IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 61)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 60 were posted earlier. This is part 61. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 61

c) Material Manifestations Are Limited Versions of Brahman, to Which They Are All Subject

The Vedas are the only scriptures which teach the real absolute God, of which all other ideas of God are but minimized and limited visions. (11)

What makes this creation? God. What do I mean by the use of the English word God? Certainly not the word as ordinarily used in English - a good deal of difference. There is no other suitable word in English. I would rather confine myself to the Sanskrit word Brahman. It is the general cause of all these manifestations. What is this Brahman? It is eternal, eternally pure, eternally awake, the almighty, the all-knowing, the all-merciful, the omnipresent, the formless, the partless. It "creates" this universe. (12)

All that has name and form is subject to all that has none. This is the eternal truth the Shrutis preach. (13)

Cross reference to:

Isha Up., 16

Gita 2.24

d) The Desirability of Spiritual, Rather Than Material Monism

1. Absolute Oneness Is the Only System For People Who Want to Be Rational and Religious at the Same Time

Here are two parallel lines of existence - one of the mind, the other of matter. If matter and its transformations answer for all that we have, there is no necessity for supposing the existence of a soul. But it cannot be proved that thought has been evolved out of matter; and if a philosophical monism is inevitable, spiritual monism is certainly logical and no less desirable than a materialistic monism. (14)

In spite of people's curious notions about Advaitism, people's fright about Advaitism, it is the salvation of the world, because therein alone is to be found the reason of things. Dualism and other isms are very good as a means of worship, very satisfying to the mind; and maybe they have helped the mind onward; but if someone wants to be rational and religious at the same time, Advaita is the one system in the world for him or her. (15)

Ceremonials and symbols etc., have no place in our religion, which is the doctrine of the Upanishads, pure and simple. Many people think the ceremonials etc. help them in realizing religion. I have no objection.

Religion is that which does not depend upon books or teachers or prophets or saviors, and that which does not make us dependent in this or in any other lives upon others. In this sense the Advaitism of the Upanishads is the only religion. But savior, books, prophets, ceremonials etc. have their place. They may help many, as Kali worship helps me in my secular work. They are welcome. (16)