KANSAI LIGHT , AUGUST 2009. ISSUE NO.44

News letter of Sri Sathya Sai Organization Japan

address: I.S.S, 2nd Fl, 1-3, Kumochi 5-Chome, Chuo Ku Kobe

Tel: 078-222-1885, Email: rgcjp

-----------

PLEASE PRINT COPY FOR YOUR EASY REFERENCE

---------------

There is only one Sun in the sky.

But we its reflections in many rivers,tanks and vessels Sin is only one.But ever there is water, you see its

reflections. If you pour water in a plate, you can see the

reflections of the Sun even in the water. Does it

Many that the sun is there in this water.? No no. It is only t

he reflections of the sun. In the same way, Atma is only one

The mind, the intellect, the subconscious mind and ego are

different vessels. There is only one Divinty

---------------------------

MUSINGS ON AVATARS PART 1

By Prof. G. Venkataraman

Dear Readers, for the last 40 issues, between October 2004 to February 2008, we brought you a spiritual feast in the form of the "Gita for Children" in a serialized form. (To find all the issues of this series in one place, click here). Prior to that, we had started our first series entitled "Shirdi Sai – Parthi Sai" which is continuing till date. The "Gita for Children" series was taken from the book "Krishna - Arjuna Dialogue" authored by Prof. Venkataraman. As we concluded the final segment of this book last month, from this issue onwards, we are pleased to present a new series on "Avatars" or Divine Incarnations. These are adaptations of talks delivered

recently on Radio Sai by Prof. G. Venkataraman, and are based on the book "Message of the Lord" authored by him a few years earlier. We hope H2H readers will relish the spiritual insights this series offers.

Loving Sai Ram and greetings from Prashanti Nilayam. Starting this month, I intend to present a series of articles meant mainly for those who are not familiar with Indian mythology or Puraanas as we refer to them in India. Basically, these articles would revolve around the stories of Lord Rama and Krishna, whose names must undoubtedly be familiar to all readers, including those from overseas.

In presenting these articles, I wish to make an apology right at the beginning to Indian readers, many of whom might consider that my presentation is not adequate and lacking in many respects. I readily agree that my presentation is a rather simplified one. However, I have taken the liberty making it so, because my aim is to get across to the unfamiliar reader, the essential aspects of the two great Avatars, Rama and Krishna. I am confident that despite their shortcomings, these talks would help those unfamiliar with the Ramayana and the Mahabharatha to understand better the numerous references that Swami makes to these great epics in His Discourses. I should also not omit to mention that Swami has not only narrated the stories of these earlier Avatars extensively, but has also written about them in His Ramakatha Rasa Vahini and Bhagavatha Vahini, to name just two books.

I do hope that this series would induce readers to refer to these sources for greater clarity and inspiration. With these caveats and introductory remarks, let me get on with the job. ‘I Incarnate from Age to Age’ In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna refers to the repeated Incarnations or the Avatars of Lord Almighty. According to the scriptures of India (Bharat), there have been several Avatars. In the very early ones, the Lord did not assume a human form; it was only later that He began to assume the Human Form. My focus would be mainly on the Rama and the Krishna Avatars, in both of which, the Lord came down with a Human Form. Although God has incarnated many times – one really does not know how many – according to a common tradition, one counts only ten Avatars, all of which are supposed to be Incarnations of Lord Vishnu. You might be aware that Divinity has a three-fold aspect, related respectively to Creation, the sustenance of Creation, and finally the dissolution of Creation. According to folklore, these three aspects are managed by three Gods/deities/aspects, call it what you wish. They are respectively, Brahma [who is in charge of Creation], Vishnu [who plays the role of the Protector and Sustainer], and Shiva [who takes care of dissolving Creation]. Many religiously believe in this triune, but, as Swami reminds us, the Supreme is Formless, and as such, attributing specific forms like Brahma, Vishnu, etc., is largely a matter of convenience and may even be tradition. How Does God Become an Avatar The question then arises: “In that case, what is it that incarnates?†Vedanta gives a clue and Krishna confirms it in the Gita. Krishna says it is essentially the Unmanifest Divinity that is beyond Space and Time and which is Formless that assumes a particular form for a particular purpose. That Unmanifest Divinity is also referred to as Supreme Consciousness. In other words, at the highest philosophical level, God is Supreme Consciousness.

The Ten Avatars of Lord Vishnu

And a projection of the Supreme Consciousness in some form on to space and time, and for the specific purpose of preserving Dharma (righteousness), is what really constitutes an Avatar. Since every projection on space-time has a form, when God incarnates as an Avatar, clearly the Avatar too has a Form. Maybe I should add a few more remarks to supplement the above. You see, when God creates the Universe, it is not as if He moves from one plane to another. Let us say there is a tree and there is also sunlight. The tree would naturally cast a shadow; as a result, we then have both the tree as well as the shadow. The tree is the totality while the shadow, being a projection of the tree on a two-dimensional plane, has features related to the tree. Thus it is that in the shadow we see bits and pieces of the trunk, the branches, the leaves, and so on. Of course, all the details in the original tree are not seen in the shadow. Similarly, when God creates the Universe by projecting Himself, all aspects of His Divinity are not fully evident in this projection. That applies to some extent to the Avatars too. For example, God is Eternal but in Creation, every entity that is born, including the Avatars, disappears later due to natural processes. To repeat, as Krishna explains, the Universe is a projection of the Absolute, Eternal, Formless God on space-time. Further, all the diversity we see is a trick of the Divine Shadow Play; that is, on the stage called space-time, The One appears as many! You would surely agree that just because the shadow is there, the tree does not vanish or cease to be. This is a very important point, and it is to stress this that Krishna essentially tells Arjuna, “Arjuna, in the ultimate analysis, I am what I am, Unmanifest Divinity, that is Absolute, Eternal, Attribute-less, and Formless. A portion of My Unmanifest Divinity is projected on the Universe, where I cannot be directly seen but certainly experienced. In addition, whenever required, I also appear in a special form to play a direct role Myself. It is such Incarnations that are called Avatars. All these diverse projections constitute an infinitesimal part of Myself, which is truly Infinite. Let Me assert that when I make an appearance as an Avatar, it does not mean that I abandon My Absolute aspect and put in an appearance here on earth; not at all. Just as the Sun is always there while sunlight is present sometimes and absent at other times, I come and go as an Avatar, many times, even while My Eternal aspect always is.†That is the essence of how Krishna explained it all to Arjuna. I guess I have given enough of a background to set the stage for what follows. While my main focus would be on Rama and Krishna, I shall, for the sake of completeness, start with a brief overview of the ten Avatars of Vishnu. I am aware that this point of view can be disputed and many questions also raised. To go into all of them would distract me from my present purpose; I shall, in my introduction, restrict to giving just a cursory overview of the ten Avatars, as I have heard it narrated. Just to clarify once more, my main objective in the present musings series is to focus on the story of Rama and Krishna. However, for the convenience of many readers, I shall embed that narrative within the framework of the ten Incarnations of Vishnu that one traditionally speaks of. So, now onto a brief overview of the ten Avatars of Vishnu, as is popularly believed. By the way, I shall often use the words Narayana and Vishnu interchangeably, though there might be some technical disapproval of that. An Overview of the Ten Avatars Matsya Avatar As you might know, according to legend, every time the Universe is dissolved, there is supposed to be a Great Flood or Pralayam as it is referred to. Apparently, the last time the Universe was dissolved, the Vedas got drowned in the Pralayam and sank deep into the waters. A new Universe had to be created, for which purpose, Brahma, the Creator, needed the Vedas. Vishnu was then given the task of retrieving the Vedas, which He did by assuming the form of a fish and descending into the waters. This Incarnation of Lord Vishnu as a fish is known as Matsya Avatara [matsya means fish]. Basically, this Incarnation was for a rescue operation, and had nothing to do with getting rid of the evil doers. However, let us not forget that what this tale reminds us is the importance of Vedas for the sustenance of Dharma; in other words, for the

Universe to exist and be sustained, Dharma is essential – that is the broad message.

Matsya Avatar

Koorma Avatar

Koorma Avatar Next came, the Koorma Avatar, in which Lord Vishnu assumed the form of a tortoise. What for? To give the newly created Universe support. Even today, many believe that the earth rests on the back of a tortoise. I personally think that the real message is that it is the Lord who really supports and sustains the Universe. Varaha Avatar

Varaha Avatar

Moving on, we come next to the Varaha Avatar, where Vishnu assumes the form of a boar. This is the first time we see the Lord actually engaged in eliminating the source of evil, and I shall come to that story soon for it is intimately related to the story of Rama and Krishna. Narasimha Avatar The fourth Avatar of Vishnu is the Narasimha Avatar, and that story too will come up later, like that of the Varaha Avatar. Vamana Avatar On now to the fifth Avatar, which is the Vamana Avatar. Here Vishnu appears as a small Brahmin, a dwarf almost. There was an Emperor named Bali, who went on a conquest spree. Wanting to rule over all the three worlds [it was customary to talk of three worlds in those days] Bali decided, in accordance with the advice of his Guru Sukracharya, to perform a grand Yajna. In those days, whenever a big wish needed to be fulfilled, the person with the desire performed a Yajna.

At the end of the ritual, some God or deity was supposed to appear whereupon one duly made the request. Bali wanted the Lord to appear and grant him the boon that would ensure for him the rulership of all the worlds. Naturally, this ambition of Bali worried the Devas who ruled the heavens; they obviously did not want to come under Bali, an earthling. So they appealed to Lord Vishnu to do something, which of course He agreed to. And what did the Lord do? He incarnated as a diminutive Brahmin. Why? Ah, that is where the story lies! Now when a Yajna is performed, priests and Brahmins gather there in large numbers because the one who performs the Yajna invariably gives away a lot in charities. For Brahmins, it is a good time to receive gifts! So when Vishnu appeared as a small Brahmin boy and joined the crowd, nobody saw anything peculiar in that; except Sukracharya, the Guru of Bali.

Vamana Avatar

It was time to offer charity and distribute gifts, and Emperor Bali gave to each Brahmin what was asked for, which was always reasonable and within bounds. Came then the turn of Vamana, and the Emperor asked the standard question, “Oh Brahmin, ask what you want and I shall give accordingly.†Sukracharaya who knew what was to happen, cautioned Bali.

He whispered, “Emperor, beware! Do not make any such blanket promises!†The Emperor shook his head and said, “No, I have given my word and my Dharma requires me to adhere to it.†The Guru was dismayed but did not give up and said, “But Emperor, if you grant what this Brahmin asks for, you are finished.†Before I carry on with the rest of the story as traditionally narrated, I must make a special reference to the way Swami tells this story, which He often does during His Onam Discourses. Onam is a festival in celebration of Emperor Bali. According to folklore, Bali ruled in that part of India called Kerala, and every year on Onam day, Bali revisits his old country to be with his people.

