IndiaDivine.org

Swami Vivekananda (The Master Builder of Our Nation)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

AT HIS MASTER'S FEET

THE STRANGE SPELL OVER NAREN

Sri Ramakrishna was a simple, very ordinary looking Brahmin who was serving as a priest in the Kali temple, Dakshineswar. At first sight, there was nothing remarkable about him. Therefore, the sophisticated Naren's surrender to Sri Ramakrishna was not immediate as he could not bring himself to believe so easily in the godliness which was emanating from Sri Ramakrishna. Nor would he admit to himself the spontaneous influence which he felt coming over him from the Great Saint. He came away from Dakshineswar with apparently no further interest in going there again. Yet, something in his mind craved for the sight of Sri Ramakrishna and at last he submitted himself to this inner urge.

SECOND MEETING WITH SRI RAMAKRISHNA

Naren's second visit to Dakshineswar brought him still nearer to Sri Ramakrishna. It was in February 1882 that the second memorable meeting took place. Even at the first meeting, Sri Ramakrishna had measured the intensity of Naren's spirituality. Sri Ramakrishna's mind was equally restless to see Naren again. He had decided that he would give a taste of God experience to his beloved disciple - to be. As soon as Naren came he was overwhelmed with joy. Sri Ramakrishna, even during his first meeting had felt the spiritual tenor of Naren and had marked him out as his chief disciple who would be aiding him in his work. In Naren he saw the leader of his future group of disciple. Naren's second visit to him confirmed it. To bring the rationalistic intellectual Naren to the submission and surrender of a disciple he decided that he must give him some taste of his spirituality. He called him to his side, made him sit near to him, and then..."In the twinkling of an eye, he placed his right foot on my body. The touch at once gave me a novel experience. With my eyes open, I saw the walls of the room along with everything within it whirling away, till they vanished into naught and the whole universe with my individuality was rushing out as it were to merge itself in some encompassing void. Unable to stand it, I cried out, "Oh! Sir, what is it that you have done to me ? I have my parents at home!" The strange queer man laughed aloud and stroking my chest said: 'All right. Let it rest now. Everything will come in time!' The wonder of it was, no sooner had he said this, than the strange experience of mine vanished. I was myself again and found everything within and without the room as it had been before". These are the words in which Swamiji has recalled his very important second meeting with the Saint of Dakshineswar.

Cont.