IndiaDivine.org

Fw: KANSAI LIGHT, OCTOBER 2008, ISSUE NO.34

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- On Wed, 10/1/08, Ramchand Chugani <rgcjp wrote:

Ramchand Chugani <rgcjpKANSAI LIGHT, OCTOBER 2008, ISSUE NO.34"OMSAIRAM..RAMCHAND GHANSHAMDAS CHUGANI" <rgcjpWednesday, October 1, 2008, 5:55 PM

KANSAI LIGHT , OCTOBER 2008. ISSUE NO.34

News letter of Sri Sathya Sai Organization Japan

address: I.S.S, 2nd Fl, 1-3, Kumochi 5-Chome, Chuo Ku Kobe

Tel: 078-222-1885, Email: rgcjp

---------Thought for the Day

In all the efforts that you make, if you place your trust in a Higher Power, the work becomes easy. This reliance on the Lord, the source of all power, results out of one's intense devotion. When you travel by train, you only have to purchase the ticket, enter the right train and take a seat, leaving the rest to the engine. So too, put your trust in the Lord and carry on to the best of your ability. Have faith in the Lord and His Grace. Try to earn it using the intelligence and the discrimination He has endowed you with.------

SCENE 1

LADY 1: Did you hear that this Young Swami is God? It seems that people from all the surrounding places are flocking to have the darshan of Bala Swami.

LADY 2: Sister, I too want to have the darshan of this Young Swami. Shall we all go together for darshan?

GROUP: Alright.

LADY: Come sister, we shall all go together.

GROUP: Alright. ….. What do you say? …. Come on, come!……….Come mother…..Here auntie……. I am coming!

MAN 1: Kondama Raju is Guru for all of us but for him, his Grandson is the Guru!

MAN 2: Not just Guru but God in human form, with miraculous powers.

EASWARAMMA: What is it that people are saying about our Sathyam?

VENKAMA RAJU: They believe that Sathyam is God. In many neighbouring places also, Sathyam is revered as God. But there are also some that disbelieve, while others attribute it all to magic and mantras. Easwari, what can we do about the way people think?

EASWARAMMA: Even father-in-law thinks that Sathyam is God.

VENKAMA: That is true. Once he said to me that his Guru Venkavadoota told him that in order to protect the world, Lord Narayana would Himself be born in the Ratnakara lineage. Based on that prediction, father believes that our Sathyam is Lord Sriman Narayana.

EASWARAMMA: Is it? Listening to all that you say, perhaps what Venkavadoota said has come true. In any case, whatever happens, Sathyam must always be near me.

SCENE 2

GROUP: Salutations!

VENKAMA RAJU: Salutations!

PERSON: Salutations, Mr. Venkama Raju!

PERSON 2: We are from Kottacheruvu.

PERSON 3: We have heard a lot about the Young Swami.

VENKAMA: Very happy.

LADY: We have come from Uravakonda to see Young Swami.

EASWARAMMA: Is that so?

LADY 2: Is she Easwaramma?…. Salutations mother!

EASWARAMMA: Salutations.

LADY 3: Mother, we consider it a great fortune to have your darshan!

SUBBAMMA: Easwaramma,……Easwaramma!

EASWARAMMA: Come, Subbamma!

SATHYA: In all of you, there is a third eye that you cannot see. That is the Eye of Wisdom! Open that eye and you will see that God is not just here or there but everywhere! Develop Love in your hearts. Always adhere to Truth [sathya] and Righteousness [Dharma]. Those who have attained the Knowledge of the Atma, will not specially go in search of God because they can see God wherever they are. May all good be unto you!

SUBBAMMA: Easwaramma, your house is not big enough to accommodate the devotees who throng to see Sathyam. Many devotees are standing outside, unable to get in. My house is more spacious; it can not only accommodate more devotees but is also very convenient for having bhajans and various other ceremonies. What do you think?

EASWARAMMA: As you say, Subbamma.

SUBBAMMA: Very good; shall I now take leave of you?

But after a few days, even Subbamma’s spacious house was not enough to accommodate the ever increasing number of Sathyam’s followers.

SUBBAMMA: Saying that your house is not spacious enough, we shifted the venue of the Thursday bhajans to my place. Now, even this house is not big enough! Day by day, the crowd of devotees is increasing!

EASWARAMMA: True Subbamma. When I see devotees worshipping Sathyam, I feel it is all due to the merit acquired by Him in earlier births. At the same time, I am scared by the jealousy of others. I don’t want any harm to come to Him. Personally, I think it would be safer for Him to remain just my son, rather than the One who is Universally adored!

SUBBAMMA: Easwaramma, you need not have such fears. Sathyam is no ordinary boy as you seem to imagine. He is the gift of Lord Sathya Narayana, and cannot be harmed by any evil force whatsoever. I will make available some land I have near the Chitravathi River. Devotees can stay there and sing bhajans, while I take care of all the arrangements. Sathyam also can reside there. That will make it possible for Him to spend all His time with devotees.

EASWARAMMA: Subbamma, why are you so generous?

SUBBAMMA: Easwaramma, don’t say that! Rather, it is my good fortune to know at least now that Sathyam who was born right before my eyes is verily God Himself! When you serve God, it is not called generosity! Easwaramma, it is my supreme good fortune to perform service to Sathyam!

EASWARAMMA: Subbamma, I am lost! I don’t understand anything. All I want is that my child should not be separated from me!

SUBBAMMA: Don’t we all feel pain? As the mother of One born for a special Mission and who is also the Master of the Aeon, you must be prepared to make some sacrifices. Worldly bonds are for the ordinary but not for One who has come with a Mission. Your Son is drawing the whole world to Him. Just as the waves of the entire ocean come to the shores, devotees from all over the world will throng to Sathyam. We must all be happy about it and not feel disturbed. Easwaramma, don’t be afraid.

SATHYA:

Evil thoughts bring misery,

While good thoughts bring joy.

But one who is free from thoughts

Enjoys total peace!

This is the Truth that Sai wishes to convey!

A cloth is a combination of threads but if the threads are all removed, there is no cloth. In the same manner, if all thoughts are removed, there will be no mind! Human values latent in man will blossom only when there is a ceiling on desires. A person lacking in human values is not fit to be called a human being.

If Sathya is abandoned,

It is equal to losing one’s head;

If Dharma is given up,

It is equal to losing one’s shoulders;

And lack of Shanti,

Is equal to having no stomach!

Prema is the basis for all the three!

Love in thought is Sathya, and love in action is Dharma. If there is Love in us, there will also be peace.

OM SHANTI, SHANTI, SHANTI HI!

------

Sai Baba's Quotes from Sri Sai Satcharitra

Sai Baba : "If I accept one rupee from anyone as 'dakshina', I have to return many more times of it. I never accept anything gratis from anybody nor do I ask for 'dakshina' indiscriminately. I only ask and take from him towards whom the 'Fakir' (God) points out. If anyone is indebted in his previous birth to the 'Fakir", then only 'dakshina' is received from him. The donor gives and sows the seeds to reap a rich harvest in future. Wealth should only be used to earn 'Dharma'. If it is used for personal enjoyment, it is wasted. Unless you have given charity before, you cannot, get it now. So, the best way to receive is to give. The giving of'dakshina' leads to Vairagya' (non-attachment) and thereby to 'Bhakti and' Gyan." Sai Baba : "Why should any fear when I

am there. Cast all burdens on Me, I shall bear them." Sai Baba : "Have faith in Me. Even though I give up this body, My bones in My Samadhi will give you hope and confidence. Not only I but My Samadhi would be speaking, moving and communicating with those who surrender to Me whole heartedly. Do not feel disappointed that I would be away from you. You will hear my bones speaking and discussing your welfare. If you remember Me constantly and have faith in Me, heart and soul, you shall be greatly benefited."

Sai Baba : "Keeping your mind steady continue to do your duty fearlessly and have faith in My words. If My 'Leela's' [deeds] are written, 'avidya' [nascence/ ignorance] will vanish and if these are attentively and devotedly listened to, the consciousness of the worldly existence will abate, and strong waves of devotion will arise. If one dives deep into My 'Leela's', he shall obtain precious jewels of knowledge." Sai Baba : "My Guru never taught Me any Mantra, how could I then blow any Mantra in your ears? Just remember that Guru's tortoise like loving glance gives us happiness. Do not, therefore, try to get Mantra or sermon [updesh] from any body. Make Me the sole object of your thoughts and actions and you will, no doubt attain 'Parmartha'- the spiritual goal of life. Look at Me whole-heartedly and I,

in turn, will look at you similarly." Sai Baba : "Give [Charity] with faith and magnanimity [liberally]; give with modesty, sympathy and respectfully. " Sai Baba : " He who loves me most, always experiences my presence. The whole world is desolate to him without Me." Sai Baba : "If you spread your palms with devotion before Me, I shall immediately be with you at any time of the day and night. Though I am here physically yet I know all that happens beyond the seven seas. Seated in your heart, I am in fact your Inner Self. Always worship Him alone who is seated in your heart as well as in the hearts of all beings. Blessed and fortunate indeed is he, who is aware of My omnipresent and omniscient form."-----------------

MUSINGS ON AVATARS - PART 7

By Prof. G. Venkataraman

(Continued from the previous issue)

Dear Readers, for 40 previous issues – from October 2004 to February 2008 - we brought you a spiritual feast in the form of the "Gita for Children" in a serialized form. Prior to that, we had started our first series entitled "Shirdi Sai – Parthi Sai" which is continuing till date. The "Gita for Children" series was taken from the book "Krishna - Arjuna Dialogue" authored by Prof. Venkataraman. As we concluded the final segment of this book in February 2008 issue, from March 2008, we started a new series on "Avatars" or Divine Incarnations. The articles in this series are actually adaptations of talks delivered recently on Radio Sai by Prof. G. Venkataraman, and are based on the book "Message of the Lord" authored by him a few years earlier. We hope H2H readers will relish the spiritual insights this series offers.

The last episode concluded with a description of a dice game in which the Pandavas lost everything and Draupadi was about to be humiliated publicly when Krishna’s grace saved her. Following that, on Gandhari’s advice, King Dhritarashtra gave back to the Pandavas the kingdom they had lost through gambling. But that did not mean that the Pandavas troubles were over. On the contrary, the dice game that ended disastrously was just the beginning. What happened next? Read on.