Swami says that Guru Sukracharya not only cautioned Bali but actually told him, “This is no ordinary Brahmin; this is the very Lord Himself, disguised as a dwarf Brahmin, out to thwart your ambition, at the request of the Devas or the demi-gods. Do not therefore agree to give what He asks for.†Swami says that Bali told his Guru, “Normally, one asks the Lord to give to us; but today, it is the Lord Himself who is asking to be given. How fortunate I am to have the chance to give! It is a privilege to have my hand above giving, and that of the Lord below receiving!â€

Swami adds, “Bali had his priorities right; when it comes to choosing between man and God, one must always choose God. Bali had to decide whether he was going to accept his Guru’s advice and go against his word, or keep his promise, rejecting the Guru’s advice in the process. Bali chose wisely, and as a result, the Lord blessed him so that he could return once every year to reunite with his people and share their merrymaking. To complete the story as usually told, when Bali agreed to give what Vamana asked for, the Brahmin said, “Oh Emperor, I do not want much; I just want what three footsteps of mine can cover.†Bali agreed and Vamana took the first step. With that, Vamana covered the whole earth; Bali had to surrender it to Vamana. Vamana then took the second step with which he covered the whole sky; that too was surrendered to Vamana. The Brahmin then said, “I have still one more step left; where do I put my foot after taking the step? The earth is no longer available nor is the sky. What do you have to say?†Bali said, “You may put your foot on my head.†Vamana did that and that was the completion of the conquest of Bali. So the story usually ends, with Vamana, the victor, and Bali, the loser. Swami however says that Bali did not lose at all; rather, he achieved perfect surrender and total redemption thereby. So

what is the bottom line? Offering the head for the Lord to put His Foot on implies total surrender. Surrender to the Lord as Bali did – that’s the implied message. So much for the story of Vamana, the fifth Avatar. Parasurama Avatar

Parasurama Avatar

Technically, the sixth Avatar is supposed to be Parasurama, concerning whom there are many versions of the story. What makes this Avatar even more difficult to understand is that Parasurama and Rama have a confrontation! Avatar versus Avatar? I know that there are many interpretations, but since I am not able to understand them myself, I would be less than honest if I tried to relate any of those stories.

I should not, however, forget to point out that Swami has described the meeting between Parasurama and Lord Rama, and its tone is very different from what is normally offered. The gist of it is that when Parasurama gave Rama his bow, Parasurama formally transferred an aspect of the Divine that was with him to Rama, to complete the Divine aspect of Rama. The Next Four Avatars This brings us to the seventh Avatar, Lord Rama, whose story is narrated separately. Later, the Lord incarnated again as Lord Krishna, making it Avatar number eight; that story would be narrated in detail later; which leaves two more to complete the score of ten. Buddha is taken to be the ninth Avatar, while the tenth Avatar is supposed to incarnate in this the Kali Age, now running. The tenth Avatar is called the Kalki Avatar, and is supposed to come on a horse. Many religiously believe in this chronology and for such people, Swami would not count as an Avatar. For me, and I guess for many like me, this acceptance or rejection does not matter. Swami is here, and we all accept Him as an Incarnation of God, not for this or that technical reason, but because verily He is the Embodiment of Sathya, Dharma, Shanti, Prema and Ahimsa.

That is what a Poorna Avatar is supposed to be; that is what Rama was and it was the same with Krishna. Thus, along with Rama and Krishna, Swami occupies a special place in human history, which is why I am offering this overview of Rama and Krishna Avatars for the benefit of those who are not familiar with those aspects of His Story. Incidentally, allow me to quote what Gandhi said about God. He said, and I quote from memory, “He is no God who merely satisfies the intellect. God to be God must rule the Heart and transform the senses.†That is what Gandhi said; does not that definition fit our beloved Swami perfectly? I think it does and that is why I have no problem in accepting Swami as God personified. Whether or not Sai fits into the traditional book-view is for others to worry about! Let me move on. Now that I have given you the overview of the ten traditional Avatars of Lord Vishnu and the place of the Rama and the Krishna Avatars in this scheme, I should logically go straight to the story of Rama. I shall not do that and with good reason. According to the folklore, it so happens that the stories of Rama and of Krishna are tied up with the stories of a couple of Avatars that preceded these two. Why? Thereby hangs a tale and it is to that I shall now turn. Hiranyaksha’s Destruction by the Varaha Avatar

It all starts with the Rishis or Sages Sanaka, Sananda, Sanatana and Sanatkumara making a trip to Vaikuntam, the Abode of Lord Vishnu, often hailed as Narayana. As they were about to enter the Lord's chamber, they were rudely stopped by two guards named Jayan and Vijayan.

Lord Vishnu

(Swami has clarified that Jayan and Vijayan did so because they felt that the Rishis were not properly attired.) Feeling deeply insulted, the Rishis cursed the doorkeepers to be born on earth where they would be far away from their beloved Lord.

At this stage, Lord Narayana Himself came out to investigate the commotion outside His chamber. Seeing the Lord and fearful of being banished from His Divine presence, the two guards fell at His feet and begged for a waiver of the curse of the Rishis.

Narayana replied, "I am sorry the curse has to stand but you have a choice. You can either take ten births as virtuous men before returning to Vaikuntam or three births as evil beings full of hatred for Me. In the latter case, I shall kill you both in every birth of yours, and finally in the Dwapara Yuga, both of you after annihilation would come back to Me. The choice is yours." Jayan and Vijayan thought that ten births would keep them away too long from Vaikuntam and therefore settled for three births, even as evil beings full of hatred for the Lord. Thus it was that Lord Narayana had to incarnate several times for destroying the earthly forms of His two guards. Let us now follow what happened when Jayan and Vijayan were born three times, as demons. In their first such birth, they were born to Sage Kashyap via Diti, one of the Sage’s wives. These two demons were named Hiranyaksha and Hiranyakashyapu. To get rid of these two demons, the Lord had to incarnate twice; on now to the story of the first of two such Incarnations. By intense worship of Brahma, the Creator, Hiranyaksha gained several boons that conferred great powers. Feeling arrogant and immensely puffed up, Hiranyaksha then went on a rampage, conquering and harassing. As a part of this campaign, Hiranyaksha entered the nether world and challenged its chief Varuna to a battle. Varuna pleaded that he was not really a worthy opponent and that the only one who could give a good fight was Narayana. Thus Lord Narayana Himself became a target for Hiranyaksha. I suppose you see here an allegorical reference to modern man, who, flushed with his numerous scientific and technological successes, is now questioning the very existence of God from whom he has come. What this mythological story tells us is that, what is happening now is merely a re-run of an old episode! To get on with my narration, Varaha is the Avatar of Lord Vishnu when He came to save Mother Earth from demon Hiranyaksha. Hiranyaksha was huge and all beings trembled before him. Even Brahma, the Creator, could not subdue this demon. Going on a conquest spree, Hiranyaksha invaded the heavens forcing the Gods to take shelter in caves. I have already mentioned that Hiranyaksha also frightened the wits out of Varuna, the ruler of the nether world. Hiranyaksha now turned his attention to Earth, then ruled by Manu. The demon snatched the Earth away and took it to the bottom of the Ocean, making life on earth impossible. Manu and his wife fled and threw themselves at the feet of Brahma. The Creator was deeply concerned and said, “I cannot personally destroy this wicked demon because of a boon I have granted him. But he is not safe from the might of the Lord. So let us appeal to Lord Vishnu.†Brahma then meditated on the Lord, and from Brahma’s nostril there fell a tiny boar [Varaha is the Sanskrit word for boar]. It was the Lord appearing in that form. The moment the boar appeared, it instantly grew huge in size. With a mighty roar, the boar leapt into the air, and dived into the Ocean to bring the Earth up. Meanwhile, Hiranyaksha was going round in search of Narayana so that he could challenge Him. On the way, he met Sage Narada who readily obliged the Asura with information concerning Narayana's whereabouts. Narada said that Narayana had assumed the form of a boar so that He could lift the Earth with His tusk from the bottom of the ocean. Incidentally, on the ceiling of the Poornachandra Auditorium in Prashanti Nilayam, there is, among the many illustrations there, a depiction of Narayana in the Varaha Avatar. Narada added, “Narayana is just about to surface from the water, and if you hurry you can catch Him". For those of you who do not know, Sage Narada is a great devotee of Narayana, constantly wandering amongst the three worlds, singing His praise. Narada is popularly referred to as a great troublemaker, but that of course is an uncharitable description. In actual fact, Narayana makes Narada play

that role as a part of His great Drama!

The Varaha Avatar - Rescuing Mother Earth

Hiranyaksha rushed to where Narayana was (in the form of a boar), and challenged Him. A prolonged fight ensued, witnessed by the Devas or the Gods of heaven, the sages, etc. Among those present was Brahma, the Creator (and son of Narayana). Feeling anxious for the Lord, Brahma (who earlier had granted the boons which made Hiranyaksha powerful) pointed out to Narayana that it was then the sacred hour of Abhijit Muhurtam and this therefore was a good time to finish off the Asura; a delay would mean the onset of darkness when annihilation would be more difficult since Asuras gained strength in the dark. The Lord smiled as if to say, "I am Time itself, and this son of Mine is trying to teach Me about the right time to do things!" Anyway, responding to Brahma's wish, He immediately destroyed Hiranyaksha. Mission accomplished, The Lord returned to Vaikuntam to await the moment when another Incarnation would be necessary, this time for the destruction of Hiranyakashyapu. For long, I used to wonder why the fight between Varaha and Hiranyaksha took so long, when the Lord was supposed to be all powerful. It was only later that I realised that Hiranyaksha taking the Earth away is symbolic of humanity being hijacked by evil forces, and that to rescue humanity it takes a long fight over evil. Given today’s circumstances, I am sure you would agree with my broad view of this allegorical story. Hiranyakashyapu’s Elimination by the Narasimha Avatar This brings us now the story of how the Lord took care of the second demon, Hiranyakashyapu. If you happen to look at artists’ rendering of Hiranyakashyapu, you would find the features to be entirely human, a reminder of the fact that it is not the bodily features that are demonic, but the behaviour. Anyway, to get on with our story, Hiranyakashyapu had but one desire - to be invincible and to be the lord of the three worlds. And in order to achieve this, he did intense penance to propitiate Brahma, the Creator. Pleased, Brahma appeared before Hiranyakashyapu, permitting the latter to ask for boons. Hiranyakashyapu said: "I do not want to die. So grant me that no creature of yours (i.e., in Creation) will cause my death. Death shall not come to me inside the house nor outside; not during day nor night; not on earth nor in the sky ..." Smilingly, Brahma granted the request. Confident that he had insured himself against all possibilities of death, Hiranyakashyapu promptly launched a campaign of conquest and soon became the master of the three worlds, exactly as he had once dreamt. Hiranyakashyapu had four sons of whom the youngest was Prahalada. Though born an Asura, in nature and temperament he was the just the opposite - gentle, sweet, full of kindness, in short, totally Sattvik. At the age of five, Prahalada was placed under tutors for receiving education. Traditionally, the instruction would include both the secular and the spiritual, but hating Narayana as he did, Hiranyakashyapu gave strict orders that Prahalada must be taught to worship only him (i.e., Hiranyakashyapu) as the Supreme Lord and not Narayana.

However, swept by his devotion for Narayana, Prahalada refused to accept his father as the Supreme One. Infuriated, Hiranyakashyapu tried his best to frighten Prahalada, but finding that threats did not work he ordered that Prahalada be killed. The young Prince was totally unperturbed. Constantly chanting Om Namo Narayanaya, he faced all dangers. Many methods of killing him were tried, such as crushing by elephants, rolling from mountains, drowning in the sea etc., but every time Prahalada had a miraculous escape. Exasperated, Hiranyakashyapu sent for his son in an effort to persuade him once more. But it was of no avail since Prahalada would acknowledge no one but Narayana as the Supreme Lord. In desperation Hiranyakashyapu said, "I am the ruler of the three worlds and so I should be your Lord. How can you give that status to Narayana? Where is this Narayana whom you are constantly worshipping? I don't see him." Smiling, Prahalada replied, "Father, He is everywhere." Eyes red with anger Hiranyakashyapu mockingly asked, "Is He in this pillar?" Prahalada replied, "Yes, of course". "In that case," roared Hiranyakashyapu, "see what I do to Him". So saying he kicked the pillar.

Lord Narasimha

Immediately, a thundering noise of terrifying intensity was heard. The pillar split into two and from it emerged a weird creature, half human and half lion - Narayana had come in the form of Narasimha (man-lion). Such a creature did not belong to Brahma's Creation. Suddenly Hiranyakashyapu remembered the boon granted by Brahma. No death from earthly creatures for sure but was he safe against this one?

