IndiaDivine.org

HERITAGE OF SHIRDI SAI NEWSLETTER

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

N E W S L E T T E R

VOL28, MAY 2007

FROM SHRI C.B. SATPATHY'S MESSAGE

……"During our time, in the form of Shri Shirdi Sai Baba, had taken place the biggest confluence of all spiritual paths, all religious groups, all cultures and devotees, notwithstanding their wide-ranging variations. The Hindus, Parsees, Muslims and followers of other religions used to come to Him for both temporal and spiritual benefit and got it. The high and low, the young and old, men and women, beggars and rulers all took shelter in Him. He was the kind father to all - the great equalizer of His time. He was a spiritual revolutionary and the greatest social reformer. At Shirdi, He ushered in an epoch of universality and mutual tolerance by meting out equal treatment to all who came - no matter to what religion, social or economic status they belonged. There was no differentiation between males and females before Shri Sai. Thus, Bayaji Maa, Radhakrishna Bai and Laxmi Bai - all became important characters during the time of Sai. The richest man of Nagpur named Buti was there side-by-side with a devotee like Mhalsapati, who could hardly eke out his livelihood. Dasganu, the police constable was treated at par with Nana Saheb Chandorkar, who was the Magistrate. Megha, the cook of Raybahadur Sathe was as important as the master. Kaka Saheb Dixit, one of the greatest solicitors of Maharastra used to beg for Baba at Shirdi, when Baba was sick. Abdul, the Muslim used to look after Baba's personal needs, as much as Shyama, the high caste Brahmin. Saints and Faquirs used to meet Him for spiritual guidance as also the lesser mortals. Even the birds and animals sought refuge in Him. In Shirdi one can see the tomb of a horse and a tiger as also the tombs of Saints like Nanavali, Kumbhar, Bhaw, etc. Ramnavami and Shri Krishna Janma were celebrated by Baba as also Id-ul¬fitr. Baba introduced group dinner, group celebration and even group smoking from Chillum. Under the divine umbrella of Shri Sai all devotees forgot their pettiness of caste, religion and creed and mirthfully lived together. Important people like Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Kaka Saheb Dixit, Buti and many high level officials used to visit Him. Magistrates, Judges, Businessmen, Merchants, Teachers, Police personnel as also beggars, destitute and the poorest of the poor used to visit Him for solace and support.

This was certainly no easy task to perform in a society ridden by religious, social and caste differentiation in the late 19th and early 20th Century. Shri Sai, the son of God not only achieved this with ease but set a futuristic standard for the emancipation of human souls out of these bondages. Where human souls meet purely in a divine plane that place becomes the heaven on earth. For the devotees of Baba, Shirdi was the heaven on earth whereto they ran whenever the call came from the Master as they do today. In this month of Makara Sankranti, when the Kumbha Mela is taking place at Sangam we pray Shri Sainath to bring about a creative and loving confluence among his devotees and all the living beings on earth."…….

FROM "LIFE OF SAI BABA" BY NARASIMHA SWAMI

……"We shall now point out, after careful study and obser¬vation the first prominent flower or fruit that the Sai tree Kalpataru produced, ignoring for the present the earlier petty pioneers like Gopal Rao Gundu, Revenue Inspector. That first flower of fruit is Narayan Govind Chandorkar. He may be termed appropriately the first apostle or Saint Peter of Baba. We shall see how Baba sent for him. Sri N.G. Chandorkar was Personal Assistant to the Collector of Ahmedanagar, and was camping at Kopergaon for jamabandi that is Land Revenue Settlement work. All karnams of the taluk had to attend at the Jamabandi, and the Shirdi karnam also had to attend. No one left Shirdi without permission of Baba, as the experience of everyone was that by leaving with Baba's permission he was safe, and leaving without permission he ran into many dangers. So the Shirdi karnam, Appa Kulkarni, went to Baba and asked him leave to go to Kopergaon for jamabandi work, as the Personal Assistant to the Collector, Narayan Govind Chandorkar was there.