THE EPIC MAHABHARATA: The Kauravas and the pandavas(continued...)

This scene in the Mahabharatha (the epic story of the Pandavas and the Kauravas), is deep with significance. It shows how even the clever and the righteous can, at critical times, lose their discrimination (as did Yudhishtra). It shows that even the learned and the wise sometimes turn a blind eye to grave misdeeds in society, shirking their duty to protest and give expression to their conscience (as did Bhishma, Drona and Kripa during the dice game that was described last time). Above all, it shows how when everything else seems lost, there is still the Lord, the last resort; and He never fails a loyal devotee.

God Immediately Answers a Heartfelt Prayer

Duryodhana chides his father for giving away all that he had won

Swami often describes the rescue of Draupadi by Krishna and then refers to a later personal meeting between the two of them when Draupadi asks, "O Krishna, what took You so long to come to my rescue?" To that Krishna replies, "Draupadi, you hailed me as Dwarakavasi [the One who lives in Dwaraka] and so I had to first rush to Dwaraka to make your words true. Then you addressed Me as Mathuravasi [the One who lives in Mathura] which made me rush to Mathura.

With all this running around, I couldn't come quickly to your aid. Finally, you hailed Me as Hridayavasi [the One who dwells in the Hridaya or the heart]. At that point, I could rush immediately because no long distance travel was involved!" The point being made is simply that God is not here or there; He is present right in our hearts 24/7, and that really is where we must look for Him.

Barely had the Pandavas departed after that turbulent drama, than Duryodhana pounced upon his father for glibly gifting away what had been won with deep stratagem. Duryodhana said to his father: “The Pandavas were like wounded serpents and they would now be waiting to attack; and before that happens, they must be totally neutralised. The only way is to win the kingdom back from them with yet another game of dice and then banish them to the forest.”

"Dice game again? Which fool would agree to that?" Dhritarashtra asked, to which Duryodhana replied, "Father you seem to forget that no matter what the circumstances, a person of royal blood can never refuse an invitation to a game of dice. That is his code of conduct and you know Yudhishtra is a stickler for observing the code." The weakling and the doting father that he was, Dhritarashtra yielded to his son's perverted arguments and Vidura was once again sent to invite the Pandavas.

Playing Dice with Fate

After losing again, the Pandavas are exiled to the forest

"Once bitten, twice shy", says the proverb. No matter what the code of etiquette, the Pandavas could, with justification, have refused the invitation for a second round but strangely, each one reconciled to it for a different reason. Bhima, for example, felt that this time by winning they could wipe out the ignominy of the former occasion.

And so it was that the second round of the dice game commenced, hardly before the wounds inflicted in the first had healed. This time, Sakuni changed the bets; the losing party would go away in exile to the forest for a period of twelve years, followed by one year of incognito existence.

If during that one year period their identity is discovered, the whole penalty would have to be gone through again i.e., another twelve years in the forest followed by one year of incognito life. The deal was agreed to and the game commenced. Once again Sakuni cheated and in no time at all, Yudhishtra won for the Pandavas the thirteen-year hardship.

Soon after the Pandavas left for the forest, Vidura remonstrated with Dhritarashtra for being nose-led by his vile sons. In his heart Dhritarashtra knew that what Vidura said was correct but unable to stomach the truth, he ordered Vidura out, and Vidura departed gladly. But soon better sense prevailed on the blind king, for without Vidura, he was doubly blind. A messenger was sent to fetch Vidura, who, by this time, had joined the Pandavas; thus within a jiffy, Vidura was back to his thankless job of advising a king who was not only blind but deaf as well (to his sane advice, that is).

Krishna Joins His Beloved Pandavas

Meanwhile Krishna, who was busy in Dwaraka grappling with His own problems heard about the double debacle suffered by the Pandavas and rushed to the forest to commiserate with them. While many advocated immediate war, Yudhishtra was cool, firmly committed to the assurance given earlier that the loser would serve a thirteen-year hardship. Draupadi who was still smarting under the humiliation she had suffered, asked Krishna with anguish: "O Krishna, my tormentors have gone scot-free while the great Pandava heroes are here in the forest. Is their might and prowess doomed to hibernation in this jungle? Why don't You speak out?" Visibly moved, Krishna replied, "My dear sister, listen to Me. Those who tormented you cannot go scot-free; on the contrary, they are doomed to miserable death in a bloody battle field. I can see it coming but you cannot. All I ask for from you is patience - that is all."

Arjuna withdraws to the Himalayas to meditate on Siva

And so with much patience and fortitude, the Pandavas went through the twelve long years of hardship and difficulties, and of course, with it numerous experiences as well. Indraprastha, the kingdom they once ruled, now came under the control of the Kauravas and it was not clear if the Kauravas would return it at the end of the exile period.

Therefore, in preparation for a possible war, Arjuna, on the advice of elders, withdrew for a while to the Himalayas to meditate on Siva, offer intense penance and seek the boon of divine weapons. Pleased with Arjuna's devotion, Siva in due course blessed him with an immensely powerful missile known as Pasupata.

One day during the exile period, Duryodhana and Karna got the idea of going to the forest Dvaitavana where the Pandavas were spending time so that they could personally see the suffering of the exiled ones, and gloat over it.

But when the Kauravas went to Dvaitavana with their army and royal retinue, they faced obstruction from a Gandharva prince and a fight ensued. Curiously, in spite of their great strength, the Kauravas were worsted in the fight and were taken captive. Instead of seeing the Pandavas in trouble, Duryodhana was himself in difficulties, having been bound hand and foot! Some of the Kauravas who escaped capture ran to Yudhishtra to give him the news. And what did Yudhishtra do?

He ordered Bhima and Arjuna to attack the Gandharvas and secure the release of Duryodhana! Bhima was aghast, and at first, flatly refused but Yudhishtra told him in compelling terms, "Bhima, I know how you feel but Kauravas are our cousins. One should not rejoice at the suffering of even one's worst enemy; that being the case, how can you exult on the suffering of your own cousin? That is not in conformity with Dharma." Though not fully convinced, Bhima and Arjuna yielded to their elder brother because when it came to adherence to Dharma there was no greater stickler! In no time at all, the Gandharvas were vanquished and the release of Duryodhana was secured. Ashamed and thoroughly humiliated, the Kauravas returned to Hastinapura, their mission having completely backfired.

Yudhishtra Wins the Lives of His Brothers

Yudhishtra's comes upon his dead brothers

Yudhishtra's extraordinary commitment to Dharma is exemplified by an incident which took place during the exile. One day, while wandering in the forest, Yudhishtra became very thirsty and asked Nakula to fetch some water.

Nakula searched and soon found a pool. Feeling thirsty himself, he thought he would first take a sip before taking water for his elder brother. Just then he heard a voice which said: "I am the Yaksha who is the Lord of this pool. Before you drink my water, you must first answer my questions; if you violate my stipulation, you would fall dead." Nakula was so thirsty that he did not pay attention to the warning; he drank some water and promptly fell dead.

As Nakula did not return for quite a while, Yudhishtra sent Sahadeva to investigate and also get some water. It was the same story again; Sahadeva too violated the warning and fell dead. After this it was the turn of Bhima and Arjuna, and finally, thoroughly perplexed, Yudhishtra set out to investigate. He too reached the fatal pool and saw the corpses of his four brothers. Even as he was wondering as to what had happened, the voice sounded again with the usual caveat. Yudhishtra realised that all his brothers must have ignored the warning and learning from that experience, decided to answer the questions posed.

The questions from the so-called Lord of the pool followed in rapid fire.

"What makes the Sun to shine every day?"

Yudhishtra replied, "The power of Brahman."

"What rescues man in danger?"

"Courage."

"By what study does a man become wise?"

"Wisdom does not come from study but by association with the wise and the great."

And so on it went. Finally,

"What is happiness?"

"Character is happiness."

"What is that by abandoning which man becomes the beloved of all?"

"Pride."

"What is that which when lost leads to joy?"

"Anger."

"And, what is the greatest wonder in the world?"

"People believing they would live for ever, even though they see people dying everyday!"

Yudhishtra's adherance to Dharma restores his brothers' lives

Pleased, the voice said, "O Wise One, you may have one of your brothers back alive; I leave the choice to you. Which among the four do you want alive?" Without a moment's hesitation, Yudhishtra replied, "I want Nakula; please restore him to life." The voice said, "This I shall gladly do but would you first tell me why you chose Nakula and not say Bhima or Arjuna?"

To that Yudhishtra answered, "O Lord of the pool, my father had two wives - Kunti and Madri. I am the eldest son of Kunti, and Nakula is the eldest son of Madri. It was in the interest of natural justice that I asked for the restoration of Nakula, for in that manner both my mothers would have one surviving son each."

At this stage, the voice assumed a form and revealed itself; it was none other than Yama or Dharmaraja, the father of Yudhishtra. He said, "Son, I am mighty pleased with you and as a token of my happiness, I shall restore all your brothers to life. Only a few days remain for the completion of your twelve year exile. It will pass off smoothly and the thirteenth year also will pass by. You are a shining beacon of Dharma and one day you will reign as king supreme."

Draupadi is tormented by Kichaka

Finally came the thirteenth year which had to be spent incognito. For this purpose, assuming appropriate disguises, the Pandavas accompanied by Draupadi went to the court of King Virata and found suitable employment there.

One day towards the end of the incognito period Draupadi who was being continually harassed by a man called Kichaka complained to Bhima about her problem. Suitably enticing Kichaka to a secluded spot Bhima killed him after a fierce fight. This was no ordinary feat since Kichaka was a huge ruffian.

Word about this reached the Kauravas and they strongly suspected that Kichaka's death must have occurred at the hands of Bhima. Wanting to expose the disguise of the Pandavas and thus exile them for another thirteen years, they rushed to the kingdom of Virata and attacked it.

A battle ensued in which Arjuna, though in disguise as a female, participated and the Kauravas were defeated. Duryodhana protested that he had seen through the disguise of the Pandavas, and that therefore they had to repeat their exile as per the original conditions. The Pandavas refused, insisting that by the time Duryodhana woke up, the exile period was actually over, a fact confirmed by Bhishma. Duryodhana refused to accept the contention, and there was tension in the air.

The big question in everyone's mind was: What would happen now? Though the Pandavas knew well the psychology of their Kaurava cousins, still the ever-peaceful Yudhishtra decided to try the olive branch by sending an emissary to the court of Dhritarashtra, seeking a peaceful return of Indraprastha which had been annexed by the Kauravas during the exile period. As was widely forecast, the emissary returned with empty hands.

