IndiaDivine.org

RE: [ramakrishna] Fw: can you help?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hanna,

In reply to your question, how would a Hindu think about human organ transplantation? I can reflect as follows:

A Hindu will have no problem with organ transplant.

From a scientific perspective: In Hindu (Indian) medicine, Susruta was the surgeon who performed transplants. In fact Susruta Samhita (thesis) is a treatise on surgery and that interalia includes transplant. This is book is a prescribed text for students studying Ayurved (traditional Indian medicine) at any Indian University.

From religious perspective: The Hindu mythology is full of instances of organ transplant. Lord Ganesh, a Hindu God revered widely (and the Ganesh festival in India begins today!!) was performed with a transplant of an elephant head and as such you find elephant head on the body of Ganesh. Another example is Narsimha, though not a case of transplant as such it is half lion and half human.

Hope this helps

Milind Sathye

Vivekananda Centre [vivekananda]Tuesday, 21 August 2001 6:12 PMlist[ramakrishna] Fw: can you help?

Can any list member help with the following?

You may reply directly or via the list.

jay

- Hanna hanna.hg

vivekananda

Tuesday, August 21, 2001 08:09

can you help?

Hello!

I´m a Swedish student doing some research on medical issues and religion.

I have a question that I hope you can help me with:

How would a Hindu think about human organ transplantation?

I would be most grateful if you could respond to this question as soon as possible!

Many thanks in advance,

from HannaSri Ramakrishnaye NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk