IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 108)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 107 were posted earlier. This is part 108. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 108

PART II, SECTION 6: THE SPIRITUAL CULTURE OF THE VEDAS AND VEDANTA

Chapter 16: The Evolution of Divine Humanity through Fearlessness, Strength, Faith and Love

a) Fearlessness and Strength

1. The Only Religion That Ought to Be Taught Is the Religions of Fearlessness

If you read the Vedas you will find this word always repeated - fearlessness; fear nothing. Fear is a sign of weakness. People must go about their duties without taking notice of the sneers and ridicule of the world. (1)

What makes people stand up and work? Strength. Strength is goodness, weakness is sin. If there is one word that you find coming like a bombshell from the Upanishads, bursting like a bombshell upon masses of ignorance, it is the word fearlessness. And the only religion that ought to be taught is the realization of fearlessness. Either in this world or in the world of religion, it is true that fear is the sure cause of degradation and sin. It is fear that brings misery, fear that brings death, and fear that breeds evil. (2)

Very few indeed are there who can understand and appreciate, far less live and move in the grandeur of the full blaze of light of the Vedanta, because the first step for the pure Vedantist is to be abhih, fearless. Weakness has got to go before someone dares to become a Vedantist - and we know how difficult that is. Even those who have given up all connection with the world and have very few bondages to make them cowards, feel in the heart of their hearts how weak they are at moments, at times how soft they become, how cowed down; much more is it so with people who have so many bondages and have to remain as slaves to so many hundred and thousand things, inside and outside of themselves - nay, every moment of whose life is dragged-down slavery. (3)

So I preach only the Upanishads. If you look, you will find that I have never quoted anything but the Upanishads. And of the Upanishads, it is only that one idea of strength. The quintessence of the Vedas and Vedanta and all, lies in that one word. Buddha’s teaching was non-resistance or non-injury. But I think this is a better way of teaching the same thing. For behind that non-injury lay a dreadful weakness. It is weakness that conceived the idea of resistance. I do not think of punishing or escaping from a drop of sea-spray. It is nothing to me. Yet to the mosquito it would be serious. Now I would make all injury like that. Strength and fearlessness. (4)

Cross reference to:

Taitt. Up., 2.8

Cha. Up., 6.8.7

Gita, 2.24