Om Sri Sai Ram

Om Sri Sai Ram

LIFE HISTORY OF SHIRDI SAI BABA

By Ammula Sambasiva Rao

English Translation by Thota Bhaskara Rao

Sai Baba sitting in Dwarakamayi - original photo

Chapter XIII

Mahalasapati

It was the year 1895. After experiencing Baba’s supernatural powers and his love, Mahalasapati was fully drawn to Baba and become detached from worldly attachments. One night, Khandoba appeared in his dream and asked, "If you do not do your traditional gold-smith work, cannot you get food?" To this Mahalasapati replied, "If I have your compassion, then there won’t be anything wanting and I will leave my work." From that day, Mahalasapati left his traditional work and became an ascetic, living only on alms.

Gradually, he developed a detachment from family. He went home only for taking food. At all other times, he was serving Baba. He slept in the mosque with Baba during nights. In the following year, one day Baba said, "Bhagat, hear the words of this fakir. You are sleeping in the nights in the mosque. Go and sleep in your house. You have three children, all daughters. A son will be born. Go and sleep in your house.

Mahalasapati had no desire for having a son. In fact, he had no desires at all. So he did not follow Baba’s orders. Baba forcibly sent him home with his friend Kashiram Shimpe on Krishna Jayanti day. On the same day, the following year exactly after a year, a son was born to him. Baba’s words had come true. The boy was named Marthand. When this boy grew up to the school-going age, he refused to go to school one day. When Mahalasapati tried to beat him, the boy ran to Dwarakamayi and sat in the lap of Baba. Mahalasapati came there and beating the boy, tried to send him to school. Then Baba told Mahalasapati with compassion, "Mhalsa, do not worry about your son. I will take good care of him."

Marthand grew up and by the name of Marthand Maharaj used to sit by the side of Mahalasapati Samadhi in Shirdi. When this author met him in 1985, he narrated the above incident and said that Sai Baba had kept his word feeding him in the form of his devotees. He also said that Baba had told Mahalasapati about his own parents, their names and birthplace. Because of the differences between Hindus and Muslims in those days, these particulars were kept secret. He added that his father had given him the details but taken an oath from him that he would not reveal them. He expired in 1986.

Now let’s see how Baba saved Mahalasapati and his family. One night when Mahalasapati was going home to take his meal, Baba cautioned him. "Bhagat, on your way, you will encounter two tall thieves. Be careful." Mahalasapati found two snakes, one in front and one by the side of his house. Similarly on another occasion Baba cautioned him, "Bring a lantern with you. On the way you will encounter a thief." When Mahalasapati came with the lantern, he found a snake near the mosque and he cried out, "Snake! Snake!" On hearing his cries, the villagers came running and killed the snake.

Sometime in the year 1908, all the family members of Mahalasapati fell sick. A doctor, who had come to worship Baba, gave them medicines. But Baba told him that these medicines were of no use and that he would cure them of their illness. So saying, Baba took his sataka made rounds around Dwarakamayi saying at the top of his voice, "Come - I shall see how powerful you are!" Soon all the family members of Mahalasapati recovered from their illness. Baba’s action might have been against the diseases in the house of Mahalasapati.

Once Mahalasapati’s wife went to her parents’ house. There she had an attack of throat infection due to which suffered a lot. At Shirdi, Baba told Mahalasapati, "Your wife is suffering a lot from throat infection. Except me none can save her." Then Mahalasapati told Baba "It is true. Except you who else in this world can save us?" Mahalasapati had complete faith in Baba, showing it in his words and actions. Because of this Baba cured the ailment of Mahalasapati’s wife.

Even now Sai Baba saves his devotees who completely believe in him and surrender to him, as Mahalasapati did. We appeal to the readers to do the same. Sai Baba expects pure devotion and belief and not the methods or mode of worship.

Mahalasapati used to go every year to a village called Jijuri, which was 150 miles away from Shirdi, where a festival was held for Khandoba. One year there was an epidemic of plague in that village and Mahalasapati halted halfway from the village, very much disappointed. Baba appeared before him for a moment. He fell down at Baba’s feet and when he got up Baba disappeared. He went to Jijuri and returned without any difficulties. When he went to Baba on his return, Baba questioned him, "Bhagat, Why were disappointed during your pilgrimage. I came near your cart. Did you notice me?"

On another occasion, when Mahalasapati wanted to go to a village, Doarhali, to attend a dinner at the house of his daughter’s in-laws, Baba did not give his consent. But Mahalasapati, thinking that the relatives may misunderstand him, went to their house. But he returned without eating after being put to some indignities. On his return, he went to Baba and putting his head at his feet, started weeping. On some other occasion, Mahalasapati wanted to go to the village Ardhangonu. But Baba did not permit him to go, as there would be clashes and disputes there. But Mahalasapati went. As Baba had predicted there were quarrels among the village children which led to the elders entering the fray and splitting the groups into two and fighting with sticks. But Mahalasapati escaped without any injury and returned safely.

The way Baba protected Mahalasapati at every stage shows how Sai Baba loves his devotees. In this manner, a Guru who has the capability to look after his devotees and give protection to them can only be called Samartha Sadguru.

Chavadi

Sometimes, Baba used to go to Gurusthan, and closing his eyes, merge his thoughts with those of his Guru Venkusa who resided inside the underground structure in the form of a light (Jyothi). On hearing his disciple, Venkusa would enter the head of Baba. The Guru and disciple would silently converse. In the same manner, in Dwarakamayi during nights, Baba would converse with his father Gurudhan (Ganga Bhavajya). In front of the mosque, there was a big hall, where Sadhus (mendicants) took rest and it was called Chavadi. The Sadhus and Sanyasis who came to the village stayed there.