Making the Right Choice

The war clouds now began to gather, and both camps began to line up allies in the event of an armed conflict. As a part of this exercise, both Duryodhana and Arjuna went to Dwaraka to seek Krishna's help. Fully aware that the two were coming, Krishna staged a little drama. Even as the two were arriving, He lay in His bed, pretending to be fast asleep. By the side of His head, there was placed a chair. Both Duryodhana and Arjuna being well known to Krishna had the right of free entry into Krishna's palace, right up to the bedroom.

Both camps prepare for war...

A glimpse of what was to come..

Duryodhana arrived first, saw Krishna sleeping, parked himself in the empty chair, and waited for Krishna to wake up. Arjuna entered shortly thereafter, and he too saw that Krishna was sleeping. He was annoyed that Duryodhana had come ahead of him but there was nothing he could do about it. He decided that he too would wait for Krishna to wake up, and he stood standing near Krishna's feet, his hands joined in reverence.

Arjuna chooses Krishna over Krishna's army, much to Duryodhana's delight

Feeling that it was time to get on with the play, Krishna now pretended to wake up and since Arjuna was near His feet, chose to see him first and asked, "Hello Arjuna, nice to see you. When did you come?" Annoyed that Arjuna received the first attention, Duryodhana said, "Krishna, I too am here; in fact, I came first."

With a smile on His face, Krishna said, "That may be true, but since I saw Arjuna first I am obliged to attend to him first. By the way, I know why both of you have come here. You are both preparing for war. As for Me, I am a man of peace. If you want Me, let Me make it clear that I would not lift any weapon nor fight. But if you wish, you can have My army and I don't mind if they fight. Now Arjuna, what will be your choice?"

Without a moment's hesitation, Arjuna said, "Krishna, I want You, You and You alone; it does not matter if You will not take up arms." This was sweet music to the ears of Duryodhana who wanted Krishna's army rather than Krishna himself. In this manner, Krishna pleased both his visitors and each got what he deserved! And that, incidentally, was how Krishna ended up as Arjuna's charioteer in the great Kurukshetra war.

This scene too is full of inner significance for it portrays the two choices man has to seek either worldly gifts from the Lord Almighty or to seek His Divine Grace i.e., Preyas or Sreyas. Almost invariably, the preference of man is for Preyas, rather than Sreyas even though it is well established that Preyas leads only to misery. Right from the time of Duryodhana, that lesson has still to be learnt!

Lord Krishna’s Peace Offer goes Unheeded

Krishna pleads with Dhritarashtra one last time to restore to the Pandavas their rightful kingdom

As the war clouds got stronger, Dhritarashtra began to get scared. He therefore sent his close associate Sanjaya as his envoy to plead with the Pandavas to let bygones be bygones, live in peace bearing no animosity to the Kauravas and, incidentally also forget their claims to Indraparastha!

Naturally, there were no takers in the Pandava camp for such an atrocious offer. As a counter measure, the Pandavas sent Krishna as their emissary to the court of Dhritarashtra. Presenting Himself before the blind king, Krishna said,

"O King, the Pandavas are peace-loving people. They have fully completed their obligations following their defeat in the game of dice thirteen years ago. All they now ask for is their old kingdom. Please be wise enough to return their territory." Dhritarashtra was inclined to agree to Krishna's request but the ever-angry Duryodhana intervened and shouted, "No Indraprashtha, no town, no village; not even five pinheads of land shall we give the Pandavas." Krishna returned empty handed (as He knew He would!); and the die was firmly cast - it now would be war.

Events moved swiftly, both sides now striving their best to line up as many supporters as possible. In accordance with the injunctions of war, the rules of combat, the place of fighting, the hours of fighting, etc., were all meticulously laid down and both sides swore total commitment to the observance of the rules. Thus it was that Kurukshetra was selected as the venue for the battle, and each day the fighting was to conclude at sunset.

Last Parlays Before the Battle Commences

On the opening day, just before the fighting actually commenced, Yudhishtra got down from his chariot and with folded hands walked towards the Kaurava ranks. Everyone was flabbergasted. Was Yudhishtra throwing in the towel and surrendering? No such thing! All that was happening was that Yudhishtra was going to pay his respects to elders like Bhishma, Kripa and Drona whom he shortly would have to face as adversaries. Was this all a big put on?

No, on the contrary Yudhishtra took his duties to elders quite seriously. Thus when he approached Bhishma he reverentially bowed to him and said, "Grandsire, I offer my humble salutations to you and seek your pardon for daring to fight against you. As you well know, all this is ordained by fate and neither of us have any control over it. I seek your blessings and also the permission to begin the fight. And, please also advise us how we may conquer you!" That then is the sample of the etiquette of those times.

A few remarks about how Bhishma and a few others found themselves fighting on the side of the Kauravas. Bhishma, for example, never approved of the actions of either Dhritarashtra or Duryodhana, but having all along enjoyed in some sense their patronage, was committed to fight on the side of the Kauravas. Karna was another example. He had many wonderful qualities, apart from his martial skills. As a generous donor who gave freely to charities, Karna was unequalled, and many are the stories of extreme sacrifices made by him. In his heart of hearts, he knew that Duryodhana was pure evil and that all his actions were wrong. Yet, that same Duryodhana had, when others sneered at him as the lowly son of a lowly charioteer, conferred status by making him without as much as a second thought, the King of Anga. So loyalty compelled him to serve the cause of Duryodhana.

Kunti makes a journey to reveal to Karna her secret in a last chance attempt to have him side with the Pandavas

On the eve of the battle, Kunti made a secret visit to Karna and revealed to him that he was, in fact, her son and not that of Radheya. She pleaded with him to join the Pandava camp and promised that when victory was won, he and not Yudhishtra would be crowned the monarch.

Karna was overjoyed to hear that he too was of royal lineage but declined his mother's offer. He said, "For me, loyalty overrides all other considerations. I am in no position to pass judgements over Duryodhana. He gave me shelter and support when none did and my duty is by his side, irrespective of his intrinsic qualities."

Kunti then said, "In that case, please spare the lives of the Pandavas; others you may kill as per the rules of warfare." To that Karna replied,

"Mother, I promise that I will cause no harm to four of the Pandavas but Arjuna is not in that list. Right from the beginning he has established himself as my sworn enemy and him I cannot spare even if he be my own brother. So it has to be either him or me. But mother, look at it this way; whether I die or Arjuna does, you will still have five sons.No Karna," Kunti replied, "your calculation is wrong for either way I lose."

Karna is a character who is not mentioned much and if he is, he is generally maligned. However, Swami rates him very highly and has spoken about him on many occasions. All that is reserved for the next episode!

Till then, all the best and may God be with you.

Lokaa Samasthaa Sukhino Bhavantu.

Jai Sai Ram.

(To be Continued...)-----------------

Satyopanishad - part 8: Direct Directions from the Divine

Dear reader, in response to positive feedback to this section where we have a dialogue with the Divine, we continue with Prof. Anil Kumar’s “Satyopanishad” after completing the serial Dr. John Hislop’s “Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba” in January 2008.

This also is in the “question-answer” format that many devotees prefer, and has answers from Bhagavan on topics as wide-ranging as the origin of evil, the goals of human life, aspects of God – embodied and formless, to price hikes, women’s liberation, vegetarianism and the generation gap of the present times.

Published in two parts by the author, these volumes have 270 questions in all, which are neatly grouped under separate chapters. In this issue, we begin the third chapter: Youth.

CHAPTER 3 - YOUTH (Continued from the previous issue)

Anil Kumar: Swami! We go to colleges and universities for studies and acquire knowledge. We take up some employment thereafter. We draw our salaries, but, the pity is whomsoever we meet they say, "I don't have peace of mind”. Why is this so? What is to be done?

Bhagavan: Mere education will not give you peace of mind. Sage Vyasa compiled all the Vedas, wrote the great epic Mahabharata, the eighteen Puranas and the Brahmasutras. Yet, his mind was restless; he was without peace. At this stage of Vyasa's anguish, sage Narada advised him to write the Bhagavata, a work, which incorporated the leelas (Divine Sport) of the Lord and life sketches of some of the most outstanding devotees of the Lord who sang the full glory of His miracles.

It was only then that he enjoyed peace and bliss. Neither position, nor status, nor scholarship, nor influence, nor wealth, nor fame - no, none of these achievements can ever give you peace of mind. It can't be received from anyone nor can it be located at a place. No external objects, articles, or possessions can give you peace of mind.

The root cause of loss of peace is the bundle of desires. So, I often tell you "less luggage, more comfort, makes travel a pleasure" - the maxim of the Indian Railways. Therefore, a ceiling on desires is most important.

Don't feel sad that you don't have koti (one crore of rupees), but be happy that you have enough for roti (food).

Don't feel unhappy over not having a car, but be happy that you have a kalu (legs).

Don't cry over a scorpion bite, but be happy that you are not bitten by an enormous snake.

Don't grieve that a snake has bitten you, but be grateful to God that you didn't die because of that.

It is in contentment that peace and happiness are present. Who is the richest man? The man with contentment is the richest man. Who is the poorest man? He who has many desires is the poorest man.

Many come to me and say, "I want peace". I tell everyone, "The answer is in your request itself. When you say, “I want peace”, there are two components “I” and “want”. “I” is mamakara or the ego or attachment, and “want” is kama or desire. When you give up these two - ego and desire, peace is already there.

Anil Kumar: Swami! Many of us are helpless when we interact with youngsters. They often say, "Don't interfere with us; it is our freedom. We are independent and act in the way we choose." We find it difficult to convince them about what we think is right, and to guide them in the right direction. What should we do in the present circumstances?

Bhagavan: From your statement, it is very clear that modern youth do not know what freedom is. They use terms like sveccha, freedom and svatantra, independence, indiscriminately without knowing their correct meaning.

What is freedom? What is independence? If freedom means behaving as we like, without any norms, in what way then are we different from birds and beasts which act as they like? They move about freely without any restrictions.

They also procreate producing dozens and dozens of young ones. If that is what the youngsters mean and want by 'freedom', insects, birds, and animals, without attending any universities and getting degrees are able to manage to secure food and shelter and live freely as ordained by nature. Then, in what way does your freedom benefit you? What is your specialty? What is your education for? Animals are better than you, as they have some reason and season. You have neither reason nor season.

