IndiaDivine.org

An interesting Story

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This story is from Chandamama.com

Giver of destiny

A devotee of Lord Brahma was one day worshipping him with great intensity. The lord was just then returning after deciding the destiny of all the children born that day on earth. He saw his devo tee, and appeared before him. "I am pleased with you."The devotee was delighted. "Lord! I consider myself the luckiest man on earth, for, I have had a glimpse of you!""My child, you may ask for a boon."

The devotee did not know what to ask for, because he had not anticipated. He never to see the Lord so soon. For some time he was in a daze. "What? Don't you have any need?" asked the lord of his devotee.He thought for a while and said, "W hen a son is born to me, would you kindly allow me to write his destiny on his forehead?"Nobody had till then asked for such a boon. Brahma thought he would ask His devotee to change his mind. But that would be unfair to the devotee. So the lord kept quiet.The devotee waited for the Lord's response. Brahma said, "All right, let it be so."The devotee went home satisfied. Days passed. A son was born to him. He now got a chance to realise the boon he had received. He meditated on Brahma and prayed to Him, "O Lord, now let me write the destiny of my child."Brahma appeared before him and said, "Let it be so." Then placed his crown on the devotee's head.He now prepared to write the destiny of his child according to his own sweet will. As he was about to do so, the faces of innumerable children flashed before his eyes. They had all been born on the earth that day. He could no t recognize his own son amidst the thousands.The devotee was bewildered. He then cried, "O Lord! Which one is my child?"Brahma, who was standing by his side, said, "You wished to take upon yourself one of my functions. Once I transferred my power to you, something of my consciousness too, had passed on to you. With that divine consciousness, how can you differentiate between children?"Brahma took back his crown and disappeared.After the crown had been taken off his head the devotee had no difficulty in recognizing his son. But it was too late. He did not have the power to write his own child's destiny.