Nana Chandorkar and some others made all arrangements to tile the floor in Dwarakamayi. They requested Baba to sleep in the Chavadi for a night, so that they could attend to the laying of tiles in Dwarakamayi overnight. Baba agreed and went to the Chavadi. He sat alone there, as Tatya and Mahalasapati also were busy with tile-laying work. No one else was with Baba in the Chavadi. In a meditative mood he concentrated on Dwarakamayi, Gurudhan and Venkusa. The three appeared before him in the form of Jyothis. They discussed several matters. After sometime, Gurudhan and Dwarakamayi went back to their places. Baba and Venkusa discussed things that would take place in Shirdi in future and also for the next 500 years. In the meantime twilight broke and Venkusa prepared to leave. But Baba pleaded with Venkusa to remain in the Chavadi and that he would come there on alternate days. Venkusa, out of

love for Baba, agreed to remain on the right side portion of the Chavadi saying that women should not be allowed to enter that place. Baba agreed to this and from that day onwards till today Venkusa is there in Chavadi in an invisible form.

Baba, living in the lap of his mother (Dwarakamayi) and attracting his father through whom he got this birth taught his disciples Jnana, he gave salvation to those who approached him, and became the God of this Kaliyug which had set in the Sai Yuga. Sai Baba bade goodbye to orthodox ways of worship and other practices. In this connection Sai Baba said, "Those who are lucky and those whose sins have been atoned will worship me. I will help them to even cross the seven seas who always think of my name. I am not interested in their ways of worship and other practices. I will dwell in the hearts of those who have sacred devotion towards me." What he did to such devotees is recounted below now.

Greatness of Baba’s Words

In the year 1909 Bhimaji Patil was suffering from tuberculosis. On the advise of Nana Saheb, he came to Shirdi and fell at the feet of Baba. In the beginning, though Baba declined to save him, he yielded to repeated requests from Bhimaji and taking pity on him said "Do not fear. Your difficulties are over. Even persons with dangerous ailments will get relief once they climb up the stairs of the mosque. The fakir (meaning Baba) is very compassionate. He will save all with love and compassion." After Baba gave these assurances the disease of Bhimaji got cured slowly and in a few days he fully recovered and became healthy. After that Baba appeared to him in dreams twice. In the first dream, it was a teacher beating him. In the second dream, it was a big boulder put on his chest, and he suffered on account of this. By beating and putting a heavy weight

on the chest, Baba removed his misdeeds and restored complete health. Noticing the divine power of Sai Baba, Bhimaji Patil, after going back to his village, started performing Sai Sathya Vrata on the lines of Satyanarayana Vrata for the first time.

Datta Pant was a resident of Hardha. He was suffering from severe stomach pain for the last fourteen years. He used several medicines but did not get relief. Hearing Baba’s greatness, he came to Shirdi, fell at his feet and requested him to save him. Baba looked at him with compassion, blessed him and put his hand (Abhaya Hastha) on his head. Then he gave him udi as prasad. Datta Pant’s stomach pain was cured immediately and it never recurred.

Another devotee of Baba, Kaka Mahajani, though suffering from diarrhea, was still serving Baba. He kept water in a small vessel in the mosque, so that he could go out whenever necessary. Since Baba knew everything, Kaka believed Baba himself would cure his diarrhea. The work of putting stone in front of the mosque had started suddenly. Baba opening his eyes wide yelled loudly. All those inside the mosque ran out, out of fear. Kaka Mahajani was also trying to run out. But Baba caught hold of his hand and made him sit down. He gave him some groundnuts, left by someone, and asked him to eat them. Baba also ate some. He asked Kaka to drink some water. After sometime, he told him that his diarrhea was cured and he could attend to the work of laying stones in front of the mosque. Kaka noticed that the diarrhea had stopped. Only Baba could have cured Kaka’s diarrhea and none else.

On another occasion, Nana Saheb Chandorkar suffered from stomach pain. Inspite of taking many medicines, he could not get relief. He came to Shirdi and approached Baba. With Baba’s hand raised in blessing, the stomach pain subsided completely.

Another of Baba’s devotees, Bala Ganapathi Shimpe, was suffering from malaria. He tried several medicines, but did not get relief. So he came to Shirdi and approached Baba. Baba asked him to go to Lakshmi Mandir and offer curds and rice to the black dog in front of the temple. As per Baba’s advise he took the curd and rice to Lakshmi Mandir. There he noticed a black dog wagging its tail and appeared as if waiting for him. He gave the curd-rice to the black dog, which ate it completely. The malarial fever subsided and he once again became healthy.

Bapu Saheb Booty once suffered from vomiting and diarrhea. Being a wealthy person, he tried several medicines, which gave no relief. Having become very weak, he could not even go to see Baba. But Baba himself sent for him and asked him to sit before him. Enlarging his eyes in a serious manner, Baba looking into Booty’s eyes and cautioned "You should not vomit or pass stools" Immediately Booty got relief and became healthy.

A sanyasi from Alandi came to see Baba. He was suffering from severe pain in the ear. Having noticed this, Shama pleaded with Baba on behalf of the sanyasi to cure his pain. Baba said, "Allah achcha Karega" meaning God will do good. So saying, Baba raised his hand in blessing and shifted his looks towards the sanyasi for a moment. The sanyasi got immediate relief.

Only a few incidents out of thousands are given above. It can be seen that Baba’s words were more powerful than the medicines. His words were the words of God. Only such a person can be called Sadguru. The other gurus show more interest in the money brought by disciples and also other material things they bring. But they can in no way be useful to their disciples. Instead of going to such gurus and wasting precious time, the readers are advised to believe in Sai Baba and attain salvation.

"Om Shanti! Shanti! Shantihi"

Chapter XIV

It was the year 1906. The day was Vyasa Poornima in the month Ashada. It was called Vyasa Poornima in recognition of Vyasa Maharshi, who authorised the eighteen Puranas. On the morning of this day, Baba called Kelkar, Sathe’s father-in-law, and told him that this day was Guru Poornima, when the Guru was to be worshipped. He asked him to bring Shama and other devotees along with the Puja materials. Dada Kelkar collected all the devotees and with the Puja materials, brought them to the mosque. By then, Baba with his half-closed eyes was concentrating on something. Noticing this no one had the courage to talk to him for fear of disturbing his concentration. After a while, Baba opened his eyes, looked at the devotees for a moment and fell silent again.