What is sveccha, freedom? If the Sanskrit word sveccha is analysed properly, it is sva + iccha. Sva means 'yourself', i.e. soul, spirit, Atma, iccha means 'will'. Thus, sva, (Atma) plus iccha, (will), means ‘the will power of Atma (Self)'. So this relates to our Atma. Is it that sveccha that our youngsters want today? The pity is they do not know the meaning of the word they use.

Then, modern man says, "I have svatantra, independence, to do anything I like. Can't I be independent?" Here, also youngsters do not know the meaning of svatantra. Does svatantra mean reckless, careless, and irresponsible behaviour? No. If you think that moving and roaming around, eating and drinking anything to your liking, are the signs of independence, don't you see that cats and rats also enjoy themselves in the same manner? Does independence mean food and drink? You are spending your entire lifetime anyway on these two: food and drink. Life has come down to the level of just loading and unloading.

Then, what is svatantra, independence? You have to remember in this context one important point. True, you have independence. But, there is a limit. Your independence should not come in the way of the independence of others. So you have independence up to the point that it does not affect the independence of others. A small example: One gentleman on a fine morning started his stroll, waving his walking stick and swinging it freely. After some time a man passing that way pointed out, "Do not swing your walking stick like that!" Then, this man said, "Why not? I have independence and can move my walking stick in any way I like." But, the other said, "Sir, it is true. But your independence to swing your walking stick ends where my nose begins to appear because while swinging your walking stick, I am afraid, you might hit my nose." This is the limitation of your independence.

We also hear people say, "We are celebrating svarajya, Independence Day." Is it true? No. Here, sva means 'self'. Have you mastered yourself? Do you have control over your senses? Usually svatantra means becoming independent of foreign rule. You break the chains of slavery under the yoke of the rulers and declare independence. This is political independence. This is not enough.

Spiritually also you should be independent by controlling your senses, conquering your weaknesses and checking your evil tendencies. This is independence in the kingdom of Atma. You become truly independent only after you have conquered desire, lust, greed, anger, hatred, avarice, sense of vengeance, etc. You have to understand the meaning of svatantra in this sense.

Anil Kumar: Swami! What is the ideal ambience of a classroom?

Bhagavan: You should follow your ancient traditional culture. A student with vinaya, humility, and vidheyata, obedience will be able to acquire thorough knowledge. Students should evince keen interest in the subject they study, and even ask questions. Whenever they have doubts, they should seek clarifications from their teachers.

Therefore, a student should be seated at a lower level than a teacher who occupies his seat at a higher level on a chair. Water always flows downwards, so does knowledge. Fire travels upwards. Similarly, the fire of wisdom of a student travels upwards.

Anil Kumar: Swami! Today we find imitation in all spheres of life. In particular, this imitation is very common among youngsters. What does Swami say about it?

Bhagavan: Imitation is weakness. This is a defect in the modern youth. Imitation is human, creation is divine. Imitation makes you forget your natural behaviour too.

A crow happened to see a swan and was very much attracted by its graceful and dignified gait. The crow started imitating. It started walking slowly for a while, then started jumping and finally was about to fly with the result that it had lost its own way of walking. It looked so awkward and artificial. Therefore, one has to be natural. Imitation is not only unnatural, but also ridiculous.

Anil Kumar: Swami! Today many people, particularly youngsters, are wasting their time. Many are lazy, and idle away their precious time. So, in spite of rich resources, the country is not progressing. Kindly suggest a cure for this malady.

Bhagavan: There is no dearth of anything in this country. We have sufficient resources. People are also highly resourceful and talented: There is nothing in the world outside which is not here in Bharat (India). As the Kannada saying goes, enna bharate tanna bharati.

History tells you that in the past this country was the target of invasions and attacks by many foreigners drawn by the riches and the resources here. But today, we find many lazy people wasting their precious time. Though they draw fat salaries, they don't work proportionately. Thus, the country is betrayed and cheated. You should follow Time.

Time will not follow you. God is time, samvatsaraya namah. Time is God. Kalaya namah, kalatitaya namah, kaladarpadamanaya namah are some of the epithets of God, depicting Him as the Master, the Designer and the Controller of Time. The Namavali emphasises this aspect of Divinity. So, if you waste your time, it is a sin. You should spend time in the most sacred way.

I tell the students often:

‘See no evil, see what is good. Speak no evil, speak what is good. Hear no evil, hear what is good. Do no evil, do what is good.’

Therefore, it can be concluded that 'casting evil looks, hearing evil words, talking evil, thinking evil and acting evil', amounts to a waste of time.

You should work hard. "Thou shalt live by the sweat of thy brow," says the Holy Bible. But, today it is not like that; people would rather like to have their earnings without putting in any effort. Any work you do, do it with Namasmarana, repeating God's name. This is bhakti marga, the path of devotion. Such work turns itself into an offering to God. This is anubhava jnana or Wisdom borne out of experience or Practical Knowledge.

Idle and lazy people can't achieve anything in life. Truly, if you work with both hands, couldn't you feed one stomach? You know how a photographer clicks a camera. He adjusts his lens calculating the distance and asks you to be ready before he clicks. Doesn't he? But, Kaludu, the God of Death, does not give you any time nor does he ask you to be ready as he clicks the camera of life. He takes away your life all of a sudden, unnoticed. So, you should be ever ready to face death. Hence, it is absolutely necessary to make the best use of time in the most sacred way. Observe God's creation: the Sun, the Moon, the Stars and the Planets. All of them move in their orbits so that you have day and night in your life, constituting time. Trees and rivers follow time and are an ideal to humanity. So, it is said that nature is the best teacher.

Swami has no holiday. You have at least a Sunday as a holiday during the week. I receive thousands of letters everyday. I read them all. I attend to all my work. I walk miles everyday moving amidst you. I supervise, monitor, guide and direct all matters relating to the University, the Super Specialty Hospital and the Water Project personally, besides thousands of Sai Centres spread all over the world. I don't take rest; I don't have any interval or a holiday. Your happiness is My happiness. God incarnates to show you the ideal way of life. So, don't waste time. By Karma, proper action, uphold Dharma, righteousness, and merge in Brahman (Divinity), and thus redeem your lives.

(To be continued)

Sai Spiritual Showers-issue 57

Although science and technology have made rapid strides, man has not acquired the divine qualities. Technology is the child of science. But very much anterior to science is the Veda. cience seeks to know all about creation, but the Veda reveals the knowledge about the Creator. All the natural sciences are concerned with knowledge about created things. But there is a Creator who is the source of all of them. In the quest for understanding the objects in creation, man is forgetting the Creator. By forgetting the Creator, man is failing to develop the quality of love. Why? Because God is Love and Love is God. When we forget Love, we forget God. When God is forgotten how can Love grow? Science has been enormously helpful and has achieved many wonders. But, simultaneously, it has done incalculable harm. Science as such is not to be blamed for this. It is the wrongful use of science that is respons ible. Science discovered

for man the secrets of nature and the cosmos. But what is the benefit we delve from knowing these secrets? Knowledge is one thing; its proper utilisation is a different thing. Of what avail is it to know the power of the atom if we have not learnt how to put it to good and beneficial use? The knowledge delved from science should be used for sacred and righteous purposes.

Science is below the mind; spirituality is beyond the mind…said Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. Never ending and ever ambitious explorations in the field of science leads man to a never ending expanse of outer knowledge whereas spirituality prompts man to delve deep into his inner self that yields him the ultimate gift, Wisdom! India’s illustrious scientist, Dr. S. Bhagavantam, formerly scientific adviser in the Ministry of Defence and Director General of Defence Research Development Organisation, who had a long association with Bhagawan, narrates his initial dilemma that often baffled the scientist in him. He later convinced

himself to look beyond science in order to understand Bhagawan's reality. Read on... (source: Sanathana Sarathi June, 1967)

It is a rare privilege for anyone to be invited, in whatever capacity it may be, to sit on the same platform as Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. It is a rarer privilege to be asked to preside over the Prasanthi Vidwanmahasabha.

You have been told during the past two days that the tribe of scientists is a peculiar one, that they have their vision extended outwards only, that they forget the essence of life which is embedded in the spiritual make up of the man, that they generally add to the misery of mankind rather than help to alleviate it and so on.

Moreover, it has been made out that in general, the scientists are either atheists or near-atheists and that they do not find a place in such gatherings. One need not learn science to turn away from God. Others too, both learned and unlearned, have turned away from God. Of course, the scientist asks inconvenient questions and so is charged with conceit. An incident in regard to Oppenheimer, who had succeeded in exploding the first atom bomb in 1945, would be appropriate here. It was a terrible and awe-inspiring event. The pressmen asked Oppenheimer what his reactions were and he replied that he was reminded of the sloka in the Bhagavad-Gita by which Arjuna described the Viswarupa of the Lord as:

Divi Surya Sahasrasya Bhaved yugapad uththithaa Yadi bhaah sadrsee saa syaad Bhaasasthasya mahaathmanaa

"That is the only way I can describe the magnificent brightness I have seen now", he said. The truly learned are aware of the wisdom of our ancient texts and of the teachings of the Upanishads.

We were once sitting on the sands of the Chitravati River and it was a full moon day. Bhagawan asked me, "Would you like to have a copy of the Bhagavad Gita?" and took some sand into His hand. The sand instantly turned into a text of the Gita and He put it into my hands! I was curious to know in which press it was printed and later, I turned over the leaves to discover it; but, needless to say, the name of the press was not to be found. I was a fairly lost person at that time, for, all this was in utter denunciation of the laws of physics for which I stood and I still stand. Subsequently too, He has been breaking one law of physics after another, laws which I learnt as being inviolable. Having learnt the laws of physics in my youth and having taught others for many years thereafter about the inviolability of such laws—at least so far as any known human situation is concerned—and having put them into practice with such a belief in them, I naturally found myself in a dilemma which needed to be resolved. On one other such occasion, He performed a surgical operation with instruments created by Him; I was an eyewitness and my young son was standing by my side. What has science to do with this or to say about this? Prof. Gokak said yesterday that Bhagawan defies the laws of physics and chemistry. I would prefer to say that He transcends the laws of physics and chemistry. He is a

Phenomenon; He is Transcendental; He is Divine; He is an Incarnation. I accepted that as His role, for this is the right way and the only way to get out of the dilemma I referred to a little while ago and in which I was placed. Today, I do not ask silly questions, nor do I seek to discover what laws He is breaking or how. I speak only of what happens and can happen under known laws.

