IndiaDivine.org

FORGIVENESS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Amba,

You are indeed a great soul in order to forgive people over and over again without suffering from rancour.

Only yesterday I was travelling by train, returning after a four day peaceful retreat at Belur Math. I chose to sit on three adjascent seats as my parents were with me. One of the seats (a window seat) was not reserved in our names. The person who had the reservation for that seat refused to accede to my request to shift to another seat in the same row and insisted on sitting there. I conceded but was shocked to find resentment within me at this small incident. The feeling of resentment and also the feeling of my own guilt stayed with me for a long time. Later the person walked up to me and became friendly with me. But I am yet to forgive myself for that feeling of resentment which came automatically.

Regards

Jagannath.

amba2200 <jessakaslade wrote:

Namaste:I have a question which is age old for me in that it is something that I have questioned much of my life. I understand that Swami Yogeshanandaji is into the teachings of Christ, so maybe even he can comment on this:In Matthew 18:21,22, Peter asks Jesus: "Lord, how many times is my brother to sin against me and am I to forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him,"I say to you, not, Up to seven times, but Up to seventy-seven times." Now in my mind, I am thinking, then you would have to allow such a person in your life in order to forgive him that many times, which would be putting you in a very abusive situation. I can understand forgiving a person, but if it continues then I can see that it would be better to forgive and let that person go. Is there something I am not understanding in this verse? It is

hard now for me to imagine that Jesus would think this way. I much prefer the liberating remarks of Sri Ramakrishna in "The Gospel of Ramakrishna" where the conversation goes: Bhavanath: "I feel disturbed if I have a misunderstanding with someone. I feel that in that case I am not able to love all."Master: "Try at the outset to talk to him and establish a friendly relationship with him. If you fail in spite of your efforts, then don't give it another thought. Take refuge in God. Meditate on Him. There is no use in giving up on God and being depressed from thinking about others."Bhavanath: "Great souls, such as Christ and Chaitanya, have admonished us to love all beings."Master: "Love you must, because God dwells in all beings. But salute a wicked person from a distance."Which of course, does not allow you to be able to forgive "Up to seven times seventy." The reason I have asked this question is because I am

trying to understand Jesus' teachings. At the same time I find Sri Ramakrishna's words very liberating and something that I needed to hear since I have always been used to forgiving others over and over and not "saluting them from afar." Thank you.AmbaSri Ramakrishnaye NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk

Dear Jagannath,

Thank you for your e-mail. I can understand that feeling of resentment and then the guilt afterwards. I can harbor resentment, but only if the person who has hurt me has not apologized. It is when they do apologize that I am so forgiving, just to be hurt again. But I don't like feeling resentment towards anymore, and so even if I receive no apology I work it out, but it can take months then. And I don't like how I feel about it in the meantime. But in being so forgiving, I am not taking care of myself, and so I am the one to suffer with being verbally hurt by them over and over again. I am beginning the think that the guilt is more than from Christian teachings but is something just inside me that I have to learn to let go of, but I am not sure. I just don't like to see people hurting.

Lately in the situations such as you are talking about, I have begun doing something else. Such as when a car on the freeway is causing me and others problems, I say, "Jai Sri Guru Maharaj Jiki Jai," and imagine that they are being blessed and protected by God. I then try to think that the person has problems that don't really concern me. It isn't always that easy.

In friendship,

Amba

-

Jagannath Chatterjee

Ramakrishna

8/23/2003 5:25:34 PM

Re: [sri Ramakrishna] Forgiveness

Dear Amba,

You are indeed a great soul in order to forgive people over and over again without suffering from rancour.

Only yesterday I was travelling by train, returning after a four day peaceful retreat at Belur Math. I chose to sit on three adjascent seats as my parents were with me. One of the seats (a window seat) was not reserved in our names. The person who had the reservation for that seat refused to accede to my request to shift to another seat in the same row and insisted on sitting there. I conceded but was shocked to find resentment within me at this small incident. The feeling of resentment and also the feeling of my own guilt stayed with me for a long time. Later the person walked up to me and became friendly with me. But I am yet to forgive myself for that feeling of resentment which came automatically.