Till then, everyone believed that Baba was the incarnation of God, with divine and supernatural powers but no one had the thought to worship Baba as their ‘Guru’. Hence, they did not know whom they should worship as Guru and how to worship, and kept quiet. Knowing their thoughts Sai Baba taught them as follows:

"You are all worshipping me as a fakir with divine and supernatural powers. Some of you are believing that I am the incarnation of God. Allah Malik hai. I am only his servant. I am like a father to you all. You should benefit from me. I have come into this world to divert your thoughts from materialism towards spiritualism, and establish truth, righteousness, peace and love in you and through you to the entire mankind, and bless them with peace and happiness. This is the goal of Sai Avatar. If you worship me keeping me in a photo frame like other gods, you will not benefit anything from me. But you should consider me as your ‘Guru’ and surrender completely to me and put into practice what all I teach you. Your present actions only are the foundations for your future lives and births. You should all treat today’s Vyasa Poornima as Guru Poornima and

worship me as your Guru and make your lives happy."

Guru Poornima

From among all the devotees who had gathered in the mosque, Dada Kelkar went to Baba, prostrated before him, washed his feet in a plate, took a little of this water (Pada Tirth) inside and sprinkled it on his head, distributing it to all those present. After this he put sandal paste on Baba’s forehead, put a dot with Kumkum and worshipped him with flowers and Akshata (rice). Then he broke a coconut and gave Aarti with camphor. While the Aarti was being given, Baba’s face became very tight as if a thousand lamps were lighted with different colours. The surprised devotees wanted to touch Baba’s feet and prostrate before him. Noticing the thoughts of the devotees, he slowly walked towards the big stone that he created in front of Dwarakamayi, while the devotees spread flowers all the way and made him walk on the flowers. As soon as he reached the stone he sat on it putting his left

hand on the toe of his right leg and putting the right hand on the thigh of his right leg. Then he looked deeply into the eyes of each devotee, by which the joy experienced by them was beyond description. When they touched his feet, they felt an unknown divine power entering their bodies and reach their hearts. These things have to be personally experienced and cannot be explained. All those who experienced this, started to celebrate Guru Poornima on every Ashada Suddha Poornima day with pomp and gaiety. Even today Guru Poornima is celebrated in Shirdi. This festival is very important to Sai devotees as they worship their Guru according to their might and get the blessings from him. Those who worship their Guru with devotion and sincerity on this day will always have the Guru with them. Sai Baba had personally told them that he was Sadguru and they could not get another Guru in this world. We should completely surrender ourselves to him and seek Jnana

Marga. For those who read this chapter with devotion, let their mind grow and get true vision.

Chapter XV

In the tenth chapter we learnt how Baba saved Maina Tai from her sufferings during delivery, by sending her udi. In this chapter we will know some more incidents showing the greatness of udi. By giving it as prasad to the devotees, what did Baba intend to convey? "Everything in this world will end as ash. When life goes out of our bodies, they are cremated and they turn into ash. For such a short-lived body’s sake, why do you indulge in greed, deceit, sins and desires?" To make the devotees realise that everything in this creation is transient including the body, which is finally reduced into ash, Baba gave udi. Now let us see how this udi worked.

Greatness of Udi

One Narayana Rao was a native of Nasik and the proprietor of the hotel Anand Ashram. Once a scorpion bit his friend. The pain was unbearable. Narayana Rao searched for Baba’s udi, but could not find it. Immediately, he went to Baba’s photo, prayed to him and took some ash fallen from the incense sticks. He applied it on the place where the scorpion had bitten his friend and they were surprised when the pain subsided.

The daughter of one of Baba’s devotees and the resident of Bandra went to another village where she was struck by plague. The devotee sent word to Nana Chandorkar to send him Baba’s Udi. Word reached Nana at the Thana railway station, as he was on his way with his wife to Kalyan. He did not have Baba’s udi with him. He did not know what to do. He prayed to Sai, "Baba, I am not in a position to send your udi to the devotee who asked for it in full belief. You are all powerful. By repeating your sacred name, I will pick a little of this earth and thinking that I am giving this to the girl in the village, I will apply it on the forehead of my wife. Kindly save the girl from plague fever." The person who came to take udi from Nana watched all that took place. When he went back to the village he was surprised to find that the fever had subsided almost at the same time as when Nana

Chandorkar had put the earth on the forehead of his wife, invoking the name of Baba. The nephew of a doctor who lived in

Malegaon suffered from an incurable disease, tubercular bone-abscess. A number of medicines were used, without any result. So his parents brought him to Shirdi. Baba asked them to put udi on the abscess and it would get cured in a week’s time, adding, "This is not a mosque. It is Dwarakamayi. Whoever places his foot in it will have good health and happiness. All their difficulties will be over." So saying, Baba slowly massaged the abscess with his hand. He glanced at the boy with compassion. The pain began to subside after the application of udi and the abscess was cured completely in due course.

Once Shama’s brother’s wife had an attack of plague. She had two bubos in her groins. Shama’s brother requested him to seek the help of Baba. Then it was nighttime. Shama went running to Baba and told him about this. Baba told him, "Do not go at night time. You send udi and there is nothing to fear. For all of us the father and head is only that God - Sab ka Malik ek hai. You can go tomorrow morning and return quickly." The udi was sent through Shama’s brother. When Shama went to his brother’s house, the next morning, he found his sister-in-law completely recovered and personally preparing tea. He recollected Baba’s advice asking him to go the next morning and realised the significance of Baba’s words and was overjoyed.

Dr. Pillay was an intimate devotee of Baba. He often used to sit near Baba and Baba who loved him used to discuss many matters with him. The doctor was once suffering from guinea worms and the pain became unbearable. He went to Kaka Dixit and told him that he could not withstand the pain anymore and preferred death. He requested Kaka to go to Baba and pleased on his behalf to reduce the pain and distribute this suffering over ten births. Kaka Dixit went to Baba and told him about the condition of Dr. Pillay and his request. Baba was moved at this and with compassion told him, "Why should he suffer for ten births. Let him not fear. I can destroy the sins committed by him in the previous birth in ten days’ time. I am sitting here in Dwarakamayi to give happiness to my devotees in this world as well as the other world. Then why should my devotee desire to

die? Bring Pillay here. I will remove his pain permanently." Pillay was brought to Dwarakamayi. Baba gave him his bolster and asked him to take rest. He slowly messaged the abscess and blessed him with his raised hand. He told Pillay that the real remedy was to suffer for the sins of the previous birth and get salvation. "Our own actions are responsible for our sorrows and pleasures. Have patience. Allah can only remove the sorrows. If you meditate on God, he will look after you. You have to give him your all-body, mind, wealth and surrender yourself completely. Then God will definitely protect us. God is the head of all of us. Allah Malik. Just now a crow will come and peck you on the abscess and then you will get cured."