Scientists have done many such wonderful things and added to their knowledge but they are aware that knowledge is not the same as wisdom. While adding to knowledge, we add more to our ignorance too. What we know is becoming a smaller and smaller fraction of what we do not know. Wisdom has to be got from Bhagawan and the likes of Him who come amidst us from time to time for this express purpose.

We can borrow many things from the west; technology, materials, equipment, instruments, books and even food, but, we cannot borrow character, culture or tradition. The latter are to be derived from our own heritage, our own selves and our own disciplined effort. Becoming good and godly is a very difficult process; it needs hard discipline. It will take a very long time. I am speaking not pessimistically, but, realistically. Bhagawan is our nearest kith and kin; turn to Him for the Eternal Message. That alone can change us. (speech given in Chennai, at the Prasanthi Vidwaan Mahasabha on April 24, 1967, in The Divine Presence) ------------------------

Moments Memories and Miracles

Print this Page

RENDEZVOUS WITH DR.SAFAYA(part 1 of 2)

Radio Sai interview with Dr. Safaya, Director, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical sciences, Prasanthi gram campus and the Whitefield campus.

Interviewer: Prof. G. Venkataraman, (GV) Former Vice Chancellor, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher learning.

GV: Sai Ram Dr. Safaya, and welcome to the Studios of Radio Sai. We all know you very well, including the listeners; so may be, there is no real introduction necessary. But there is one thing most people do not know - I, for example, do not know – and that is: What brought you to Swami? Different people have different experiences that bring them to Swami. What brought you to Swami?

Dr. Safaya: What brought me to Swami was my spiritual quest. I have always wanted to get the answer to two questions. 1) Is there God and Divinity? 2) If there is, then how to find it?

GV: These questions were with you always?

Dr. Safaya: Since my childhood, I should say.

GV: What were you doing to find the answers?

Dr. Safaya: I tried to meet a large number of people, religious people and saints, not only Hindus but belonging to all religions, and the only thing that clicked with me was Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba.

GV: How did you come to hear about Him?

Dr. Safaya: I read a book entitled, The Man of Miracles.

GV: Murphet’s Book?

Dr. Safaya: Yes, Murphet’s book. This book was in Hindi and I do not know much of Hindi, myself. So I had to read it practically like a school boy.

GV: You were not aware that the book was originally published in English?

Dr. Safaya: Not at that time. It was given to me by a friend. He said, “You give it to your wife. She will read it out for you and you can finish in a week or two and then return it”. It was in the morning breakfast time, when I started reading it. I then forgot myself completely. Where I was? And what I was reading? I forgot every thing completely. I had to go to the hospital - I was teaching those days. But I forgot!

GV: It was that gripping?

Dr. Safaya: It was gripping and most interesting. Not only that; I fell in love with Swami as I went on reading the book.

GV: Your time had come!

Dr. Safaya: Yes, my time had come. Just like a key and the lock - it just opened like that. By the time I finished the book, I knew finally that I had found the PERSON for whom I was waiting.

GV: You wanted to see Him?

Dr. Safaya: Yes, I wanted to see Him.

GV: So you came here.

Dr. Safaya: First I started attending Bhajans locally and later I started coming here. Here, in 1984, I said to Bhagavan: “Why don’t I work in the General Hospital here for a few days? I have enough time in between Darshans”. He said, “No no, not now. That time will come and I will then tell you what to do”.

GV: 1984? Seven years before the Puttaparthi Super Speciality Hospital was started?

Dr. Safaya: That’s right. And He told me that He would call a meeting of all the doctors of the world and decide there what is to be done. Wait for that time, He added.

GV: Fantastic! What did you think of it when was this told to you?

Dr. Safaya: It was my first Interview and I was a little confused, I must say.

GV: No wonder!

Dr. Safaya: Quite overfilled, I was brimming with joy and Love and all sorts of feelings that I did not understand. Later on I was concentrating on this sentence. What was to be my role, and what does He have in store for me? When will this meeting of doctors take place? I didn’t have any idea that a big hospital was going to be established.

GV: Who had? No body!

Dr. Safaya: One day while I was in my hospital in Delhi, I got a sudden telephone call. The message was: “You must come at once to Whitefield”.

GV: Which year was that?

Dr. Safaya: Early 1990. The Message said: “Bhagavan has formed an International Committee for establishing a Super Speciality Hospital at Prasanthi Nilayam and you are the Chairman of the Committee.” I was completely bowled over.

GV: You had forgotten, but HE remembered!

Dr. Safaya: Absolutely! I then took the next plane and landed in Whitefield, where Swami was at that time. Col. Joga Rao met me at Bangalore Airport and I was driven straight to Ashram and things got started. There I met a large number of doctors, Indian as well as overseas doctors. A good many of the names were quite familiar but there were also others whom I had not met before.

GV: So in 1991 you finally made a shift to this place. How was it to come from a big hospital in big city to what was then still a village, and to work in a very different kind of hospital?

Dr. Safaya: It was a great challenge in many ways. Number one, we had to establish a hospital at a rural location 160 Kms. from a metropolitan city where every thing was easily available while here nothing was available. We had to have to have a team of people drawing up the lists of various requirements, not missing anything, not even a needle. It therefore took us some time to get adjusted in establishing a hospital in rural service. Even now, the hospital’s next door neighbour is a thatched hut. I remember, we who were engaged in planning and advising the engineers, we would take tea along with the labourers in an L & T [Larson and Toubro] canteen. Gradually things started taking shape and my people, my workers and colleagues also started used to these rural facilities in the surroundings. But one thing was there - there was tremendous amount of dedication in every body. Not only in the

people associated with the hospital, who knew all about what the hospital was meant for and what it was supposed to do. Even the L & T construction labourer who was carrying a crowbar, cement, bricks and all that, went to the same canteen. The culture of the hospital developed, I think, right from the day the foundation stone was laid.

GV: Needless to say you got the inspiration from Swami, otherwise it would have been very frustrating.

Dr. Safaya: Not only I, but everybody got their inspiration from the same Source.

GV: Did Swami pay visits in those days?Dr. Safaya: Yes He did, daily. Sometimes He would come twice during the day.

GV: He is so meticulous; I am sure He went all round.

Dr. Safaya: Yes He did, instructing, encouraging and inspiring. Next morning we would have to show some improvement or some achievement.

GV: Nevertheless, you came through it all and you have sailed through ten years. How does it appear now, when you look back?

Dr. Safaya: It seems like a miracle. The hospital was to be inaugurated on 22nd. Two days before that date, I gave up. I fell down on my bed at 12 O’ clock in the night, telling myself, “I cannot go any further, because the hospital will not be ready to be inaugurated on the due date. Surgical operations have to be done. The conditions are not sterile. Scientifically we are not ready.” I told my wife that I had failed my Master and started weeping, which I never did, at least in presence of my wife. She got alarmed and encouraged me saying, “Swami is a GOD. He will do something, don’t worry.

Bhagavan’s SANKALPA has to be realised and it will be for sure.” Lo and behold, so it was; everything got completed miraculously just before the inauguration. Thus on 22nd November, 1991, when the inauguration was scheduled, exactly at 9 o’ clock, precisely as HE had predicted, the surgeon’s knife did touch the skin of the patient That is what exactly happened.

GV: In a small way, I went through a similar sort of experience. We had to start the Radio service on 23rd November this year(2001) and we got very little notice. I never thought it was going to happen, But in spite of my doubts it did happen because HE willed it. I couldn’t believe that it happened. It is just marvellous, being swept along by that magic.

Dr. Safaya: Swami’s physical presence makes its own impact.

GV: Yes that is true; it does make a big contribution.

Dr. Safaya: But over and above that is the Supernatural Aspect that is entirely Divine.

GV: Yes, somehow difficulties dissolve in the very last minute and suddenly things start to hang together.

Dr. Safaya: You know before I came here, the Government of India was not ready to relieve me. There are documents to prove it. My ultimate relief order by the President of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, the type of which has never been given to anybody, says ‘I reluctantly accept Dr. Safya’s request for premature retirement’. The word ‘reluctantly’ is very significant because the President of the Institute who is also the Union Health Minister tried his best to stop me from leaving. The Health Minister was simply not ready to relieve me. Ultimately I went to Bhagavan. Just before this trip, the Minister told me, “No further leave; you can’t go and you have to stay in Delhi”. Reporting all this I told Bhagavan, “Swami all has failed. Even the appeals of the President of India and the Prime Minister of India on my behalf have failed to produce any effect.

Everything has failed. My personal efforts have come to an end. Bhagavan, if you want me here, then YOU have to intervene at the Divine level”.

GV: Did He?

Dr. Safaya: Bhagavan said, “Don’t worry.” He smiled and added “You will be relieved on first of February”. On 31st January at 6 P.M., I was giving farewell to a person who was retiring that very day and he was my Deputy. He was going and I was staying. So it seemed at 6 P.M. But suddenly circumstances changed that night. The Health Minister suddenly called me and said, “Are you sure you want to go?” I replied, “Yes, my Guru’s Adesh. Whatever you say about my staying back is correct in its own way. But there is also the Guru - Shishya parampara, you know. He is my Guru and I have to get HIS adesh fulfilled. Therefore you have to let me go.” The Minister reluctantly picked up the pen put wrote the words, “I

reluctantly accept Dr. Safaya’s request”. This happened at 7 P. M. I the told the Health Minister, “Kindly ring up the Institute, tell them not to relieve the Deputy Director, and that you have given him one year extension. That is the only way, I can be relieved!”

GV: What a drama!

Dr. Safaya: At 8 P.M. Dr. Verma got the news that he had been given one year’s extension. He gladly accepted.

GV: I hope he didn’t have to give back his farewell party!

Dr. Safaya: Next morning, I went to the Institute and handed over charge.

GV: Absolutely unbelievable!

Dr. Safaya: The point I wanted to make in the whole story is the DIVINE SANKALPA. I surrendered totally at HIS feet. The big recommendations had failed. The big intervention at the worldly level had failed. Only He could do something. And HE did!