He looked around and discovered that it was neither day nor night; it was twilight, again a bad omen. Meanwhile, Narasimha lifted Hiranyakashyapu and carried him to the doorstep - neither in the house nor outside! Sitting there Narasimha placed the Asura on his lap - neither on Earth or in the Sky - and proceed to tear him apart and, as a gory finale, removed his entrails and wore it as garland. Hiranyakashyapu was dead and Narayana's mission was over. It may be noted that in both the Avatars discussed above, the Lord did not assume a human form; nor did the Avatars fall in the category of Poorna Avatar. They were instead, Karana (functional) Avatars. Swami has commented that Hiranyakashyapu was a great scientist and behaved very much like his counterparts of today, i.e., in denying the existence of God. What about Prahalada? Was it right on his part to disobey his father? After all, do not the Vedas declare that mother and father are God? About this, Swami says that elders must, of course, be revered but if anyone comes between an individual and God, then God has priority. Thus it is that Prahalada, applying fundamental discrimination, placed God above his father. Similarly, as we saw earlier, in the Vamana Avatar, Emperor Maha Bali placed God above Guru; and, as we shall soon see, in the Ramayana, Bharata chose God above mother. Swami has also pointed out the inner significance of the other aspects like the kicking of the pillar. The pillar represents ignorance, and when ignorance is destroyed, Knowledge shines forth. That brings me to the end of this first instalment. Next time, we shall pick up the story from where we are leaving now. I do hope this article was of some use. Do write to us at h2h and tell us what you think. Jai Sai Ram.

(to be continued...) – Heart2Heart Team

SATHYA SAI SPEAKS TRUE EDUCATION EMERGES FROM THE HEART

In this world, there are millions of educated people. Right from a child to a learned old man, everyone is interested in reading books and acquiring knowledge. But in what way are they benefited by the acquisition of bookish knowledge? Such education can only help you to eke out a livelihood.

Bookish knowledge only burdens our brains

One may study a number of books and master various branches of knowledge, but does he/she enjoy peace and tranquility? All the knowledge that we acquire from books can only take care of our physical needs.The fact is, true knowledge is latent in everyone. Women do not lag behind men in academic excellence. People think that education confers on them respect and esteem. But, people lack true wisdom in spite of their high academic achievements.

Education Should Turn the Students Inward In the present times parents want their children to pursue solely job-oriented education. But, what is the use of such education which does not bring about transformation among children? Neither are the children benefited nor are they able to render any help to their parents. Modern man develops ego on account of his educational achievements. Humility is the hallmark of true education. If a man lacks viveka (discrimination) and vinaya (humility), all his education is of no value. You should understand that your education is meant for the welfare and progress of society. But, in what way is society benefited by educated people? Students should strive to earn a good name in society. Today’s education is making the students materialistic. It does not prepare the students to turn inward to listen to their inner voice. One should acquire Atma Prabodha (Atmic knowledge). That is true education.

Mere accumulation of degrees drives us to money and materialism

Students should strive to earn a good name in society. Today’s education is making the students materialistic. It does not prepare the students to turn inward to listen to their inner voice.One should acquire Atma Prabodha (Atmic knowledge). That is true education. Without awareness of the Self, all other knowledge is useless. Why should one pursue such education? People are interested in exercising their influence and power; they are not making efforts to cleanse their mind and heart.This is the result of modern education. People have learnt to talk sweetly, but they do not translate their words into action. True Education Should Purify the Heart

Mere learning by rote the contents of books is not important. You should imbibe the gandha (essence) of all granthas (texts). That is true education. People read a number of books, but what is the use? They merely quote what others have said. Is this what you one is supposed to learn? You should listen to the prompting or utterance of your inner voice and share it with others. But, scarcely anybody thinks on these lines today.

There are three important principles in every human being – Manas (Mind), Buddhi (Intellect) and Atma (Self). What is the nature of Self? It is all-pervasive. True education is that which originates from the heart. The reference in this context is to the spiritual heart and not the physical heart.

When you understand the principle of love and develop love to love relationship,all will become one. The Veda says,“Sahasra Seersha Purushah ...†It meansthat all heads, all eyes, all feet are His.

There are many noble souls who are setting ideals to society by translating their knowledge into action. If you do not act in a principled manner, all your education becomes useless. It is what you practise that matters, not what you speak. Wherever you may go, your behaviour should be exemplary. That is what pleases Me.True education is that which originates from the heart. Heart is very important for human existence. When a child is born, the first thing that people observe is the heart beat. You should rely more on your spiritual heart than on the physical heart. Conscience is another name for spiritual heart. Keep your heart pure. That should be your main endeavour. Whatever is done with love and purity of heart will confer bliss on you. First of all one should understand the principle of

unity. Unity leads to purity and purity leads to divinity. A true human being is one who strives for unity, purity and divinity. Otherwise, he is no better than birds and animals. First, purify your senses and develop unity. Consider all as your brothers and sisters and live in harmony.

Love in Practice is Real Education When all the tanks and lakes are dried to a trickle, you can imagine the joy that a continuous downpour brings with it. Similarly, serve those who are in desperate need of your help. Give them happiness. You can attain divinity only through service. Human life is most precious. But, man is behaving like an animal and thus wasting his life.

You can certainly acquire secular knowledge. But you should not rest contented with that. You should turn inward and acquire spiritual knowledge as well. Only then can you attain peace. So many have assembled here (in Prasanthi Nilayam). Everyone’s attention is focused on Swami. In the same manner, let your mind be focused on divinity always. Contemplate on God. Serve your fellowmen. If a person who has been starving for ten days is served a sumptuous feast, you can well imagine the joy he experiences.When all the tanks and lakes are dried to a trickle, you can imagine the joy that a continuous downpour brings with it. Similarly, serve those who are in desperate need of your help. Give them happiness. You can attain divinity only through service. Human life is most precious. But, man is behaving like an animal and thus wasting his life.

First of all, develop love. When you have love in you, everyone will become your friend. If your heart is not suffused with love, your life will become artificial. Life is meaningless without love. If everyone shares his love with his neighbour, there will be no room for hatred at all. Share your love with everyone and live like brothers and sisters. Today we find conflicts and differences even among brothers and sisters, because they lack proper understanding. People do not understand the true meaning of love. Their love is tainted with physical and worldly feelings. When you understand the principle of love and develop love to love relationship, all will become one.The Veda says, “Sahasra Seersha Purushah ...†It means that all heads, all eyes, all feet are His. Once you understand the principle of oneness that is present in all, you can live in tune with the

true spirit of brotherhood. - Divine Discourse on August 17, 2005 on the occasion ofthe International Conference of Eminent Educationists.

DEVOTEE EXPERIENCE - I visit Baba's temple on Thursdays and read Sai

i

-----------------

DEVOTEE EXPERIENCE - I visit Baba's temple on Thursdays and read Sai Satcharitra and my life revolves round Sai Baba - By Usha Vishwam, New Delhi

Sai Ram To All Devotees/Sai Groups Members

In the year 2002 I suddenly fell very ill. I was a high B.P. patient for ten years and was taking treatment and was careful with diet and was active. I was under stress as I was handling a lot of activities and domestic chores at the same time. One day I was bedridden with high B.P. and high blood sugar and heart trouble. Being a doctor myself I could make out I was very ill. My physician put me on medication and bed rest and special diet.

Somehow I was not hospitalized inspite of being breathless even when I was on bed rest. My close relatives left to attend a marriage; my husband was busy with his office work; my daughter-in-law and my daughter were young and inexperienced to do much. Still they did whatever they could to make me comfortable.

I thought I was going to die and prayed to Sai Baba that I wanted to live and see grandchildren and get my daughter married. She was going abroad and my husband and I were to accompany her a fortnight later and there was I bedridden. My son too had joined a company and was too busy to see me often. I was depressed and worried.

At such a time, miraculously I was taken care of by a good cardiologist and put on the correct medication and my condition stabilized though I was still uncomfortable. My daughter-in-law saw that I got the right diet like boiled vegetables etc. and took care of me. My daughter managed to get things for her trip abroad although she was worried about me.

A few days before my trip with her I did not want to travel abroad as I had a syncopal attack when I was shopping. I was taken home and my cardiologist advised on phone what to do. I asked my husband to cancel my ticket and he could go abroad with my daughter and help get her settled there for her studies and return. However, he insisted that I accompany them and I went.

When I look back I think that only Shri Shirdi Sai gave me the courage and the strength to manage the flight and also the time I spent there before returning to India. Following that I had no choice but to attend the marriage of my niece in a small city far away. The train journey and the travel by car were uncomfortable for a sick person. But I survived and returned home safely.

After that I slowly recovered. During this time I had taken a new job in an NGO, which I resumed. I also joined a course in reflexology and I did my third degree in reiki course. All this kept my mind busy and helped me forget my general weakness etc. The amazing thing in all this is that though I was ill, I had tremendous faith in Shirdi Sai Baba and he helped me every moment, every day.

Just before this illness a very dear friend gave me a statue of Saibaba from Shirdi. Then I got a statue after that from my brother-in-law after I was better. I also had a statue I had got earlier. It was as if Shirdi Sai Baba was protecting me during this time span between getting the two statues. It took a long time before I got stronger but the dangerous time was over. I visit Baba's temple on Thursdays and read Sai Satcharitra and my life revolves round Sai Baba.

I still have to get my daughter married to a suitable boy who will look after her and she will look after him. I have a wonderful 3 and 1/2year old grandson and who calls me Dadimaa so lovingly. My daughter-in-law is expecting her second baby in January. There is improvement in family relationships and everyone is loving and kind. I have some financial and property problems which I am sure Sai Baba will solve for me. He is my God, friend, parent, doctor, everything rolled in one. Om Sairam Kripa. Thanks dear Sai Baba for everything.

Om Sai Ram

Usha Vishwam

New Delhi --------------------------

CONVERSATIONS WITH SAI Satyopanishad - part 17: Direct Directions from the Divine

In response to your positive feedback to this section where we have a conversation with the Divine, we continue with Prof. Anil Kumar’s ‘Satyopanishad’ following Dr. John Hislop’s series ‘Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba’ that ended in January 2008. This series is also in the question-answer format that many devotees prefer, and has answers from Bhagavan on topics as wide ranging as the origin of evil, the goals of human life, and aspects of God – embodied and formless, to price hikes, women’s liberation, vegetarianism, and the generation gap among people of the present times. Published in two parts by the author, these volumes have 270 questions in all, which are neatly grouped under separate chapters. In this issue, we continue the fifth chapter: 'Concepts' Chapter 5: Concepts(Continued from the previous issue)

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! One cannot escape from the effects of fate or destiny. Things are preordained, and accordingly events happen in our life. This being inevitable, we suffer and face difficulties. Would you please tell us the way out of this?Bhagavan: Everything in life is nothing but a reflection of your own thought and deed of your earlier life or lives. You pretend happily to think that none can notice you. But God within you knows fully well all your thoughts, feelings and deeds. God is everywhere. You cannot hide anything from Him. One day or other you must face the consequences of your actions. This is the supreme truth.

You think and blame someone else, holding him responsible for your troubles. You are thoroughly mistaken here.