Baba gave him leave, and added, 'Tell your Nana to come here'. Nana is the contracted form of Narayan which can be used only by equals moving on intimate terms. Appa Kulkarni was astounded at the message. He considered that he was too insignificant a person, and that Baba also though a Weird Being of the village was too insignificant to invite the Deputy Collector, a high Gazetted Officer of the Government. But Baba insisted and told him that he might inform the Deputy Collector that it was Baba who invited him. With great diffi¬dence the karnam at the close of the day approached the Deputy Collector and told him that Sai Baba, a fakir of Shirdi, invited him to come to Shirdi. Chandorkar was astounded. He thought that it could not possibly be, and told the karnam that he was a stranger to the fakir and the fakir was a stranger to him, and that he, the karnam, must have some purpose of his own to invite him to his village. Inspite of the karnam's protests, Chandorkar would not believe him and sent him away. When the karnam reported his failure to Baba, Baba repeated the invitation, and again the karnam with considerable diffidence approached the Deputy Collector the second day and repeated the invitation. The second invitation had the same fate and for the same reasons as the first. That again was reported to Baba, and like the Prophetess Sibyl of Rome, Baba tried a third time and with success. Baba pressed the hesitating karnam to repeat the invitation for the third time. This time the invitation had effect. Nana Chandorkar thought that there must be something in it, and so he told the karnam that he would visit Shirdi but not immediately. Chandorkar did keep his promise. Sometime after going to Ahmednagar, he did go and pay a visit to Shirdi. After making a present of sugar candy and almond with some reverence to Baba, Chandorkar asked Baba whether it was true that he sent for him, and when that was admitted, why had he sent for him. Baba said, `'There are thousands of persons in this world, and do I send for them all? Should there not be some special reason why you alone should be sent for?' Chandorkar said that he was unable to see any special reason. Then Baba made the solemn statement, `You and I have been connected with each other in four former births. I now invite you to come and again have your contact. When leisure serves, you may come'. Chandorkar was surprised by this statement, and in any case was not fully impressed. He left the place with the impression that he need not return to Shirdi. But he did come, details of which are found elsewhere and began his grand work of carrying on propaganda for Baba. With that, Baba's mission and life, and personality enter a new stage."……

TOPIC OF DISCUSSION

Relevance of Sai in Today's Society

Sai is omnipresent and transcends all barriers of time, space and action. He is God incarnate.

(a) Sai is our Guide, who shows the correct path and makes us good human beings. (b) As the erosion of human values and ethics takes place in the current materialistic world, there is definitely a need for a Master, who can prevent such degradation from occurring. Sai is that Master.© Service beyond self is a virtue losing its credence these days. A Sai Bhakta, by virtue of being a devotee, shall have no inhibition in rendering boundless service to the needy. (d) Human life is never smooth sailing. Tensions, problems, needs are in plenty. It would be rare to find a life without any predicaments. In those hard times, we need support to tide us over those problems. That support is Sai. (e) Success in life is an abstract phenomenon. No one desires to be a failure. But all successes are not the outcome of human endeavor only and divine intervention plays a role in our success. That intervention is Sai. (f) It is very easy to preach to others to respect all castes, creeds and religions. But the social realities show that people do not act in this way. Our Sai is beyond such divisions. Knowing him and following him shall take us closer to this aim of "Vasudeva Kudumbakam".

How can you then say that Sai isn't relevant in today's society?

RVS Mani, Lt Col (Retd)

Share your views on Topic of Discussion- Sai's Message to the Children

ARTICLE

Human Life

I don't entirely agree with the way some people predict human life, as nothing but a miserable, painful, hopeless existence driven by Maya; where wants and desires are never ending and a man crave for more and more without any satisfaction.

I would like to ask all such people who think along similar lines, just one question: Why would Baba send his children to suffer pain and misery if human life was that bad?

Hasn't anyone thought that all humans may come on earth with a purpose and their presence on this lovely, lively, wonderful planet is not just mere coincidence or chance but they are here to fulfill certain tasks assigned to them by the Almighty. And, also to enjoy and appreciate His creation, and work their way forward by becoming better human beings by their every action and thereby getting closer to self realization day by day.

Those who think only about negative aspects of human life show their lack of trust and faith in the creator. Since we are the smartest species on the planet why not utilize human knowledge and skills to improve the living condition of fellow human beings and other less fortunate species? Spiritual development and day to day work should be two faces of same coin and not two separate coins. If all acts are done with a thought of dedicating them to Baba, there will not be any sense of doership associated with the task, hence no ego either and then even a family man can progress towards the path of self realization while successfully performing his daily duties as ordained and expected by the human society.

Just as one cannot appreciate the warmth of sun if one has not experienced cold, similarly happiness and joy has no meaning if one doesn't know sadness or pain. To a man away from home, happiness comes when he is with family and friends. To a spiritual person, spiritual discourse and songs of praise of the creator give happiness, whereas talk of atheists causes pain. So to say that sadness or pain doesn't serve any purpose will not be a correct statement, as it may help a person appreciate the blessings he has received or will get in time to come. What is needed is Shradhha and Saburi. One can go through all phases of life successfully by believing that Baba is always watching His children and there is nothing to fear.