Regards

Jagannath.

amba2200 <jessakaslade wrote:

Namaste:I have a question which is age old for me in that it is something that I have questioned much of my life. I understand that Swami Yogeshanandaji is into the teachings of Christ, so maybe even he can comment on this:In Matthew 18:21,22, Peter asks Jesus: "Lord, how many times is my brother to sin against me and am I to forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him,"I say to you, not, Up to seven times, but Up to seventy-seven times." Now in my mind, I am thinking, then you would have to allow such a person in your life in order to forgive him that many times, which would be putting you in a very abusive situation. I can understand forgiving a person, but if it continues then I can see that it would be better to forgive and let that person go. Is there something I am not understanding in this verse? It is hard now for me to imagine that Jesus would think this way. I much prefer the liberating remarks of Sri Ramakrishna in "The Gospel of Ramakrishna" where the conversation goes: Bhavanath: "I feel disturbed if I have a misunderstanding with someone. I feel that in that case I am not able to love all."Master: "Try at the outset to talk to him and establish a friendly relationship with him. If you fail in spite of your efforts, then don't give it another thought. Take refuge in God. Meditate on Him. There is no use in giving up on God and being depressed from thinking about others."Bhavanath: "Great souls, such as Christ and Chaitanya, have admonished us to love all beings."Master: "Love you must, because God dwells in all beings. But salute a wicked person from a distance."Which of course, does not allow you to be able to forgive "Up to seven times seventy." The reason I have asked this question is because I am trying to understand Jesus' teachings. At the same time I find Sri Ramakrishna's words very liberating and something that I needed to hear since I have always been used to forgiving others over and over and not "saluting them from afar." Thank you.AmbaSri Ramakrishnaye NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk

Dear Amba,

forgive " Up to seven times seventy " and " saluting

them from afar " are probably not as contradictory as

they appear to be.

In both cases, love for the other person and

forgiveness is there. In the latter, there is another

practical advice - to keep away as much as possible

from such people who have a negative impact on you.

Here are excerpts from Swami Yogeshananda's book - Six

Lighted Windows - in which Swamiji is seeking advice

from Swami Prabhavananda :

----

.... I was spoken to on one occasion by a brother in

such cutting words that I drove all the way ... just

to sit down at his feet and unburden myself.

" Oh, I am sorry " , he whispered. " Let me tell you

something: Never pay attention to what people say to

you like that. "

----

" Swami, we are told to approach our brother monks with

love in our hearts ... when we try to do so and meet

with a rebuff, that love dries up so fast. What to do

? "

" I pray for that person then and there. "

----

> amba2200 <jessakaslade wrote:

> Namaste:

>

> I have a question which is age old for me in that it

> is something

> that I have questioned much of my life. I understand

> that Swami

> Yogeshanandaji is into the teachings of Christ, so

> maybe even he can

> comment on this:

>

> In Matthew 18:21,22, Peter asks Jesus: " Lord, how

> many times is my

> brother to sin against me and am I to forgive him?

> Up to seven

> times? " Jesus said to him, " I say to you, not, Up to

> seven times, but

> Up to seventy-seven times. " Now in my mind, I am

> thinking, then you

> would have to allow such a person in your life in

> order to forgive

> him that many times, which would be putting you in a

> very abusive

> situation. I can understand forgiving a person, but

> if it continues

> then I can see that it would be better to forgive

> and let that

> person go. Is there something I am not understanding

> in this verse?

> It is hard now for me to imagine that Jesus would

> think this way. I

> much prefer the liberating remarks of Sri

> Ramakrishna in " The Gospel

> of Ramakrishna " where the conversation goes:

>

> Bhavanath: " I feel disturbed if I have a

> misunderstanding with

> someone. I feel that in that case I am not able to

> love all. "

> Master: " Try at the outset to talk to him and

> establish a friendly

> relationship with him. If you fail in spite of your

> efforts, then

> don't give it another thought. Take refuge in God.

> Meditate on Him.

> There is no use in giving up on God and being

> depressed from

> thinking about others. "

> Bhavanath: " Great souls, such as Christ and

> Chaitanya, have

> admonished us to love all beings. "

> Master: " Love you must, because God dwells in all

> beings. But salute

> a wicked person from a distance. "

>

> Which of course, does not allow you to be able to

> forgive " Up to

> seven times seventy. " The reason I have asked this

> question is

> because I am trying to understand Jesus' teachings.

> At the same time

> I find Sri Ramakrishna's words very liberating and

> something that I

> needed to hear since I have always been used to

> forgiving others

> over and over and not " saluting them from afar. "

>

> Thank you.