In the meanwhile, a boy named Abdul came and started cleaning the lights in the mosque. He leg accidentally touched the abscess and seven guinea worms came out of the abscess. Afterwards, due to applying udi on the abscess, there was complete cure in ten days without using any medicines.

Baba’s udi completely cured the fits of the daughter of an Iranian devotee, cured the old man from Hardha of a stone in the kidney, and corrected the obstruction at the time of delivery experienced each time by a Bombay lady.

Whenever a gentleman of Bandra tried to sleep, his departed father appeared in his dream and abused and scolded him severely with the result that he could not sleep. He had been suffering from insomnia, thus for a long time. His friend advised him to take a little of Baba’s udi inside and also put it on his forehead before going to sleep every night. After doing this he could sleep peacefully. This gentleman became a Sai devotee and putting up a photo of Sai in his house started worshipping it.

Kaka Mahajani’s friend was against idol worship. He went to Shirdi once to witness the miracles and Leelas of Sai Baba. Before going to Shirdi he told Kaka Mahajan that he would not give Dakshina to Baba or prostrate before him. When they reached Shirdi, Baba welcomed Kaka Mahajan;s friend with pleasing words. The voice with which Baba spoke resembled that of his departed father. For just a moment, Baba appeared to him as his father. His joy knew no bounds. He went up the stairs of the mosque saying it was really his father and so saying fell at the feet of Baba and wept. When he got up after in a few minutes, he found Baba and not his father. Then Baba said to him "You did not like to give Dakshina. So I did not ask you. Remove the screen between us. Then we can see each other clearly, and be happy. We are not different from each other. I am in you and you

are in me. At least in future, do not have that differentiation." So saying Baba ordered him to go back to his house early. Without any obstacles in the way he reached home safely. He recollected Baba’s words frequently and derived a lot of happiness. As soon as he opened the door, a sparrow flew out fast. He found two dead sparrows inside. He might have locked the door while going to Shirdi without noticing the three sparrows inside the house. Even though two sparrows died, to save the third sparrow Baba might have ordered him to go home immediately. Realising this he was surprised at Baba’s love towards all living things.

Some looked at Baba with a critical eye. So many divisions and sub-divisions in Hindu religion made the common man think, wonder if there was God at all. Besides, with the growth of materialism, God’s devotees were depicted as worthless in cinemas and modern literature. This led to the youth mocking at God and His devotees. A high court pleader named Thakkar, who had such modern thoughts, owned a company in which Kaka Mahajani worked as a Manager. He considered modern education and intelligence to be more important than devotion to God and was also of the opinion that love towards mankind was more important than an offering made to God. So with the motive of criticizing that Baba was collecting money in the form of Dakshina and also to find out the truth in his Leelas and miracles, Thakkar came with Kaka Mahajani to Shirdi during the Holi festival holidays. Kaka bought two seers of

dried grapes for offering to Baba. When he presented the grapes to Baba after Darshan, Baba ordered that the grapes may be distributed to all the devotees present there. Thakkar, not knowing how to dispose of the seeds in the grapes, for throwing them in the mosque was not proper, put them in his pocket. He considered putting the seeds removed from his mouth after chewing the grapes in his pocket to be below his dignity and blamed Baba inside his heart for creating such a situation.

Noticing the thoughts of Thakkar, Baba called him and gave him some more grapes out of the earlier stock brought by Kaka and asked him to eat them. As he did not like to eat them, he kept them in his hand. But Baba again asked him to eat them. When Thakkar ate the grapes this time, there were no seeds in them. He questioned others about the grapes they had eaten and found out that there were no seeds in the grapes. As he had wanted to see some miracles of Baba, he thought Baba had shown him this miracle. Kaka Mahajani introduced Thakkar to Baba as his master. Then Baba told that Thakkar may be the master of Kaka, but there was another Master for Thakkar who was the Master for all Allah Malik hai. So saying he blessed Thakkar, who then fell at the feet of Baba, lost in complete bliss. While he thus prostrated before Baba’s feet he found them resembling those of Lord Vishnu. But

when he got up, he found Baba’s feet only. After witnessing this, Thakkar prostrated with more devotion at Baba’s feet for second time and Baba told him, "God is Omnipresent and Omnipotent; you cannot see God so easily with your five senses and mind. Every person should try to acquire that power to see God. Though service unto mankind is service unto God, one should not forget God."

Baba clarified his doubts regarding Dakshina saying, "I will take Dakshina from only those who were indebted to the mother of the mosque. I will take Dakshina from those pointed out by the mother only. If I take a rupee as Dakshina, I have to repay ten times of it to them. This is my principle. Those who give offering or charity now are sowing seeds. This will give a good crop in future. If you give to others in this birth, you will get back in your next birth. Detachment will grow with the charities you make and with this, devotion will increase and you will get Jnana. You give a charity of one rupee now and get back ten rupees in future."

Balaji Patil Navaskar was a resident of Shirdi and a great devotee of Baba. He used to sweep all lanes through which Baba walked. Every year he used to get his entire crop and offer it to Baba, taking home only that much given to him by Baba for the maintenance of his family. Because of the complete confidence reposed in Baba, his family never faced any difficulties. Baba’s words, "There won’t be any wanting in my devotees’ house," proved to be true in the case of Balaji Patil Navaskar and the following was an example of this.

Once when Navaskar invited his relations for dinner, three times the expected number arrived. The family members were worried that the food prepared may not be sufficient for all. Praying to Sai, they covered all the vessels containing the food items with a cloth and put some Sai udi over it and without removing the cloth covers completely, they started serving the dinner. After everyone had dinner, there was still some food left over in the vessels. Thus Baba’s assurance proved to be true.

The devotees, who have read the chapters explaining the greatness of udi, should consider the udi as a cure for all ailments and keep it always with them. They should take a little of it every morning after washing in the mouth, then sprinkle some on any new thing purchased and then only use it. After taking bath, they may apply it on the forehead.