Your actions are responsible for both the good and the bad you experience in this life. God is an eternal witness of all human activities. He created this world and gave it to man for his enjoyment, but on one condition that he must face the consequences of his own actions. God is like a postman. He is least bothered about the contents of the letters that He hands over to people. It is all a matter of the relationship that exists between you and the one who writes you a letter. God is not concerned in any other way about the matter. Well, you receive a wedding card, you don't pay complements to the postman, do you? If you receive a threatening letter from someone, you don't blame the postman either. The postman is merely an instrument in the process of delivering letters. But prayer does help you to withstand tensions and problems with courage. Intense prayer, deep devotion, strong faith, sincere repentance, constant yearning and supreme love for God can alter the sequence of events in life. They can make even God reverse His own will. Take for example, the life of Markandeya. Fate granted him only sixteen years of life. But his devotion to Lord Siva was so intense that He made him immortal. God had to review and revise His own master plan in response to the prayers of Markandeya.Take another example. There is a prisoner punished according to the laws of the penal code. During the period of imprisonment, if the character and conduct of the prisoner are found to be good and if he follows all the rules, regulations, and code of discipline imposed by the jail authorities, there is scope for the reduction of his jail term. There is another point you should note. Suppose the appeal of a person in a criminal case is lost in all the courts from the district level to the High Court and even the Supreme Court, and when punishment like a death sentence or life imprisonment becomes imminent and inevitable, the President of

India can still order his release from jail on grounds of mercy and for special reasons. Similarly, though you are bound to suffer and destined to face difficulties as a result of your past actions, God in response to your sincere prayer and repentance will change the course of your life and save you from your suffering. God confers special grace on you being pleased with your single-minded devotion to Him. Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! The Bhagavad Gita wants us to give up the fruits of our actions, karmaphalaparityaga, both good and bad. Since we do good rarely, there is very little or none to offer you as the fruits of our good actions. We feel that it is not proper to offer evil or bad to You. What is to be done?Bhagavan: You have to surrender both good and bad to God. Never get yourself attached to the results of your actions, be they good or bad. God is beyond these two opposites as He is non-dual. Any water, pure or impure, when mixed with Ganga, you will notice, does not affect the sanctity of Ganga. The sanctity never diminishes. Similarly, whatever you put into the fire gets burnt. The fire is in no way affected or polluted by those things that are put into it. Hence, if you offer both good and bad to God, ultimately you

will be benefited.

A small example: Suppose you have a five hundred rupee currency note in your pocket, and you need to go out on some business and return later. You will be very careful to see that you do not lose it. You keep your hand on the pocket if you go to a cafeteria for a cup of coffee so that no one will pick your pocket. Even in a theatre, you will be vigilant. But on the other hand, if you deposit that money in the bank, it will be credited to your account and it will be safe. Then, you don't need to bother about it further. So also, if you surrender all the good you have done to God without attaching any value to the results, what happens is that you will be humble and simple. Here you do not take the credit. You thank God. You are full of thankfulness and gratitude to God. But if you own and claim the results of all your good and meritorious deeds, you will feel that

you are the doer, so much so, you will become proud and egoistic. Hence, you should surrender the reward of your good actions to God.Then, how about the evil or bad to be offered to God? You may feel that it is not proper to do so. Yet, you will notice that it will help you finally. Here’s a small example for you in this matter. Suppose you have with you a spoiled, dirty and half torn five hundred rupee note. You don't throw it away as it is a valuable currency note. But you have not been able to use it; no one will accept that note. You are not in a position to buy anything. So, you can neither throw it away nor use it. But, if you deposit the very same currency note in the Reserve Bank, they accept it and give you a brand new note. One thing is very necessary. The number on the currency note should be very clear for them to accept and give you a good

note.Similarly, the currency note of your deeds and consequences of your bad action, if offered to God, He will see the 'number' of 'devotion' on the note and give you in turn the good note or transform you. God is the Reserve Bank. Only God can receive your evil tendencies and misdeeds and transform them into good ones and give them back to you. Hence, both good and bad must be offered to God for your own ultimate benefit.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! All the experiences, which are dual, are obtained due to our mind. Swami says 'Mind is a mad monkey.' Pleasure and pain are both due to our mind. How are we to annihilate the mind (manonasanam)?Bhagavan: The mind never makes you suffer; it all depends upon the way you use it. It is everywhere. It takes the form of that into which it gets. It is deathless. So, it is said that the mind is the world, manomulamidam jagat. Therefore, annihilation of the mind,

manonasanam is not correct. What you should desire is the merger of the mind with the divine, manolaya.Just as the river merges in the mighty ocean, the mind should also merge in the Self. The mind surrendered to God becomes Ramadas, servant of Rama. But the mind full of desires is a slave to the organs, kamadas.The mind should not be allowed to be lured by what we call in Telugu balimi, strength, kalimi, wealth and chelimi, friendship. It should be filled with divine thoughts so that it may become one with God. Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Are there any who attained tadatmya (union) with God? We hear that total identification with God is the highest step in spirituality.Bhagavan: Yes. There are many who experienced that state of total identification with God. In fact, a devotee should aim at it. There was a Westerner by name, Hen, who was very intelligent. The famous scientist, Darwin, was his guru. He started seeing his guru by contemplating on him continuously. Darwin concentrated his vision on a star and experienced certain vibrations. His student also reached that state.You also must have heard of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. At one time, while worshipping Lord Sri Rama, he considered himself Hanuman. It is reported that he developed a short tail during that

time.

You also find another illustration in the great epic Ramayana. Bharata wanted Rama to come back to Ayodhya and rule the kingdom. He pleaded with him repeatedly. But, Rama refused to return, since he had decided and vowed to follow the command of his father and follow dharma in totality. Bharata left the palace, after Rama promised that he would return immediately after the period of exile.

The period was almost over and Bharata was expecting Rama to return at the appointed hour. Unable to bear the anguish at seeing no sign of Rama's arrival, Bharata got ready a funeral pyre and was prepared to jump into it, ready for self-immolation. In the meantime, Rama had sent Hanuman in advance with a message to Bharata in order to avert this situation and to inform Bharata of his arrival as he had promised before. Hanuman immediately dashed off to Nandigrama where Bharata was staying.As Hanuman was just landing, he noticed the scene there. Bharata was circumambulating the pyre into which he was about to jump and burn himself. Hanuman thought, “How is it that Rama is here? Why is Rama circumambulating the pyre?" Evidently, it means that Bharata looked exactly like Rama due to his constant meditation on him. This left even Hanuman confused. This is the meaning of what the

Veda says, Brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati - ‘Constant awareness of Brahman makes you Brahman’.Towards the end of the Ramayana, after he had killed Ravana, Rama was returning to Ayodhya along with his consort Sita and Lakshmana in a chariot. Bharata himself was driving the chariot. As the chariot was approaching the outskirts of Ayodhya, the inhabitants were eager to receive Rama, Sita and Lakshmana with garlands. Here again, the people were confused since Bharata, holding the reins of the chariot, looked exactly like Rama. When the people were about to garland Bharata mistaking him for Lord Rama, Bharata had to silently and softly point out to Rama with his folded hands as to who should be garlanded. This is again an instance of total identification, tadatmya.

Here is another example. You must have heard of Swami Samartha Ramadas, the preceptor of emperor Sivaji. Like Bharata, Swami Samartha Ramadas also looked for some time exactly like Lord Rama in his form as well as in his manner of walking with the bow and arrow on his shoulders.People, watching this, were amazed, and one of them asked him, “Swami! If you are really Lord Rama, can you shoot the bird sitting over there on a branch located on the top of that distant tree?" Ramadas killed the bird with an arrow. It fell on the ground. Someone said then, “Swami! You have killed the bird for no reason. It did no harm to you. Rama, known for compassion, never kills anyone without a valid reason. Can you revive it now?" Then, the Swami collected the dead bird with both his hands and lifted it. He prayed for its life. Lo and behold! The wings started to flutter.

The bird moved slowly and finally flew away. All present there joined in a chorus shouting in praise of the Swami, “Jai! Samartha Ramadas Ki Jai," (Our praises to Swami Samartha Ramadas!) This is an instance of total identification with God.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! You are referring to anubhava gyanam, practical knowledge. We think we know many things. Is this not wisdom?

Bhagavan: Certainly not! The pity is that you do not realise that you do not know. You know very little and what you know is at best negligible. But you think you know everything. What you study is very little and it is a big mistake if you think that you know everything. It is foolish too. There is a lot to be known. What you know is but a fragment, and it is not total knowledge. Now, look! What is this? This, as you see, is a handkerchief. (At this point, Swami kept the handkerchief in his grip and held it in such a way that only a bit could be seen outside his fist.) Now, what is this? This is only a piece of cloth. It is not the whole kerchief. (Then Swami spread the kerchief and held it in His hands). Now, what is this? You will say, ‘It is a kerchief'. Seeing only a bit, you cannot call it a handkerchief. So also, acquiring a little knowledge, you can hardly claim to have attained total knowledge. This is a mistake the educated commit in this modern age. They know a little and claim to know everything. Complete or total knowledge is awareness, and not knowledge of a bit or a fragment. This you should remember. Go for the whole. Be aware! Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! When does a devotee get total experience?Bhagavan: Bhakti finds its fulfilment in mukti. Till then, we can't say that a devotee has got total experience. Total experience is purna anubhavam, advaitanandam, a state of nondual bliss, brahmanandam, supreme bliss, and nityanandam, eternal bliss. A simple example: A river flows incessantly. There may be a number of obstacles in its way. Yet, the river flows on taking different turns. It overcomes the obstacles and proceeds forward. How long and how far? It must reach the ocean and merge in it. The ocean does not permit the merger so easily. It drives away the river or pushes it out. Still the river does not give up its attempt. Finally, as the

ocean tides rise, the river merges. When layam, sayujyam, merger of the two takes place, there the river finds vis'ranti and pras'anti, rest and peace.Similar is the relationship between a devotee and God. The flow of devotion leading to merging in God is sadhana. The river merging in the ocean is the merger of the individual jiva with brahman, which is known as jiva brahmaikyata; a state of perfect merging or unison of jivatma and paramatma or the individual and the Ultimate Lord.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! What is wisdom?Bhagavan: Wisdom is not textual information. Wisdom is not scholarship. Wisdom is not preaching. Wisdom is not verbal or vocal. Wisdom is not an academic Master's degree or Doctorate. Wisdom is practical experience. Wisdom cannot be stuffed into the

head. Wisdom is what enables you to identify your own mistakes, faults, and defects, and correct them and finally lead you towards not repeating any errors of the past. Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! In the big human body, where is the source of life located?Bhagavan: You think it is the heart. No. Don't you know that today surgeons can do heart transplantations too? Even while it is done, the patient doesn't die. Then, where is the life principle that keeps you living? In the spinal column between the 9th and 12th vertebrae, there is the life principle that acts as the main switch.In the mantrapuspam (vedic hymn) it is clearly indicated: vidyullekheva bhasvara, a lightning or electric current acts as the life centre.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! What are the main principles of life?Bhagavan: A newborn baby cries, but a grownup man should part from this world smiling. Do you know why the baby cries? It cries because of the misfortune that lies ahead of it - a long, troublesome and problematic life. In the words of Adi Sankara, punarapi jananam punarapi maranam, punarapi janani jathare s'ayanam. Everyone is born again and again, life after life. So, the infant cries. But at its birth, its parents, its relatives and elders celebrate, smile and distribute sweets, don't they? Life begins with a question, ‘Koham’, (who am I?) But, it should find an answer ‘Soham’, (I am He, I am God), before it ends. We get the answer, through sadhana,

spiritual practice or exercise. There is no point in going through the question paper again and again without finding the answer.We can in one way divide life into three phases: morning, midday and night. Morning is the stage of an infant, the four-legged one crawling on the ground on both hands and both legs. Midday is the stage of a youth, the two-legged, walking with two legs. Night is the stage of an old man, the three legged with a walking stick as an aid to the two weakened legs.Brahmacarya, celibacy is the foundation over which a three storied building, with the first floor, the stage of a householder; the second floor that of a recluse; and the top floor that of a renunciant is built. Thus, for the mansion, celibacy is the foundation.

By the time a person becomes fifty years old, he should have full control over his five organs of action, karmendriyas.