That is to say that one should try to do his very best in the situation he is in, invoke Baba in all thoughts and acts, enjoy the beautiful creation, give his small contribution to human development and try to live a contented life.

Nitesh Shrivastava,USA

Share your experience, articles poems etc.

POEM

Where are You My Lord? Where are You?

I have searched for YouIn temples and ashramsIn masjids and minarsBut, I failed to feel You.

I have searched for YouIn churches and chapelsIn gurudwaras and gopuramsBut, I failed to absorb You.

I have searched for YouIn discources and bhajansIn meditations and murthisBut, I failed to invoke You.

I have searched for YouIn mountains and valleysIn forests and cavesBut, I failed to see You.

I have searched for YouIn rivers and rivuletsIn brooks and lakesBut, I failed to trace You.

I have searched for YouIn flowers and fragrancesIn the universe and etherBut, I failed to know You.

I have searched for YouIn swamis and sadhusIn gurus and samadhisBut, I failed to get You.

I have searched for YouIn japa and tapaIn fasting and recitingBut, I failed to hold on to You.

I have searched for YouIn retreats and resolutionsIn resorts and rationalisationBut, I failed to meet You.

I have searched for YouEverywhere day and nightIt is now beyond my imaginationReveal Yourself Oh my Lord!

Ah! You are here my Lord, within Me!Just waiting for me to open up to YouYes, You will not reveal to half-hearted efforts Unless I submit myself by thought, word and action

My Lord! You are within meBut, fool am I thatI searched for you outsideWithout giving up what I am holding onAnd living upto your expectations.

Due to my ignorance and arroganceI failed to enjoy Your love for me so far You are just waiting for my correct moves To take me into Your lap.

Thank You My Lord!For the transformationNow, I can see You clearlyIn every beam of Sun-raysIn every moon-lit nightIn every flowerIn every smileIn everything animate and inanimateIn fact, YOU ARE and nothing else.

Thank You My Lord for Your Blessings and Love

Paritala Gopi Krishna

Share your experience, articles poems etc.

DEVOTEES' FORUM

While I was meditating I observed the Paradox of Human nature. People throng in multitudes before the Guru or Spiritual master. The highly intellectual society, celebrities and famous musicians are part of it. I do not understand why the simple thing is incomprehensible to the many people. That is you can become a Paramahamsa by your own self. The people verily see the Guru to be very simple, egoless, loving and kind, smiling, disciplined and honest, morally high and mentally strong. The people attend Satsang, which always imparts the aforesaid things. Yet the people go to meet the Guru in expensive costumes, scents, imported perfumes, display pompousness and opportunistic behaviour and are greedy to get the attraction of the Guru and his blessings. Crowds gather on different occasions such as political meetings, shows involving film stars, sports and games meet, etc. What is unique about a spiritual gathering is that it is not meant for any benefit other than the Guru wishing for the welfare of his disciples. The former gathering is meant for personal or collective benefit and involves opportunism but the later one is meant for welfare of others and involves the sacrifice of the Guru.Gurus sacrifice their life for the welfare of the society. Loving our own brethren is difficult for us. Guru loves each and every one. Guru's mind is fixed in divinity. His actions are fixed in human welfare. We, the common people, presume the Guru to possesses incomprehensible powers, working wonders with mantras and austerities. It is not so. They have love and kindness flowing all over the body, which makes them most sought after. If you always meditate upon the welfare of the others and show kindness to all, then you acquire spiritual powers. A mind that is without ego, jealousy, lust, anger and greed is stronger than a mind that has these weaknesses.

VSP Haran, Patna

Baba Sai is Universal. Barring our body and names, He resides in all beings. Sai Baba is Brahman and His sayings, Brahman is my father and Maya is my brother. Dwarka Mai is home of mercy, God Sai Baba is Salvation and will relieve us from the vortex of birth and re birth. God Sai Baba is now here, within the body and mind of humans and all beings, be they humans who have ability to think, talk and behave, animals, fruit, leaves, the soil, ants and all. Baba Sai is All. Baba Bless all. He is ever in all of us humans and all beings.

Haresh G Jagiani, Tanzania

Share your feelings about Shirdi Sai in Devotees' Forum

READER'S REFLECTION

Thank you very much for your newsletter by e-mail. It is Sai's grace. I have been looking at it and fearing that it could be one of those letters asking me to send them to a fixed number of people or I would suffer disaster. I did not open it. But today, seated at my computer, anxious and full of fear of deception regarding a tenancy problem, I ventured to open it and find a little solace.