To be continued…

By Ammula Sambasiva Rao

English Translation by Thota Bhaskara Rao

Sai Baba sitting in Dwarakamayi - original photo

Chapter XIII

Mahalasapati

It was the year 1895. After experiencing Baba’s supernatural powers and his love, Mahalasapati was fully drawn to Baba and become detached from worldly attachments. One night, Khandoba appeared in his dream and asked, "If you do not do your traditional gold-smith work, cannot you get food?" To this Mahalasapati replied, "If I have your compassion, then there won’t be anything wanting and I will leave my work." From that day, Mahalasapati left his traditional work and became an ascetic, living only on alms.

Gradually, he developed a detachment from family. He went home only for taking food. At all other times, he was serving Baba. He slept in the mosque with Baba during nights. In the following year, one day Baba said, "Bhagat, hear the words of this fakir. You are sleeping in the nights in the mosque. Go and sleep in your house. You have three children, all daughters. A son will be born. Go and sleep in your house.

Mahalasapati had no desire for having a son. In fact, he had no desires at all. So he did not follow Baba’s orders. Baba forcibly sent him home with his friend Kashiram Shimpe on Krishna Jayanti day. On the same day, the following year exactly after a year, a son was born to him. Baba’s words had come true. The boy was named Marthand. When this boy grew up to the school-going age, he refused to go to school one day. When Mahalasapati tried to beat him, the boy ran to Dwarakamayi and sat in the lap of Baba. Mahalasapati came there and beating the boy, tried to send him to school. Then Baba told Mahalasapati with compassion, "Mhalsa, do not worry about your son. I will take good care of him."

Marthand grew up and by the name of Marthand Maharaj used to sit by the side of Mahalasapati Samadhi in Shirdi. When this author met him in 1985, he narrated the above incident and said that Sai Baba had kept his word feeding him in the form of his devotees. He also said that Baba had told Mahalasapati about his own parents, their names and birthplace. Because of the differences between Hindus and Muslims in those days, these particulars were kept secret. He added that his father had given him the details but taken an oath from him that he would not reveal them. He expired in 1986.

Now let’s see how Baba saved Mahalasapati and his family. One night when Mahalasapati was going home to take his meal, Baba cautioned him. "Bhagat, on your way, you will encounter two tall thieves. Be careful." Mahalasapati found two snakes, one in front and one by the side of his house. Similarly on another occasion Baba cautioned him, "Bring a lantern with you. On the way you will encounter a thief." When Mahalasapati came with the lantern, he found a snake near the mosque and he cried out, "Snake! Snake!" On hearing his cries, the villagers came running and killed the snake.

Sometime in the year 1908, all the family members of Mahalasapati fell sick. A doctor, who had come to worship Baba, gave them medicines. But Baba told him that these medicines were of no use and that he would cure them of their illness. So saying, Baba took his sataka made rounds around Dwarakamayi saying at the top of his voice, "Come - I shall see how powerful you are!" Soon all the family members of Mahalasapati recovered from their illness. Baba’s action might have been against the diseases in the house of Mahalasapati.

Once Mahalasapati’s wife went to her parents’ house. There she had an attack of throat infection due to which suffered a lot. At Shirdi, Baba told Mahalasapati, "Your wife is suffering a lot from throat infection. Except me none can save her." Then Mahalasapati told Baba "It is true. Except you who else in this world can save us?" Mahalasapati had complete faith in Baba, showing it in his words and actions. Because of this Baba cured the ailment of Mahalasapati’s wife.

Even now Sai Baba saves his devotees who completely believe in him and surrender to him, as Mahalasapati did. We appeal to the readers to do the same. Sai Baba expects pure devotion and belief and not the methods or mode of worship.

Mahalasapati used to go every year to a village called Jijuri, which was 150 miles away from Shirdi, where a festival was held for Khandoba. One year there was an epidemic of plague in that village and Mahalasapati halted halfway from the village, very much disappointed. Baba appeared before him for a moment. He fell down at Baba’s feet and when he got up Baba disappeared. He went to Jijuri and returned without any difficulties. When he went to Baba on his return, Baba questioned him, "Bhagat, Why were disappointed during your pilgrimage. I came near your cart. Did you notice me?"

On another occasion, when Mahalasapati wanted to go to a village, Doarhali, to attend a dinner at the house of his daughter’s in-laws, Baba did not give his consent. But Mahalasapati, thinking that the relatives may misunderstand him, went to their house. But he returned without eating after being put to some indignities. On his return, he went to Baba and putting his head at his feet, started weeping. On some other occasion, Mahalasapati wanted to go to the village Ardhangonu. But Baba did not permit him to go, as there would be clashes and disputes there. But Mahalasapati went. As Baba had predicted there were quarrels among the village children which led to the elders entering the fray and splitting the groups into two and fighting with sticks. But Mahalasapati escaped without any injury and returned safely.

The way Baba protected Mahalasapati at every stage shows how Sai Baba loves his devotees. In this manner, a Guru who has the capability to look after his devotees and give protection to them can only be called Samartha Sadguru.

Chavadi

Sometimes, Baba used to go to Gurusthan, and closing his eyes, merge his thoughts with those of his Guru Venkusa who resided inside the underground structure in the form of a light (Jyothi). On hearing his disciple, Venkusa would enter the head of Baba. The Guru and disciple would silently converse. In the same manner, in Dwarakamayi during nights, Baba would converse with his father Gurudhan (Ganga Bhavajya). In front of the mosque, there was a big hall, where Sadhus (mendicants) took rest and it was called Chavadi. The Sadhus and Sanyasis who came to the village stayed there.

Nana Chandorkar and some others made all arrangements to tile the floor in Dwarakamayi. They requested Baba to sleep in the Chavadi for a night, so that they could attend to the laying of tiles in Dwarakamayi overnight. Baba agreed and went to the Chavadi. He sat alone there, as Tatya and Mahalasapati also were busy with tile-laying work. No one else was with Baba in the Chavadi. In a meditative mood he concentrated on Dwarakamayi, Gurudhan and Venkusa. The three appeared before him in the form of Jyothis. They discussed several matters. After sometime, Gurudhan and Dwarakamayi went back to their places. Baba and Venkusa discussed things that would take place in Shirdi in future and also for the next 500 years. In the meantime twilight broke and Venkusa prepared to leave. But Baba pleaded with Venkusa to remain in the Chavadi and that he would come there on alternate days. Venkusa, out of

love for Baba, agreed to remain on the right side portion of the Chavadi saying that women should not be allowed to enter that place. Baba agreed to this and from that day onwards till today Venkusa is there in Chavadi in an invisible form.