By the time he is sixty he should have conquered all the six weaknesses, kama, desire, krodha, anger, lobha, greed, moha, infatuation mada, pride, and matsarya, jealousy.At the age of seventy, after overcoming the weaknesses, he is revered as one of the seven sages, saptaris; like the seven notes of music, saptasvaras; and the seven seas, saptasamudra. At the age of eighty, having followed the eight paths of astanga yoga, he shines like the eight lords of the directions as tadikpalakas. At the age of ninety, life shines like nine precious gems, navaratnas having followed the nine paths of devotion.

At the age of hundred, he is master of the five organs of perception, and the five organs of action, and is divine having experienced divinity in depth, brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati.You should also know another point. Whatever you do, it is for your own satisfaction and not for other people. You put on new clothes; for whom do you wear them? It is for your satisfaction that you wear a new dress. You construct a new house; for whom? It is for you only, isn't it? You eat an apple not for the benefit of the apple; it is for your own satisfaction.Understand that SelfisGod. You have to play well your role in the drama of your life. Swami is Sutradhari, the director, while you are the actor, patradhari. Consider this an opportunity. Lead your life in an ideal way and get a good name in society. God should say that you are good. This is

what is said in the Gita, manman a bhava madbhakto madyaji mam namaskuru - “Don't pray for the fulfillment of desires. Pray to be with Him and Him alone.†Then, everything else will be added unto you. Be always humble and respectful.

In South India, food is served on plantain leaves. When all the items are served, the leaf on account of its weight, remains without being blown off by the wind; when it is empty, it is blown off because of its lightness. In other words, empty vessels make much noise. A tree loaded with fruits is always bent because of the weight of the fruits. Similarly, a true scholar is humble and modest. A cloudlike mass of air goes up higher and higher, while a cloud of vapour comes down. A person with ego ruins himself.There are four main principles you should know and follow in life. The first principle is tyaja durjana samsargam - run away from bad company. The second principle is bhaja sadhu samagamam - be always in good company. If necessary, you better lose or pay money if you must in order to avoid bad company. You should never be separated from good,

pious and noble people.The third principle is smara nityamanityatam - bear in mind always what is impermanent or transitory. In other words, distinguish that which is divine from the one that is temporal. You are gifted with intellect for discrimination and judgment. Discriminate between what is transient, perishable and dual and what is eternal, immortal and non-dual.The fourth principle is kuru punya mahoratram - do meritorious deeds day and night. The body is meant for serving others. Paropakararthamidamsariram. END OF CHAPTER 5(To be continued...) -----------------------

THE INSCRUTABLE WILL OF THE COSMIC BEIng Part 1

A conversation with Mr. V. Srinivasan Mr. V. Srinivasan is an electrical engineer and an eminent industrialist. He is a former National President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), and also a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (USA). Currently, he is the All India President of the Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations, as well as a Member of the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust and Sri Sathya Sai Medical Trust. The following is an excerpt of a conversation between Mr. V. Srinivasan and Prof. G. Venkataraman, former Vice Chancellor of Sri Sathya Sai University, held in the Radio Sai studio in 2002.

G. Venkataraman (GV): Sairam and thank you so much for sparing some of your valuable time. I know you are really very busy. But, you have so much to share with all of us, the very large number of Radio Sai listeners. One of the things that devotees usually like to hear is how did different people come to Swami. And in your case you have been with Swami for nearly four decades, am I right?

V. Srinivasan (VS): That is true. GV: So, how did you come to Swami? Can you share with us the experience? VS: I am a firm believer in the principle of cosmic timing. I believe that each one of us has a preordained moment for coming to Bhagavan, a moment willed and stipulated in the Divine Timetable, unknown to ourselves. In my case, the ‘moment’ came three decades ago, when a family member persuaded me to come and meet Bhagavan. And I was fortunate to see Swami in Madras (now Chennai) when He came there in 1970.

The First Enigmatic Encounter

Mr. V. Srinivasan

I met Swami at the house of the late Mr. Tarapore, a great devotee of Bhagavan. I was audacious enough to ask Swami a few pointed questions, but Swami patiently replied to all my queries.

And that, somehow, struck a chord in my heart, and marked the beginning of my journey to Him. In fact, within the next month, I came to Puttaparthi and there has been no turning back ever since. The initial years with Swami were more of a ‘growing up’ experience. As happens with most of us, I came to Swami with a lot of ‘baggage’ - preconceived notions on what He is, what we are and how we should behave. But, over the years, under Swami’s merciful care and nurturing, I learnt that there was more to life than what was obvious. Slowly and steadily, the magnificence of Bhagavan’s mission began to unfold before my eyes. Baba Enlightens about the Soul of the Business GV: Would you say that being with Swami also affected your work style? VS: Definitely. To start with, Swami’s teachings had a tremendous impact on my work style. I had been in business for quite some time, and as you know, business is a domain where functioning with a scrupulous sense of values is not regarded as good business sense. However, at no point of time did Bhagavan ask me to give up my business.

Corporate governance invalidates today the long-prevailing conception, or rather misconception, that values and successful business do not go together. But the fact is Bhagavan gave ‘horse sense’ to the current codes of business well before they became accepted theories of conduct in business schools.

Instead, He always said, “Work is Worship. Duty is God.†Gradually, I have stepped back as Bhagavan made it possible for me to do so. Being with Bhagavan, I gained a sense of values. I felt that I was not a part of the ‘rat race’. I learnt, to some extent, the virtue of contentment. I realised that whatever happens is for the good.

Corporate governance invalidates today the long-prevailing conception, or rather misconception, that values and successful business do not go together. But the fact is Bhagavan gave ‘horse sense’ to the current codes of business well before they became accepted theories of conduct in business schools.

Way back in the 1980’s itself, Bhagavan gave a talk to leading industrialists in Chennai, on how businessmen should conduct themselves and the perils of business without ethics. It was one of those invaluable lessons on management. Bhagavan stressed, as He does even today, the importance of a good leader, as the core principle of management.

Bhagavan further defined a good leader as one who ‘leads by example’ rather than giving long talks or trying to make others do what he wants.

All this gave me a firm belief that whatever Bhagavan has been enunciating was so relevant to every aspect of life as it exists in the world today, and as it will exist in the future. I realized that Bhagavan’s teachings were optimal solutions for the conduct of government and the interpersonal relationship between individuals and races, and applied all the way from a single individual to the whole of humanity.

The Ecstasy of Lodging with the Lord in Kodai Kanal GV: Now, slightly changing the subject. You have been with Swami to Kodai Kanal many times over the years. Can you share with us some wonderful glimpses for the benefit of people who have never been to Kodai Kanal but have heard a lot about it?

VS: Yes; if Bhagavan is a preceptor and a visionary, He is a wonderful companion as well. We had some unforgettable moments with this endearing aspect of Bhagavan whenever we were privileged to spend time with Him at Kodai Kanal.

The first trip with Swami to Kodai Kanal happened in 1981. And if there was something which one could be certain about Bhagavan, it was His unpredictability.

That year, Swami was in Ootacamund (Ooty) and I had gone with Him. My family, meanwhile, had gone to our little house in Kodai Kanal, a house which was about 100 years old, not very ornate, and with limited accommodation. So I called up my family in Kodai Kanal, telling them, “Look, Swami is in Ooty and I don’t think that He will come to Kodai Kanal. It is better that you wind up and come over here to Ooty.†Heeding my words, my family members set off from Kodai Kanal.

Suddenly, that evening, Bhagavan said, “We will go tomorrow to Kodai Kanal.â€

The Lord outside in the cool summer breeze of "Sai Shruti", His residence in Kodai Kanal

You can well imagine my plight. In those days, one didn’t have all these kind of elaborate STD (phones), let alone mobiles. We had to go through the old fashioned ‘trunk’ system and book a call. It was quite an exercise to get through on the telephone. But I finally managed to call my wife to tell her, “Swami is coming tomorrowâ€. She was incredulous. But that was Swami, springing surprises when one least expects them. The next day, we started off. It took about 8 hours to travel from Ootacamund to Kodai Kanal – driving down to Coimbatore, getting across the plains and the steep climb to the Palani Hills. We were a small group of people – Dr. Bhagavantam, Col. Joga Rao, C. Srinivas, and one other person, with Bhagavan. I must emphasize that the house was really an antediluvian specimen with old bedrooms and bathrooms.

But Swami spent ten days with us there with us, just like a family member! In the entire duration of His stay, a tiny gathering of barely 50 people would assemble for bhajans in the evening, which used to take place on the lawn outside. There was no bhajan hall or anything like that. But it was wonderful because Swami’s chair was placed against the Sun and during dusk it was a great sight. When the Sun, which was fiery red, was setting, it used to form an orb around Bhagavan’s hair such that it seemed the beautiful glow radiated actually from His hair. Those darshans of Bhagavan have remained etched in my memory.

Bhagavan would remark in those days, that a time would arrive when we will recognize Him from afar by His robe and His hair. And, verily, we can see that happening before us already.

Bhagavan would remark in those days, that a time would arrive when we will recognize Him from afar by His robe and His hair. And, verily, we can see that happening before us already.

Some of my cherished memories of the early Kodai trips were the bhajans we used to have by the fireplace.

GV: (chuckles)…You had a fireplace? VS: Yes, we had a fireplace because it was an old house, so we had a wood log fire. Swami used to love to sit near this and at that time, the bhajan singers were just the family members, and we were not all that good. And the doors in the house would also squeak at that time. In fact, Swami would mischievously remark, “Not only the people, or the family of Srinivasan sing, even the doors here sing!†That was Swami’s sense of humour.

Kodai Kanal today is a mini-Prashanthi Nilayam visited by unceasing throngs of devotees whenever Swami comes to reside at Sai Shruthi. It is indeed difficult to imagine now the sort of priceless, intimate moments we had with the Avatar, more than three decades ago. Bhagavan Commands…And the Lame Walk!

With Swami in the 1980s

GV: Now, talking of experiences you must share with us one or two more from your life.

VS: It was His supreme Love that drew us to Him, just as it attracts millions of people even today, like a Cosmic Magnet. One such glimpse of the Divine Love, I witnessed with my own eyes.

This happened in Prashanti Nilayam many years ago, in the ‘arch’ days (before the construction of the Sai Kulwant Hall). Bhagavan was walking amongst the people He has chosen for interview, and He came across a lady who was sitting with a fairly grown up child, about 10 years of age. This lady was sobbing inconsolably, for it turned out that the child was not able to walk.

I was standing a little distance away from Bhagavan. And He selected this lady to proceed for interview. But the lady just couldn’t get up along with her child, who did seem quite well-built.

As the lady struggled to get up, I thought I would rush forward to help; I was then very new into the Sai fold and was unaware of Swami’s ways. Even as I moved towards her, Swami firmly asked me to “get back!†Shocked, I moved away. Swami then turned to this child and said, “Walk!†Lo and behold! The child ‘walked’, commanded by the Lord, to the interview room. God alone knows, after how many years! The whole gathering burst into a loud applause, even as tears came from my eyes.

Offering aarthi to their sweet Lord

This is an experience which stands vividly even today in front of my eyes, an experience that I always value.

This incident also revealed to me that Bhagavan can do anything, at any point of time, simply by His Sankalpa (Will). It is just that sometimes, He chooses not to do it instantly because He knows that the ‘right’ time or the appropriate time, is yet to arrive. In this instance, Bhagavan did not wait for the regular interview. He did not even wait to materialize vibhuti, which He often does, to cure maladies on several occasions. He simply commanded the child, who implicitly obeyed!

It was indeed a very moving experience that taught me that Bhagavan chooses His own timetable, and everything is contained in the Divya Sankalpa (Divine Will), the Sai Sankalpa.

-----------------------

A TRIBUTE TO COLONEL JOGA RAO

“All of you know him as Colonel Joga Rao, but I know him as Karma Yogi Joga Rao!â€

These were the words with which Swami decorated Col. Joga Rao after presenting him ceremonial kankanams (gold bracelets) and a silver salver, in front of the vast concourse of devotees assembled in the Hill View stadium to celebrate Bhagavan’s 65th Birthday celebrations.