I respect Baba. But I am not one of those who go every week, fast, become vegetarian, but do not work for the salary they take. I do not indulge in hate politics. I do not deceive anyone, or take what is not rightfully mine. I help as much as I can and seek God's help to give me the wherewithal to help others.

Now I seek His blessings once again and beg him to bring stability in my life and in the life of my children. I have been deceived - so many times - husband, his brothers, my brother, strangers, and now I fear deception from my tenant. How can I pray to Sai Baba to help me? Is there a formal procedure? Please guide me. I am in great distress. I have faced court cases, lost them, I have been beaten up by my husband's sister in law and he stood watching, I have been forced to leave home with my children and seek refuge in the university quarters and he stood watching. I feel it is my last birth's karma otherwise it could not be so bad. Please guide me if you can. I feel so depressed with the injustice meted to me!!!

Geetha Reddy Anant, Chennai

Thank you for sending the Shri Sai Baba's Newsletter. Since I do not get the hard copy of the issue (as I'm in the US) it is good that at least I get to read the online version.

You and the team are doing excellent work in promoting interest and awareness of Shri Sai Baba. I am a devotee of Baba and have supreme faith in Him. He has never failed to help me in times of my need!

Samir Vyas, Durham, NC

Share Reader's Reflection

NEWS OF SHIRDI SAI ACTIVITIES

SHIRDI SAI BABA SANSTHAN, CANADA

Shirdi Sai Baba Sansthan, Canada holds Satsang on Thursdays and third Sunday of every month at Gur Mandir, 207 Queen's Plate, Toronto (Etobicoke). For other Details call 416-294-4804 or visit http://www.shirdisainath.org/

THE RESOURCE CENTRE

Shirdi Sai Baba Sansthan, Canada is pleased to announce the establishment of it's first Resource Centre in Woodbridge, Toronto. All visits are by appointment only. Shri Sai Satcharita is available in all languages. The Resource Centre is open Monday to Friday between 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Location: Maple Crest Private School - 28 Roytech Rd. Woodbridge, On L4L 8E4 Ph: 905 - 652-6666. For other Details call 416-294-4804 or visit http://www.shirdisainath.org/

SHIRDI SAI MANDIR, TORONTO, CANADA

The Shirdi Sai Mandir located at 2721 Markham Road, Toronto, Ontario, M1X 1L5 (Intersection of Markham and Nashdene) is open through out the day on Saturday, Sunday and holidays and in the morning and evenings on all weekdays. Baba's Kakad Aarti, Abhishek Puja, Madhyan Aarti, Dhoop Aarti, Satcharita Reading and Shej Aarti are performed every day. Bhajans and Sai Naam Sankirtan in the evening on Thursday and Saturday. For information regarding the daily schedule, temple activities and events please visit Mandir's website: http://www.theshirdisaimandir.com/ or send an email to info or call 647-444-4724.

SHIRDI SAI PARIVAR VANCOUVER

Shirdi Sai parivar in Vancouver holds Satsang on Thursday (6.30-7.30pm)and Sai abhishek and aarti first Sunday of every month at 8571, 118A St, Delta, V4C 6L2. For further details contact (604) 592 4182 or email,sai_ish.

SHRI SHIRDI SAI SANSTHAN LOS ANGELES

By the grace of our Shirdi Sai we are happy to announce the inauguration of Shri Shirdi Sai Temple in LA region in the city of Montebello. We need the support of all Sai Devotees. For more information please email krishna

SHIRDI SAI CENTER, BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA

Daily timings and activities:

Weekdays:6:15 am – 7:40 am: Abhishekam and Kakad Arathi at 6:30 am11.45 am – 12:30 pm: Madhyan Arathi at 12:00 pm6:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Dhoop Arathi at 6:30 pm and Shej Arathi at 8:30 pm

Weekends:6:15 am – 7:40 am: Kakad Arathi at 6:30 am11:00 am – 9:30 pm: Madhyan Arathi at 12:00 pm, Dhoop Arathi at 6:30 pm and Shej Arathi at 8:30 pm

Every Thursday:7:30 pm – 8:30 pm: Shirdi Sai Bhajans

For more information please call 408-705-7904 / 408-564-6704 or send email to saibandhu or visit our website at http://www.Shirdisaiparivaar.org

SHRI SHIRDI SAI SAMAJ MALAYSIA

No.744-1, Tingkat 1, Jln. Sentul Selatan, Sentul, 51000 Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaThis is a new Shirdi Baba center in malaysia. We conduct weekly prayers/arathi at the following times:Friday - 7pm - 10.30pmSunday - Noon - 2.30pm