Baba, living in the lap of his mother (Dwarakamayi) and attracting his father through whom he got this birth taught his disciples Jnana, he gave salvation to those who approached him, and became the God of this Kaliyug which had set in the Sai Yuga. Sai Baba bade goodbye to orthodox ways of worship and other practices. In this connection Sai Baba said, "Those who are lucky and those whose sins have been atoned will worship me. I will help them to even cross the seven seas who always think of my name. I am not interested in their ways of worship and other practices. I will dwell in the hearts of those who have sacred devotion towards me." What he did to such devotees is recounted below now.

Greatness of Baba’s Words

In the year 1909 Bhimaji Patil was suffering from tuberculosis. On the advise of Nana Saheb, he came to Shirdi and fell at the feet of Baba. In the beginning, though Baba declined to save him, he yielded to repeated requests from Bhimaji and taking pity on him said "Do not fear. Your difficulties are over. Even persons with dangerous ailments will get relief once they climb up the stairs of the mosque. The fakir (meaning Baba) is very compassionate. He will save all with love and compassion." After Baba gave these assurances the disease of Bhimaji got cured slowly and in a few days he fully recovered and became healthy. After that Baba appeared to him in dreams twice. In the first dream, it was a teacher beating him. In the second dream, it was a big boulder put on his chest, and he suffered on account of this. By beating and putting a heavy weight

on the chest, Baba removed his misdeeds and restored complete health. Noticing the divine power of Sai Baba, Bhimaji Patil, after going back to his village, started performing Sai Sathya Vrata on the lines of Satyanarayana Vrata for the first time.

Datta Pant was a resident of Hardha. He was suffering from severe stomach pain for the last fourteen years. He used several medicines but did not get relief. Hearing Baba’s greatness, he came to Shirdi, fell at his feet and requested him to save him. Baba looked at him with compassion, blessed him and put his hand (Abhaya Hastha) on his head. Then he gave him udi as prasad. Datta Pant’s stomach pain was cured immediately and it never recurred.

Another devotee of Baba, Kaka Mahajani, though suffering from diarrhea, was still serving Baba. He kept water in a small vessel in the mosque, so that he could go out whenever necessary. Since Baba knew everything, Kaka believed Baba himself would cure his diarrhea. The work of putting stone in front of the mosque had started suddenly. Baba opening his eyes wide yelled loudly. All those inside the mosque ran out, out of fear. Kaka Mahajani was also trying to run out. But Baba caught hold of his hand and made him sit down. He gave him some groundnuts, left by someone, and asked him to eat them. Baba also ate some. He asked Kaka to drink some water. After sometime, he told him that his diarrhea was cured and he could attend to the work of laying stones in front of the mosque. Kaka noticed that the diarrhea had stopped. Only Baba could have cured Kaka’s diarrhea and none else.

On another occasion, Nana Saheb Chandorkar suffered from stomach pain. Inspite of taking many medicines, he could not get relief. He came to Shirdi and approached Baba. With Baba’s hand raised in blessing, the stomach pain subsided completely.

Another of Baba’s devotees, Bala Ganapathi Shimpe, was suffering from malaria. He tried several medicines, but did not get relief. So he came to Shirdi and approached Baba. Baba asked him to go to Lakshmi Mandir and offer curds and rice to the black dog in front of the temple. As per Baba’s advise he took the curd and rice to Lakshmi Mandir. There he noticed a black dog wagging its tail and appeared as if waiting for him. He gave the curd-rice to the black dog, which ate it completely. The malarial fever subsided and he once again became healthy.

Bapu Saheb Booty once suffered from vomiting and diarrhea. Being a wealthy person, he tried several medicines, which gave no relief. Having become very weak, he could not even go to see Baba. But Baba himself sent for him and asked him to sit before him. Enlarging his eyes in a serious manner, Baba looking into Booty’s eyes and cautioned "You should not vomit or pass stools" Immediately Booty got relief and became healthy.

A sanyasi from Alandi came to see Baba. He was suffering from severe pain in the ear. Having noticed this, Shama pleaded with Baba on behalf of the sanyasi to cure his pain. Baba said, "Allah achcha Karega" meaning God will do good. So saying, Baba raised his hand in blessing and shifted his looks towards the sanyasi for a moment. The sanyasi got immediate relief.

Only a few incidents out of thousands are given above. It can be seen that Baba’s words were more powerful than the medicines. His words were the words of God. Only such a person can be called Sadguru. The other gurus show more interest in the money brought by disciples and also other material things they bring. But they can in no way be useful to their disciples. Instead of going to such gurus and wasting precious time, the readers are advised to believe in Sai Baba and attain salvation.

Chapter XIV

It was the year 1906. The day was Vyasa Poornima in the month Ashada. It was called Vyasa Poornima in recognition of Vyasa Maharshi, who authorised the eighteen Puranas. On the morning of this day, Baba called Kelkar, Sathe’s father-in-law, and told him that this day was Guru Poornima, when the Guru was to be worshipped. He asked him to bring Shama and other devotees along with the Puja materials. Dada Kelkar collected all the devotees and with the Puja materials, brought them to the mosque. By then, Baba with his half-closed eyes was concentrating on something. Noticing this no one had the courage to talk to him for fear of disturbing his concentration. After a while, Baba opened his eyes, looked at the devotees for a moment and fell silent again.