Some people live with such courage, verve and an endearing joy of life that it is an inspiration to all around them. Colonel S.P. Joga Rao was one such person. His high-spirited personality and openhanded nature endeared him to everyone. His brilliance, commitment and integrity at work earned him plaudits from the mighty and the scholarly.

An eminent and vastly experienced engineer, Sri Joga Rao, will best be remembered for his yeoman contribution to the development of the Prashanti Nilayam and Brindavan ashram campuses and his close involvement in several of Bhagavan’s service projects.

He was instrumental in the establishment of the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust, a charitable trust under the guidance of Bhagavan, which has executed several mammoth welfare projects.

How Col. Joga Rao Came to Swami

S P Joga Rao enjoyed a successful tenure as Chief Engineer of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), where he was responsible for much of its construction and commissioning. He also served in the armed forces where he rose to the rank of Colonel, and had been posted at many places all over India. Later he started a Civil Engineering and Consultancy Company along with a host of experts drawn from various fields of engineering, construction and management which was quite a successful venture.

But, all this was just a training ground for the stupendous tasks he was to accomplish under the guidance of the ‘Architect of the Universe’. Destiny was to crown his life with a long and sweet association with the Lord come in human form.

The divine call came in 1969. One day, Bhagavan visited the house of Sri Ramaswamy, a neighbour of Col. Joga Rao who was closely associated with service activities in Brindavan, Bhagavan’s ashram at Whitefield, Bangalore. Joga Rao, though a devotee of Lord Krishna from his childhood, had his reservations about men in ochre robes.

So, although his wife and he received an invitation to Sri Ramaswamy’s house to have Darshan of Bhagavan he was reluctant to go. He had already been annoyed when a few days prior to this, he found a photo of Bhagavan Baba in the altar of his house, which his wife had received from Smt. Ramaswamy. But, his wife persisted and so he went there.

Bhagavan spoke very lovingly to him and invited him to Brindavan. Baba's gentle and warm demeanour touched Joga Rao's heart and he was drawn to Brindavan soon after that. The devotional ambience of the ashram and the discipline there had a profound impact on him. Bhagavan received him very affectionately. During the conversation, He casually mentioned to Joga Rao to associate himself with the construction work of the college building at Anantapur. The passionate engineering professional in Joga Rao responded positively and that marked the beginning of a new chapter in his life.

An Intimate Relationship…

In the Nava Vida Bhakti (Nine stages of devotion) outlined in the ‘Narada Bhakti Sutra’, the stage of Sakhya Bhakti is the penultimate stage before the final merger of the individual self with the Absolute. In this stage, the devotee experiences the relationship of an intimate friend with the Lord, sporting with Him and losing oneself in the bond of love with the Lord. Sri B N Narasimha Murty in Sathyam Shivam Sundaram V says, Col. Joga Rao was privileged, to enjoy such a relationship with Swami.

Recalling this unique relationship Sri Joga Rao had with Swami, Sri V. Srinivasan, President, Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organizations, India, recalls,

“Col. Joga Rao would intercede, to the extent that it was possible to do so, on behalf of many devotees with Bhagavan, which sometimes earned him reprimands from the Lord. He took them with a smile and would say to Bhagavan that He should extend his mercy to these people who were pining for His Grace. Bhagavan was also tolerant because He knew that Joga Rao was not asking anything for himself but only for others.â€

He was a man with a fondness for eating and more prominently, for feeding others. Dr. Voleti Choudhary, a cardiac surgeon in Swami’s hospital, in an interview with Swami was witness to the Swami-Joga Rao relationship and this is what he narrates,

“In our later interview, Swami’s attention slowly shifted to playfully teasing the colonel, especially about his eating habits. Joga Rao mildly protested that he eats so much only because Bhagavan feeds him so much. I was very fascinated by the dynamics between Bhagavan and Joga Rao. Though he was 85 years old, Joga Rao responded to Bhagavan like a child being overwhelmed by the attention he gets from his loving parents .â€

“Joga Rao, They Are Not Coming!â€

Sri Joga Rao was quite often at the receiving end of many of Bhagavan’s “practical jokesâ€. Sri B N Narasimha Murthy, currently the Warden of the Brindavan hostel, and who has been associated with Swami for more than four decades recalls an amusing incident,

“When the document of the Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust was to be registered at Hyderabad in 1972, Bhagavan asked Joga Rao to coordinate all the related work apart from organising His visit to the city. It was obligatory that the members of the Trust be present at the time of registration. Therefore Joga Rao called up the Rajamata of Nawanagar who was at Bombay, to come to Hyderabad along with Sri Nani Palkhiwala and Sri Indulal Shah. The Rajamata conveyed to Joga Rao the same evening by telephone that she would be coming to Hyderabad with Sri Indulal Shah. She also informed him that Palkhiwala who had gone out of station would not be able to make it to Hyderabad. Since Bhagavan had had already retired by that time, Joga Rao could not convey the message to Him.

When Joga Rao went to the post office next morning along with Sri Prasada Rao, then the State President of Sri Sathya Sai Organisations of Andhra Pradesh, he found a telegram sent by the Rajamata to Bhagavan confirming her arrival. When they met Swami and handed over the telegram to Him, He read it and said, “Joga Rao, they are not coming!†Puzzled and bewildered, Joga Rao read the telegram again and again. According to the telegram, what Baba had said was right! Joga Rao showed the telegram to Prasada Rao; they looked at each other in wonder and stood speechless. But during their lunch with Swami, He laughed and gave them the telegram again. It bore the same words they had read at the post office!â€

That was Baba's way of playing a joke on them! Yes, of course, the Rajamata arrived at Hyderabad with Indulal Shah on time and the registration of the Trust was completed.

Selfless Service – Joga Rao’s Passport to Swami

Col. Joga Rao once said to Swami, “I do not know how to do meditation or sing bhajans or do penance, but I can only do selfless service.â€

Swami promptly told him, “That is why you are so dear to me; whereas everyone chants 'Sai Ram' 'Sai Ram' , I call 'Joga Rao', 'Joga Rao' so often.â€

It was this selfless service and uncompromising zeal for excellence in work that earned him the confidence of Bhagavan. With Swami’s guidance, he set about improving the amenities for devotees in Prashanti Nilayam and Brindavan. He plunged with enthusiasm into the task of planning and constructing the campuses of the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning at Prashanti Nilayam, Anantapur and Whitefield.

At the age of 85, when most people would rather spend their time in quietude reminiscing about the sunny days they had spent, Joga Rao dedicated himself to fulfilling the declaration Bhagavan made on the eve of His 70th birthday in His discourse on the 22nd November 1990, that in a year’s time a massive hospital would be constructed near Prasanthi Nilayam, that would bring top notch medical care to the poorest of the poor.

Courage, Capability, Efficiency and Joga Rao

Dr. Safaya, Director of the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences since its inception, recalls:

“I remember when in April 1991, he showed me the stretch of land, which the Trust had acquired for building the hospital and its campus, I felt utterly frustrated because before me was a completely desolate, uneven and even a bit hilly, semi-arid land of nearly100 acres. To clear this area and to flatten it would take several years! We had very little time and Bhagavan had declared that the Hospital would be built and be functional by 22 nd November, 1991. I had a strong urge to run away and go back to Delhi. It was Col. Joga Rao, who convinced me that all would be done on schedule and he did it. It stands before all of us now as a living testimonial to his courage, capabilities, and efficiency.â€

But, there were times when Joga Rao himself was racked with doubts about the completion of the Hospital project. In the summer of 1991, Bhagavan was at ‘Sai Sruti’, the beautiful mandir overlooking the scenic lake at Kodaikanal. In fact, the foundation work for the building was just commencing at the time Bhagavan left Prashanti Nilayam for Kodaikanal. Joga Rao came to Kodaikanal after a three day stay at Chennai for some work in connection with the Hospital project. Sri B.N. Narasimha Murthy, Warden of the boys hostel at the Brindavan campus of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, who was sharing the room with him at ‘Sai Sruti’ says,

“He looked very tired and went to bed quite early that evening after dinner. When I woke up around two in the morning, one of the lights was on, and I found Joga Rao sitting on his cot with his hands clutching the forehead, and eyes closed. I could make out that he was very uncomfortable. I sat up and asked him, “Sir, can I help you? You seem to have a bad headache.â€

“Yes, I have a headache; but it is a different kind of headache!†replied Joga Rao.

“Can I be of any help, sir?†I persisted.

“None except Swami can do anything to cure me of this headache!†Joga Rao sounded very categorical. More out of sympathy for me than anything else, he continued,

“How will the hospital building be completed before November? There are so many problems.â€

That was his headache! There was nothing I could do about it, but I felt overawed by his concern and anxiety over the work that was very dear to Swami’s heart. He was working very hard to meet the deadline set by Bhagavan’s declaration about the hospital on His previous birthday. With these thoughts hovering in my mind, I lay down and slept.

Next morning during the breakfast, Swami asked Joga Rao, “Joga Rao, you didn’t have good sleep last night. Isn’t it so?â€

“Swami, You know everything,†submitted Joga Rao.

“Why are you losing sleep over what I have promised?â€

“Swami, sometimes I get worried.â€

“Joga Rao, you have no reason to worry. Rest assured that the project will be completed on time. The land of Bharath is Yoga Bhoomi, Thyaga Bhoomi and Punya Bhoomi. Anyone undertaking any work in this great land with selfless intention will be successful without any doubt. Men, money and materials which are required for the completion of the work, will come by themselves. It is not only in the case of Swami, but it is so with anyone who is completely selfless!†declared Bhagavan. Those words of assurance cleared the clouds of worry and doubt from the mind of Joga Rao. Those who were witnesses to the divine scene in the dining hall in Sai Sruti felt truly blessed.’

A Revelation In the End…

In the end, as we all know, the Divine Will prevailed over all obstacles, and the magnificent edifice of the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences that stands at Prasanthi Gram, about five kilometers from Prashanti Nilayam was inaugurated exactly a year after Bhagavan’s declaration, on 22nd November 1991, with four operations being conducted successfully on the very first day. Col. Joga Rao was to say later,

“Baba plans each construction work as a simple project and gradually develops it after careful scrutiny. If He wants a project to be completed by a particular date, it will be completed by that time. That is the power of His sankalpa (Divine Will). There may be any number of problems, but the project will be completed by the date set by Him!â€

Col. Joga Rao garlanding the president of India, Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma during the 70th Birthday celebrations of Bhagawan

“I have already received the highest honour….†– Sri Joga Rao

It was this unshakeable faith in Swami’s divinity that allowed him to take up the implementation of Bhagavan’s project to supply pure drinking water to the water scarce district of Anantapur in 1994. The depth of his devotion to Swami can be understood from the fact that when he was offered a National Award to be received from the hands of the President of India in recognition of his services, he politely refused saying,

“I have already received the highest honour from the Lord Himself. It would not be appropriate for me to even think of accepting any other award!" That is truly Karma Yogi Joga Rao.

It was in these and many other ways that Joga Rao experienced the divine nature of Swami. The greatest fortune conferred on Joga Rao by the Lord was to be His friend and devotee when He is on earth in the human form. The wonderful relation that this engineer enjoyed with the Avatar is unsurpassed for its charming intimacy. He was privileged to be witness to that astounding incident when Swami revealed His true form to a select group of devotees at Ooty, on the day of Mahasivarathri in 1978.

On the previous Mahashivaratri in 1977, observing the difficulties of the mammoth crowd of devotees surging forward to have a glimpse of the Lingodbhava at Prashanti Nilayam, Bhagavan had announced that He would be cancelling further public celebration of the festival and that the devotees could celebrate the holy day in their own places from next year onwards. The next Mahashivaratri was on Thursday, the 7th of March 1978 . Even as devotees were wondering where He would be on that sacred day, He went away to Ooty during the early hours of the morning of 4th March with a very small contingent of students and devotees. He left Ooty on the 7th and proceeded to Mudhumalai forest, which is on the way to Mysore . He broke journey at the guesthouse on the top of a small hill in the forest.

