IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 123)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 122 were posted earlier. This is part 123. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 123

The Vedanta philosophy, as it is generally called at the present day, really comprises all the various sects that now exist in India. Thus there have been various interpretations; and, to my mind, they have been progressive, beginning with the dualistic or Dvaita and ending with the non-dualistic or Advaita.(23)

Our solution is that the Advaita is not antagonistic to Dvaita (dualism). We say the latter is only one of three steps. The first is dualism. Then we get to a higher state - partial non-dualism. And at last we find we are one with the universe. Therefore the three do not contradict, but fulfill.(24)

4. The Vedanta Contains All of Religion and Its Three Schools Represent the Stages of Humanity’s Gradual Spiritual Growth

If one studies the Vedas between the lines, one sees a religion of harmony.(25)

I want you to note that the three systems [of Indian philosophy] have been current in India almost from time immemorial; for you must not believe that Shankara was the inventor of the Advaita system. It existed ages before Shankara was born; he was one of its last representatives. So with the Vishishtadvaita system; it had existed ages before Ramanuja appeared, as we already know from the commentaries he has written; so with the dualistic systems that have existed side by side with the others. And with my little knowledge I have come to the conclusion that they do not contradict each other.

Just as in the case of the six darshanas [systems of Indian philosophy], we find they are a gradual unfolding of the grand principles whose music, beginning far back in soft, low notes, ends in the triumphant blast of the Advaita, so also in these three systems we find the gradual working up of the human mind towards higher and higher ideals until everything is merged in that wonderful unity which is reached in the Advaita system. Therefore these three are not contradictory.(26)

To realize God, the Brahman (as the Dvaitins say) or to become Brahman (as the Advaitins say) - is the aim and end of the whole teaching of the Vedas; and every other teaching therein contained represents a stage in the course of our progress thereto.(27)