Till then, everyone believed that Baba was the incarnation of God, with divine and supernatural powers but no one had the thought to worship Baba as their ‘Guru’. Hence, they did not know whom they should worship as Guru and how to worship, and kept quiet. Knowing their thoughts Sai Baba taught them as follows:

"You are all worshipping me as a fakir with divine and supernatural powers. Some of you are believing that I am the incarnation of God. Allah Malik hai. I am only his servant. I am like a father to you all. You should benefit from me. I have come into this world to divert your thoughts from materialism towards spiritualism, and establish truth, righteousness, peace and love in you and through you to the entire mankind, and bless them with peace and happiness. This is the goal of Sai Avatar. If you worship me keeping me in a photo frame like other gods, you will not benefit anything from me. But you should consider me as your ‘Guru’ and surrender completely to me and put into practice what all I teach you. Your present actions only are the foundations for your future lives and births. You should all treat today’s Vyasa Poornima as Guru Poornima and

worship me as your Guru and make your lives happy."

Guru Poornima

From among all the devotees who had gathered in the mosque, Dada Kelkar went to Baba, prostrated before him, washed his feet in a plate, took a little of this water (Pada Tirth) inside and sprinkled it on his head, distributing it to all those present. After this he put sandal paste on Baba’s forehead, put a dot with Kumkum and worshipped him with flowers and Akshata (rice). Then he broke a coconut and gave Aarti with camphor. While the Aarti was being given, Baba’s face became very tight as if a thousand lamps were lighted with different colours. The surprised devotees wanted to touch Baba’s feet and prostrate before him. Noticing the thoughts of the devotees, he slowly walked towards the big stone that he created in front of Dwarakamayi, while the devotees spread flowers all the way and made him walk on the flowers. As soon as he reached the stone he sat on it putting his left

hand on the toe of his right leg and putting the right hand on the thigh of his right leg. Then he looked deeply into the eyes of each devotee, by which the joy experienced by them was beyond description. When they touched his feet, they felt an unknown divine power entering their bodies and reach their hearts. These things have to be personally experienced and cannot be explained. All those who experienced this, started to celebrate Guru Poornima on every Ashada Suddha Poornima day with pomp and gaiety. Even today Guru Poornima is celebrated in Shirdi. This festival is very important to Sai devotees as they worship their Guru according to their might and get the blessings from him. Those who worship their Guru with devotion and sincerity on this day will always have the Guru with them. Sai Baba had personally told them that he was Sadguru and they could not get another Guru in this world. We should completely surrender ourselves to him and seek Jnana

Marga. For those who read this chapter with devotion, let their mind grow and get true vision.

Chapter XV

In the tenth chapter we learnt how Baba saved Maina Tai from her sufferings during delivery, by sending her udi. In this chapter we will know some more incidents showing the greatness of udi. By giving it as prasad to the devotees, what did Baba intend to convey? "Everything in this world will end as ash. When life goes out of our bodies, they are cremated and they turn into ash. For such a short-lived body’s sake, why do you indulge in greed, deceit, sins and desires?" To make the devotees realise that everything in this creation is transient including the body, which is finally reduced into ash, Baba gave udi. Now let us see how this udi worked.

Greatness of Udi

One Narayana Rao was a native of Nasik and the proprietor of the hotel Anand Ashram. Once a scorpion bit his friend. The pain was unbearable. Narayana Rao searched for Baba’s udi, but could not find it. Immediately, he went to Baba’s photo, prayed to him and took some ash fallen from the incense sticks. He applied it on the place where the scorpion had bitten his friend and they were surprised when the pain subsided.

The daughter of one of Baba’s devotees and the resident of Bandra went to another village where she was struck by plague. The devotee sent word to Nana Chandorkar to send him Baba’s Udi. Word reached Nana at the Thana railway station, as he was on his way with his wife to Kalyan. He did not have Baba’s udi with him. He did not know what to do. He prayed to Sai, "Baba, I am not in a position to send your udi to the devotee who asked for it in full belief. You are all powerful. By repeating your sacred name, I will pick a little of this earth and thinking that I am giving this to the girl in the village, I will apply it on the forehead of my wife. Kindly save the girl from plague fever." The person who came to take udi from Nana watched all that took place. When he went back to the village he was surprised to find that the fever had subsided almost at the same time as when Nana

Chandorkar had put the earth on the forehead of his wife, invoking the name of Baba. The nephew of a doctor who lived in

Malegaon suffered from an incurable disease, tubercular bone-abscess. A number of medicines were used, without any result. So his parents brought him to Shirdi. Baba asked them to put udi on the abscess and it would get cured in a week’s time, adding, "This is not a mosque. It is Dwarakamayi. Whoever places his foot in it will have good health and happiness. All their difficulties will be over." So saying, Baba slowly massaged the abscess with his hand. He glanced at the boy with compassion. The pain began to subside after the application of udi and the abscess was cured completely in due course.

Once Shama’s brother’s wife had an attack of plague. She had two bubos in her groins. Shama’s brother requested him to seek the help of Baba. Then it was nighttime. Shama went running to Baba and told him about this. Baba told him, "Do not go at night time. You send udi and there is nothing to fear. For all of us the father and head is only that God - Sab ka Malik ek hai. You can go tomorrow morning and return quickly." The udi was sent through Shama’s brother. When Shama went to his brother’s house, the next morning, he found his sister-in-law completely recovered and personally preparing tea. He recollected Baba’s advice asking him to go the next morning and realised the significance of Baba’s words and was overjoyed.

Dr. Pillay was an intimate devotee of Baba. He often used to sit near Baba and Baba who loved him used to discuss many matters with him. The doctor was once suffering from guinea worms and the pain became unbearable. He went to Kaka Dixit and told him that he could not withstand the pain anymore and preferred death. He requested Kaka to go to Baba and pleased on his behalf to reduce the pain and distribute this suffering over ten births. Kaka Dixit went to Baba and told him about the condition of Dr. Pillay and his request. Baba was moved at this and with compassion told him, "Why should he suffer for ten births. Let him not fear. I can destroy the sins committed by him in the previous birth in ten days’ time. I am sitting here in Dwarakamayi to give happiness to my devotees in this world as well as the other world. Then why should my devotee desire to

die? Bring Pillay here. I will remove his pain permanently." Pillay was brought to Dwarakamayi. Baba gave him his bolster and asked him to take rest. He slowly messaged the abscess and blessed him with his raised hand. He told Pillay that the real remedy was to suffer for the sins of the previous birth and get salvation. "Our own actions are responsible for our sorrows and pleasures. Have patience. Allah can only remove the sorrows. If you meditate on God, he will look after you. You have to give him your all-body, mind, wealth and surrender yourself completely. Then God will definitely protect us. God is the head of all of us. Allah Malik. Just now a crow will come and peck you on the abscess and then you will get cured."