After breakfast, Baba walked on to the beautiful meadow in front of the guesthouse and posed for photographs with every member of the party. A Polaroid camera was used by a student to click the photographs. The photos were given to the members instantly. Finally, Baba asked the student to click His photograph.

The lower part of His orange robe had been caught in the twigs of a bush. Before the camera clicked, Smt. Ratanlal rushed forward to set right the folds of the robe. Everyone was astonished when Bhagavan shouted at her loudly, "Don't touch Me!" and she retreated quickly. After the camera clicked, Baba held the photo coming out of the camera and gave it to Joga Rao. As he held it in his palm, the picture developed gradually. But what did he see?

In the place where he had expected to see Baba's form in orange robe, there stood a young figure in the black and white photo. The form, which wore a white flowing garment, had three heads and six hands!

Each arm was holding an insignia of Divinity. The lower left arm bent at the elbow, was resting on the back of a majestic young cow. There were four dogs in the background. The face in the centre was that of Baba! It was the form of Lord Dattatreya as described in ancient Indian texts, the integrated form of the Trinity - Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara! That was His real form! After all eyes had feasted on that incredible creation and all hearts had registered the rare revelation, the photo vanished. Bhagavan confirmed while speaking to the students at Brindavan the next morning that it was indeed His true form. He also clarified that Smt. Ratanlal would not have survived if she had touched Him then!

A Pair of Protecting Hands

Another instance, when Bhagavan revealed His Omniscience and Omnipotence to Joga Rao was recounted to us by Dr. A. Sudhir Bhaskar, professor in the School of Business Management, Accounting and Finance at Bhagavan’s University. Joga Rao was returning to Prashanti Nilayam after visiting some officials at Anantapur. But, even as they were hurrying back, they were caught in a heavy downpour. But, Joga Rao was eager to apprise Swami of all that had transpired and he prodded the driver on in spite of the reduced visibility. Just as they entered the Sathya Sai Taluk, their car entered a ditch and to their horror they were being swept away in the current onto one side of the road.

It was precisely at this moment they experienced as if there was a big tug and the car was moving in the direction of the road as if being pushed from behind. Joga Rao and another person seated in the back seat could see a pair of hands on the rear windscreen pushing the car to safety. To continue the incident, the car miraculously started and the party reached the Mandir safely and Col. Joga Rao came to know that Swami had enquired about him before retiring for the day. When the colonel went to “update†Bhagavan, Swami straight away said, “Joga Rao you should not have instructed the driver to drive car in the overflowing road. What would have happened if the car were to fall into the ditch?†The astounded colonel could only mumble words of gratitude. Later that day he remarked to the co-passenger “If you do Swami’s work perfectly, Swami will protect youâ€.

This protecting Hand of Bhagavan was to come to the Colonel’s rescue on many more occasions. Once, Joga Rao developed severe chest pain with all the symptoms of a heart attack. He was rushed to a reputed private hospital in Bangalore, where he was kept in the Intensive Care Unit. Meanwhile, during the afternoon Darshan at Prashanti Nilayam, Bhagavan told the students and a few elders who had gathered in the portico of the mandir, "Joga Rao is not well. I have to go to Bangalore and see him." The driver got ready with the car; His departure to Bangalore was imminent. Baba went into His room, came out after sometime and announced, "I went and saw Joga Rao; he is alright. I sat by his side on the bed and he was upset that no chair was provided for Me!"

When Joga Rao's son-in-law went to see him late in the afternoon, Joga Rao told him, "Swami came here and blessed me. He sat on my bed since no chair was placed for Him." A few days later, after Joga Rao was shifted to a suite from ICU, Bhagavan travelled to Bangalore and visited him in the hospital.

Another instance concerns his eldest daughter, who had to undergo a hysterectomy. The doctors were contemplating removing one of her kidneys as they had the apprehension that it may malfunction. Joga Rao went to Prashanti Nilayam and met Bhagavan. Even before he could utter anything to Baba, He said, "Joga Rao, there is no need for removing the kidney. Be assured that everything will go well."

He also materialised Vibhuti for his daughter and gave it to him. When he went to meet his daughter in the nursing home the next morning, she was beaming with smiles; she said, "Father, please give me the Vibhuti. Swami came here last night and said that my kidney would not be removed and that He would send Vibhuti for me!" Needless to say, everything was alright thereafter.

------------------------

Towering Sunil Walks Again… Overpowered by Love

The story of how the terrible trauma of Sunil Verma, who met with a near fatal accident, was transformed into a triumph of Love…

Delirious and at Death’s Door With high fever, Sunil Verma lay almost delirious as the doctors struggled to bring down his temperature. They needed to clean the wound on his leg three times a day. Despite administering high potency antibiotics, his fever and infection refused to subside. “We had done all that we could. When I walked out of the operation theatre, I saw Sunil’s parents in tears. A patient in his condition is facing a risk to his life. Though it was late evening, I told them to rush to Prashanti Nilayam and post a letter to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba narrating their son’s condition,†said Dr. Kailash Rao, the Head of Orthopaedics, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Prasanthigram.

Taking the doctor’s advice, the parents rushed to the ashram. Sunil’s parents had not slept a wink for four days, and his mother, Eshwari’s eyes drooped on their own accord as she took an auto rickshaw along with her husband, Mr. M.P. Raju for the 5 kilometre ride to Prashanti Nilayam. In a daze, she beheld the quickly changing scenes of the harrowing ordeal of the days gone by.

How on that fateful day her son had just returned from college and his friends visited him…They took him for a joy ride on a motorbike… She had been preparing snacks for him but he said he will have something outside… He had been away for a long time… She had waited… He did not return… Then somebody, must have been a passer by, dropped in and told her that her son had met with an accident!

The memory of that terrible moment shook her out of her painful reverie…as she looked outside, she realised they had reached Prasanthi Nilayam. She walked straight to a courier agency, and the way she and her husband went about writing a long note, the receptionist there knew it was a ‘SOS’ call to Bhagavan. They poured their heart out to Bhagavan… they were going through the worst nightmare of their lives. How terrible the twist of fate had been for them in the last few weeks.

A Joyride Too Far In fact, on March 31, 2007 Sunil was his jubilant self. He had returned home after the end of the first theory examination, very satisfied and happy. Of course, there were more exams to follow, but on that day it was time to enjoy.

Mr. Sunil Verma

It was almost dusk when two of his friends had picked him up from his home for a joy ride. Negotiating the dirt tracks of their village of Kottapeta (near Rajahmundry, East Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh) had always filled them with a sense of excitement and achievement.

Tall and lanky, with a thick plastic-frame spectacles, Sunil always stood out among his friends, precisely for his figure more than anything else, as he was noticeably mild-mannered and unassuming. Recalling the moment that turned his life upside down in a split second, Sunil said: “As we sped along, there was a tractor wagon lumbering ahead. It was a narrow path and foolishly, we tried to squeeze the bike through and overtake the tractor.

As the bike cut across the track in a hurry and tried to manoeuvre through the illusive few inches of space, I brought my leg close to the bike’s frame. I tried my best to prevent a collision, but in vain. My left leg struck the back of the wagon, and it was a high speed accident… I just flew off the bike and landed in the dirt. My other two friends too were thrown off the bike.â€

As he lay on the dirt track bleeding profusely from the left leg, Sunil saw a few pieces of what looked like bone strewn on the track. Loose dust on the ground had turned into dark red mud after blood from his body had seeped into it. Sunil felt no pain. So, he got up on his feet momentarily, thinking he would just walk away, but collapsed. He could not get up again… Sunil’s knee and femur had pulverised at the impact with the tractor wagon; tiny pieces of his bone lay sprayed on that village track. His parents rushed him to the nearest hospital, but it being Saturday evening, only emergency services were available.

Frantic Attempts to Save His Ebbing Life

Sunil's knee and femur were pulverized by contact with the tractor

Extensive loss of blood made Sunil’s blood pressure plummet, and he then fainted – imagine the parents’ desperate condition. Frantic phone calls to relatives and friends brought them three units of blood. Then they called up their neighbour, who was a volunteer of the Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisation. With his help another donor was arranged, who donated a unit.

Sunil’s situation stabilised to some extent, but any hope of saving his leg began to fade. When the hospital finally opened on Monday morning, 36 hours after the incident, infection had already set in. The doctors grimly told Sunil’s family that an operation would cost around Rs. 2 lakh (US $ 4000) and they would have to spend another Rs. 1 lakh (US $ 2000) on medicines.

Sunil’s father, Mr. M.P. Raju, was a teacher in a local school and earned Rs. 4,000 a month. The only other source of family income was their land of two-acres. Income from this piece of land went towards Sunil’s and his elder brother’s education.

Relatives of the family came forward with whatever they could organise. Eventually, Rs. 1.5 lakh was raised so that the surgery could begin. But shockingly, the doctors refused even to touch Sunil, unless the whole Rs. 3 lakh were arranged.

It was undoubtedly the lowest point of their lives. “We lost all hope. We could do nothing. We did not know what was to become of him,†Sunil’s mother Eashwari said, her face harried as she remembered this traumatic period. Divine Help - Out of the Blue Suddenly and out of the blue, a sympathetic doctor from the same hospital told them about the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Prasanthigram, where the surgery and treatment were given totally free of cost. The doctor also told them that nothing would be charged from them, even for the hospital stay or food. Unable to believe that such a place could really exist in a society dominated by monetary values, Sunil’s family initially had their doubts. But then that was the only hope they had. Four full days after the accident, with hope diminishing like a twilight sunset, the family engaged an ambulance from Rajamundry to Puttaparthi paying Rs. 14,000, and finally reached SSSIHMS, Prasanthigram, on April 3, 2007.

The Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Prasanthigram

On entering its premises, they somehow felt reassured. The sight of the huge embracing arms of the massive building ignited in them a little confidence…were their renewed hopes going to be dashed as they entered inside, or was everything they had heard about this unique hospital really true?

An external fixation device was placed on the fractured femur to immobilizeand promote healing

As they were ushered in they noticed the peaceful atmosphere and spotless environment. The concerned doctor on night duty was aghast looking at Sunil’s wound. Blood had seeped through the dressing and it had started emitting a foul smell.

Sunil was immediately admitted, investigated and emergency debridement (surgical removal of foreign matter and dead tissue from a wound) was performed. The doctors feared that with the wound getting infected, any delay in treatment would necessitate amputation of the limb.

An X-ray of the leg confirmed that several pieces of bone were missing from his left leg, and the knee was shattered. Sunil had actually suffered from an open fracture of the lower end of the femur on the left leg. The doctors fixed his leg with an external fixator (a device consisting of multiple pins and external rings or bars which hold a fractured bone in place).

According to Dr. Rao, the first six-hour period following such an injury is called the golden period. If the patient comes to an orthopaedician within this time, then the success rate is almost 100 per cent. But beyond 6 hours, there are high chances of infection setting in. And Sunil had come to SSSIHMS, Prasanthigram after four days…

“Sunil had developed a high fever due to infection. The microbiology department report said that the bacteria were resistant to common antibiotics. Finally, a high potency dose of antibiotics was given to Sunil. But the fever continued,†the surgeon explained, and also added that Sunil’s condition was, indeed, dangerous. His bone was badly broken and blood vessels had been torn off. The worst part was he had delayed coming to the hospital by more than four days. “Patients in such cases do not always recoverâ€, the surgeons opined.

“With the infection refusing to subside, we thought it would be impossible to save Sunil’s leg. There was also a threat to his life. The only refuge we had was Sai Baba. We surrendered completely to Him,†the surgeons humbly submitted.