(To be continued………)

Volume - 2 Issue - 9

Radiosai Journal - PSN 2004

A few years ago, while addressing devotees in Brindavan, Bhagavan said, "I do not want your Bhakthi or Devotion. I want your transformation. "

That devotion which does not lead to transformation is no devotion at all. "Why should we spiritually transform ourselves?" Is it because Swami wants us to transform? Or is it because we must transform?"

I wonder if you have ever seen a caterpillar, walking on its little legs on a leaf. As a caterpillar evolves, it grows into a beautiful butterfly, which hops from flower to flower, colorful, giving joy to everyone around. Have we ever asked ourselves, "Why should a caterpillar give up its existence as a caterpillar and become a butterfly?" Because its destiny is to be a butterfly! It is manifesting its own inherent nature when it transforms into a butterfly!!!

I recall another incident, which happened when we were undergraduate students. Swami was explaining the difference between His expectations and the expectations of the parents. He said, "Your parents expect that you study well, get good marks after your education is over, get a good job, a good wife, have good children and accumulate a lot of property. That is the expectation of your parents. My expectation is very different."

He said, "Cultivate good thoughts; get a good name", that is my expectation from you!

One day, we were in Trayee Brindavan, Bhagavan's residence in Bangalore. A student was sitting somewhere in the front, knelt and got up to ask Swami something. Swami also went near him, "What is the matter?" And the boy said, "Swami, I have got so many bad thoughts."

Swami, said, "Bangaru, my dear one, this is the season! If in rainy season, you don't get rain, when are you going to get the rains? This is the season!!!"

And then He said, "Do you think that you are the one and sole individual who is afflicted with these thoughts" and he pointed to the entire student community and said, "All are in the same boat, it is only a question of degree. Only you are uttering it with your lips and others are keeping mum."

Swami has said on other occasions, "When you get that wrong thought, you know it is wrong! You know it is not good for you. What should you do? The bare minimum that we should do is to see that it doesn't translate into action."

There used to be a devotee in the ashram at Brindavan, in Bangalore, who had a mental problem. And Bhagavan blessed the students, with the privilege and the opportunity to take care of this devotee. It was, in fact, one of the most sought after service activities in the campus.

There were a few students who would do this service, in rotation and it so happened that during the summer, most of the students weren't there, when Swami too was not in Brindavan, very few teachers were around and there was this student who was looking after this devotee and his welfare. Even the washer man of the ashram had disappeared.

The student waited, 1 week, 2 weeks; 3 weeks passed. They were 20 pairs of clothes collected over 20 days to be washed. This boy waited, the washer man was not around. He gave up and himself washed all the 20 pairs of that devotee unknown to anybody in the Hostel or in the Ashram.

A few weeks later, Swami returned to Brindavan, and suddenly He asked the Warden, "Send the boys who take care of that devotee" and when the boys were with Swami, out of the blue, Swami pointed out to that boy and said, "I know that the washer man was away and you personally washed 20 pairs of clothes belonging to him" and then He blessed him and filled his hands with gifts!!!

Every good little act you do, in the silence of the night, even if nobody around knows it, God knows and is willing to bless you and recognize you for your effort.

http://media. radiosai. org/Journals/ Vol_05/01SEP07/ 04-sanjay. htm

Transcript of the talk by Sri Sanjay Sahani

------

'Before They Call, I Will Answer'

This story was written by a doctor who worked in South Africa: One night I had worked hard to help a mother in the labor ward; but in spite of all we could do, she died leaving us with a tiny premature baby and a crying two- year-old daughter. We would have difficulty keeping the baby alive, as we had no incubator (we had no electricity to run an incubator). We also had no special feeding facilities. Although we lived on the equator, nights were often chilly with treacherous drafts. One student midwife went for the box we had for such babies and the cotton wool that the baby could be wrapped in. Another went to stoke up the fire and fill a hot water bottle. She came back shortly in distress to tell me that in filling the bottle, it had burst (rubber perishes easily in tropical climates). "And it is our last hot water bottle!" she exclaimed. As in the West, it was no good crying over spilt milk, in Central Africa, you can say, it was no good crying over burst water bottles. They do not grow on trees, and there are no drugstores down forest pathways. "All right," I said, "put the baby as near the fire as you safely can, and sleep between the baby and the door to keep it free from drafts. Your job is to keep the baby warm." The following noon, as I did most days, I went for prayers with the orphanage children who used to gather with me.

I gave the youngsters various suggestions on things to pray for and told them about the tiny baby. I explained our problem about keeping the baby warm enough, mentioning the hot water bottle, and that the baby could so easily die if it got chills. I also told them to look after the baby’s two-year-old sister, who was crying because she no more had her mother.

During prayer, one ten-year old girl, Ruth, prayed with the usual blunt conciseness of our African children. "Please, God," she prayed, "Send us a water bottle. It'll be no good tomorrow, God, as the baby will be dead, so please send it this afternoon." While I gasped inwardly at the audacity of the prayer, she added, "And while You are about it, would You please send a dolly for the little girl so she'll know You really love her?" As often with children's prayers, I was put on the spot. Could I honestly say, "Amen"? I just did not believe that God could do this. Oh, yes, I know that He can do everything, the Bible says so. But there are limits, aren't there? The only way God could answer this particular prayer would be by sending me a parcel from homeland. I had been in Africa for almost four years at that time, and I had never, ever received a parcel from home. Anyway, if anyone did send me a parcel, who would put in a hot water bottle? I lived on the equator! Halfway through the afternoon, while I was teaching in the nurses' training school, a message was sent that there was a car at my front door. By the time I reached home, the car had gone, but there, on the veranda, was a large twenty-two pound parcel. I felt tears covering my eyes. I could not open the parcel alone, so I sent for the orphanage children. Together we pulled off the string, carefully undoing each knot. We folded the paper, taking care not to tear it unduly. Excitement was mounting. At least thirty or forty eyes were focused on the large cardboard box. From the top, I lifted out brightly colored, knitted jerseys. Eyes sparkled. As I gave them out then there were the knitted bandages for the leprosy patients, and the children looked a little bored. Then, came a box of mixed raisins and sultanas - that would make a batch of buns for the weekend. Then, as I put my hand in again, I felt the... Could it really be? I grasped it and pulled it out - yes, a brand-new, rubber hot water bottle! I cried. I had not asked God to send it; I had not truly believed that He could. Ruth was in the front row of the children. She rushed forward, crying out, "If God has sent the bottle, He must have sent the dolly too!" Rummaging down to the bottom of the box, she pulled out the small, beautifully dressed dolly. Her eyes shone! She had never doubted! Looking up at me, she asked: "Can I go over with you and give this dolly to that little girl, so she will know that Jesus really loves her?" That parcel had been on the way for five whole months. Packed up by my former Sunday school class, whose leader had heard and obeyed God's prompting to send a hot water bottle, even to the equator. And one of the girls had put in a dolly for an African child, five months before in answer to the believing prayer of a ten-year-old to bring it "that afternoon"! God’s ways are mysterious but more importantly, what prayer can do is unimaginable. Therefore, it is said, “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of." Let us pray as if everything depended on God, but work as if everything depended on us. For, with prayer in our hearts, we are the richest and most blessed. - Adapted from SSS Bal Vikas, April 2008. Illustrations: Ms. Lyn Kriegler Elliott - Heart2Heart Team

---------------------

HOW SAI CAPTURED THE PHOTOGRAPHER

The story of Mr. Kumaran Ganesan as told to Mr. Krish Venkatasubramaniam

Kumaran Ganesan is a leading advertisement photographer based in Bangalore. While his professional life has taken him abroad to many countries, the best of his experiences came from his interactions with the Lord within. Currently living in Bangalore, with his wife and two sons, Kumaran’s life is a testimonial of how Swami’s love transforms lives.

Seeing without Looking

It was in 1989 that Kumaran saw Swami for the first time. That was the beginning of his photography career when he had been to Abbotsbury, Chennai, to take photographs of Swami, during His Chennai visit. Though Kumaran had the opportunity to take photographs of Swami from very close quarters for two days, he confesses that at that time he did not feel any attachment to Swami. “I just took the photographs as part of my job and left the place,” says Kumaran.

The optical sense cannot visualize the truth. It gives only false and fogged information. ~ Baba

But when God proposes, opportunities are galore. Such was the case with Kumaran, who was blessed with yet another chance to photograph our dear Lord Sai. “The same year, I got another opportunity. I was working for Sudhir Ramachandran, a very renowned photographer and also a devotee of Swami. Sudhir was also my mentor.” Kumaran recollects with obvious pride.

Kumaran accompanied Sudhir and his family to Kodai Kanal, where Swami was residing at that time. On reaching Kodai, Sudhir offered to take him for darshan, but Kumaran thought it is better to stay back in the room, choosing to take care of Sudhir’s children instead. On the last day of their stay in Kodai, for reasons he finds difficult to explain, Kumaran felt an urge to have darshan. Unable to contain this desire, he expressed it to Sudhir. But since it was very crowded and also quiet late, Sudhir suggested Kumaran to go to a particular spot near the lake, from where he could see Swami, as His car would normally pass by that way. Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. ~ Ansel Adams The Divine Shot – At the Right Time

Kumaran promptly went and waited at the spot. When Swami’s car passed by him very slowly, he bowed down reverently and offered his salutations, hands folded. “Swami looked at me eye to eye and showed His abhayahastha (hands raised in blessing) and I instantly fell in Love with Him,” says Kumaran.

He came, He saw, He was conquered. And when the heart is conquered, it is conquered for ever! From that instant, Swami became the guiding force in anything and everything that he engaged in. A few years later, when he got married, he spoke about Swami to his wife. She came to Puttaparthi with him and she too instantly came into Swami’s loving fold. This was so natural and instantaneous for both of them that they can only understand this as due to the infinite love of Swami which has permeated their lives since then. The Lesson of Patience

“Swami taught and blessed me with this quality of patience, when I most needed it. Patience is one virtue that is required for professionals, be it entrepreneurs or corporate executives.... I was patient and did not lose heart, which paved the way for my current successful and rewarding career in photography, which is my passion.”

In the earlier years, the professional opportunities that Kumaran got were few and far between. But with his new-found pillar of support in Bhagavan, nothing seemed too difficult to handle. Once, when he prayed to Swami for guidance, concerned by the thin volumes of his business, Bhagavan came in his dream and said, “Have patience. You will get your chances.” “Swami taught and blessed me with this quality of patience, when I most needed it. Patience is one virtue that is required for professionals, be it entrepreneurs or corporate executives,” says Kumaran. “I was patient and did not lose heart, which paved the way for my current successful and rewarding career in photography, which is my passion.”