In the meanwhile, a boy named Abdul came and started cleaning the lights in the mosque. He leg accidentally touched the abscess and seven guinea worms came out of the abscess. Afterwards, due to applying udi on the abscess, there was complete cure in ten days without using any medicines.

Baba’s udi completely cured the fits of the daughter of an Iranian devotee, cured the old man from Hardha of a stone in the kidney, and corrected the obstruction at the time of delivery experienced each time by a Bombay lady.

Whenever a gentleman of Bandra tried to sleep, his departed father appeared in his dream and abused and scolded him severely with the result that he could not sleep. He had been suffering from insomnia, thus for a long time. His friend advised him to take a little of Baba’s udi inside and also put it on his forehead before going to sleep every night. After doing this he could sleep peacefully. This gentleman became a Sai devotee and putting up a photo of Sai in his house started worshipping it.

Kaka Mahajani’s friend was against idol worship. He went to Shirdi once to witness the miracles and Leelas of Sai Baba. Before going to Shirdi he told Kaka Mahajan that he would not give Dakshina to Baba or prostrate before him. When they reached Shirdi, Baba welcomed Kaka Mahajan;s friend with pleasing words. The voice with which Baba spoke resembled that of his departed father. For just a moment, Baba appeared to him as his father. His joy knew no bounds. He went up the stairs of the mosque saying it was really his father and so saying fell at the feet of Baba and wept. When he got up after in a few minutes, he found Baba and not his father. Then Baba said to him "You did not like to give Dakshina. So I did not ask you. Remove the screen between us. Then we can see each other clearly, and be happy. We are not different from each other. I am in you and you

are in me. At least in future, do not have that differentiation." So saying Baba ordered him to go back to his house early. Without any obstacles in the way he reached home safely. He recollected Baba’s words frequently and derived a lot of happiness. As soon as he opened the door, a sparrow flew out fast. He found two dead sparrows inside. He might have locked the door while going to Shirdi without noticing the three sparrows inside the house. Even though two sparrows died, to save the third sparrow Baba might have ordered him to go home immediately. Realising this he was surprised at Baba’s love towards all living things.

Some looked at Baba with a critical eye. So many divisions and sub-divisions in Hindu religion made the common man think, wonder if there was God at all. Besides, with the growth of materialism, God’s devotees were depicted as worthless in cinemas and modern literature. This led to the youth mocking at God and His devotees. A high court pleader named Thakkar, who had such modern thoughts, owned a company in which Kaka Mahajani worked as a Manager. He considered modern education and intelligence to be more important than devotion to God and was also of the opinion that love towards mankind was more important than an offering made to God. So with the motive of criticizing that Baba was collecting money in the form of Dakshina and also to find out the truth in his Leelas and miracles, Thakkar came with Kaka Mahajani to Shirdi during the Holi festival holidays. Kaka bought two seers of

dried grapes for offering to Baba. When he presented the grapes to Baba after Darshan, Baba ordered that the grapes may be distributed to all the devotees present there. Thakkar, not knowing how to dispose of the seeds in the grapes, for throwing them in the mosque was not proper, put them in his pocket. He considered putting the seeds removed from his mouth after chewing the grapes in his pocket to be below his dignity and blamed Baba inside his heart for creating such a situation.

Noticing the thoughts of Thakkar, Baba called him and gave him some more grapes out of the earlier stock brought by Kaka and asked him to eat them. As he did not like to eat them, he kept them in his hand. But Baba again asked him to eat them. When Thakkar ate the grapes this time, there were no seeds in them. He questioned others about the grapes they had eaten and found out that there were no seeds in the grapes. As he had wanted to see some miracles of Baba, he thought Baba had shown him this miracle. Kaka Mahajani introduced Thakkar to Baba as his master. Then Baba told that Thakkar may be the master of Kaka, but there was another Master for Thakkar who was the Master for all Allah Malik hai. So saying he blessed Thakkar, who then fell at the feet of Baba, lost in complete bliss. While he thus prostrated before Baba’s feet he found them resembling those of Lord Vishnu. But

when he got up, he found Baba’s feet only. After witnessing this, Thakkar prostrated with more devotion at Baba’s feet for second time and Baba told him, "God is Omnipresent and Omnipotent; you cannot see God so easily with your five senses and mind. Every person should try to acquire that power to see God. Though service unto mankind is service unto God, one should not forget God."

Baba clarified his doubts regarding Dakshina saying, "I will take Dakshina from only those who were indebted to the mother of the mosque. I will take Dakshina from those pointed out by the mother only. If I take a rupee as Dakshina, I have to repay ten times of it to them. This is my principle. Those who give offering or charity now are sowing seeds. This will give a good crop in future. If you give to others in this birth, you will get back in your next birth. Detachment will grow with the charities you make and with this, devotion will increase and you will get Jnana. You give a charity of one rupee now and get back ten rupees in future."

Balaji Patil Navaskar was a resident of Shirdi and a great devotee of Baba. He used to sweep all lanes through which Baba walked. Every year he used to get his entire crop and offer it to Baba, taking home only that much given to him by Baba for the maintenance of his family. Because of the complete confidence reposed in Baba, his family never faced any difficulties. Baba’s words, "There won’t be any wanting in my devotees’ house," proved to be true in the case of Balaji Patil Navaskar and the following was an example of this.

Once when Navaskar invited his relations for dinner, three times the expected number arrived. The family members were worried that the food prepared may not be sufficient for all. Praying to Sai, they covered all the vessels containing the food items with a cloth and put some Sai udi over it and without removing the cloth covers completely, they started serving the dinner. After everyone had dinner, there was still some food left over in the vessels. Thus Baba’s assurance proved to be true.

The devotees, who have read the chapters explaining the greatness of udi, should consider the udi as a cure for all ailments and keep it always with them. They should take a little of it every morning after washing in the mouth, then sprinkle some on any new thing purchased and then only use it. After taking bath, they may apply it on the forehead.

To be continued…