. Donot lean on the wall while chanting rudram or vedam. Please keep yourself straight.

c. Follow the padmasan while chanting rudram or normal sitting posture with legs folded. Take a deep breath 9 times before chanting. Deep breaths will make you relaxed and remove all evil thoughts if any to clean up the mind.

d. Spine should be straight. That will bring your nadam freely and helps you to retain the breath while chanting. Remember Rudram has longest vesees of vedam and it is difficult to hold breath for long times.

e. A pause can be taken after each anuvaka. Donot stop chanting in the middle. Start a sentence at the lower underlined syllables - anudhatams.

3.Rudram should be chanted loudly. Be as much loud as possible at a higher pitch. Remember - it will not only benifit you but also others who are listening.

-Offering at his lotus feet

Prem

Guest guest

Hello brother Prem,

Thank you for all information's about Rudram Slokas. From the beginning, when

our Beloved One instructed for Rudram to be learned and when I have received the

texts of Anuvakas I was trying to find meanings of slokas. And here you come by

Divine Will.

Pranam to Lotus Feets of our Beloved One for giving you the idea for such task,

as well as energy and knowledge.

Thank you for all the effort, and energy you put in this task. And please

continue. Please just don`t let yourself to be discouraged. I think that many

find this information`s very useful.

This is one of the best explanations of Maha Mrityunjay Mantra that I could

found. Thank you once again.

In Sai Love,

Igor