“Every single time I take a photograph, I say ‘Om Sri Sai Ram’, says Kumaran. “And sometimes when things falter during the shoot, I just take a short break and go to my room, touch Swami’s photo and pray. When I come back, things automatically fall in place.”

The Lord of the Land

Years ago, his studio was situated in Millers Road, Bangalore. There were thefts in all apartments in that building, except his! For security reasons, he wanted to shift the studio, but hesitated since he thought he might lose the good luck that the location had brought him. A rather illusive thought, for God is everywhere and place is hardly any constraint for Him when He chooses to bestow His blessings on his devotees. But, His ways are mysterious. So, at the time when Kumaran was contemplating moving out of his office to a new place, there was a new office in Bangalore’s Infantry Road that was readily available. The owner of this place gave Kumaran one month to decide and finalise the place. But, Kumaran was confused and could not take a decision. Both, he and his wife, prayed to Swami for guidance. Bhagavan came in his wife’s dream and said, “Shift to the new premise. You will get all good results.”

Kumaran was very happy and relieved to hear that. But soon maya came in. After a while, fear and confusion prevailed over him again. His wife suggested, “Why don’t you pray to Him again. He will clear your doubts.” He prayed and again that night, Swami came in the dream – this time around, in Kumaran’s dream and said, “I am with you. Why do you worry? You are going to work with clients like IBM. Shift your studio to the new place.” On receiving this assurance from the Lord, he went to the landlord to give the advance and finalise the Infantry Road Office. Given the mysterious way the whole event had unfolded, Kumaran could not help but look around the owner’s house for Swami’s photos. There were none. But later, when the owner Mr. V. Krishnamurthy said, “Pay the advance to my son, Sai” Kumaran was thrilled. And once he interacted with his son, he came to know that the landlord and his family were long time devotees of Swami.

There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is! ~ DeGriff

“But Swami, through my inner voice used to correct me, by asking me not to indulge in comparisons. And once He clarified in a dream “the person you are comparing with, is better than you work wise. And moreover, he has the need to work harder since he has the need for that extra money.”

“Then Mr. Krishnamurthy took me inside and also shared another very interesting story. In the 1960’s, there was a bungalow on this same piece of land, where Swami had stayed during his visits to Bangalore.”

Needless to say, Kumaran relocated his studio to the new place to re-launch his career and from then onwards professional life has only been on the rise. “I got lot of new clients, of course, including IBM!” Kumaran exults. “Revenues also increased multifold.” Do Not Compare, If You Want Peace

“Sometimes, I used to compare myself with fellow professionals, to find that some of them were doing better than me,” says Kumaran. “I used to particularly compare myself to one photographer whom I knew, who got more business and revenue than me.” “But Swami, through my inner voice used to correct me, by asking me not to indulge in such comparisons. And once He clarified in a dream 'The person you are comparing with, is better than you work wise. And moreover, he has the need to work harder since he has the need for that extra money.'"

Ask One – Get Two!

Four years into the marriage, the Kumarans did not have an issue. Hence, they kept praying to Swami: “Please bless us with a child, Swami” had been their prayer for long, but not too long. One night, the Lord came in Kumaran’s dream and said, “Your time has not yet come. I will give - not one, but two children.”

They have two beautiful sons and every time they see the cheerful duo, they see Swami’s infinite Love. Undiluted Peace

“Coming to Swami’s loving fold has blessed me with, amongst other things, the most valuable thing – undiluted peace.” Kumaran says gratefully.

“At times, when an existing client of mine substitutes another photographer for certain reasons and conveys the same to me, I just think of Swami and I am calm,” says Kumaran. “Before Swami entered into my life, these kinds of adverse events would instantly unnerve me. But now, I find myself very composed and peaceful. “

“When my son, Karan, fell ill a couple of times, my wife was very perturbed, but I reminded her that he was Swami’s gift to us, and hence the Lord would surely take care of His child. Thus, in all matters, and at all times, while awake and in dreams, I feel a deep sense of peace, which is purely because of His infinite Love and blessings.

“When my son, Karan, fell ill a couple of times, my wife was very perturbed, but I reminded her that he was Swami’s gift to us, and hence the Lord would surely take care of His child. Thus, in all matters, and at all times, while awake and in dreams, I feel a deep sense of peace, which is purely because of His infinite Love and blessings.

“Even when the family shares a happy moment I just say ‘Om Sri Sai Ram’. I know it is all because of His Grace. Hence, it is a kind of thankful remembrance of Him during such moments.

“Today, in all matters relating to my professional and person life, Swami’s teachings guide me and my family. For anything and everything, we seek Swami’s guidance and blessings and only then proceed.”

Kumaran has come a long way from 1989 when he was just an uninterested photographer of Swami to one who has now captured the Lord in his heart forever.

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. ~ Ansel Adams

.................................................................................................................................

The Love of My Life

Ms. Malini Gadepally

Ms. Malini Gadepally was born in Kolkata, India, and raised in Los Angeles, California in the US. She joined Swami's school in Prasanthi Nilayam in 9th grade, and went on to get a Bachelor’s degree in English literature from the Anantapur campus of the Sri Sathya Sai University, graduating in 1991. After marriage, Malini went on to get another degree in Liberal studies and a teaching credential. She currently works as a Grade 3 teacher in the California Public School system.

She is an active member of the Sri Sathya Sai Center of Central San Jose, California, and has taught SSE for 15 years now. She is also an inspiring speaker, and has spoken in Sai meetings in different parts of the US, Canada, Europe and India.

Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba is the Love, Guiding Light and Inspiration of my life. He has been the greatest influence on my family and myself, and has shown His incredible love in ways too numerous to even describe. This article is a humble attempt to portray small examples of Swami’s Divine love and His ever inspiring omnipresence in my life. The privilege of being His student was bestowed upon me in 1984 when I joined the Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School, Prasanthi Nilayam. Until then, I had been a Bal Vikas student in Los Angeles, California where I grew up. Having known Swami as a child, I was very excited to be in such close proximity to the Lord Himself. The experiences of Swami’s visits and interactions are undoubtedly the highlights of my seven year stay in Swami’s school and college, and are indelible in my memory. No Detail Too Small for Divine Attention

While I was studying in His Higher Secondary School, Swami walked into our classroom one day and pointing to a stack of books on the bench asked one of my classmates, “Are all these textbooks!” She said, “No Swami, textbooks and notebooks.” Then Swami shook His head and replied, “Too many books, too many thoughts.” We were very happy because we had 10 subjects to study, and thought that the Divine words would somehow prompt our teachers to decrease our academic load – wishful thinking of course on the part of young teenagers! Instead, a few weeks later, brand new desks were delivered so that we would have a place to store all our books! The Lord showed His thoughtfulness and compassion in even such mundane details. Life Lesson in Every Act of Lord Sai

Another time, Swami came to visit our school soon after breakfast, and when we were all assembled in the foyer, He asked Kitchen Aunty to show Him what we had eaten for breakfast. She brought a plate with all the varieties: idlis, sambar, porridge, sprouted gram, and chutney. Swami pointed to the sprouted gram and asked her, “What is that?” She replied, “Swami, it is sprouted gram”. He then took a few and put it into His mouth and made a face while chewing it! We were so happy to see that Swami Himself had taken a dislike to it because none of us really relished the gram.

From that we learnt that even if things seem unpalatable, we have to take things with a smile because in the long run, they are going to be good for us. Life’s blessings don’t necessarily have to be sugar coated for easy swallowing. Sometimes they may taste bitter and unappetizing, yet they are good for our spiritual health.

He, then, turned to Kitchen Aunty and asked her, “How much of this do you give them?” She said, “One teaspoon, Swami.” Swami then replied, “From now on, give them two teaspoons full!” He then smiled at all of us very sweetly! From that we learnt that even if things seem unpalatable, we have to take things with a smile because in the long run, they are going to be good for us. Life’s blessings don’t necessarily have to be sugar coated for easy swallowing. Sometimes they may taste bitter and unappetizing, yet they are good for our spiritual health. Sai - The Caring Parent

During my 10th grade, there was a chicken pox epidemic in our school. While sneaking a peek at my brother who had it, I contracted the disease a few weeks before the 10th grade Board Exams. The discomfort and pain from having the pox all over the body (including inside the throat), was mitigated by all the remedies that Swami Himself gave for us. He asked the teachers to make pills out of neem leaves, told them to use sambrani or a special type of incense to purify the air, asked them to feed us soft foods and curd rice so that our throats would not ache so much, and would enquire daily about the welfare of the 100 of us who had got it at the time! When mumps broke out soon after, He even arranged for rooms in Prasanthi Nilayam, a short distance away from the school premises, so that the disease wouldn’t spread like the chicken pox had. Loving His Uncertainty

Our class was preparing for the 10th Board exams, and we had been praying to Swami to bless us before this momentous event. He told us that His blessings were always with us, but didn’t give us padanamaskar (take His blessings by touching His feet). Disappointed, but happy that He had acknowledged us in darshan, we walked back to school after bhajans. The next day, when only the teachers had gone for darshan, someone came and told us that Swami was calling us! We ran like the wind, and gasping from sheer excitement, sat in rows for the Lord to come. He came smiling with something in His hand. He looked at us and said, “Take two pens to the exam hall in case ink runs out in one of them.” Our ever compassionate Divine Mother had called us to give us pen sets! He blessed each and every one of us, as well as our hall tickets. Dream Infuses Self-Confidence

The 10th Board Exams were a nightmare as far as I was concerned. Having been brought up in the United States where there are no exams in the lower classes, the whole concept of finals was new to me. I especially dreaded Sanskrit, since the script itself was so strange, and memorisation was not a natural talent that I possessed. Swami is so aware of our innermost thoughts and feelings. He knew how much I feared the Sanskrit exam. The night before the exam, He came in my dream and showed me the whole question paper! Needless to say, my understanding of the language was so minimal, that seeing the paper didn’t help me in the exam. Nevertheless, it boosted my self-confidence that somehow I would pass. I convinced myself that if the Lord Himself took the trouble to allay my fears, then I should be courageous regardless of my personal inability. With His grace, I did clear the paper. Sai Blessings Follow His Students Everywhere

My class was the last batch to graduate from the Primary School after 10th. After we left, the 11th and 12th grades were established in Puttaparthi for girls as well. The sorrow of leaving Swami’s immediate physical presence to go to Anantapur was lessened when He gave us padnamaskar before the academic year started, and said, “My blessings are always with you, no matter where you go.”

