IndiaDivine.org

Swami Vivekananda (The Master Builder of Our Nation)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

AMERICAN PRESS LAUDS VIVEKANANDA

The American papers reproduced the full text of Swamiji's address to the parliament along with his full size picture. The New York Hearld wrote, "He is undoubtly, the greatest figure in the parliament of religions. After hearing him, we feel how foolish it is to send missionaries to this learned nation".

It was a great triumph not only for the monk, Vivekananda, but also for India and Hinduism. Swamiji at that hour of his triumph in Chicago, was just thirty years old.

TRIUMPH OF TRUTH

Swamiji's success at the parliament was followed by his immediate acceptance by the elite of the American society as a social celebrity as well. Invitations poured to him inviting him to the luxurious entertainments at American homes. But a patriot saint that he was, he could find no enjoyment in the luxuries he was surrounded with. Mentally, he was comparing the wealth of America with the poverty of his own dear country. He could not sleep for he was moved to tears. He was choked with emotion at the thought of his starving countrymen and lying on the floor he would cry out, "O Mother, what do I care for the name and fame, when my Motherland remains suck in utmost poverty. To what a sad pass have we poor Indians come, when millions of us die for want of a handful of rice, and here they spend millions of rupees for their personal comfort. Who will raise the masses of India? Who will give them bread? Show me, O Mother, how I can help them".

Cont.