IndiaDivine.org

Swami Vivekananda (The Master Builder of Our Nation)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HOME-COMING AND THE WORK IN INDIA

HOME-COMING

The home-coming of Swami Vivekananda after four years of glorious work in the name of the motherland and her ancient religion was an event unparalleled in the history of our country. Swamiji's resounding success in the powerful West was a matter of great pride and gratification to every Indian. A nation which had been reduced to political serfdom and economic stagnation suddenly realised that it had not to bend its head down in shame, inferiority, or defeatism, but it could hold up its head in legitimate pride with absolute confidence. The newspapers reported about the reception accorded to Swamiji saying, "Never since its earlier days has Madras witnessed such an enthusiastic reception accorded to anyone" As soon as Swamiji landed on the Indian soil after his whirlwind tour of the West, he smeared his body with the soil of his most beloved India. Such was the reverence and love he had for his Motherland. He held it so very sacred. He remarked in one of his talk: "I do not find in the whole world another country which has done quite so much for the improvement of the human mind. Therefore, I have no words of condemnation for my nation". Thus, one can easily see how the Swamiji's utterances were often surcharged with a profound love for his country and fervent concern for the betterment of her people.

The whole country stood as one to accord a proper welcome to the illustrious son of India. Wherever he went royal receptions awaited him. He used them as opportunities to pour out his heart to his countrymen to "Arise, Awake". He boldly criticized the evils and proudly upheld the good. Many are the inspiring thoughts he has left for posterity.

In our excessive admiration for the glittering prosperity of the West, most of us have become oblivious of the glory of our Motherland. Several forces have clouded our vision and patriotism seems to be a thing of the past. Swami Vivekananda was a fire-brand patriot. He had a deep understanding of the country's glorious heritage. He was equally aware of her weakness. He admired the material splendor of the West. Yet, uppermost in his mind were the poor and downtrodden in his own country. He wept for those steeped in misery, born of poverty and ignorance. He was pining every moment, how he could uplift the poor masses of India. The striking transformation that education had brought into the Western society caught his attention and he said, "Travelling through many cities of Europe and observing in them the comforts and education of even the poor people, there was brought to my mind the state of our own people, and I used to shed tears. What made the difference ? Education, was the answer I got. Through education comes faith in one's self and through faith in one's self the inherent Brahman is waking up in them the Brahman in us gradually becoming dormant"