>

> Amba

>

>

>

>

> Sri Ramakrishnaye Namah

> Vivekananda Centre London

> http://www.vivekananda.co.uk

>

>

Dear Ashish,

That is beautiful. I am rereading "Six Lighted Windows" right now and am on the chapter about Swami Prabhavananda. I imagine that I will come to it very soon. There is so much a person misses the first time around, for example, that statement.

Yours in the lord,

Amba

-

Ashish Gupta

Ramakrishna

8/26/2003 2:32:15 AM

Re: [sri Ramakrishna] Forgiveness

Dear Amba,forgive "Up to seven times seventy" and "salutingthem from afar" are probably not as contradictory asthey appear to be.In both cases, love for the other person andforgiveness is there. In the latter, there is anotherpractical advice - to keep away as much as possiblefrom such people who have a negative impact on you.Here are excerpts from Swami Yogeshananda's book - SixLighted Windows - in which Swamiji is seeking advicefrom Swami Prabhavananda :----... I was spoken to on one occasion by a brother insuch cutting words that I drove all the way ... justto sit down at his feet and unburden myself. "Oh, I am sorry", he whispered. "Let me tell yousomething: Never pay attention to what people say toyou like that." ----"Swami, we are told to approach our brother monks withlove in our hearts ... when we try to do so and meetwith a rebuff, that love dries up so fast. What to do?I pray for that person then and there." ----> amba2200 <jessakaslade wrote:> Namaste:> > I have a question which is age old for me in that it> is something > that I have questioned much of my life. I understand> that Swami > Yogeshanandaji is into the teachings of Christ, so> maybe even he can > comment on this:> > In Matthew 18:21,22, Peter asks Jesus: "Lord, how> many times is my > brother to sin against me and am I to forgive him?> Up to seven > times?" Jesus said to him,"I say to you, not, Up to> seven times, but > Up to seventy-seven times." Now in my mind, I am> thinking, then you > would have to allow such a person in your life in> order to forgive > him that many times, which would be putting you in a> very abusive > situation. I can understand forgiving a person, but> if it continues > then I can see that it would be better to forgive> and let that > person go. Is there something I am not understanding> in this verse? > It is hard now for me to imagine that Jesus would> think this way. I > much prefer the liberating remarks of Sri> Ramakrishna in "The Gospel > of Ramakrishna" where the conversation goes: > > Bhavanath: "I feel disturbed if I have a> misunderstanding with > someone. I feel that in that case I am not able to> love all."> Master: "Try at the outset to talk to him and> establish a friendly > relationship with him. If you fail in spite of your> efforts, then > don't give it another thought. Take refuge in God.> Meditate on Him. > There is no use in giving up on God and being> depressed from > thinking about others."> Bhavanath: "Great souls, such as Christ and> Chaitanya, have > admonished us to love all beings."> Master: "Love you must, because God dwells in all> beings. But salute > a wicked person from a distance."> > Which of course, does not allow you to be able to> forgive "Up to > seven times seventy." The reason I have asked this> question is > because I am trying to understand Jesus' teachings.> At the same time > I find Sri Ramakrishna's words very liberating and> something that I > needed to hear since I have always been used to> forgiving others > over and over and not "saluting them from afar." > > Thank you.> > Amba> > > > > Sri Ramakrishnaye Namah> Vivekananda Centre London> http://www.vivekananda.co.uk > >

• 6 years later...

PRIYA BHAGAVAT BANDHUVULLARA!

1. Forgiving is a brave act. It makes the other person feel weak

in your presence.

2. It takes much more effort and courage to be in control of your

emotions and behavior than to give in to them.

3. Forgiving is knowing that we are in full control of our lives.

4. When we decide to forgive, we refuse to let anybody else have

any kind of control over our life.

5. Essentially, forgiving means not allowing anybody to disturb us

without our permission.

6. We should not feel ashamed of saying that we cannot fight.

There is no virtue in being able to fight.

7. Pray for forgiveness as you are always forgiven by God.

8. The heart has always the pardoning power.

9. The need to take revenge robs us of our peace and multiplies our

pain.

10. It is easy to find reasons to fight when we are looking for a

fight.

11. Fighting can never be for a good reason because its very spirit is

against peace and love---the very forces that hold this universe

together.