Our official centre website is http://saisamaj.blogspot.comFor more information, please email hyperkinetix

PERSATUAN SHIRDI SAI BABA SELANGOR, MALAYSIA

This is to inform all of you that we have a Shirdi Sai Baba Temple in Malaysia. Here we have daily prayers and special prayers on thursday mornings 9.00am and bhajans and satsang from 8 pm onwards. Also breakfast, lunch and dinner, cooked by our seva-group is provided to all devotees. other than that first thursday of the month we have talk on spirituality, second thursday on health, third thursday satsang on Sai Satcharitra, fourth thursday talk on general topics, by experts in the respective fields. Lot of charitable activities are conducted by our Centre,like sponsoring immediate services to childrens\' homes, old-folks homes, sick and needy, etc. etc.

If any devotee, from Malaysia or Singapore likes to join our Centre, please contact Mr.SP Kannan at Mobile -012-2739486; usha - 006122392911; Res: 03-33717540. Our Centre address is : Persatuan Shirdi Sai Baba Selangor, No.2574, Jalan Seruling 59, Taman Klang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.Thank you and Sai Ram.

SHIRDI SAI TEMPLE SINGAPORE

The dream of having a full fledged exclusive Shirdi Sai Temple in Singapore, will soon come true. Thanks to the efforts of a Sai devotee in making this happen. The Shirdi Sai Baba Centre in Singapore is now live with the 3rd floor function hall, Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman temple, being secured and converted to a full fledged exclusive Shirdi Sai worship centre. The Centre will be devoted to celebrating the life & teachings of Shirdi Sai Baba only. For more information visit our website http://www.saisansthan.com

SHIRDI SAI BABA SANSTHAN, AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND

The bhajan and puja are currently being held at Mt Roskill War Memorial Hall, 13 May Road, Mt Roskill, Auckland. Bhajans Every ThursdayVenue Mt Roskill War Memorial Hall, 13 May Road, Mt Roskill, Auckland

7.00 pm - 7.50 pm Sai Bhajans, 7.50 pm - 8.10 pm Pravachan and Sai Ashtotharam 8.10 pm - 8.30 pm Shej Aarthi8.30 pm - 9.00 pm Prasad distribution.Meditation and Parayana Center: Every SaturdayVenue 16 Mt Roskill Rd, Mt Roskill, Auckland.From 6 pm to 8 pm

Share News from your part of the world

Subscribe to Heritage of Shirdi Sai magazineHeritage of Shirdi Sai is a quarterly publication that brings to its readers, all over the world, Shirdi Sai Philosophy, which transcends time and place. There are four issues in a year.

Gift a SubscriptionYou may have given many different gifts to your friends and loved ones, but giving a subscription of "Heritage of Shirdi Sai" magazine would be a unique gift as it connects the people you love with SADGURU SHIRDI SAI and brings His blessings with the gift.

Post an Article We invite you to send articles, experiences, poems and news on events from your part of the world to us.

Topic of Discussion

Topic of Discussion feature is intended to initiate useful discussions on topics related to Shirdi Sai Philosophy and His teachings, Guru Tradition, Teachings of the Sadguru, the nature and functions of the Perfect Masters, true devotion, qualification of a disciple, etc.

TOPIC OF DISCUSSION : SAI'S MESSAGE TO THE CHILDREN

Reader's Reflection

We look forward to your valued suggestions, feedbacks, and contributions, anything that will help us enhance the quality of the magazine.

Children Submit Your Creative Work

Send your poem, article or drawing on SHIRDI SAI BABA and the best ones will be showcased in Heritage of Shirdi Sai Magazine and in this page. Any kid up to 18 years of age can send in writing, artwork.

News

Send News on events related to Shirdi Sai from your part of the world to us so that we can share it with all the Sai Devotees.

Advertisement

In order to ensure that Heritage Of Shirdi Sai sustains itself and is available to devotees at affordable rates, we do solicit advertisements. However, in keeping with the magazine's philosophy and approach, the advertisements would be displayed as banners and not creative commercial product.

What is Sukarya? How can you be part of it? Curious? click here

Sukarya is launching a fully equipped mobile diagnostic clinic for the remote areas. If you want to help in this contact us.

Sukarya requires Volunteers for their various activities (Life Skills, good health camps, workshops, Micro Enterprise Program). For details see Volunteer or contact us

Copyright Heritage of Shirdi Sai 2007. All rights reserved. www.heritageofshirdisai.org

If you do not wish to receive any emails from us in future, please send us a reply with subject UNSUBSCRIBE.