IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 112)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 111 were posted earlier. This is part 112. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 112

c) The Vedas Taught a Method of Love Which Gave Freedom to Worship in Various Forms

1. Freedom of the Ideal

[The path of knowledge] belonged properly to the Aryas and therefore was so strict in the selection of adhikaris ( qualified aspirants); and the (path of devotion) coming from the South, or non-Aryan sources, had no such distinction. (18)

Bhakti is divided into vaidhi and raganuga bhakti. Vaidhi bhakti is implicit belief in and obedience to the Vedas. (19)

There are as many different conducts taught in the Vedas as there are differences in human nature. What is taught to an adult cannot be taught to a child. (20)

The Vedas contain not only the means of obtaining bhakti, but also the means for obtaining any earthly good or evil. Take whatever you want. (21)

Except for the five devatas who are to be worshipped in every auspicious karma as enjoined in our Shastras, all the other devatas are merely the names of certain states held by them. But again, these five devatas are nothing but the different names of the one God only. (22)

Unless a person chooses [a religion] for him or herself, the very spirit of Hinduism is destroyed. The essence of our faith consists simply in... freedom of the ishta [chosen ideal]. (23)

It has been recognized in the most ancient times that there are various forms of worshipping God. It is also recognized that different natures require different methods. Your method of coming to God may not be my method; possibly it might hurt me. Such an idea as that there is but one way for everybody is injurious, meaningless, and entirely to be avoided. Woe unto the world when everyone is of the same religious opinion and takes to the same path. Then all religions and all thought will be destroyed. Variety is the very soul of life. When it dies out entirely, creation will die. When this variation in thought is kept up, we must exist; and we need not quarrel because of that variety. Your way is very good for you, but not for me. My way is good for me, but not for you. My way is called in Sanskrit my ishta. Mind you, we have no quarrel with any religion in the world. We each have our ishta. But when we see people coming and saying, "This is the only way" and trying to force it on us in India, we have a word to say: we laugh at them. For such people who want to destroy their brothers and sisters because they seem to follow a different path towards God - for them to talk of love is absurd. Their love does not count for much. How can they preach love who cannot bear another person to follow a path different from their own? If that is love, what is hatred? We have no quarrel with any religion in the world, whether it teaches people to worship Christ, Buddha or Muhammad, or any other prophet. "Welcome, my brother, my sister", the Hindu says; "I am going to help you; but you must allow me to follow my way, too. That is my ishta. Your way is very good, no doubt; but it may be dangerous for me. My own experience tells me what food is good for me, and no army of doctors can tell me that. So I know from my own experience what path is the best for me." That is the goal, the ishta; and, therefore, we say that if a temple or a symbol or an image helps you to realize the divinity within, you are welcome to it. Have two hundred images if you like. If certain forms and formularies help you to realize the divine, God speed you; have, by all means, whatever forms and whatever temples and whatever ceremonies you want to bring you nearer to God; but do not quarrel about them; the moment you quarrel, you are not going Godwards; you are going backward towards the brutes. (24)

The more sides you can develop, the more souls you have and you can see the universe through all souls - through the bhakta (devotee), and the jnani (philosopher). Determine your own nature and stick to it. Nishtha (devotion to the ideal) is the only method for the beginner; but with devotion and sincerity it will lead to all. Churches, doctrines, forms are the hedges to protect the tender plant; but they must later be broken down so that the plant may become a tree. So the various religions, Bibles, Vedas, dogmas - all are must tubs for the little plants; but it must get out of the tub. (25)

Cross reference to:

Mund. Up., 2.2.1