The Boon of Womanhood

The author is blessed with an award from the Divine Chancellor

The five years in Anantapur were challenging and yet exhilarating. Swami came 2-3 times a year to the hostel and it was literally heaven to eat with Him, perform for Him, and hear His Divine Discourses tailored just for women, and to behold His Divine form. He told us how to sweep our rooms (including the corners), to fold our clothes neatly, and that we should study well. He said women had the greatest blessing to become mothers, and that in fact, was the primary and potent purpose of our birth as women! To me, it was such a powerful statement. He Sees the Past, Present and the Future

His words take on a whole new dimension when we graduate and go out into the world. After my convocation was over in November of 1991, and my mother and I were leaving Puttaparthi to return home, I sat in the lines with everyone else who was leaving that day. When Swami came out, I muttered, “Swami, Amma (mother) and I are going.” Swami looked at me and sweetly replied, “Go and come back.” Then, after walking a few steps, He turned around and looking deeply into my eyes, said “ Canada?” I numbly nodded, thinking to myself that I had never gone to Canada, but lived in the US and so it was the same North American continent. He kept looking deeply into my eyes and waving His hand, produced vibhuthi. He poured the ash into my hand and then sprayed the remaining bit with His fingers onto my face. Utterly amazed but happy to have received such grace, I did not think about the import of His words.

Two and a half years later, I accompanied my husband on a business trip and we drove to Canada. At the end of the day, we were tired and hungry, and were heading back to the hotel. My husband was driving and he suddenly realised that the exit was to the left. As he quickly changed lanes, we were struck very hard by a vehicle behind us. I started shouting “Sai Ram, Sai Ram”. Our car started to tilt, and we were about to go over the railing. The driver of the car who had hit us saw what was happening, and actually hit us again to stop us from going over. We did not realise at the time that there was a river on the other side. Both vehicles came to a screeching halt. Amazingly, no one was injured. As we were talking and exchanging information, a very well dressed watchman came up to us. He wore a suit, a cap and there was a watch hanging out from his pocket. He asked us if we were okay. We said that we were all fine and continued checking the vehicles which were badly damaged. When we looked for the watchman again, he had disappeared. In fact, there were no cars around and it was dark with no traffic passing by at all. It was only later that I realised that the watchman was none other than Swami Himself, and that the vibhuthi He had sprayed on me two years ago had saved not only me, but also my husband and the driver of the van behind us! Every Set-Back Insulated with Sai Protection

As I look back upon a multitude of life experiences from losing two of my closest loved ones, to having burglars rob my home and taking all my jewelry, to running from a raging fire while carrying my then very young son and daughter, as well as a variety of physical, mental and emotional challenges, I know that Swami has always been taking care. He has protected, strengthened and guided me. It is in times of despair and in my darkest moments that He makes His presence felt.

As I look back upon a multitude of life experiences from losing two of my closest loved ones, to having burglars rob my home and taking all my jewelry, to running from a raging fire while carrying my then very young son and daughter, as well as a variety of physical, mental and emotional challenges, I know that Swami has always been taking care. He has protected, strengthened and guided me. It is in times of despair and in my darkest moments that He makes His presence felt. His words of wisdom while I was studying in Puttaparthi and Anantapur, the experiences we had as students, and the countless times His presence is felt in my everyday life, only reiterate that our beloved Bhagavan is always there. The wonderful fact is that He is there for each and every one of us regardless of our backgrounds. His love for us is the same.

In the Sky and on Earth, the Sai Message is: “Love All, Serve All”

Recently, as I was driving home from work, I was missing Swami’s physical form. As I looked up at the clouds in the sky, I imagined them to be His hair and smiled thinking that He is looking down on Earth at all His children. Then, I prayed to Swami with tears in my eyes and asked Him what He wanted me, His child, to do now, at this stage in my life. I am a mother, a school teacher, and a Bal Vikas teacher, and I wanted His reassurance that I was doing what He wanted. During this internal dialogue with Him, I had to stop at a Stop sign before making a left turn, when I suddenly noticed that the car in front of me had a huge sticker of Swami on the back window! I had never seen something like that before! Under His smiling picture with His Hand raised in blessing, it said “Love All, Serve All”. With tears pouring down my face, my heart overflowing with gratitude, I thanked the Lord once again for His timely guidance. His Love is limitless. Without Him, life is meaningless. With Him anything is possible.

--------------------

REPORT FOR SADHANA CAMP

SAI RAM

With Swami's blessings, the Sadhana Camp held on 13th and 14th of September at Hanase Yama no ie in Kyoto made us feel near and dear to God. The theme, "Your Life is my message - Love in Action" was amply discussed in the form of speeches, video presentations and workshops. We imbibed through all our senses the divine and peaceful atmosphere surrounding the camp. The mountains and trees stood tall and majestic welcoming the Sai Devotees amongst their midst. It was the perfect venue for spiritual seekers!I would like to take this opportunity to thank the devotees for their preparations, participation and for giving their time to understand Swami's teachings which forms is the basis of our life. I personally felt this camp made me realize the urgent necessity to transform myself to become a better human being. Swami, please help us achieve this goal. We have to experience closely the message of Sai to become the MESSAGE OF SAI!Bhagawan's main teachings for the camp was to control our desires and live a detached life. He explained that happiness lies in leading a simple life with noble thoughts and higher spiritual thinking instead of running after worldly pleasures. Around us everything has a limit, even our body has a limit! It is a limited company! Likewise, we have to keep our desires in limits. He said the end of spirituality is not only Bhajans, Prayers, Meditation and Rituals. It is the removal of immorality! Swami wants us to work towards the removal of ego, pride, jealousy, envy, anger in order to attain immortality!The

workshops too helped us to practice various techniques for improving bhajan singing, playing instruments, singing Vedas, doing study circles and taking care our our body, mind and soul. The children too had lots of fun learning about Ganesha, painting, playing spiritual games and participating in special programs arranged for them. All in all, it was time well spent in good company.We left the camp with a hand full of precious divine teachings, which I pray will help us to become shinning embodiments of selfless Love.Yours In Sai Service,Mahesh

Chablani------------------

Sai Ram Ram sama

17pictures of sadhana camp. Please check Sumitomo

DSC_0582.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

-

KOBE CENTERS PROGRAMS

Kobe Center

Place : l.S.S. 2nd Fl. 1-3, Kumochi 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe (Tel: 078-222-1885) Home Page MAP

Bhajans

Bhajan Practice

Study Circle

every Sun 4:00-5:00pmevery Thur 7:30-830pm

1st,5th Sun 2:00-3:40pm 2nd Sun 2:00-3:20pm3rd,4th Sun 2:30-3:40pm every Thur 7:00-7:20pm

2nd Sun 5:30-6:30pm (English)4th Sun 5:30-6:30 (Japanese) 2nd Sun 3:40-3:55 (Gayatri Chanting)

Ladies Programme

3rd,5th Sun 5:30-6:30pm

Youth Programme

3rd Sun 0:30-2:20pm 2nd Sun in odd months 5:30-6:15pm(Study Circle)1st Sun in even months 0:30-1:50

Seva

Aisei-en (Orphanage home): 3rd Sun 9:30-11:30amNarayana Seva: 2nd,4th Sun 10:00-11:30am, 1st, 3rd Thur 9:00-10:00pm

Veda Club

Veda clup is held on every 4th Sunday after Bhajans.

Study Circle in (Japanese) is held on every 2nd Sunday on 1st fl.

Subscribe/Un information: (Free copy)

To , please send your request to rgcjp

To , please type “REMOVE” on the subject line and send to rgcjp

----------------------- SAI CENTERS: KOBE, YOKOHAMA, OSAKA, SAPPORE,HAMAMATSU

OKINAWA, CHIBA, NAGOYA, TOKYO & KYOTO.'

SAI BHAJAN GROUPS.: OBIHIRO, SAITAMA, SHIZUOKA, KITAKYUSHU, MORIOKA

TAMA, NARA, FUKUOKA, TOHOKU, NAGANO, IWAKUNI,

HIROSHIMA, KAGOSHIMA, GUNMA, KANAZAWA, KAGAWA.

Note: Sometimes schedules is subject to change.

Please contact respective centers and groups for information.

.....................................................................................................

GLOBAL KANSAI LIGHT READERS CORNER"

IN THIS ISSUE, We Share with you responses received from Readers,

We have received. "KANSAI LIGHT" issue 34...Since this corner of

acknowledgement is limited, we can print a few of these letters in

every issue.

Jai Sai Ram

-----------------

Inside In this issue...

1. Thought for the day "BABA"

2. Baba's life Story.

3. Shirdi Baba's Story

4. The Maha Bharata Prof G.V

5. Satyopanishad Part-8 Prof Anil Kumar

6. Sai Spiritual Showers "Interview"

7. Dr.Safaya "Interview" By Prof G.V

8. I want Transformation

9. Before they call, I will come

10. How Sai Captured the Photographer

11. The love of My Life

12. Sadhana Report by Br. Mahesh

13.17 Pictures of Kyoto Sadhana Camp 2 days

14. Kobe Centers Programme.

-----------------

From Surya Jai kalajalou

Sai Ram.

Thank you please send me material of "Kansai Light" and otther speakers

and Prof Anil Kumars

Jai Sai Ram. I can see My Baba in his words.

----------------

From Ramkumar <ramkumar -t-s

Dear Sir

Thank you for your mails includind "Kansai Light" and various

talks and speakers.

Sai Ram

------------

From Johan johanders

Dear Sirs,

I am always raeding your post with smile. I enjoy them often because

of the lovely examples that illustrate the messages. Today's post below

has a nice rememblance of quotes between Jesus and sathya.

----------

From MariaCrane

Dear Sir,

This is simply superb...Please can you tell me where the other articles

on the net stored...There is much material daily re-Swami. In my view

for eager students with many questions. Your articles are outstanding

helpful.

Thank you for all your efforts!

Maria

------------

From bhuwan_thapa

Sai Ram Brother,

With Love and Thanks for your email, and any beautiful emails you

have been sending steadly and Kansai Light" regularly.

Love,

Bhuwan

-------------