Then at the Very Lowest Point… And that’s why they asked Eshwari and Raju to pray hard and also write a letter to Baba. And after they had handed over their envelope to the courier agency, they hurriedly returned to the Hospital. Immediately they sought out the surgeons, and surprisingly, they were greeted by twinkling smiles.

“The fever has started reducing on its own,†the doctors jubilantly told them.

For the first time, in the last many weeks, Eshwari and Raju’s hearts lit up. “That news was a relief, such a big relief,†she said later. “I just slumped into a chair and shed tears of joy. We had emptied our heart entirely in that letter and prayed for His mercy, and it just worked!â€

And then, followed a dramatic reduction in Sunil’s infection. The doctors now administered oral antibiotics for 10 days and Sunil was put on an external fixator. Later, a bone graft was done followed by illizaro fixation. And finally, Sunil was given a brace and a walking shoe-raise.

“I never believed I will walk again…†- Sunil The stunned doctors who treated Sunil, till this day, feel his case was nothing short of a miracle: “We did all that we could. We gave him the most potent antibiotics and cleaned the wound three times a day, but finally when we could do nothing more, we just surrendered to Bhagavan. From that moment, Sunil’s situation just began improving on its own. It felt like a gentle reminder by Bhagavan, that it was He who cures, not us. Sunil was able to have food after several days. He then recovered remarkably.â€

Sunil with his mother, Ms. Eshwari

The surgeons now say Sunil will be able to walk again, but for sometime, he will not be able to bend his left knee. “We can do a joint replacement later, which will help Sunil lead a perfectly normal life,†Dr. Rao added. Sunil currently walks with a crutch but in time he will give this up. He says that after the harrowing experience of being refused treatment in Rajamundry, the care extended by the doctors of SSSIHMS just feels like a dream. “All I can say is I never believed that I will be able to walk on my two legs again. But here I am on my two legs!†Joy was dancing on his face as he happily looked down at his feet.

“Sai Baba works through the doctors here…†– Eshwari, Sunil’s mother

Sunil’s mother, Eshwari, chokes with feeling, when she speaks about how her son has received a new life. “I never expected my son will be back on his feet. We did not have to spend a single paisa on his treatment in this Hospital. We had completely given up hope. But Sai Baba works through the doctors here, who are living embodiments of His love. My son has got a new life,†she added, her face wet with emotion. The Bible says that the Lord made the blind see and lame walk, and there are a few such instances in that Holy Scripture. But today, this is happening right in front of our eyes every single day, and the Lord is doing this, not only directly, but also through ordinary people like us.

Bhagavan Baba is demonstrating to us what we can really do if we surrender to Him and believe in the power of Pure Love. Miracles manifest every moment in our lives if we surrender to Him sincerely and make Love the only inspiration and destination of our lives. And as a testimony to this, stands gloriously the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences. ~ Heart2Heart Teamin association with SSSIHMS------------students experiences...he

There are many incidents that reveal Swami's compassion. Let me narrate one that I remember. One day Swami was giving darshan to the devotees in Prashanthi Nilayam. As he walked amidst them, I saw a small girl, scarcely five years old, trying to give a letter to Swami. “Did this small girl write the letter ? Perhaps her mother would have written it.

I thought. Even as this thought flashed across my mind, I saw Swami taking the letter, crumpling it and throwing it down as if it was waste paper. This strange act of His made me wonder, may be Swami meant that the letter was a waste paper. Did this mean that their prayers were answered? He is compassionate. He might have answered. Even if He did not, there must be some meaning to it. This small girl was suffering from heart ailment.The doctors in Madras and Hyderabad confirmed the presence of a hole in her heart. When they came to super specialty hospital at Prashanthi Nilayam, the same result awaited them. The doctors confirmed

The mother saw Swami crumpling the letter, and took it as a rejection

the hole in her heart. The date for the operation was fixed. The girl"s mother wrote a letter to Swami about the operation, and asked the girl to hand it over to Swami.This was the scene witnessed by people in the darshan queue . The mother saw Swami crumpling the letter, and took it as a rejection. Mother"s heart bled for her child assuming that there was no hope. The day of the operation dawned. The girl was wheeled into the operation theater. When the final tests were done the same doctors could not believe themselves!They found that there was no trace of any hole in the heart. The child was perfectly healthy. They went home glad and grateful to Swami. What a way to indicate His benediction. Only Swami knows the purpose of what He does. However, once in a while He does let us peep

behind the curtain of His mysterious ways. He always wants to instill joy in us. Perhaps He wants us to understand Him. But then He also says that we should not try to understand Him but only experience Him. Probably, He gives us these glimpses so that we will know the inscrutable nature of his deeds, and the futility of our efforts to comprehend them.------------------------

The Crumpled Letter

There are many incidents that reveal Swami's compassion. Let me narrate one that I remember. One day Swami was giving darshan to the devotees in Prashanthi Nilayam. As he walked amidst them, I saw a small girl, scarcely five years old, trying to give a letter to Swami. “Did this small girl write the letter ? Perhaps her mother would have written it.

I thought. Even as this thought flashed across my mind, I saw Swami taking the letter, crumpling it and throwing it down as if it was waste paper. This strange act of His made me wonder, may be Swami meant that the letter was a waste paper. Did this mean that their prayers were answered? He is compassionate. He might have answered. Even if He did not, there must be some meaning to it. This small girl was suffering from heart ailment.The doctors in Madras and Hyderabad confirmed the presence of a hole in her heart. When they came to super specialty hospital at Prashanthi Nilayam, the same result awaited them. The doctors confirmed

the hole in her heart. The date for the operation was fixed. The girl"s mother wrote a letter to Swami about the operation, and asked the girl to hand it over to Swami.This was the scene witnessed by people in the darshan queue . The mother saw Swami crumpling the letter, and took it as a rejection. Mother"s heart bled for her child assuming that there was no hope. The day of the operation dawned. The girl was wheeled into the operation theater. When the final tests were done the same doctors could not believe themselves!They found that there was no trace of any hole in the heart. The child was perfectly healthy. They went home glad and grateful to Swami. What a way to indicate His benediction. Only Swami knows the purpose of what He does. However, once in a while He does let us peep

behind the curtain of His mysterious ways. He always wants to instill joy in us. Perhaps He wants us to understand Him. But then He also says that we should not try to understand Him but only experience Him. Probably, He gives us these glimpses so that we will know the inscrutable nature of his deeds, and the futility of our efforts to comprehend them.------------------------

Om Sai Ram

Report of Handicapped day on 19Th July 2009 at "Aiseien" a place for handicapped people.

This program Kobe Center organized, with Bhajans, Japanese music and video.

This program has started with the Bhajan “jai jai jai gananayaka†.

And dedicated Japanese songs by youth wing.

After the program over , we served some cakes and chai for the handicapped people.

We also enjoyed this seva.

SWAMI has taught us to engage in seva activities and comfort people, and you will discover the fountain joy within each of us.

Jai sai Ram

Many devotees participated this Seva.

Youth wing dedicated so beautiful chorus.

Musical instruments

Thank you very much for giving us the chance for Seva.

.. -----------------------------

1. SWAMI'S MESSAGE. 2. MUSING ON AVATAR.

3. TRUE EDUCATION SATHYA SAI SPEAKS

4. SHIRDI BABA'S STORY.

5. CONV WITH SAI. 6. INSCUTABLE WITH COSMIC BEING.

7. TRIBUTE COLONELTO JOGA RAO.

8, SUNIL WALK AGAIN. 9. CRUMBLING LETTER

10. .KOBE CENTERS HANDICAPPED DAY.--------------

KOBE CENTERS PROGRAM SCHEDULE

Place : l.S.S. 2nd Fl. 1-3, Kumochi 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe (Tel: 078-222-1885) Home Page MAP

Bhajans

Bhajan Practice

Study Circle

every Sun 4:00-5:00pmevery Thur 7:30-830pm

1st,5th Sun 2:00-3:40pm 2nd Sun 2:00-3:20pm3rd,4th Sun 2:30-3:40pm every Thur 7:00-7:20pm

2nd Sun 5:30-6:30pm (English)4th Sun 5:30-6:30 (Japanese) 2nd Sun 3:40-3:55 (Gayatri Chanting)

Ladies Programme

3rd,5th Sun 5:30-6:30pm

Youth Programme

3rd Sun 0:30-2:20pm 2nd Sun in odd months 5:30-6:15pm(Study Circle)1st Sun in even months 0:30-1:50

Seva

Aisei-en (Orphanage home): 3rd Sun 9:30-11:30amNarayana Seva: 2nd,4th Sun 10:00-11:30am, 1st, 3rd Thur 9:00-10:00pm

Veda Club

Veda clup is held on every 4th Sunday after Bhajans.

Study Circle in (Japanese) is held on every 2nd Sunday on 1st fl.

Subscribe/Un information: (Free copy)

To , please send your request to rgcjp

To , please type “REMOVE†on the subject line and send to rgcjp

----------------------- SAI CENTERS: KOBE, YOKOHAMA, OSAKA, SAPPORE,HAMAMATSU

OKINAWA, CHIBA, NAGOYA, TOKYO & KYOTO.'

SAI BHAJAN GROUPS.: OBIHIRO, SAITAMA, SHIZUOKA, KITAKYUSHU, MORIOKA

TAMA, NARA, FUKUOKA, TOHOKU, NAGANO, IWAKUNI,

HIROSHIMA, KAGOSHIMA, GUNMA, KANAZAWA, KAGAWA.

Note: Some schedules are subject to change.

Please contact respective centers and groups for information.

.....................................................................................................

Inside This issue...

Sai Ram

The July issue kansai light is a treasure for any Sai devotees. One should read it again and again. Lot of information is there.

Continue this seva

Sai Prem

Ramachandra Balkrishna

----------------------

Dear Brother

Sai Ram

I am from Malaysia , the articles in Kansai Light is fantastic. I enjoy

it very much. Please continue to send us.

Sharmila

______

Dear Sai Brother

Sai Ram

Your article "Are you God" is a true vision and also Kansai Light

I really felt Swami prence as Swami is talking to me. I wish do send

me such eyes, ear,heart widening open to lead by life with

garland made of Baba's as thread of my life. I love immensely.

Baba help me to follow the path, which you have given us.

We all are God, and see God in every creature.

Once again Thanks! Please Baba accept my Sai Ram in as person.

Saiesha from .

----------------------

Sai Ram

Dear Sai Brother ,

The Aticles about Seva and Healing are very inspiring and also

july kansai light is full of Swami's teachings and His immence

love for all of us. May the Lord bless you to continue this wonderful

seva.

Loura Canada.

_____

-

an

There are many incidents that reveal Swami's compassion. Let me narrate one that I remember. One day Swami was giving darshan to the devotees in Prashanthi Nilayam. As he walked amidst them, I saw a small girl, scarcely five years old, trying to give a letter to Swami. “Did this small girl write the letter ? Perhaps her mother would have written it.I thought. Even as this thought flashed across my mind, I saw Swami taking the letter, crumpling it and throwing it down as if it was waste paper. This strange act of His made me wonder, may be Swami meant that the letter was a waste paper. Did this mean that their prayers were answered? He is compassionate. He might have answered. Even if He did not, there must be some meaning to it. This small girl was suffering from heart ailment.The doctors in Madras and Hyderabad confirmed

the presence of a hole in her heart. When they came to super specialty hospital at Prashanthi Nilayam, the same result awaited them. The doctors confirmed

behind the curtain of His mysterious ways. He always wants to instill joy in us. Perhaps He wants us to understand Him. But then He also says that we should not try to understand Him but only experience Him. Probably, He gives us these glimpses so that we will know the inscrutable nature of his deeds, and the futility of our efforts to comprehend them.Ram ChuganiKobe, JapanRam ChuganiKobe, Japan

Ram ChuganiKobe, Japan